• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Coming in to wish y'all tomorrow.

Though not exactly a supporter myself, I'd be welcoming of Sol as I can imagine he'd be a fun character to play.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah Strive's been great fun so far, I'm on like level 50 rank 5 though I don't think I'm good enough to warrant it, Mission mode frustrates me whenever it wants me to do combos but I still have fun if I lose. I've only played Sol so far though I'm thinking of waiting for good Dustloop pages so I can learn what the hell all these characters do and if I should pick some others up, I know I want to try May soon too

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

One Youtuber that I've subscribed to, FeliciaFan, put out a moveset for Sol Badguy. His movesets are quite detailed, so it could help to show how Sol could work in Smash to people who aren't familiar with Guilty Gear.
apologizes for the double post, but I thought I'd bring this video back with the recent announcement, now GG would be the last "influential" fighting franchise left unrepped mentioned on this video (from Japan anyhow, I imagine Mortal Kombat would be 2nd or so if we counted it).
Now, my feelings on Sol happening haven't really changed, but I also don't think any such arguments as "we already have a fighting game rep this pass" mean anything either. So who knows.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Gatling: Jabs can cancel into tilts, smashes and specials; tilts can cancel into smashes and specials; smashes and aerials can cancel into specials.
I find this quite funny in retrospect, because not long ago I discovered that :lucario: in Project M has this exact mechanic, alongside a meter that he can spend on EX specials, two of which (his up and down specials) are basically Roman Cancels. Now he's my main in a game I hardly play and if you can play PM, I'd definitely recommend him to see how someone like Sol could potentially work in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sol is not on my short list- the 30 characters from Nintendo or a Third Party for which I would be most hyped- but he is in my second tier, of ones would enjoy seeing, whom I also fit into that, "deserve it," category.

Sol is among Morrigan in being my third most wanted fighting game characters (there are a lot of these... but Scorpion is way up there as the 'Big Three Fighter' that is missing, and then Nightmare right after).

Either way, add me to the support.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Strive's been great fun so far, I'm on like level 50 rank 5 though I don't think I'm good enough to warrant it, Mission mode frustrates me whenever it wants me to do combos but I still have fun if I lose. I've only played Sol so far though I'm thinking of waiting for good Dustloop pages so I can learn what the hell all these characters do and if I should pick some others up, I know I want to try May soon too
Loving Strive so far. I'm around 7th / 8th floor with most other SFVers. My first GG, went straight to Ky because jacket & sword is a boss combo. :)

Only one Mission Mode left and its stupid hard.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Speculation has definitely gotten me into supporting Sol Badguy. I do wish Ultimate had even more fighting game character crossovers- it somehow makes it even more epic to me.
I really wish we had Mortal Kombat represented, so I could feel more urgency towards Nightmare, Sol, Morrigan, Sukapon... mostly just those four, since Akira somehow seems to be out of the running (to many, not exactly to me).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Speculation has definitely gotten me into supporting Sol Badguy. I do wish Ultimate had even more fighting game character crossovers- it somehow makes it even more epic to me.
I really wish we had Mortal Kombat represented, so I could feel more urgency towards Nightmare, Sol, Morrigan, Sukapon... mostly just those four, since Akira somehow seems to be out of the running (to many, not exactly to me).
Yeah. More FGC characters seems like a win to me.
Unfortunately I doubt the last character is going to be a fighting game character. For some reason I can't see them putting 2 consecutive FGC characters, specially as DLC.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
For some reason I can't see them putting 2 consecutive FGC characters, specially as DLC.
Not exactly equivalent, but we have had multiple JRPG characters revealed consecutively - namely :ultrobin::ultrobinf: then :ultshulk:, :ultcloud: then :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:, :ultjoker: then :ulthero:, and :ultsephiroth: then :ultpyra::ultmythra:. On the platformer side, :ultridley:, :ultsimon::ultrichter: and :ultkrool: were all revealed consecutively. I doubt genre has much to do with reveal order, thus two fighting game characters in a row could be possible, especially if they differ as much as :ultkazuya: and Sol.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Not exactly equivalent, but we have had multiple JRPG characters revealed consecutively - namely :ultrobin::ultrobinf: then :ultshulk:, :ultcloud: then :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:, :ultjoker: then :ulthero:, and :ultsephiroth: then :ultpyra::ultmythra:. On the platformer side, :ultridley:, :ultsimon::ultrichter: and :ultkrool: were all revealed consecutively. I doubt genre has much to do with reveal order, thus two fighting game characters in a row could be possible, especially if they differ as much as :ultkazuya: and Sol.
I know, that's why I was talking about FGC characters.
Considering we only have 4 of these characters (5 if you wanna include Min Min, which I personally wouldn't count) in a roster of 80 characters, the chances for getting 2 consecutive fighting game reps is minimal.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I doubt they care much about genre under or over representation myself, I feel the roster would be quite different if that was a concern, but I wouldn't count on Sol being our closing character either. Like, I don't think the problem is that he's another fighting game rep as much as the general competition is rough for our badguy chances being remotely hopeful with only one known slot left. But that's just how I see things.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah. More FGC characters seems like a win to me.
Unfortunately I doubt the last character is going to be a fighting game character. For some reason I can't see them putting 2 consecutive FGC characters, specially as DLC.
It is funny- we do constantly get back to back characters of the same genre. (Metroidvania is not the same as platformer for me), but we constantly get back to back RPG characters. It isn't something I would expect with a fighting genre, either.

