• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some form of D3 rant

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So this thread is going to be more psychologically based than my previous threads. Its nothing awe-inspiring let me assure you, however I want to help people with their mindsets really. This thread isn't going to have any real organization with it so please bare with me. In short, we're just going to discuss getting yourself ready for the inevitable ****-storm that comes with the territory of playing King Dedede. Now don't get me wrong! I absolutely love playing this character. He takes some of my favorite traits (really high survivability, strong punishes, funny attacks, guaranteed damage, he's a penguin!!) and wraps them into one sexy package. However you need to know why such a good character is so heavily under-represented and what you're dealing with.

Back in the day where we weren't on the verge of extinction, D3 was a fairly common character in tournament. Not as common as say Snake or MK but there were pretty spread out. When the first tier list came out we were even top tier. However, as the metagame advanced and strengths and weaknesses were better assessed our limitations are a character became evident. :metaknight: had been a problem already but it wasn't too bad. However as more top level :metaknight:s emerged our character began taking a major hit in tournament performance. We had amazing players like CO18, Atomsk and Seibrik, Lain and others around but even they weren't able to get over the huge handicap MK placed on us. As time progressed, more and more bad matchups became evident. The legendary D3s were still around but they chose to main other characters. The ones who chose to stick it out like Junk, Beefy and others became more inactive over time due to other factors. Occasionally , you would see some Atomsk **** but video footage of good American D3s became a rarity.

Then along came an up and coming D3 from Maryland named Coney. He quickly ascended up the ladder of skill and began taking down very notable players. He inspired hope in a dying community and reignited the flames of fervor these boards had not seen in a long time. The name Coney became a name everyone knew after 2010. He even proved that we CAN compete with top level Metaknights when he almost defeated M2K. Hope quickly grew ..until Coney had to retire. With real life calling, he could not continue the legacy he had left. So the boards were left in a state of perpetual darkness. More and more established D3s began to leave and go elsewhere. And now the title of the next "King of Kings" is up for grabs. I would like to think I am a contender but I am not the only D3 that is still around. There are still quite a few of us remaining low key but placing well in silence.

Though we may be few, we are still a community that needs to keep fighting. We have a lot of bad MUs but these are nothing we can't get over if you really want it. That includes the all mighty bat. The truth is, playing as D3 means accepting all of his strengths and well as his weakness and bad matchups. There is simply no way to get around this. D3 was often seen as an easy character to pick up and maybe at lower levels that is true. However as know its actually not that easy. D3 is slow, his moves are slow and he's a giant, fat target that makes other characters' combo videos look sexy. This means there is a heavier emphasis on playing safe and making strong reads. And this is where a lot of people get frustrated. It feels like you have to be a better than your opponent in a lot of situations to crank out a win. And because of this workload a lot of people give up on him. But honestly if you think this is bad, how do you think low tier mains feel? We aren't in the same boat so don't despair. There is a reason why we're still high tier even now. Its just up to YOU to take these hard to use tools and bring them as high as you can. It takes a very patient person to main this character. You can't be hasty in game, and you can't be hasty in your practice or be unrealistic with your expectations here. But you can still do well with D3 in tournament. You also don't have to just use D3. Get a secondary. It definitely helps and lessens your stress against those difficult matchups. You all know where to find my secondary guide by now. No one said, you had to be exactly Coney.

But whether you do or don't use a secondary just be ready for this:

You WILL be counterpicked. It will happen when you don't expect it and it will happen when you do expect it. With so many bad MUs, its just going to happen. You will see many :metaknight:s in your path to glory. You may run into the occasional :popo: :pikachu2: or :falco:. Regardless you need to be ready. It may suck but your opponent isn't going to feel bad for CPing you because they want to win. It may seem like a gay tactic but that's Brawl, my friends. Focus on your bad MUs first and make sure you know how to abuse every aspect of your character. We have a large list of ATs available to us and no one is using them. Everything helps!

Lastly, I want to say this to some of you who may be questioning yourself or your character because of what others say:

**** that! Play for you!

If you really enjoy this character as much as I do, then play your heart out with him. Who cares what people say about D3? He's good in both singles and doubles. If people have their own misconceptions about how good he is, then why not show him. I picked up this character because I felt like no one really knew how good he is. And when I picked him up, I had almost everyone criticizing me for using when I had Snake as my main previously. I had people tell me that he sucked in doubles and he was worthless as a main in singles. 1 year later, here I am. I have a way to go but I grew as a player because I picked the right character for me. I **** in doubles now and no one has anything negative to say now. I have placed top 3 at least in the last 5 out 6 tournaments. I never made money in singles with Snake but I have several times with D3 now. I have beaten some good players and people say they are legitimately scared when they play me. Its a great feeling considering what everyone was saying one year ago. Now I'm "The Next Coney" as some people keep telling me. I'm still no where near as legit as he was but I will be one day :) If a scrub like me can accomplish these feats, I see no reason why all of you can't! The only one stopping you from becoming great is yourself. Its not your critics, its not even the horde of bats...its you. But only you can make the decision to put all the scrutiny and bs aside and play for you, play to win and play to have fun. If you put in a legitimate effort..the rest will come naturally.

