• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that might help - Updated!!!

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
So I was thinking...

wtf
da medagame is **** we get ***** left and right.

And so I looked back and I remembered this one dude made this one thread about something that might help us out a bit.

Running away.

Basically this is what happens:

1) You go into the fray. You damage your opponent as much as possible.
2) When the situation turns negative, which it will (dude... you're playing falcon) then you use evasive action! Some Primary Options Are:
- Roll back pivot and run.
- Jump back
- Falcon KYICKH - Falcon Kick is an interesting move. It starts off with decent priority. Then towards the middle it lessens in priority. By the end it will get punished very easily. Falcon kick continues to go whether you hit your opponent or not. This helps, because if your opponent gets in the way of your escape, Falcon kick can take you where you want to go and potentially shove off your opponent. It cannot be reversed.
Falcon Kick will continue to send you in the way you were going even if you end up offstage. This helps if you want to retaliate. You can use your second jump to position your self for a b-air, Raptor Boost, or Falcon Dive. You can Kyick your way offstage and then jump back and grab the edge. Just be careful not to abuse this move because if you are an idiot, you can get easily punished.

3) Breathe a little
4) Return with an appropriate approach.

Invading their personal bubble

Each character likes to stay behind a certain wall of defense. A certain distance apart where they can do damage and its difficult for you to retaliate. We don't have too big of a comfort zone because Falcon is sort of a close combat type of character.

So when we run away we need to come back with an approach that can sort of get you in their personal bubble. You might want to use SHAD. Considering they will most likely try to fend you off. Or you might want to run into them with a shield and then grab them. Using a safe approach will get you into most characters personal bubble.

Raptor boost is a decent option. It can get you from point A to B very fast, and can get you past the wall your opponent has set up. And on contact it will send your opponent high enough that the likely hood of you getting punished will be very slim.

Running, Jumping, Landing, and the Falcon Diving during your slide will increase your range slightly. May help in some cases

Ground - Aerial Transitions.

Now you pound their face off. You want to get them either off stage for the gimp or you want them to take a respectable amount of damage.

You are on the ground though. And to safely get them into the air you need to use a nice transition in which both characters end up in the air and you get there safely.

I would prefer SH N-air > Jab > Grab > Pummel > D-throw > U-air.
The nice thing about this is that you are still generally safe in the air because U-air covers you pretty well above. Also at high percents U-air can kill.

Or you could use

Jab > F-throw > D-air > to B-air

This is a bit riskier but it screams GTFO away from me.

And then you can run away.

They'll chase you prolly.

But that is when you can retaliate with a retreating aerial like b-air or something.

You all probably knew this but...you know...whatever:)

Being 3rd from the bottom we get the right to be cheap.

This is very versatile stuff. I only mentioned a few of the thousands of possibilities. Add your own flair. Just play safely.
--DarX or CrazyTony

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I find this disrespectful towards people who developed falcon's Metagame to where it is today.

And this was posted already. By me. And by others before me, which, I got flamed for before.

I am with you Darx, but when the newest falcon backroom died out, it was clear to me these kinds of threads (read: actual useful threads), and/or ways to change this board aren't going to help this community/actually change the board.

This community has:
Darx - #1
Face124 - he left
Player-3 -#2
Ayaz - he left
Noodlehead - #3
Wogrim - not very active, but #4, as he's still here from time to time
talkingbeatles - #5
Hiza - he left
Skip2maloo - he left
Red-Blue - #6
Rebaz - inactive.

And me (#7) posters who know what they are writing/reading.

That just doesnt cut it.
We need more representation.

And more posters who know what they are writing/reading.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Knee, we worked hard to get the metagame where it is. But we don't have too many falcon mains and probably no one could actually consistently place well with falcon. He's just a terrible character. But to improve the chances of someone actually placing well I posted this.

The metagame could be better. But not with ats.

I know this was posted before. I said that.

Its just a reminder to anyone who reads this to actually think a bit differently. That might just help a bit more.

