• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something that has nothing to do with Brawl

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So we've come to the consensus that every sonic game after SA2 was complete and utter garbage, some ppl think the crap started at Sonic CD, but to each his own.

Im sorry if im not supposed to post this here but i wanted everybody's opinion.

Do you guys think that Sonic could possibly be back on his way to the top?
There is a Sonic RPG planned for release, and theres also Sonic Unleashed, which, to be honest, both look REALLY good. I think the dark cloud that was holding its head over the Sonic The Hedgehog series could finally pass soon.

So what do you guys say? Is there any hope left for the blue blur to be in a game of his own that is legitimately good? Or are we doomed forever to have all our hopes and dreams repeatedly dashed by having to play giants mounds like Sonic 360 for the rest of our days?

Browny

Smash Hater
The sonic RPG is made by some good developers (the guys that made mass effect of something? idk), so anything thats not made by sonic team is a good start LOL

although i fail to see how sonic would work in an rpg game (its for Ds right?)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure that:

its made by Bioware, the same ppl that made Mass Effect and Star Wars: KOTOR. (BTW both are EPIC titles)

Its an computer game and that its an MMO (its hard for me to comprehend this too.)

also it makes me sad that i have to agree with you about Sonic Team =(

Tenki

Smash Hero
maybe so, but his Genesis games were pretty fun :x

Each game introduced more things, like Sonic 2 introduced Spin Dash (aka Spin Charge), Sonic 3 introduced new shields, and Flash Shield (pretty much Sonic's N-air, except with invincibility frames at the beginning), and co-op, and trigger transforming to Super Sonic. And running on water (-_- too bad he can't in Brawl). With Sonic and Knuckles, different levels (kind of) with different characters, and more levels of Super Sonic (lol Hyper Sonic).

But you know what I think made it fun? It was being able to use Super Sonic through the levels. It made you want to get the emeralds so you can be like "Hah, I HAVE 50 RINGS...! NOW I'LL SHOW YOU!" -transform-

...Not some random crap to get the final boss fight -_-'

I started to doubt after Sonic 3D blast.

I liked SA1 and SA2 though. Sonic Heroes strayed from the style a bit, but actually, I didn't mind :x

Super Sonic is too powerful for 3d platformers, apparently :[

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I thought his games started to suck after Sonic Heroes.Hopefully Bioware does't screw up the RPG.It looks good.I'm hinging my hopes on Sonic Unleashed.The gameplay has a really good idea except maybe the story.Except we won't see anything from Unleashed until E3.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ PK boy: stop trolling scrub.

@ the point:

I throughly enjoyed SA1 and 2 as well but i pretty much hated every game after that. And i totally agree with you on the 3d thing, which is great since Sonic Unleashed seems to be a return to 2d platforming at breakneck speed, which is what we all wanted to begin with.

i suppose if you needed me too, i could dig up the trailer vid, its pretty sick, it gave me back that feeling i used to have where i was only controlling what was going on by a sliver. good stuff

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yes that may very well turn out to suck, but it also could turn out very well for the game

(think: The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, i just rewatched the clip and it still looks really good, with the perspective changes, it kind of seems like what would happen if they took that one paper mario game where you could go between 2d and 3d...
and gave it crack...lolawesome

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that liked DR. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? I know it had nothing to do with Sonic but that game was fun as hell.

I liked the old school Sonic games but I feel they had a much more difficult time stepping into the next generation consoles than Mario did. Granted, I think Mario 64 blew, but subsequent Mario games have been pretty inventive and fun. I could never understand why they couldn't do the same thing with Sonic.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Am I the only one that liked DR. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? I know it had nothing to do with Sonic but that game was fun as hell.

I liked the old school Sonic games but I feel they had a much more difficult time stepping into the next generation consoles than Mario did. Granted, I think Mario 64 blew, but subsequent Mario games have been pretty inventive and fun. I could never understand why they couldn't do the same thing with Sonic.
You aren't alone.

That,SF2, and S.O.R Were games that everyone feared me in.

