• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something to remember for when the Brawl roster does get leaked.... (on topic)

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo could make a killing, or rather a genocide, on drop-feeding new characters to people.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
History repeats itself. If the Brawl roster is leaked, the it WILL recieve backlash because there is no roster that can make eveyone happy

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Seems liek this thread was right on time..

As we see, the sad sad state of smashers when it turns out their favorite character isn't in the game.

That recent thread just proves that even when we get the real leak, no one will believe it, and the thread will probably be closed.

Mama

Smash Ace
Well I already knew that the roster would wind up online. Its not a leak since it'll be released somewhere else first. Like everything else it'll be posted online. All the characters I really hoped are in (Sonic). Everything else is a bonus so I don't care really.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Japan release for Brawl is january 24,
Im getting my US COPY of Brawl on January 27, two weeks before Brawl Launches in US...
I really dont care for rosters but All I care about is getting the game before the Launch,
THANK U BLACK MARKET!!!!!

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'd mind too many characters but if it gets to be an overload ( a la Marvel Vs Capcom 2) then it just looks stuffy.
I remember trying to pick a character in MvC2 and taking forever to find someone that I could recognize, let alone play well with, & it didn't help that there was a time limit so I just ended up with 3 characters that I had no idea how to use since the computer selected them for me.
Not implying that the Character Selection screen has a time-limit on Brawl but if there was an excess of characters it might be necessary. I can just picture people saying. "Oh, who is that?" , "Ooh I like her dress but nooOo, how about her all the way on the other side of the screen!?" *10 minutes later.* "Okay, I picked!"

peachy!

super princess
Remember that on January 15th, KoroKoro magazine (or whatever it is called) will have a special edition in which it will contain 30 cards. Each card will be a starter character. It was also mentioned that some characters will have several cards, such as Pokemon Trainer (because of his three Pokemon) and Samus (because of ZZS).

At least it seems like we'll know the starter characters in about a week and a half.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

As you can see, I would not be surprised if a similar circumstance happens regarding Brawl's roster. It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar. Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did. Anyone have ideas as to when and how the Brawl roster will be leaked?

japanese relase nuff said...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, I think history may be repeating itself soon enough. Though I don't think it will be as early as the Melee roster one was (20 days before the Japanese release).

Also, to all of those that enjoyed what I wrote in this topic, you would not mind voting for me as Most Intelligent in the Forum Awards? I am kind of the underdog, so I desperately need your votes, and I would appreciate it if you did end up deciding to cast your vote for me. Remember though that voting ends in less than five hours, and that it ends at 11:59 PM EST today. A link to the voting booth is in my signature. Anyway, that is my last mention of promoting myself in the Forum Awards in this topic, and will soon be sleeping in a hour, so I hope I wake up to the results in the morning.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I just wonder that if the trio of credible "prophets" are right, will they be remembered? Somehow I see many people treating them as if its their fault things turned out that way, lol.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just wonder that if the trio of credible "prophets" are right, will they be remembered? Somehow I see many people treating them as if its their fault things turned out that way, lol.
If they are all right, I will probably be making a topic similar to this one prior to Smash Bros. 4 coming out about the Brawl leak mentioning them, and how a lot of people did not believe them. :laugh:

However, personally I hope they are wrong because I don't want a 35 character roster (I feel that there is going to be a massive backlash, because many people are obviously expecting much more), the roster from what these three people are saying seems dull, and I don't want another delay for the North American version of Brawl.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I guess that last paragraph is mostly aimed at NyaseNya hehe... But yeah, the possibilty of no playable Ridley, Mewtwo being removed, and Wolf making it in over Krystal would cause quite the shakeup. The common logic and expectations of the forums... It would seem that Sakurai thinks like the common n00b (he 2 big! mewtoo suxxorz shud be axe! wolfs just cooler!)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I guess that last paragraph is mostly aimed at NyaseNya hehe... But yeah, the possibilty of no playable Ridley, Mewtwo being removed, and Wolf making it in over Krystal would cause quite the shakeup. The common logic and expectations of the forums... It would seem that Sakurai thinks like the common n00b (he 2 big! mewtoo suxxorz shud be axe! wolfs just cooler!)
Yeah, I can't see how Star Fox would get three representatives, and Metroid only getting one (ZSS is still just a transformation, even Sakurai himself admits ZSS is not a pure character addition).

