• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that should help against Snake's Dthrow techchase

cutter

Smash Champion
Ok, so I watching a vid of Leepuff against some Snake and on one of his stocks Leepuff got rocked by Snake's Dthrow techchase... it lead into a few regrabs and then a dash attack by Snake to stagespike Leepuff for the kill.

We know that G&W has a horrible techroll, yet we still do it, leading into punishment via a tilt for damage or a KO or another regrab. Especially when Snake can sit in the shield to cover a get-up attack as well.

But there's another option.

Simply STAND UP.

That's it. Tap up on the control stick to quickly stand up to make a quick escape. The next time you get grabbed, do something else; ie if they expect you to stand up do a get-up attack. If you make a bit of a habit to stand up as one of your techchase options, your opponent now has another option they need to consider in addition to the other techchase options.

I was talking with t0mmy about this, and he does this as well which I don't find surprising considering he mains ROB (another character with an awful techroll).

Will this completely eliminate the potential problems that can come from Snake's Dthrow? Definately not, considering I believe it's one of the best throws in the game to begin with because of your limited options after being Dthrowed. It will however help though to keep you from always getting rocked by the Dthrow.

If you already knew about this, good for you. If not, hopefully other G&Ws can just take this nice morsel of advice to keep yourselves from getting Dthrowed into oblivion.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
sounds really simple but i'm sure a lot of people don't know about this lol

i'll try it and see how it goes:o

thank y00's

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Yeah I do this against Snakes a lot. I just stand up then upB outta there, and sometimes gets some free %. I mix it up with get up attack too, and occasionally rolling.

Neb

Smash Lord
I thought this was common knowledge, but its really out there now if anyone didn't know.
After standing up, I sometimes buffer a turnaround jab, grab, upb, or just walk/dash away, just to list a few more mix-up options.

Nice post, cutter.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I knew this. Darn, I was really hoping something amazing had been found.

You shoulda felt the tension too, because my Chrome crashed THREE TIMES trying to open this topic >_<

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Well yeah, but you could've did a get up attack if you saw the jabs. But yeah you may have been pressing up right when he dthrowed you, not your fault. :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Standing up is punishable on reaction if the snake thinks you are going forward at all or doing a get-up attack. He will just pivot grab you as he runs past you.

It's better to try and predict where they will chase you, then roll and mash up-B. Or to just lay there, then roll or stand up.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's punishable, but I do it all the time on the first dthrow from a Snake player. Typically they expect you do to something else, like getup attack or roll, and then change tactics to break the tech chase, and this assumption allows you to usually just stand up and UpB out. I mean, this isn't always the case, but standing up has always been a good option versus Snake's Dthrow.

...needless to say, this is sorta... old.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
i just mix the things up

- upB
- stand up
- get-up atack

i never roll beacuase the awful techroll, but all the 3 things are punishable (he can regrab you out of upB in the begin frame's) but if you mix up these things snake got a hard time to tech chase gaw.

and if you stay layying look out for the c4 he can plant on you.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
We know, but some people think it's stupid and it'll never work and it's better to just get up attack or roll.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I used to do this a lot. Just stand up then UpB. But once my friends, who I practice with regularly, caught on I would get punish everytime. So I started rolling.

I don't think there's a simple answer to Snake's dthrow, he seems to always have some option.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
I used to do this a lot. Just stand up then UpB. But once my friends, who I practice with regularly, caught on I would get punish everytime. So I started rolling.

I don't think there's a simple answer to Snake's dthrow, he seems to always have some option.
yeah all follow ups against a snake Dthrow can be punishd, so you need to predict snake and mix up your things. But i think most of the time upb will work beacause not many snake players knows that you can regrab that.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
you know what tricks most snakes?

waiting,

they'll wait also, most snakes don't instantly jab because they can be hit with a get up attack. So on the first D-throw most wait, or expect you to do a forward roll because it's the hardest to punish.

So i usually wait for a sec and then wait for them to react to that. If they try to attack me after that I do a get up attack or stand up to-Up B

It's really a game of rock paper scissors. So theres no GURANTEE choice

T0MMY

Smash Master
I was talking with t0mmy about this, and he does this as well which I don't find surprising considering he mains ROB (another character with an awful techroll).
R.O.B. has an awful techroll? What? I guess I played too many years of Pichu. That cute little mouse basically took a hundred frames just to crawl a step away X^D

But I mostly stand up because that gives me the advantage. R.O.B.'s D-Smash is amazing, G&W doesn't have that.
D-Smash eats Shields and can score a hit that way. If they drop their shield, they're hit. If they're on either side of me, they can get hit. It's 5 frames... tough luck reacting fast enough.

Standing up is good for R.O.B., but you're going to have to play around a bit with some of G&W's attacks after standing up or else you're going to get punished. Try your bugspray continually eating at Snake's Shield leading to D-Tilt or something. I don't play G&W, so I can't' say.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
IIRC G&W is one of those we can jab > grab if you do nothing. From that jab, if the jab doesn't hit we have time to cover all of your rolls or grab you from a normal getup. This jab option forces you to buffer a getup attack to avoid all of the above.

Alternatively we can shield and that covers basically all of your options.

We just have to react to G&W to tech chase him. Albeit getup/getup attack are the harder options to react to. We need to predict the getup attack and shield, and we need to predict the getup and grab/attack before you can up-B away.

Top Bottom