I took three things that could actually help, and I reinvented their threads in to one large idea. The credit does not go to me; it goes to the others. I'm just here to give the right people their dose of common sense.

Sorry if it was disrespectful but you have to admit it, its true. Its a wake up call that probably won't even work.

And you forgot P-3.

Player-3

Smash Hero
no he didnt lololol its just hard to see for some reason

i dropped falcon pretty much but i still play him for that wtf surprise

Zeallyx

Knee, we worked hard to get the metagame where it is. But we don't have too many falcon mains and probably no one could actually consistently place well with falcon. He's just a terrible character. But to improve the chances of someone actually placing well I posted this.

The metagame could be better. But not with ats.

I know this was posted before. I said that.

Its just a reminder to anyone who reads this to actually think a bit differently. That might just help a bit more.

I took three things that could actually help, and I reinvented their threads in to one large idea. The credit does not go to me; it goes to the others. I'm just here to give the right people their dose of common sense.

Sorry if it was disrespectful but you have to admit it, its true. Its a wake up call that probably won't even work.

And you forgot P-3.
For the ones who know what they are writing/reading (and I didnt forget P-3, please check again, and I didnt edit my post, you can check that too, if you want to) this is something we already know, as we are, infact, third from the bottom of the tier list, with a backroom with no knowledge about link at all, or else falcon would be second worst. (but thats another story).

But we know our accomplishments aren't 'enough' to compete with top/high tier chars, but that is common knowledge. As falcon doesnt have the potential that can achieve that in the first place.

What we can do, is up our game to get (slightly) better matchups, making us suck less worse. And this is something everyone strives for, and the people who dont strive for this are the people who dont 'get' the wakeup call as they simply lack the knowledge about the topic in question.

New strats and ways to maximize falcon's moves uses is what a true warrior falcon main strives for.

And this is something we all aim for. That is one of the major reasons this particular forum exists.

Its like going into a english class and telling everyone to study their grammar, as its important (lolteachers).
The dropouts will think **** this.
While the real students think offcourse I do.:)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I found the bulk of the OP useful. The Dthrow to Uair is iffy for me, since a lot of people tend to mash some type of standard attack to retaliate.

I'm all for helping change the metagame of Falcon. I'm just not privilaged enough to even figure where I stand in offline tournaments, so my abilities don't show a lot, except through online play.

Things like Falcons Uair(The end of it, that semi-spikes) are great to use on opponents with bad recovery, and could be used to further the metagame with interesting (pseudo)combos. Falcon's versatility is limited, but there's nothing stopping us from doing with what we got.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
I found the bulk of the OP useful. The Dthrow to Uair is iffy for me, since a lot of people tend to mash some type of standard attack to retaliate.

I'm all for helping change the metagame of Falcon. I'm just not privilaged enough to even figure where I stand in offline tournaments, so my abilities don't show a lot, except through online play.

Things like Falcons Uair(The end of it, that semi-spikes) are great to use on opponents with bad recovery, and could be used to further the metagame with interesting (pseudo)combos. Falcon's versatility is limited, but there's nothing stopping us from doing with what we got.
Yo dawg if they spam the attacks out of dair you're doing it right. Wait it out and KNEE

Its too good, I've conditioned a few of my opponents to nair when they get raptor boosted, and then I just falcon dive them ftw XD

I always keep your original topic in mind when I play falcon, TKONTK. Running away is pretty effin awesome after all. You just need to be sneaky with it :D

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
I usually like to play my Falcon like my friend plays his sonic and that's being a hit and run *****. Using Falcon's speed helps alot and can make your opponent get frustrated which leads to mistakes and openings. Also, TKONTK Falcon and Link had lose to the same points in the tier list and we moved ahead of him by .06 of a point so really I consider pretty much just good luck we moved ahead of him. Also as a Falcon main and smash player one of the tricks I like to use is to play defensive for 1 minute and learn your opponents techniques and how he plays his character. I find holes in his style and like to punish him heavily for it, when he notices what he's doing repeat the defensive style and punish again.

