Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear XX (the full title's much longer, but I can't remember it) are on sale on the Switch's eShop, so I picked up Guilty Gear XX. I'll need to look up which characters are beginner-friendly (and also how to throw - enemies seem to have implausibly good defense, none of the button combinations that I tried seemed to work for a throw, and I'm not sure if there's a guard break mechanic in the game)

I thought Sol might be beginner-friendly, but then I fought against Potemkin in his story mode, and he took off roughly a third of my health with one throw. Maybe there's a difficulty setting that I missed somewhere in the options menu.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Master
Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear XX (the full title's much longer, but I can't remember it) are on sale on the Switch's eShop, so I picked up Guilty Gear XX. I'll need to look up which characters are beginner-friendly (and also how to throw - enemies seem to have implausibly good defense, none of the button combinations that I tried seemed to work for a throw, and I'm not sure if there's a guard break mechanic in the game)

I thought Sol might be beginner-friendly, but then I fought against Potemkin in his story mode, and he took off roughly a third of my health with one throw. Maybe there's a difficulty setting that I missed somewhere in the options menu.
XXACR+ is my favorite fighting game of all time. I personally found Slayer to be very easy to pick up - though he eventually became my main because I also found him fun to learn in general. There's a bit of a learning curve but decent tutorials in-game. Be sure to study the movelist as well. I hope you enjoy it!

SNEKeater

Smash Lord
Slayer will be on Strive that's for sure but I'd bet on him being DLC. Most of the popular names from that poll will be DLC I think, and not because that poll, pretty sure they overall knew who were the popular requests lol

I can see one popular request getting in base roster, but not everyone that's for sure. So between Baiken/Johnny/Slayer/Elphelt I believe one will be base roster, then the rest for DLC.

Hope you enjoy it!
I guess XX on Switch is the same version as Steam's, if that's the case then yes, you can change the difficulty. Saying this because I haven't touched the Switch port, but I assume it's the same version as PC.

I'd suggest playing with Ky, I think he's even more beginner friendly than Sol. At least it was like that for me when I picked GG Xrd. Xrd has a really cool tutorial, while XX didn't had one as far as I recall (I haven't touched the game in a while).

Try looking at this video if you want

A basic combo string that works for at least most characters is Y -> B -> X -> A, that also works in the air or while crouching. So doing that sequence + a special attack at the end, like Gunflame or Bandit Bringer in Sol's case, is a nice start.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Apprentice
I'm finally back from a nice short vacation, and it seems I missed a character announcement! Well damn.

Leo's design still has to grow on me, a bit sad his glorious long lion mane is gone. His fresh cut reminds me a bit of Ky's short hair, Leo kind of looks like he could be his older brother or even his father lmao. The new design is a fresh clean take on the character, glad the unga bunga White Lion is back.

Now, Nagoriyuki, WOW! I'm all for vampire characters, it's one of the reasons I love Slayer so much (besides him being the literal incarnation of dandyism), so I definitely already am looking forward to playing as him. His playstyle looks sick and reminds me of Slayer too. Continuing the trend of music references, Nagoriyuki seems to be a reference to a rather popular song over in Japan. It's a song about the arrival of Spring.

I'm still holding on for Slayer's inclusion, let's get two badass vampires in this game!

I hope you enjoy Accent Core, it's easily my favourite fighting game of all time. Guilty Gear is notorious for being a bit hard and really fast-paced, the emphasis are on long combo-strings, like most Anime Fighters are. I find Sol, Ky, Potemkin, Slayer and Axl to be one of the more beginner-friendly characters of the games. Just stray away from the more Technical characters like I-no, Eddie, Venom and Bridget for now. You throw by inputting either forward or back and the HS button at the same time. I really do hope you have a blast with the game, and if you're ever confused by the plot (which you definitely will be), the wiki is a nice friend!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
I hope you enjoy Accent Core, it's easily my favourite fighting game of all time. Guilty Gear is notorious for being a bit hard and really fast-paced, the emphasis are on long combo-strings, like most Anime Fighters are. I find Sol, Ky, Potemkin, Slayer and Axel to be one of the more beginner-friendly characters of the games. Just stray away from the more Technical characters like I-no, Eddie, Venom and Bridget for now. You throw by inputting either forward or back and the HS button at the same time. I really do hope you have a blast with the game, and if you're ever confused by the plot (which you definitely will be), the wiki is a nice friend!
Sounds good! So far, I've only played through a bit of Sol's story mode (I stopped because it was longer and more difficult than I expected, at least based on the skill level that I'm at now) and all of Kliff's story mode. (or at least enough to get the first ending)