The ten combo (DR:MBM)
the Max outs(SF2)
and the wake up grabbing(Streeta of Rage)

Anyway I personally will get Sonic unleashed and the DS title strictly for chao raising.

I am an avid chao raiser and loved doing so.

Lizam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lizzam
A lot of people thought Sonic Heroes was terrible
I found it quite fun. It still wasn't as good as the Sonic Adventures, but it was still a decent Sonic game. But Sonic's console releases went down hill from there... However, Sonic Unleashed looks promising and it's definitely going in the right direction (Sonic Rush, Sonic Advance series were great). I wouldn't mind if they added some competitive online races :chuckle: that would be a nice change for a Sonic game.

Lizam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lizzam
Secret rings was good, but i never found myself going back to it. Where as i did with Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Heroes (Only with certain characters like Sonic and Tails for SA1, Sonic and Shadow for SA2, and Team Sonic and Team Dark for Heroes)

Umby

Smash Master
All we need is an SA3 with more Sonic/Shadow levels, better English voice acting, a better reward for collecting all medals, and a nude Rouge scene.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
evil-powerful versions of heroes is such an over-used and cliche idea.... that alone kinda turns me off to sonic unleashed. But, i'm not saying i will 100% hate it, if they really can make a good story with good gameplay... then it realisticly, like any game.. could be really good.

i say- we will just have to wait and see.

I don't think sonic will ever truly die, he will always have media coming out... some will suck, and some wont... isn't this the case for almost every majorly popular video-game character?

I think sonic is kinda like megaman,. they are both constantly in new video games, and of course some, or even a lot of these games suck. But among all the games, will always be gems that make it all worth it.

You guys have to consider that there are a lot of people that are employed just to make new sonic games and media. Even if for some reason they went bankrupt, I'm sure sonic would get passed on to sum1 else. The fact is that there are a lot of people that love sonic the character, and just because of that: he will never die out completely.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@#16-18:
wtf lol

DR Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was awesome

..except for the fact that it was only a Sonic-themed "Puyo Puyo" (aka Puyo Pop!)

which is still an awesome game.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
@#16-18:
wtf lol

DR Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was awesome

..except for the fact that it was only a Sonic-themed "Puyo Puyo" (aka Puyo Pop!)

which is still an awesome game.
I still have that game! XD Amazingly my Genesis still works after all these years.

Secret rings had the Slowest running of all Sonic games. It only almost appeared fast because of the cam angle. The controls often sucked too. Even after beating the game I still have trouble useing the homing attack or walking backwards. -_-

Sonic heroes was okay. The storyline was good in some parts and not in others. But the gameplay was pretty smooth,usually. One of the worst things was the how the character models moved during an in game movie sequece. Sonic moved and acted his best in SA2. after that,he only looked somewhat natural in the non in game movies.

My biggest complaint aside from gameplay issues is Will SOMEBODY GET RID OF THE **** 4-KIDS CAST! :mad: And I mean all of them. Bring back the SA2/Sonic Heroes voice cast!

4-kids =FAIL Ryan Drummond is way cooler for Sonic and I liked Shaodow's voice in SA2 better as well. Knuckles, that low laid back voice he had in Sonic Heroes matched his personality perfectly IMO. And Amy and Tail's voice now.....that's like scraping chalk on a chalk board.:mad:

Amy was annoying but she wasn't infuriating like she is now. And any of the Previous voice actors for Tails would be better. Sa2 Eggman died I believe but his 4-kids voice isn't too bad.

