• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some people are just so low...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YeahIplayoshi

Smash Rookie
Now, I've played in many Smash tournaments, mostly in college. I only play the N64 version, but there was one incident where I remember being in a 2v2 match, where these guys felt the need to play completely unfair and manage to almost start a few fights with people. The tournament had a buy in so there was money on the line, making it somewhat understandable.

They're team was Ness and Pikachu, the only moves they did was grab. As you know, they have some of the best grabs in the game, both in range and damage wise and it was just **** near impossible to counter. The kids were wieners and didn't even look worth the time, though I heard they got pushed around by a big guy that was there after the tournament later that night. Ah, justice. :)

Anyone else got some stories?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Now, I've played in many Smash tournaments, mostly in college. I only play the N64 version, but there was one incident where I remember being in a 2v2 match, where these guys felt the need to play completely unfair and manage to almost start a few fights with people. The tournament had a buy in so there was money on the line, making it somewhat understandable.

They're team was Ness and Pikachu, the only moves they did was grab. As you know, they have some of the best grabs in the game, both in range and damage wise and it was just **** near impossible to counter. The kids were wieners and didn't even look worth the time, though I heard they got pushed around by a big guy that was there after the tournament later that night. Ah, justice. :)

Anyone else got some stories?
Isai should have came in and ***** both of them with link. :laugh:

day-day

Smash Ace
My brother claims that I'm a cheater when I play with pit, sonic, or snake. He claims that with Pit all I do is spam arrows. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Pit's gameplay revolve around his arrows? He should at least be happy I don't know how to do the arrow trick.
With sonic he complains that all I use is SC and SD. I hardly ever use them and I'd much ratther take his Link in the air where I tear him up with U-air or B-air.
Snake's game is nothing more but tilt's and explosives so tell me why he get's mad that all I do is use grenades and mines. He claims that I'm "cheap" by using a mortar slide then hitting him with a f-tilt.
Funny thing is that when he plays he claims he's the best thing to ever play but all he does is Usmash and Fsmash plus arrows. I try to help him out with his link and that link's at the bottom of the tier list but he refuses to listen. He doesn't take help from someone who uses cheap characters in his opinion. Oh yea, Link's the best character in the game according to him :ohwell: I'm done trying to help his ignorant tail. He's so full of himself for a 13 yr. old..:ohwell:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
only scrubs think the way someone else plays is low or cheap. there is no perfect strategy, everything has a counter, and people who create a fake sense of morals on how a game SHOULD be played to help them sleep at night are noobs

if you cant beat a particular tactic, then get better....read sirlin.net

YeahIplayoshi

Smash Rookie
My brother claims that I'm a cheater when I play with pit, sonic, or snake. He claims that with Pit all I do is spam arrows. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Pit's gameplay revolve around his arrows? He should at least be happy I don't know how to do the arrow trick.
With sonic he complains that all I use is SC and SD. I hardly ever use them and I'd much ratther take his Link in the air where I tear him up with U-air or B-air.
Snake's game is nothing more but tilt's and explosives so tell me why he get's mad that all I do is use grenades and mines. He claims that I'm "cheap" by using a mortar slide then hitting him with a f-tilt.
Funny thing is that when he plays he claims he's the best thing to ever play but all he does is Usmash and Fsmash plus arrows. I try to help him out with his link and that link's at the bottom of the tier list but he refuses to listen. He doesn't take help from someone who uses cheap characters in his opinion. Oh yea, Link's the best character in the game according to him :ohwell: I'm done trying to help his ignorant tail. He's so full of himself for a 13 yr. old..:ohwell:
Yeah, I have no problem with spamming a move like rangs, lasers, fireballs and what not. But in a tournament, I feel that there should be at least some baseline rules, as there usually are in most ones I've played in. But 2v2 constantly grabbing, and I really mean only grabbing with the two best grabbers was something a 10 year old who didnt get his way would do.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
Stop johning, scrub. Learn how to "play to win".