So far, all I've gathered is that there is (or was) a war between humans and Gears (which are either robots or artificial humans - by my understanding, Justice, Sol, and Testament are all Gears), Sol used to work for the same organization as Ky before rebelling due to some kind of conspiracy involving the Post War Administration Bureau, and Axel can travel through time but can't control it.

EDIT: I tried Sol's arcade mode on Easy difficulty. Everything was going great until the last three fights; Dizzy feels like a boss character given the sheer amount of projectiles, Ky takes off a massive amount of health with some of his attacks, and I-No just cheats, given that she barely takes any damage, zooms around the screen, and has a super move that (a) makes her invincible and (b) summons 20 or 30 homing projectiles that can seemingly hit you from anywhere and take off about a quarter of your health even if you block it.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: I tried Sol's arcade mode on Easy difficulty. Everything was going great until the last three fights; Dizzy feels like a boss character given the sheer amount of projectiles, Ky takes off a massive amount of health with some of his attacks, and I-No just cheats, given that she barely takes any damage, zooms around the screen, and has a super move that (a) makes her invincible and (b) summons 20 or 30 homing projectiles that can seemingly hit you from anywhere and take off about a quarter of your health even if you block it.
Ahhh, well that's I-No for you lol. Her megalomania attacks (the one where she fires the little energy balls across the screen) are infuriating. All I can say is don't attack or jump over her when she does one of those, or all of those stupid balls will hit you. Same goes for if you get hit only once, all of them will home in on you. Watch for the "WARNING" before each of those megalomania attacks, to see which pattern she will use and try to avoid them.

The big one that covers the entire screen is avoidable by double jumping as close to her as possible. The timing to pull it off is hard, but it's worth giving a try since it's your only way to avoid the attack altogether. The wave one should prove to be easier, since all you'll have to do is stand under the big high curve in the middle and slowly walk towards her as it moves. There's also a pattern where the balls form a straight line up until the end where it curves up, with that one you'll just have to get far away from her and duck. After those megalomania moves, you can catch her off-guard and do some damage.

Don't air-dash a lot, she'll easily punish you. But the same counts for her, try to hit her between her air-dashes. Maybe set the round limit to 1 too, that way you'll only have to beat her once. As for Dizzy, she's mainly a projectile character, which is why she's so frustrating to play against. She's that way even in Xrd.

I thought I'd mention this as well, but there's an amazing hard secret boss after I-No that you'll only get to fight when certain conditions throughout the Arcade Mode are met. The conditions are as following:
1. Never losing before the fight against I-No. you can use as many continues against I-No as you want, as long as you don't use one in a fight before I-No's.
2. Half or more of your rounds before I-No must be won with Overdrives or Instant Kills.

I know from experience that I-No is a very frustrating boss. But hey, at least there's "Midnight Carnival" playing during the fight. An absolute banger and a track that still gives me PTSD. Try to keep going at it till you get it! Some labbing doesn't hurt too. You can do it!

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
Ahhh, well that's I-No for you lol. Her megalomania attacks (the one where she fires the little energy balls across the screen) are infuriating. All I can say is don't attack or jump over her when she does one of those, or all of those stupid balls will hit you. Same goes for if you get hit only once, all of them will home in on you. Watch for the "WARNING" before each of those megalomania attacks, to see which pattern she will use and try to avoid them.

The big one that covers the entire screen is avoidable by double jumping as close to her as possible. The timing to pull it off is hard, but it's worth giving a try since it's your only way to avoid the attack altogether. The wave one should prove to be easier, since all you'll have to do is stand under the big high curve in the middle and slowly walk towards her as it moves. There's also a pattern where the balls form a straight line up until the end where it curves up, with that one you'll just have to get far away from her and duck. After those megalomania moves, you can catch her off-guard and do some damage.

Don't air-dash a lot, she'll easily punish you. But the same counts for her, try to hit her between her air-dashes. Maybe set the round limit to 1 too, that way you'll only have to beat her once. As for Dizzy, she's mainly a projectile character, which is why she's so frustrating to play against. She's that way even in Xrd.