Mit

Smash Ace
Pretty obvious information now :\ This should be every Falcon's attitude while you play, really. It's mostly just spacing. Keep a safe distance from your opponent, and wait for them to mess up. Bait them with something safe, then punish if they took the bait. If you take an offensive, chances are Falcon's low priority is just going to screw you over, especially if your opponent has projectiles or disjointed hitboxes of any kind (lol snake ftilt > falcon's entire moveset).

I'm more interested in learning sensible baiting maneuvers, and the best ways to punish certain situations. What we really need are more videos of good Falcons playing in very competitive matches. The recent Lionman matches were some of the best I've seen. I never thought I'd see a Falcon keep up so well with a Falco, even if that Falco wasn't the greatest out there.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I find this disrespectful towards people who developed falcon's Metagame to where it is today.

And this was posted already. By me. And by others before me, which, I got flamed for before.

I am with you Darx, but when the newest falcon backroom died out, it was clear to me these kinds of threads (read: actual useful threads), and/or ways to change this board aren't going to help this community/actually change the board.

This community has:
Darx - #1
Face124 - he left
Player-3 -#2
Ayaz - he left
Noodlehead - #3
talkingbeatles - #5
Hiza - he left
Skip2maloo - he left
Red-Blue - #6
Rebaz - inactive.

That just doesnt cut it.

I hear that Iwan kid who writes for AiB doesn't know what he's reading/writing.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
And I am not mentioned again.
I main CF, because only player I ever play is my brother and I can predict every single thing he do. 4 sweet knees per stock.
Anyway, This of course very well wroks against chars with no projectile. But how well does it work against characters with projectile? Like samus or falco? :)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I main CF, because only player I ever play is my brother and I can predict every single thing he do. 4 sweet knees per stock.
Anyway, This of course very well wroks against chars with no projectile. But how well does it work against characters with projectile? Like samus or falco? :)
Dude, who the heck are you?

and falco can present a problem. You'll wan to prolly go higher in the air a bit more instead of localizing on a territory below. His lasers can meet you and lock you down fast, and close range combat will get you CG'd and spiked. And if you are above 50% then you'll prolly want to be on the defensive.

He really be a pain. I would say full hopping out, and then re entering with SHAD would be your best option. Staying out of his grab range n-air and n-air combos seem good. Sh FF u-air is too close to his grab range and so is nipple b-air. RaR'd b-air might just be out of his grab range but that trick won't work on the same falco twice.

Jab > Grab is typically used in falco's arsenal. And f-tilt is often used.

When approaching falco he tends to get to you faster than you can get to him. That can also be a big issue.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Against Falco, it's a hit and run situation.

Rack up damage in a spacing/camping fashion.

Up close I'd say it's 50-50. Both have great CQC :l

you'd most likely want to centralize on falcons Air game. Falco outranges him hard.

When lasers come into play, just air camp. Alot of people don't realise how good falcon actually is at air camping.
If you're in the lead during this type of situation, don't approach lol (even though thats common knowledge). Just wait till he runs out of gas and stops those lasers.
Eh, you'll most likely end up being hit by alot of them if not dodged properly, but what can I say, it's falco. lol
However, if you're NOT in the lead in this type of situation, Just get closer inch by inch, or wait for openings while air camping. Best moves to use doing so? I'd say u-air...and b-air.

Overall I'd say this matchup is 35-65 Falco's favor.

(Don't get grabbed)
lul

EDIT: I should copy and paste this to an actual matchup thread if it helps.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Dude, who the heck are you?
:chuckle:
and falco can present a problem. You'll wan to prolly go higher in the air a bit more instead of localizing on a territory below. His lasers can meet you and lock you down fast, and close range combat will get you CG'd and spiked. And if you are above 50% then you'll prolly want to be on the defensive.