So I hope you guys who are questioning yourselves put that aside and realize that you are here for a reason :) You CAN rep this character and you CAN be the next Coney or even better. :)

- TC

tyler123

Smash Apprentice
That was a good read. Until a few weeks back I thought D3 sucked, but then I versed a good D3 and I actually decided to secondary him. Now he's great to use against bad Olimar MUs. Also, just wondering why you didn't mention Olimar as a bad MU for D3 since I've never lost to a D3 as Olimar because it's such a hard MU for them since I have better throw range and a few other important factors.

ZTD | TECHnology

1. We have 3080 bad MUs..dont want to list them all lol

2. I was speaking in terms of counterpicking with pocket characters. Not that many people have pocket Olimars. Pocket MKs and Falcos are common though. No joke Oli is a bad MU for us and we all know it lol

CO18

Smash Hero
this is neat lol except why do people have the impression I stopped maining d3. Ive mained d3 forever and just used other chars periodically then decided to 2ndary wario, I just stop playing for long periods of times cuz of school, even at mlg dallas i went all d3 xcept vs sebrik(who him and lee martin I think are the only mks to beat me at a national) and was one win from pro bracket when i got timed out by mjg 3rd game lol.
Gonna try to find some time to practice though, wanna go to apex

ZTD | TECHnology

I think fox and olimar are way worse threats than ic's and falco.

And I'd like to think I'm pretty good with DDD. :]

:phone:
I will never agree that :fox: beats us worse than :popo: or :falco:

:olimar: is up there with :falco: but still.

@CO18: See, I keep hearing different things. Like I know you still play D3 but I heard you were maining Wario for a while. I want to see more footage of you though :bee:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So I'm not going to be fighting MKs with DDD, I refuse to do it, it's a very stupid match and I don't think no matter how good I get I'll be able to beat them consistently. That said, I seoncd G&W who is good on the general CPs of MK. I'm hoping to go to a tournament this month as well as next month to try and get my name out there as (hopefully) a decent D3.

Like I've said before, I've gone through like 5 mines for varying lengths of time, and still ended up back at Dedede, he's easily one of my favorite videogame villains and his playstyle is perfect for me.

Also, I've never asked, but I've been curious, what's the order after winning a match? Isn't it:

Ban -> Stage Choose -> Winner Switches (maybe) -> Loser Switches (maybe) -> Match is Played

Doc King

Smash Lord
I've actually been finding ATs for King Dedede that are listed on the AllisBrawl forums. I think King Dedede players should go a different character to go against mk as of now and go King Dedede a lot against Warios and Marths.

BTW TC, I have a couple of replays of me doing one of the ATs that I discovered in case if you want to put it here. And you guys can feel free to contribute and check out the AiB D3 boards if you want.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
This is a bit of a different rant, but Id like to make a rant myself I suppose. Whenever I go on these boards, its the same garbage. Its always about posts of oh, this is how this matchup goes, but I never see good videos or results to back up those remarks. I'd like to see more players step it up I guess is what I'm trying to say, but I never see it, just remarks of how a match up goes but then never really accomplishing much.

Another thing, I skimmed through the OP and to try to be the "next" anything is kind of dumb and pointless. You should try to be yourself and take steps to what u want to accomplish, not try to mimic a different person.

Just some thoughts. Everytime I go on these boards, (and I havent been on here really in like months), its the same exact thing over and over again. Like I seem to ask myself why I keep going on here every now and then expecting perhaps something new,a break out player or something, but nothing actually happens.

ZTD | TECHnology

I can agree with that...all of it actually. I personally really need to get some more videos up of myself. I just wish I didnt have to carry my giant laptop around. But I agree more recent videos is needed. I might start a new video thread or something along those lines. I've been getting lazy. Im been a little less active for partially the same reason..but its not going to help anything. I just need to do more and be about it ;)

ZTD | TECHnology

It died because Tmacc left the boards/D3 and stopped updating it. Though I guess now that I have mod powers here....

I honestly dont care if we make a new one or revamp the one linked above. Its up to you guys.

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
Just when I was about to quit DDD (and playing brawl) forever, you write this.
I should go out to more tournaments. It's been a while.

Top Bottom