If that "thing"is Sonic I'm going to be really po'd. Sonic will have become the laughing stock of the gaming community. that thing(what I saw of it)reminds me of the hungry monster kid in the Chef Boyardi commercial.XD

But aside from that it looks like it could be an amazing game. If the switch to 3-D and back was seemless and the levels less linear. Sonic may finally be revived.:)

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace

I agree aswell, but I noticed that they've been constantly trying to make Sonic games fast, and intense as a means of complimenting his character. While Mario's is a little more laid back, sure there are some intense parts but they do not appear often.... If anyone even gets what I'm trying to say.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
IMO SA1 when you went through it for the first time had some of the most intense Sonic awsomness of any era of games. That Windy Valley Stage and the Highway Stage(straight down a skyscraper!O_o) especially were exactly what Sonic is all about. Going crazy fast and having a blast doing it.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
IMO SA1 when you went through it for the first time had some of the most intense Sonic awsomness of any era of games. That Windy Valley Stage and the Highway Stage(straight down a skyscraper!O_o) especially were exactly what Sonic is all about. Going crazy fast and having a blast doing it.
I loved Snow boarding.
that made my day.

The pinball games as well I used to rack up all the coins needed from the nights game.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
OMG NIGHTS WAS THE SHIZNIT!

How is the new nights game selling?
or is it even out?

also raven i totaly understand what you are saying. i think those factors naturally made the 2D to 3D transition much harder for sonic to do well than for mario, but now could be a chance for them to remedy and rectify the years of disapointment that weve had to endure

xsonicx_13

Smash Cadet
sonic unleashed is the best looking sonic game and the sonic RPG is going to be very good. Also sonic 360 was ok but has alot of glitches and gems (which dont exist unlike chos emralds) that is where it messed up but the top 5 starting from the terrible to the bad sonic games

sonic shuffle
shadow the heghog
sonic 360
sonic r
sonic riders zero gravity

overall i love sonic games and i allways will
s

Ark098

Smash Cadet
the only thing i hated about SA1/2/heroes/shadow/etc. was the glitchyness. sonics speed doesnt suit 3d. storyline was awesum. i loved the 2D sonic games on the hand helds better. honestly if there was a wii game with the same playstyle as the SSE (2.5D i think its called?) that would be so perfect. rumors about unleashed's storyline is depressing but at least its going well with the sidescrolling parts.

also once having the emeralds, turning super mid level was so awesome. if that were the case replay value would go thru the roof for such a game.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Unleashed is going to have 2.5D in it. Apparently, it will switch between full-control 3-D sections and genesis-style side-scrolling camera views. So far, all the game magazines that have previewed it have been upbeat (The camera has been fixed, apparently.) and the graphics...Well, actions speak louder than words.

So far, there's next to no information about Werewolf Sonic. We know that he runs on all fours, sort of like a gorilla and his gameplay has a lot of enemies to destroy in it. He's also bee described as 'agile'. That, and his pimp hand is very, very strong.

That's the state of affairs on Sonic Unleashed thus far. If you want to know more, I suggest These surly mugs. Watch out though, the mods can be a bit touchy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think that sonic can function well in 3d, the only problem would be that the game would have to control a lot of the action for you, think the giant whale in the first level in SA1

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I always thought the series started to get "meh" around Heroes, although Heroes itself wasn't a bad game.

However, the voice cast aside from Knuckles is just god-awful.

Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Nex-Gen are the only games that I honestly believe to have been absolute suck.

Unless you count Game Gear, then theres a few more than just those 2.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Am I ony the only one who HATES Sonic Riders?
Yes.

Hell, they aren't as broken as Mario Kart DD or Wii.

Although neither have any real re-playability.

I for one enjoy Sonic Riders, as well as Zero Gravity. Both gave me a good experience.

Hell, they were better than the Sonic Drift series (which wasn't all bad), and Sonic R (I thought the game was ok. The music was okay, but it didn't fit the game, and characters were broken as hell).

---

@ post above mine:

No handheld Sonic after the Adventure series sucks, except Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats true, ive never owned a handheld so i havent had much esperience with them, but i do know that the advance and rush series's were vey good, they just werent big. which is what i think that theyre trying to change now

and i dont know why cause it seems like it would be a great idea, but i just cant stand any of the sonic racing games, they were just annoying to me, especially if he is on any kind of board. the dude runs at the speed of sound, you know going in that nobody can beat him in a race, and why the hell would he be on a board when he can run faster than any contraption that they could put him on,just pointless imho

Top Bottom