He really be a pain. I would say full hopping out, and then re entering with SHAD would be your best option. Staying out of his grab range n-air and n-air combos seem good. Sh FF u-air is too close to his grab range and so is nipple b-air. RaR'd b-air might just be out of his grab range but that trick won't work on the same falco twice.

Jab > Grab is typically used in falco's arsenal. And f-tilt is often used.

When approaching falco he tends to get to you faster than you can get to him. That can also be a big issue.
If shFF Uair is too close, what about retreating Uair? Is he tall enough to get hit?
And how well does it work against chars with not so great projectile, like Snake or Samus? :)

Zeallyx

Offcourse you aren't mentioned.
Look at what you post.

I can beat my bro so I am pro..*facepalm* :/
omgzz four sweet knee's per stock omgzz.

You DO know falcons Fair is ALMOST NEVER used in competitive play. And when it is used, its often the gimp knee, or after a setup with a 100% succes rate (Dair, Nair-->footstool, Fhanfus loop, Bair/Uair lock-->forced standup)

Otherwise, falcons Fair is too risky, as it is very punishable.
So those four knee's actually make you quite a bad falcon main. Just those words though, as on this forum, you make it seem like you suck. We should brawl someday thuugh.

And your bro prolly sucks (,too).

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
running away is a very viable option, however only when you have the percent/stock lead.

Also on stages with hazards or odd positions, it's better to wait until you feel comfortable approaching. Waiting a few seconds is better than a bad approach. And stalling isn't too hard but I see many people sucking at it, often simply crouching behind a slant is the better option than simple standing or rolling.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Knee: You are not cool by not understanding jokes.
I challange you. PM When. Today.
Falcon only. Starter stages only.
4640-1837-4555 is my FC.
I am from central Europe. My connection should be good. In case of bad connection, Battlefield only (least lag stage).

Zeallyx

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245659
:p
I am not insulted. maybe
But I want to play with him when he insults me lol. :bee:
EDIT: I am going away now, and I will be back probably latest 16:00 GMT. But then I will be avaliable.
^wut@bolded.

And ok I'll brawl against you.
I can brawl against you either:
3 hours from when I post this post.
or:
5 hours from when I post this post.

Take your pick.
I'll PM you 3 hours from when I post this post. (so you know exactly when I'm able to play).

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Fine. 3 hours after you posted this.
How does running away works against characters with good defensive game but without projectile, like bowser? :) Is it worth it? Sorry to be just asking questions, but as you all know, I lack praxe.. :/
@bolded lolmindgamez

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
:chuckle:

If shFF Uair is too close, what about retreating Uair? Is he tall enough to get hit?
And how well does it work against chars with not so great projectile, like Snake or Samus? :)
You want horizontal range with this. Besides U-air would launch falco off of the ground. Getting remotely under him is a bad idea. Although your best bet for that would be another U-air.

Snake sets up the ground pretty well. And he has some decent air options. His defensive maneuvers alone can end up putting you behind. Falcon has a decent slide when you run into shield. I would say when you want to re enter that would be an okay option.

Samus would be about breaking through all three layers of her game. The projectiles can actually be avoided pretty easily. Z-air is the tough part. It can eat your shield and make you eat a missile or two. I would FK in between two Z-airs to get into her close combat range. And that is when you might choose any option that fairs well against the average character.

running away is a very viable option, however only when you have the percent/stock lead.

Also on stages with hazards or odd positions, it's better to wait until you feel comfortable approaching. Waiting a few seconds is better than a bad approach. And stalling isn't too hard but I see many people sucking at it, often simply crouching behind a slant is the better option than simple standing or rolling.
Finally. The one thing in the world we agree on.

4640-1837-4555 is my FC.
I am from central Europe. My connection should be good. In case of bad connection, Battlefield only (least lag stage).
LLOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlll

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
^^^

Finally? Is that directed to me? The only thing I disagreed with you and knee are the ridiculous combo's you thought were viable in tournament.
The Lol wasn't. But yeah.

