• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something to remember for when the Brawl roster does get leaked.... (on topic)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

As you can see, I would not be surprised if a similar circumstance happens regarding Brawl's roster. It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar. Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did. Anyone have ideas as to when and how the Brawl roster will be leaked?

Tony_

Smash Ace
After seeing so many roster leaks, I don't know what TO believe anymore.

All we need to know is this: whoever is confirmed through leaks is definitely going to be greeted by large backlash, whoever it is.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
first or second day of Japanese release date we will know the roster ( i don't want to know it. i will do it myself) or we will have the odd character leak from a small source. nice bit of info there.

EDIT: lol copy and paste. lol

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
Heh either way, I don't blame those people for flaming the group that leaked melee's roster because I'm sure there were plenty of fakes running around then too. Finding out who is telling the truth and who are just lying is going to be the difficult or rather impossible part about this. Still with only about 3 weeks until the Japanese release I'll just be patient and wait for confirmations.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.
Good points, except for that part (emphasis mine). You lost your open-mindedness and neutrality with that. Plus, seriously, give up on Ness already. Even somebody like me who loves playing Melee Ness can realize that he's out (except maybe as a costume a la Overalls Wario -- but now even that chance is slim since the "only Wario is special" update).

That said, I don't think the roster is as big of a deal as it used to be. The Japan release is coming soon and we will know the entire roster then, either from Sakurai or from some crazy Japanese kids playing constantly until they unlock everything.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good points, except for that part (emphasis mine). You lost your open-mindedness and neutrality with that. Plus, seriously, give up on Ness already. Even somebody like me who loves playing Melee Ness can realize that he's out (except maybe as a costume a la Overalls Wario -- but now even that chance is slim since the "only Wario is special" update).

That said, I don't think the roster is as big of a deal as it used to be. The Japan release is coming soon and we will know the entire roster then, either from Sakurai or from some crazy Japanese kids playing constantly until they unlock everything.
I was just making a comparison. I also think that Ness is most likely out, just read my ULTIMATE analysis topic.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ah, good idea to make the post into a thread. This is some history that all should remember so that they wont immediately dismiss any and all possible leaks...

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I'm so eager to know the roster but at the same time I want to find out on my own when I play the game. I'm trying my best to avoid anyone who claims to know the entire roster but I could tell that is going to be a problem when the game is released in Japan. Man...

The only thing I'm scared of is finding out that the roster isn't as big as I want it to be. I'm hoping at least 36 characters. But that is already too little since the starting roster is 24 characters. Well, whatever. I'm also hoping they don't have any clone characters like Melee. That would be a HUGE disappointment for me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Huge difference...Melee was rushed. And just like there was carelessness with the uniqueness of movesets, there was probably carelessness in keeping information confidential.
Actually, clones were put into Melee due to Sakurai having extra time.

It's a big misconception that clones were due to Sakurai not having enough time. It was actually do to him having EXTRA time. As the journal translation says, Sakurai unintentionally reached the number of characters he did. If it was unintentional, obviously he didn't have a number that he was required to reach.

He discusses this in the old Melee site in some of the clone's (or as he calls them "Model switch characters") profiles why they were chosen for Brawl. Star Fox was popular at the time, so he threw in Falco; He liked the Dr. Mario music so he threw in Dr. Mario; The team noticed that Ganondorf had similar body proportions to Captain Falcon and was popular so he put him in. It did not have to do with a lack of time. Feel free to read about it here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/so...character.html

Thanks to Zoo-bellocks for pointing this out.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I think I would've prefered if he'd given Ganondorf a full-fledged own moveset, though.

Masky64

Smash Cadet
Hopefully Sakuari adds as many characters as he can. The more characters the better.

Macrofly

Smash Cadet
So, another lesson from this story could be "Even if the Brawl roster doesn't turn out how we'd like, we'll still get over it eventually and come to love the game, just like melee."? >_>

That's kind of what I got from it, because I didn't know about the community backlashing at the melee roster leaks and everything until just now.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
What i also think he is saying is that never rebuke everything just because you don't like it.
*cough*lucarioreplacingmewtwo*cough*

Chiastic

Smash Apprentice
if megaman doesnt make it i'll cry a bit cause i think that was a very VERY important franchise on the NES. but if he doesnt make it, i'll still love the game to death and play it like crazy. hey i love melee with all the clones and all the imbalances, i cant imagine how good brawl will be, and it will most likely have clones, just probably not in a melee manner (where most unlockables were clones).

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I can see a similar situation happening...

For example, I could see the Brawl leaker saying that the final WTF character is Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age and he would be representing the Touch Generations Universe.