I know, that's why I was talking about FGC characters.
Considering we only have 4 of these characters (5 if you wanna include Min Min, which I personally wouldn't count) in a roster of 80 characters, the chances for getting 2 consecutive fighting game reps is minimal.
I count 4 as well- but one of these is absolutely Min Min, as ARMS is 100% a fighting game. I don't count echo Ken.

If this is really the end- I would be pretty happy with a Scorpion reveal.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
You've probably already heard, but just putting it here for good measure.

Our first DLC character is going to get revealed on the 20th/21st (depending on where you live)! Don't forget, as it was already stated by Daisuke, this character will be one that has never been playable before. Personally hoping for Asuka.

Also 500k units, yay

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Our first DLC character is going to get revealed on the 20th/21st (depending on where you live)! Don't forget, as it was already stated by Daisuke, this character will be one that has never been playable before. Personally hoping for Asuka.

Also 500k units, yay
Sol and Ky Gaming.

Anyways, I'm just hoping the DLC character is the main man himself: Goldlewis Dickinson.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Also 500k units, yay
Well, thanks to datamining, we know we only have five options...

By the way, haven't had a chance to watch this, but I figured I'd share it:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Cool to see the game sold well. Basically biggest ArcSys success, not counting DB FighterZ of course because they don't own Dragon Ball.

I haven't bought the game yet but I will. Maybe I'll buy it for PC instead of PS4.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm trying to get into Guilty Gear Xrd (the Rev 2 version) to prepare for Guilty Gear Strive, but while the recap at the start of the game helps a little bit (I know the following:

-humanity discovers magic, which leads to the creation of Gears
-Justice takes over every Gear but Sol; Sol helps the Holy Order defeat Justice
-a new threat that seems tied to Justice, called Valentine, shows up, forcing Sol and Ky to team up to beat it (her?)

Beyond that is where it gets confusing - it seems like I'd have to play both Guilty Gear Xrd Sign and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator to follow what's going on, but it seems like an organization is trying to revive Justice using Ramlethal Valentine and Elphelt Valentine. Elphelt gets possessed and captured, so Sol's trying to save her.

I also played Sol's arcade mode, so I know that Jack O' Valentine also has ties to Ramlethal, Elphelt, Justice, That Man (who seems to be a mysterious mastermind), and someone called Aria.

However, I know almost nothing about the other playable characters, aside from knowing that Ky used to work with Sol in the Holy Order before Sol left), it's very fragmented/jumbled, and it feels like trying to watch Captain America: Civil War without having seen any of the other Marvel movies. (though I feel like Guilty Gear Strive's story mode would be like trying to watch Avengers Endgame without having seen any of the other Marvel movies, if I had jumped straight to that)

Are there any recaps out there for the series? I know that there's an in-game glossary, but there's a ton of ground to cover, and I'm not sure how detailed the glossary is.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm trying to get into Guilty Gear Xrd (the Rev 2 version) to prepare for Guilty Gear Strive, but while the recap at the start of the game helps a little bit (I know the following:

-a new threat that seems tied to Justice, called Valentine, shows up, forcing Sol and Ky to team up to beat it (her?)

Beyond that is where it gets confusing - it seems like I'd have to play both Guilty Gear Xrd Sign and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator to follow what's going on, but it seems like an organization is trying to revive Justice using Ramlethal Valentine and Elphelt Valentine. Elphelt gets possessed and captured, so Sol's trying to save her.

I also played Sol's arcade mode, so I know that Jack O' Valentine also has ties to Ramlethal, Elphelt, Justice, That Man (who seems to be a mysterious mastermind), and someone called Aria.

However, I know almost nothing about the other playable characters, aside from knowing that Ky used to work with Sol in the Holy Order before Sol left), it's very fragmented/jumbled, and it feels like trying to watch Captain America: Civil War without having seen any of the other Marvel movies. (though I feel like Guilty Gear Strive's story mode would be like trying to watch Avengers Endgame without having seen any of the other Marvel movies, if I had jumped straight to that)

Are there any recaps out there for the series? I know that there's an in-game glossary, but there's a ton of ground to cover, and I'm not sure how detailed the glossary is.
My advice is to watch the fanmade series Heaven Or Hell by I believe WoolieVS, he explains all that is needed to know the lore of

SNEKeater

Smash Master

That's usually what happens with fighting games and their stories, unfortunately.

