• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some tips I have for R.O.B. mainers...

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Why are you telling us tips?

o_O

Generally, a newb should lurk for a while to see what a forum does or does not know and then post information he might think is useful. This is stuff we've been doing from day one.

Sudai

Stuff here
*Waits for Sudai to crush his soul*

-Dthrow->Upair- When your opponent has low damage (below 30%) grab him, down throw, and then uair right him your opponent is on top of you after the dthrow to give a good amount of damage. (Warning: This may not work with certain characters like peach.)
This doesn't work against -any- character. All characters can airdodge out of it. It -is- a really nice set-up though, so not to many points off for this.

-Fair infinite- This only works good with a few characters like olimar, D.K, and Bowser but it's very tough to it on other characters. This really saved my butt when I was fighting an olimar with 0% and 1 stock while I had around 100% and 1 stock. First your opponent must have very low damage precent, Fair him, quickly hit down stick, Fair again, keep your eye on where he's moving when you hit him and follow his landing direction and keep hitting him. If you ran out of jumps quickly UPB and to it again and again so he can be locked on the air with a bunch of Fairs. Fair him out of the edge and watch him die. (I would use the C-stick if you have a Gamecube controller.)
This is called a Wall of Pain (WoP) and has been known about since day two. It's also been known to NOT WORK ANYMORE since at least the second month of the game. There's a little thing called DI and apparently the people you're playing against are...lol...doing it WRONG.

-Gyro play- My favorite thing about maining R.O.B., his glide tossing is one of the best in the game and since he comes with his very own gyro (DownB) you don't have to use items which would most likely be banned in tourneys. First charge your gyro using downB, then hit your opponent with it at the right time (if he shields it the gyro would disapear so try again).
You could also just shoot it out quickly without charging it so it can land next to you. Grab the gyro, Hold L, then quickly move your C stick and controll stick at the same time and same direction to throw your gyro and slide. If you want to slide faster then press L, move your C-stick, and controll stick at the same time quickly. There are many tricks that you can do with this and I'll list all the ones I know for you.
LOL. First off, GlideTossing, though useful, is old and widely known. Second off, you're explaining it wrong. If you try to roll and throw at the same time, it won't work. You actually throw it shortly after rolling.

-Slide torwards your opponent throwing the gyro at him and quickly Front smash him. (Make sure he has low damage so the gyros impact on him doesn't make him fly away, which would obviously be good :chuckle:)
lol first use of glidetoss evar

-If your opponent is next to you and you have a gyro on you then you're lucky. Instead of throwing the gyro at him, throw it on the ground and slide away, quickly hit C-stick down to do the amazing R.O.B. Down smash so your opponent can either get hit by the gyro, or by your D-smash. :laugh:
Who would be dumb enough to roll into your DSmash? Glidetoss away into a DSmash? Seriously, wtf?

-When your opponent is trying to recover near the edge, throw the gyro up, slide near the edge, and ariel him. If you miss, don't worry he still might get hit by the flying gyro.
No. Nononono. Never throw your own gyro up unless there's someone up there. Carry your gyro off stage with you, ZDrop it incase they recover low, aerial to cover the mid-ground. There's even better options than this too, but they'd probably be too hard for you to do..

-Throw your gyro at your opponent and slide backwards and quickys use Standard B (lasor) to hit your opponent with both the gyro and the lasors. (Thanks to Raikou3322 for this)
Pretty standard retreat...well known already.

This is all I can give to you for now, and remember; Use Ftilt every now and then, it has a long reach.
Wow man.

Seriously.

Have you read ANYTHING on the boards? At least read the stickies before posting. You wouldn't have even needed to search and you would have found out all this or better options than you listed. FFS! I thought not searching was bad, not even reading the effing stickies...

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
greatest post ever? O_O;; I did not know any of this

-Slide towards your opponent throwing the gyro at him and quickly Front smash him. (Make sure he has low damage so the gyros impact on him doesn't make him fly away, which would obviously be good :chuckle:)
oh and i've connected one to DDD at 170% into a forward smash. learn to judge your glidetoss distances

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
ipity dude what happened to u LMAO is ur little sister using ur account or something?

online rob dittos BEST MATCH H IN THIS GAME> too bad i use mk since the japanese release and 3 stocked u. i dont feel like maining rob too much he keeps failiing, crashing, freezing, blue screen of death!?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Heh. True....

Ok, OP: if you're actually still reading this rather than having left in a tizzy, here's what to do. Head to the threads "Overswarm bestows ROB knowledge" and "No Disassemble!: Overswarm's Instruction Manual for ROB" to find out the vast majority of accumulated knowledge. In the "Overswarm bestows ROB knowledge" thread there're a lot of junk posts, and it's a huge thread, but the amount of awesomeness there is worth it. The "No Disassemble!" thread would be more useful under a quick time frame. After that, be aware that there's probably a lot of stuff we've discussed elsewhere, so you still probably won't be quite up to speed. You'll need to stay here a while before you can actually start trying to lecture us.

We're only rude because, well, these types of things have been known/talked about for a while, and this is about the thousandth thread trying to tell us stuff that's been known. So go and catch yourself up on what WE know before attempting to teach us, mmmk?

Good luck and happy hunting.

Ruse

Fox
This is why I only lurk on the R.O.B. boards :p.

Didn't you parents teach you to do your homework (or at least beat you until you did)?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Though honestly, once you've read the two threads I stated on the last page, you pretty much have the right to speak on this forum. Before that.... not really, unless it's asking which threads to go to.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
awww frdagaa has attempted being nice xD

ofcourse noone will blame you if this guy turns out to be a troll :]

hmm wait a min....raffi.... i remember that name for AiB too xD though ive never played you.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Seriously dude, you do not offer tips to the R.O.B. boards. You offer an plan of action and the proffesionals here will discuss its usability.

And Sudai, nice soul crush technique. The quote-by-quote action really does a good job.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm trying to be nice to the n00bs. They just don't realize how foolish they sound. If they actually learn how to move forward, we might have a new recruit.

That being said, a good beatdown is beneficial for their moral character. Not to mention that watching Sudai at work is far too pleasurable to ever ask him to stop.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm trying to be nice to the n00bs. They just don't realize how foolish they sound. If they actually learn how to move forward, we might have a new recruit.

That being said, a good beatdown is beneficial for their moral character. Not to mention that watching Sudai at work is far too pleasurable to ever ask him to stop.
Amen frdagaa, amen.

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
Lol sudai thanks for "crushing my soul" I made this for the hell of it. So I guess there aren't a bunch noobs here after all. And I notice most of you guys from AiB as well.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Yeah this place has been big from the start. I mean, theres lots of noobs in Tactical brawl XP but not many in the character forums. Welcome to swf and ignore anyone trying to thrash you (I can't believe i'm being nice >.>)

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
AiB is good for meeting other gamers and that's about it, imo. I mean, T0mmy is their ROB god, isn't he?

Top Bottom