People would laugh and then the day before release in japan, a screenshot is shown wiht the full roster,and included is Dr. Kawashima. HAHA. That would be priceless.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I can see a similar situation happening...

For example, I could see the Brawl leaker saying that the final WTF character is Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age and he would be representing the Touch Generations Universe.

People would laugh and then the day before release in japan, a screenshot is shown wiht the full roster,and included is Dr. Kawashima. HAHA. That would be priceless.
Don't even joke like that, man.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
That's not a joke, I totally would love to see Dr. Kawashima in Brawl in SOME form.

And really, I can almost guarantee he will be, he was mentioned on Sakurai's poll NUMEROUS times.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I continue my stance that I sure hope the roster is not leaked, but I am pretty sure that once it is leaked in Japan, the leaks will be rampant.

I for one am going to have to read next to no topics in hear after that. I wasn't planning on coming at all, but since I was elected to be a writer, I will come here to do my job.

I know most of you don't care, but man, I like some surprises in my life. Otherwise where is the fun?

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
This is a great topic. I actually remember the great anger that appeared when those screenshots were posted on smashboards before melee. I remember the "box misalignment" argument. The guy who posted those pictures went under heavy fire from people demanding more info and proof. It's rather hard though to give concrete proof without being called a liar. Pictures can be faked, credited sources can be made up. Probably the only thing that would convince people would be videos, except a real video of brawl would be near impossible to get.

Now history of course repeats itself. Every person claiming to have information about brawl is attacked, in the first post, with "FAKE!" or "CLOSE THIS TOPIC!". In these poster's defense, pretty much all the claimed information has indeed been fake, but if such comments are automatic they will surely be used when the information is indeed real.

Obviously everyone on these boards wants some sort of information about brawl before playing it, otherwise they wouldn't be on these boards in the first place, nor would they be checking the dojo on a daily bases. But when true information comes, it would be flamed. It's rather humourous, in my opinion.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Also, I hope everyone remembers to spoiler tag on the day of the leak. I might want to see the info but that doesn't mean I have thew right to spoil it for people who don't want to know...

:034:

Smash Hero
I think and hope the roster will have a few WTF characters and suprises. But most of it is probably rather predictable. I think the only credible source is a Dojo update or the Japanese release itself.

Also, FrogButler, you support Arceus! I like you!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Sonic had a similar situation to the melee leaks, in a way. Before he was revealed, all of the haters called the supporters fanboys and idiots, with proof like "But that guy said he's not in the cards at this moment!" Even when things were brought up in defense of Sonic, the haters could not accept the fact that a character they don't like might be in the roster and that "I don't like him" doesn't decrease his chances. And then when he WAS confirmed, there was tons of backlash such as "It's all his fault for the delay!" And the cycle continues...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is a great topic. I actually remember the great anger that appeared when those screenshots were posted on smashboards before melee. I remember the "box misalignment" argument. The guy who posted those pictures went under heavy fire from people demanding more info and proof. It's rather hard though to give concrete proof without being called a liar. Pictures can be faked, credited sources can be made up. Probably the only thing that would convince people would be videos, except a real video of brawl would be near impossible to get.

Now history of course repeats itself. Every person claiming to have information about brawl is attacked, in the first post, with "FAKE!" or "CLOSE THIS TOPIC!". In these poster's defense, pretty much all the claimed information has indeed been fake, but if such comments are automatic they will surely be used when the information is indeed real.

Obviously everyone on these boards wants some sort of information about brawl before playing it, otherwise they wouldn't be on these boards in the first place, nor would they be checking the dojo on a daily bases. But when true information comes, it would be flamed. It's rather humourous, in my opinion.
I concur. I feel that when the Brawl roster is leaked there will be much anger and denial.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Legitimate roster leaks will start happening in about 10 days. I predict the roster will have somewhere between 35-42 characters.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Hopefully Sakuari adds as many characters as he can. The more characters the better.
Turn the game into some Dragon Ball Z tenkachi 13 or whatever number they're at?

No thanks.
_________
This is why I believe everything the "prophet" has said, I have no real reason not to.

Plus the most insane prediction came true

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
And then when he WAS confirmed, there was tons of backlash such as "It's all his fault for the delay!" And the cycle continues...
Does anyone else feel it a tad ironic that one of the fastest video game characters caused a delay? (not that I believe that)

The roster will be elaked rather soon, methinks. There will be many nay-sayers, but blah dee blah dee BLAH. Basically what you said.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I concur. I feel that when the Brawl roster is leaked there will be much anger and denial.
Which is why I'm trying to detach myself from the characters I want in, so that way I won't be too upset when I find out about the final roster. The arguments in the forums have been driving me nuts lately though.

Top Bottom