Guilty Gear story is also branched into mangas or novels that have never been released in the West if I remember correctly. So that doesn't help. And then the series has a few important games lore-wise but they're spin-offs (not fighting games), which is the case of Overture for example.

ArcSys has a brief recap of the story in their website in form or mangas but it's quite simple and goes straight to the main plot.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's usually what happens with fighting games and their stories, unfortunately.

Guilty Gear story is also branched into mangas or novels that have never been released in the West if I remember correctly. So that doesn't help. And then the series has a few important games lore-wise but they're spin-offs (not fighting games), which is the case of Overture for example.

ArcSys has a brief recap of the story in their website in form or mangas but it's quite simple and goes straight to the main plot.
Apparently, it got so convoluted, Strive had to retcon a bunch of it...

toonito

Smash Ace
i've said it before but now that Kazuya actually made it in Smash Sol most likely missing the cut hurts even more :(

We could've had Sol vs Ryu vs Terry vs Kazuya. whyyyyy

Ken's my favorite SF character and a no brainer choice for an echo but if I could trade him for Sol I'd do it in a heartbeat

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
new stuff has been found with Goldlewis release, read at your own risk https://old.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/osjmmj/potential_new_season_1_datamine/
I was kinda looking forward to the idea of Asuka being playable, so him likely coming in another season is a bit of a bummer. But if true I'll take Baiken over Jam anyday, Slayer is ok in my book as well. Crossing fingers Johnny and Sin eventually join Strive roster, Zappa too but I feel he's gonna miss the cut again unfortunately.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
new stuff has been found with Goldlewis release, read at your own risk https://old.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/osjmmj/potential_new_season_1_datamine/
I was kinda looking forward to the idea of Asuka being playable, so him likely coming in another season is a bit of a bummer. But I'll take Baiken over Jam anyday, Slayer is ok in my book as well. Crossing fingers Johnny and Sin eventually join Strive roster, Zappa too but I feel he's gonna miss the cut again unfortunately.
So... Will Baiken be DLC for both Strive and Samurai Showdown around the same time? That's one form of cross-promotion for sure...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I was kinda looking forward to the idea of Asuka being playable, so him likely coming in another season is a bit of a bummer. But I'll take Baiken over Jam anyday, Slayer is ok in my book as well. Crossing fingers Johnny and Sin eventually join Strive roster, Zappa too but I feel he's gonna miss the cut again unfortunately.
So if I'm getting this right, Jack o' and Happy Chaos are for sure coming, but we were wrong about the rest? Well, at least Baikan fans won't have to wait...

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So if I'm getting this right, Jack o' and Happy Chaos are for sure coming, but we were wrong about the rest? Well, at least Baikan fans won't have to wait...
I should probably rewrite my original post as, like the first datamine, this isn't 100% guaranteed, but at the very least it looks like Baiken and Slayer have some work done for a season pass (which apparently isn't the case for the likes of Venom or Testament), whether it's this one or another we'll see.
Apparently despite her folder existence Jam assets have been present since Strive's demo and haven't been updated since, with her model being mostly reused from Xrd unlike Jack-O. So she's definitely not as likely as we once thought compared to the rest of the datamined characters, which makes sense given all others had a somewhat big role in the story

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
thought this thread of tweets gives a good sumup of the datamine situation, there's a TL;DR at the end of it all if you don't want to through all the more technical aspect of data found
While Baiken and Slayer could very well not be part of season 1, I'm starting to have some severe doubts on the likelihood of Asuka and Jam being as likely as the first datamine might have implied.
And I suppose Happy Chaos and Jack-O are as confirmed as you can get before being actually revealed.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
The next DLC fighter has been leaked. Supposed screenshots from their reveal trailer are being posted online, which look way too legitimate to be fake:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It's Jack'O. She appears to have lost her Houses from Xrd.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The next DLC fighter has been leaked. Supposed screenshots from their reveal trailer are being posted online, which look way too legitimate to be fake:

Yeah, after seeing it, I doubt it's going to be fake. I guess there could be very talented modders out there, but IDK. Seems like quite the work.

In any case, feels likely because we already know Jack-O data was found in that previous datamine of Strive. But I would be happy with her, I always liked the character, though I never managed to fully managed her moveset in Xrd. Maybe in Strive, with a more streamlined version of her, I could enjoy her more.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hurray for best GG Waifu!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The second DLC character has been just revealed at EVO Online during the Top 8 qualifiers for North America. It's Jack-O.

She looks very good. And the trailer is a good one, definitely superior than the one they did for Goldlewis tbh.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm not sure why she swaps personalities given the events of Xrd, but the mask looking like mode swap or enhanced mode is not something I expected, kinda wanted the mask to be gone tbh so at least not being on her face at every moment of the match is fine enough with me. Do like the new animations where she throws and kicks minions.

Top Bottom