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i actually see mewtwo being axed as un-noobish.

excepting the new over the old is kind of the edjucated brawl guessers path.

but no ridley at all in smash is unlikely .

althoguh ridley not playable isn't as impossible as people assume, i mean he may just be to "non-human" to make work (you can argue this back and forth all you want, unless you actually worked on the mechanics of a smash game you don't really know if this is to difficult or not).but even if he isn't a playable character i expect at least boss or assist trophy status.

then you got wolf who is possible but of course krystal takes priority over him and the star fox reps should logically be a small amount (3 at MOST).

of course the" hopeful" is still mewtwo in, ridley in, krystal over wolf but it isn't absolutely impossible for at least 1 of these things to happen.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did.
His hopes were, as a result of the insults flying in this forum, in vain.

C'mon guys, stop hating each other because one person thinks a roster is believable and another person doesn't. It's really annoying to see people getting so angry about something like this.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
There are a few consistent faces on the rosters, such as Black Shadow, Wolf, and Lucario. I doubt they're off. ChaosZero seems to be the most reliable one here with his dragoon part revelation. He was also unassuming. I think we can safely surmise that Wolf and Lucario are either trophies or on the roster, but, on the flip side, there are ever more trolls than there were in 2000/2001 with more access to photoshop and more knowledge of the gullibility of forum goers, so I will remain eternally suspect of any of these so-called prophets. Still, I think the poster is right--there's a good chance it will leak. Even the heavily guarded Wiimote/Nunchuk combo leaked before the TGS conference. I remember is was from an unassuming guy who drew a crude picture of how it was described to him on paint, and it turned out to be accurate. You just never know.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
honestly, i just dont believe any of the leaks right now.

the most credible i think are the one that claims to be from Prima and the one from the person who predicted the Dragoon. The Prima leak was dismissed as fake, but now we look back at it, and Olimar and Shiek are IN DOJO ORDER on the list! That is to say, Shiek is listed after Ice Climbers, and Olimar after Dedede. This could be a luck guess, but i think too lucky. Now, the only catch to this is: Did Nintendo submit the characters to be put in the magazine in Dojo order? Odviously there is very little chance of Prima knowing what order they will be updated in the Dojo.

But honestly, I think this is the most likely roster at this point.

Prince Karo

Smash Apprentice
honestly, i just dont believe any of the leaks right now.

the most credible i think are the one that claims to be from Prima and the one from the person who predicted the Dragoon. The Prima leak was dismissed as fake, but now we look back at it, and Olimar and Shiek are IN DOJO ORDER on the list! That is to say, Shiek is listed after Ice Climbers, and Olimar after Dedede. This could be a luck guess, but i think too lucky. Now, the only catch to this is: Did Nintendo submit the characters to be put in the magazine in Dojo order? Odviously there is very little chance of Prima knowing what order they will be updated in the Dojo.

But honestly, I think this is the most likely roster at this point.
Unfortunatly, that roster is now deconfermed because it didn't have Lucario in it.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
You called it, Chronobound, I wholeheartedly agree that History is repeating itself. R.O.B. is looking more and more to be the Young Link/Dr. Mario/Pichu of Brawl.

Still, I remain a neutral figure at this point, I don't like leaving myself open to being kicked in the teeth later on, and I don't like having people sing the "I was right and you were wrong! I'm gonna sing the "I was right!" song!" at me.

I would say the evidence lays in favor of the 35 character roster, but a shadow of reasonable doubt remains.

raul

Smash Lord
After seeing so many roster leaks, I don't know what TO believe anymore.

All we need to know is this: whoever is confirmed through leaks is definitely going to be greeted by large backlash, whoever it is.
I doubt you're the only one feeling that way. I am too. I've lost the ability to believe any leak at this point.

BlueWave

Smash Apprentice
ChronoBound, you are the man. What happened with Melee is EXACTLY happening over again. The roster has been leaked, people are in denial, and I know that everyone will still enjoy the game.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
BlueWave, there were plenty of FAKE leaks at the time of Melee's release, too. Some just as elaborate. Don't so easily buy into something that's very questionable.

smash_lord1050

Smash Apprentice
jeez so many leaks, so many rosters to believe and to not believe. im so confused. lets hope sakuari keeps those charectars come. the more the better. . .

Sanu

Smash Champion
Yes, yes it was. Thank you for bumping it, the first post was a nice read =P

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Good points, except for that part (emphasis mine). You lost your open-mindedness and neutrality with that. Plus, seriously, give up on Ness already. Even somebody like me who loves playing Melee Ness can realize that he's out (except maybe as a costume a la Overalls Wario -- but now even that chance is slim since the "only Wario is special" update).

That said, I don't think the roster is as big of a deal as it used to be. The Japan release is coming soon and we will know the entire roster then, either from Sakurai or from some crazy Japanese kids playing constantly until they unlock everything.
i don't know i think he's pretty likely

Top Bottom