• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Wait wait, SUPER SONIC is coming back? In all stage playable form?

... Holy ****. This really is looking like Sega's best effort in years as time goes on.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'll probably buy this on 360 first. If it's good enough, I may buy it on Wii too, in order to inform Sonic Team...

"YES YES YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT FOR ONCE"

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
no and because sega is stupid they didnt bring him back
Wasn't Hyper Sonic just Super Sonic but annoying to look at?
You're one of those who are still expecting Bean, Nack and Mighty to come back each game, aren't you?

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Hyper Sonic was Super Sonic only with pretty, seizure inducing colors (Not likely but hey) and a dash that killed everything on screen when he did it and could propel him in any direction. He also had multi-images and we all know we like those.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Even more information revealed in an interview with (who I believe is) one of the game developers, Takashi Iizuka:

- If your a fan of Tails and Knuckles, you should be pleased with Episode 2
- Ep. 1 is a prologue
- spin dash, rolling attack, homing attack and a new move
- “I wanted the user to enjoy an easy-to-play feeling by the attack sequence that this [homing attack] allows, and find the fun routes in the air.”
- classic special stages
- Classic Sonic Gameplay, classic Sonic speed, no floaty gameplay, Says Izuka.
- Not 3-D, but all CG pre-render.
- Gamers will get classic “try again” ending if not successful when attempting to collect all the chaos emeralds. If you get all emeralds, you'll get the cliffhanger ending for episode 2.
- “If Sonic 4’s return to form is the Sonic experience you have been waiting 16 years for, then we strongly encourage you to try this.”
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=116479

The two things that strike me is the developer saying himself that the actual gameplay is not floaty like the beta version leaked a few weeks ago, and that Sonic acquires a new move in this game. Wonder what it is this time around.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Homing attack sounds pretty lame honestly.
The Homing Attack was borderline useless in the Rush series, but I can see it implemented in this game, since it seems its the only way to access higher up routes, as Tails is not playable in Episode 1. Sonic would just need a huge height boost after hitting a robot with the HA.

Also, by "classic special stages" does it mean from Sonic 1, or 2, or 3/Knuckles?
The leaked Sonic 4 video a few weeks back has the stage select screen up for a few seconds. Of those stages, "Special Stage" was in the center. The picture for the Special Stages had Sonic in a Sonic 1 Special Stage-esque environment. So it's likely Sonic 1.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Here's Hyper Sonic for people who don't know or remember.

Can't wait for this game :bee:

finalark

SNORLAX
What?
im saying it was a good concept and the way they worte him off was dumb. they didnt even explain why they havent used him anymore. yeah sega makes me rage when they do dumb stuff... like making a light *** download lol
I still don't get why you have a problem with this game being a download. I'd rather pay ten bucks for this rather than pay sixty for another one of Sonic crappy 3D adventures.

You want to know why they dropped him? Two words: Game. Breaker. Besides, Super Sonic has pretty much been established as being the OMG AMAZING SUPER SAIYAN in every game since. Just let go of the fact that they don't use him anymore and let Sega make this new game.

BSP

Smash Legend
Hyper Sonic looked so much cooler, and it made you feel/felt more accomplished when you finally got/get him.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I still don't get why you have a problem with this game being a download. I'd rather pay ten bucks for this rather than pay sixty for another one of Sonic crappy 3D adventures.

You want to know why they dropped him? Two words: Game. Breaker. Besides, Super Sonic has pretty much been established as being the OMG AMAZING SUPER SAIYAN in every game since. Just let go of the fact that they don't use him anymore and let Sega make this new game.
i have a problem because it took hardly any effort to do this silly wannabe throwback.
wanting hyper sonic is no different then the millions of fanboys whining about not being able to transform into supersonic any time you want. How the heck was he game breaking. he met all the requirements of supersonic and was better. the way the introduced him and wrote him off was a stupid mistake on segas behalf. they had no explanation.

finalark

SNORLAX
i have a problem because it took hardly any effort to do this silly wannabe throwback.
Effort does not always traslate over into quality.

wanting hyper sonic is no different then the millions of fanboys whining about not being able to transform into supersonic any time you want.
Meh, good point.

How the heck was he game breaking.
Hyper Sonic was Super Sonic only with pretty, seizure inducing colors (Not likely but hey) and a dash that killed everything on screen when he did it and could propel him in any direction. He also had multi-images and we all know we like those.
he met all the requirements of supersonic and was better. the way the introduced him and wrote him off was a stupid mistake on segas behalf. they had no explanation.
They just didn't put him into future instalments I guess. Then again, I personally think that the Genesis series and that the 3D series have seperate cotinuity. Yeah, Hyper Sonic was cool but I really don't see him as a vital part of the series.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually looking forward to this in some way now. Super Sonic's back, non-floaty classic Sonic gameplay... Regardless of Sega's recent past it's hard not to get excited at this info.

I'm actually curious how accurate this "classic Sonic speed" is. For that matter, I wonder if the level designs will even come close to matching what the old games had to offer.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The last episode will have some new transformation for the final final boss. Either that, or another Doomsday Zone but not as good.
They can't help themselves.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Hey, look. Info.

So, yeah. Despite some people here assuming it's going to be a rehash based off a single image, it's not. Apparently only the first boss is a twist off the original boss (don't know why people were concerned, it's not like that's the first time that boss has reappeared).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Now I know why people hate Sonic fans.

Mega Man 9 was WILDLY successful, and that was what? Oh yeah, one of your so-called "light *** downloads". I hate downloadable games, I like physically owning them, but complaining about the lack of effort because it's downloadable? Ugh. I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's downloadable if it's actually going to be a decent game, and thus far it looks much better than all of Sega's recent attempts at a Sonic game.

Not to mention that it's really funny how you're complaining about how little effort went into this game and you haven't even played it yet.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Now I know why people hate Sonic fans.

Mega Man 9 was WILDLY successful, and that was what? Oh yeah, one of your so-called "light *** downloads". I hate downloadable games, I like physically owning them, but complaining about the lack of effort because it's downloadable? Ugh. I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's downloadable if it's actually going to be a decent game, and thus far it looks much better than all of Sega's recent attempts at a Sonic game.

Not to mention that it's really funny how you're complaining about how little effort went into this game and you haven't even played it yet.
whoopee for mega man...
yes the fact that its a light *** download does come into play. to try and convince me otherwise is a waste of time. I dont speak for the largest demographic of sonic fans I speak for me. I liked some of those recent sonic games. or course we all know its impossible to draw opinions from seeing gameplay footage ( end sarcasm)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
whoopee for mega man...
yes the fact that its a light *** download does come into play. to try and convince me otherwise is a waste of time. I dont speak for the largest demographic of sonic fans I speak for me. I liked some of those recent sonic games. or course we all know its impossible to draw opinions from seeing gameplay footage ( end sarcasm)
It doesn't come into play unless you're close-minded to the point that the game being a download makes a difference, as if the game being sold in a disk would make it any better or worse.

Opinions drawn from gameplay footage are also inherently fairly inaccurate, especially given the limited footage we've seen. How many people could tell how floaty Brawl was (for better or for worse) by videos? I sure couldn't, and I watched a TON of videos. You don't know what a game is going to be like until you've played it.

Coming to a conclusion this early based on the fact that it's a download is silly. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I'm just informing you that it's silly and acting as if the game is objectively bad or something because it's a download is silly, because most people don't think that.

Isn't Dimps making this game?
Sonic Team and Dimps are both working on it.

Doesn't really matter, it's irrelevant to my point, which is that Sega should be informed of what direction to take, and more sales with this game is going to make them more likely to do so if this game is good.

Top Bottom