Oh, and by the way, there IS a counter to eveything. If you really know how to play Smash 64 in a competitive setting, you would've avoided and punished the grabs with a long range move, and proceed to 0-death them. After all, this IS smash 64 ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also...
Isai should have came in and ***** both of them with link. :laugh:
Agreed :laugh: Isai will always be Isai.

YeahIplayoshi

Smash Rookie
only scrubs think the way someone else plays is low or cheap. there is no perfect strategy, everything has a counter, and people who create a fake sense of morals on how a game SHOULD be played to help them sleep at night are noobs

if you cant beat a particular tactic, then get better....read sirlin.net
Haha, you're funny. Sorry, I play tournaments because I prefer to play with people who can keep up with me while playing the game to it's full extent. Not just rely on having to play like a 12 year old because I can't handle that level. It's like like kicking another dude in the no-no area during a fight. Sure you can do it, but everyone else will just think you're a wuss.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Alright so this one time I was playing a game I'm not very good at, and someone beat me by repeatedly doing a tactic I didn't know how to get around. When I got home, rather than look up counter strategies, I complained about it on the internet. Then I got mad at the people who pointed out that my attitude and abilities both sucked.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Alright so this one time I was playing a game I'm not very good at, and someone beat me by repeatedly doing a tactic I didn't know how to get around. When I got home, rather than look up counter strategies, I complained about it on the internet. Then I got mad at the people who pointed out that my attitude and abilities both sucked.
:laugh: IHSB is soooo f****** funny. :laugh:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
spaceballs wins the thread.

YeahIplayyoshi, you claim you want to play someone who can keep up with you, yet you can't beat a player using the same punishable attack over and over again.

I hate to break it to you, but you're not good if you can't beat that.

Give this a read.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

YeahIplayoshi

Smash Rookie
"It's like like kicking another dude in the no-no area during a fight. Sure you can do it, but everyone else will just think you're a wuss."

Yes, I did just quote myself.

YeahIplayoshi

Smash Rookie
Oh you're right. Most people here play melee or brawl anyways. Can't really ask people who don't only play the real Smash bros.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's so cute, the way you ignored the contradiction in your own argument, threw out a big ad hominem, and double posted all at once.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
God **** youre a cool guy Jack.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol, man, that quoted section by praxis is SO perfect for this thread i lol'd

seriosuly, anyone who THINKS they play smash competitively, should read sirlin, then get back to us

Banks

Smash Hero
rofl scrub thread

you are saying that ness and pikachu using grabs only is UNSTOPPABLE? lol.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
"It's like like kicking another dude in the no-no area during a fight. Sure you can do it, but everyone else will just think you're a wuss."

Yes, I did just quote myself.
No, any tournament player would laugh at you for leaving yourself open to get grabbed five times in a row.

It's REALLY hard to grab someone if they're playing right. Grabs are short ranged, come out at an average speed, are very punishable if missed, and are outprioritized by any other attack. Especially in Smash 64 where you can Z-cancel your aerials to make them unpunishable- why are you being grabbed???

Pi

Smash Hero
Everytime I think a move is cheap I juss remind myself that if it was that good, if there was no way around it, high level of play would consist solely of that move/strategy. After doing that, I promptly ask myself, or others, for ways around it. The main strategy in melee right now that I'm having trouble with is lasers. For now, since it's friendlies, I'm practicing power shielding, aside from that I know that I can shield them, and wavedash out of the shield, or up B out of the shield, I know that I have options, that's all I need to know.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Winner.

My main in Smash 64 is Pika and I second Ness, so I love using grabs. There's nothing wrong with what they did. I wouldn't play that way necessarily in a tournament becasue it just wouldn't be as fun (then again, there is money on line, so...) but it's fun to annoy my friends by purposely using nothing but grabs, and it's a nice kinda-challenge :p

and like CaptainEvilStomper said, it's not gonna be a very useful strategy on high levels of play.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This is the tournament john thread.

And I'm closing it as such.

Learn to play through gay strategies, shed your misinterpreted values of game "Honor" and actually improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom