• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 20th Anniversary

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

http://sonic.sega.jp/20th/

With a milestone such as this, often comes a year of great games to celebrate the longevity of this legendary series. Much like Mario who just recently celebrated his 25th birthday this year, 2011 will celebrate 20 long years of Sonic goodness ever since his debut in 1991.

The site linked is merely a teaser and while there is no major info to be had just yet save for things said on multiple sites, be it Sonic 3DS, Mario & Sonic (that's not a sports title), rumors of Sonic Adventure 3, the fabled 20th Anniversary game that has reimagined old school levels, and so on,

This thread will be used to discuss all of the upcoming Sonic titles of 2011. Thought it'd be nice to compile everything here! When summer rolls around I'll be doing something to wish the blue blur a happy birthday! So let's start this new year off with a bang.

Happy New Year everyone! Also, if we can, try and keep the pessimism down (for anyone left sour over more recent Sonic games), nobody likes a downer.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, 2010 was a pretty good year for Sonic. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, and Sonic Colors (especially) were all pretty good games. I'm hoping that 2011 continues this trend and not be as terrible as Sonic's 15th anniversary.

:069:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Well Sonic as a series is pretty awful now so I don't even see why they're celebrating it.
If they didn't, I'd see it as them giving up. Nothing good ever came of just giving up, I find. That and Poltergust is right. 2010 has been a rather solid year for Sonic, and on top of that, I'm one of the few that are less critical of the recent Sonic games (though I'm not that crazy. 2006 Sonic? ... yikes.)

To each their own, but not celebrating 20 years of an inarguably iconic gaming franchise would be silly.

[EDIT]

Wasn't Sonic Adventure 2 released in 2001 as a celebration of the 10th Anniversary of Sonic? Having a true follow-up in Sonic Adventure 3 as the 20th Anniversary mark would be amazing. Let's see what happens.

Bring us the diversity gameplay and smoothness that 2 had and make it better, SEGA! ...or in other words, bring us what Sonic 2006 could have been if it weren't the faultiest/****tiest beta release ever created. Seriously, that game had potential. So much potential and is the closest game as of late to try and recapture the Sonic Adventure-feel of gameplay.

It just...crashed and burned so hard. lmao

Spire

III
BRoomer
What's his face, some American chairman of Sega said in last month's Game Informer that 2011 will usher in some huge Sonic titles.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Considering all the notable acclaimed Sonic games came from 2010, I would just consider 2010 a high point for Sonic. If SEGA can keep the quality in its 2011 titles, it would mark the 20th anniversary as a huge comeback for the guy.

From what I found on forums, and if the predictions about the game are correct, the anniversary game could be titled "Sonic Gauntlet," which makes sense given the predicated atmosphere of the game.

lol@ the paraphrasing of the first post. I should have made this topic. :p

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sounds like you think I'm mad, but I'm not. Just hating myself for not having the foresight to make this topic XD.

So yeah,

Sonic 3DS

Mario & Sonic. Still banking on a Mario Party.

Sonic Anniversary, with a predicted title of "Sonic Gauntlet"

Sonic Adventure 3

And Sonic 4: Episode 2

2011's gonna be tight.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
XD It's fine. What's important is that the topic is there, right? Would you feel better if I had a Sonic avi instead of Cloud? To make this more Sonic-like? XD

I hope that most if not all of those are right. I have a feeling that Sonic Gauntlet, if that is the supposed name, is gonna be a pre-release name. Like how Sonic Wildfire was changed to Sonic & The Secret Rings later.

Sonic Anniversary or Sonic the Hedgehog: 20th Anniversary would be good titles for it I think.

Sariku

Smash Master
I'm pretty excited for this new game<3
I didn't purchase Sonic Colors yet due to the lack of having my Wii with me at the time, but I'll pick it up when I get some spare cash.

I hope the game comes out on PS3/360 though. I know there hasn't been a good 3D game that wasn't a racer or whatever yet, but I'm hoping they can pull something off.
Though Sonic Unleashed was okay. I prefer it on the Wii.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Just finished Sonic Colors today. 44 S ranks, 180 red rings, I really liked that game >.>; But yeah, Episode 2 of Sonic4 is soon no?

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
So I watched a video about the differences between Sonic Genesis and the original version, and all I gotta say is what the hell is wrong with sega?!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Iizuka explains the secret to making 2D gameplay work:

I think there are various kinds of 2D platformer and each one of them focuses on different game elements. In the case of Sonic games, I put a premium on the game tempo of the stage.

A game cannot be constructed with only speed elements and a game with only jump actions is not a Sonic. Though jump actions bring a feeling of tension and cause a lot of stress, it’s an element giving the player a great sense of achievement when completed.

In addition to that, maximizing the feeling of achievement and exhilaration in a game whilst still providing the speed is the basic concept – and also real pleasure – of Sonic games.
This could provide a small glimpse of what SEGA has in store for upcoming Sonic games, although it's a bit general.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
http://normalboots.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=11&lang=en

That is all.

EDIT: Actually, Sega All Stars racing is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new Sonic R, and I'm okay with it. That was actually a pretty good game.
i mean a game where sonic can be on foot like he supposed to though
the idea of sonic r wasnt bad its just that the game needed more levels and better design

maybe a sonic racing game could have the type of vehicle you use like diddy kong racing

like have sonic on foot
or a car
or a hoverboard

tails on foot
tornado
or a car

stuff like that

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sonic R2

Now that would be awesome. It'd be funny if they went off the F-Zero GX engine but translated it/modified it for Sonic characters on foot. Obviously with way more control.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Oh Sonic, I grew up a Nintendo person, but I've always loved your games. 10 was a good anniversary, 15th was HORRIBLE. Let's have something amazing for 20th.

NO MORE FREAKIN' COMPILATIONS. WE'VE PLAYED SONIC 1 A MILLION TIMES, THANK YOU.

Blackadder

Smash Master
NO MORE FREAKIN' COMPILATIONS. WE'VE PLAYED SONIC 1 A MILLION TIMES, THANK YOU.
I think if Sega cut the port/remake market out of their business, the Sonic brand name would just drop down stone dead (which is far from a bad thing).

The first ten years of Sonic is mostly worth celebrating and remembering, though. w00t for Sonic 2!

Top Bottom