The only combos I've come to love are the N-air combos. That's it. Fhanfus loop is another story.

So, you're back?

Hiza

Smash Apprentice

This community has:
Darx - #1
Face124 - he left
Player-3 -#2
Ayaz - he left
Noodlehead - #3
talkingbeatles - #5
Hiza - he left
Skip2maloo - he left
Red-Blue - #6
Rebaz - inactive.

That just doesnt cut it.

I remember when it was just Knee and a few others (including myself) fighting in the trenches for falcon character progression. I used to post productively, and attempt contribution on a pretty freguent basis. Most of what i contributed was disregarded or discredited before any kind of reason for doing so was given. Call me bitter, but it normally just isnt worth it. Also I cant stand people johning after you beat them with falcon. Thats one of the main reasons i got out of the competitive brawl scene. You get far in a tournament using only falcon, and then some other clown just used him one or two times and then uses high tier to get a decent placing but he gets a higher (and i might add false) poweranking under the guise of a falcon main. whatever. I let you do the talking around here Knee, we tend to be on the same page normally anyhow.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You should add me as an occasional drop-byer.

I just don't use Falcon in tourney. But I give him some hard rep in friendlies. (Same with Ganon)

Winning 53 matches in a row with Ganon, and 29 with Falcon? While losing with my old main (Snake... yep... you read this all correctly..) brought up my friends' views of the two characters. I honestly don't feel either character are the worst in the game, and with good reasons.

tl;dr
Link is the worst character in the game.

Zeallyx

I remember when it was just Knee and a few others (including myself) fighting in the trenches for falcon character progression. I used to post productively, and attempt contribution on a pretty freguent basis. Most of what i contributed was disregarded or discredited before any kind of reason for doing so was given. Call me bitter, but it normally just isnt worth it. Also I cant stand people johning after you beat them with falcon. Thats one of the main reasons i got out of the competitive brawl scene. You get far in a tournament using only falcon, and then some other clown just used him one or two times and then uses high tier to get a decent placing but he gets a higher (and i might add false) poweranking under the guise of a falcon main. whatever. I let you do the talking around here Knee, we tend to be on the same page normally anyhow.
I agree. One hundred percent.
And yes, we are normally on the same page, but I do not agree you letting me talk for you. You are the person I look up to most around the falcon board. Your username alone nets you that title for me, and then I havent even mentioned you are amongst the most knowledgeable falcon mainers that is a member of this message board, and the person with the most admirable way of getting his message and/or opinion across.

If you start regularly posting again, this place will get to the point of recognition way faster than without you.

I am working on a project revolving around brawl falcon. I am not publicizing it yet, but Hiza, I'll send you some data I have been gathering for this project in a private message approximately 15 mins after I clicked the submit reply button.

Hiza, we have the same nickname around here. Help me to keep this nickname one who's looked up to.

And I sincerely apologize for not mentioning you when I summarized the respected/regular posters around here. As you are definitly one of the respected ones.

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
If you start regularly posting again, this place will get to the point of recognition way faster than without you.
I wll stop lurking so much and start posting more often.

in honor of this, i made a gif for you falconboards.

an epic image to commeorate this time of unparalleled prosperity.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
4640-1837-4555 is my FC.
You're too cocky, son.

Zeallyx

You're too cocky, son.
He underweant concentrated knee after that post.
He won't do it again.

But he did change his attitude after our wifi matches (lolwifi), he's actually quite a nice dude.

And@Hiza:

Alright.:) I'm glad to hear that.

And that picture is awesome. X D.

Edit: after all this time on this forum, I still occasionally incidentally double post..

Swf - 2
Knee - 0

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post but this thread just got updated by moi. The discusion in Knee's "Raptor ****" thread encouraged me to apply Raptor boost into the "Breaking Personal Bubble" thing, and encouraged me to clarify how to use Falcon Kyick effectively.

So, Credit goes to Knee on this one

Top Bottom