I thought I'd mention this as well, but there's an amazing hard secret boss after I-No that you'll only get to fight when certain conditions throughout the Arcade Mode are met. The conditions are as following:
1. Never losing before the fight against I-No. you can use as many continues against I-No as you want, as long as you don't use one in a fight before I-No's.
2. Half or more of your rounds before I-No must be won with Overdrives or Instant Kills.

I know from experience that I-No is a very frustrating boss. But hey, at least there's "Midnight Carnival" playing during the fight. An absolute banger and a track that still gives me PTSD. Try to keep going at it till you get it! Some labbing doesn't hurt too. You can do it!
I'm not sure how to lab that sort of thing. I assume that means practicing in training mode, but I-No seems to have at least twice as much health as a normal character (unless there's some other reason that I'm missing for why my attacks barely do any damage) and from what I can tell based on TV Tropes, the attack is exclusive to the boss version of the character.

As for the warning signs, I think I tried to jump over them, but they still homed in on me and hit me. (and that was for the regular version, not the screen-filling one) I could bump the difficulty down, but I feel like she'd be just as overpowered on Beginner. (seeing as she's the final boss of an arcade game, meaning that she's designed to take as many quarters as possible)

Then again, I'm new to Guilty Gear, so maybe it will help to practice so I know what works for Sol aside from his Punch-Slash-Heavy Slash combo, his reverse Hadoken + kick special, and his Hadoken motion + punch special.

EDIT: gave it a try on Beginner and I still lost. At least one of the patterns isn't anything like what's displayed (it fires orbs that fill the whole screen in every direction), it turns out that I was way off in my estimate of how many orbs there are (it's more like sixty or seventy), and even blocking it drains most of your health bar. (In some cases, it's legitimately impossible to avoid - you have to block it or get hit)

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how to lab that sort of thing. I assume that means practicing in training mode, but I-No seems to have at least twice as much health as a normal character (unless there's some other reason that I'm missing for why my attacks barely do any damage) and from what I can tell based on TV Tropes, the attack is exclusive to the boss version of the character.

As for the warning signs, I think I tried to jump over them, but they still homed in on me and hit me. (and that was for the regular version, not the screen-filling one) I could bump the difficulty down, but I feel like she'd be just as overpowered on Beginner. (seeing as she's the final boss of an arcade game, meaning that she's designed to take as many quarters as possible)

Then again, I'm new to Guilty Gear, so maybe it will help to practice so I know what works for Sol aside from his Punch-Slash-Heavy Slash combo, his reverse Hadoken + kick special, and his Hadoken motion + punch special.

EDIT: gave it a try on Beginner and I still lost. At least one of the patterns isn't anything like what's displayed (it fires orbs that fill the whole screen in every direction), it turns out that I was way off in my estimate of how many orbs there are (it's more like sixty or seventy), and even blocking it drains most of your health bar. (In some cases, it's legitimately impossible to avoid - you have to block it or get hit)
Yeah Boss I-No is just a jacked-up overpowered version of the playable one. If you really can't see yourself beating I-No anytime soon, you could always pull off an Instant Kill, which will destroy her in one go. Hey, it's not honorable, but at least it's there lol. The Tension Gauge is maxed out during the entire fight anyway in Story Mode, so it doesn't hurt to try.

You perform the move by first entering Instant Kill mode, which you do by inputting P+K+S+H at the same time (be sure to be as far from I-No as you can while doing it, as it can get cancelled if she hits you during the animation). Your Tension Gauge will then proceed to change into the Instant Kill Gauge, which means that the Gauge decreases with time and you can't perform any Overdrives. But it is during this mode where you can perform an Instant Kill by inputting qcfqcf+H (the input is also in the command list). Every character has its own unique IK, but with Sol you'll have to be a bit close to I-No.

Instant Kills are one of the more well-known gimmicks of Guilty Gear, and hey, I'd be lying if I said I didn't beat some bosses with them in the past lmao.

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
Yeah Boss I-No is just a jacked-up overpowered version of the playable one. If you really can't see yourself beating I-No anytime soon, you could always pull off an Instant Kill, which will destroy her in one go. Hey, it's not honorable, but at least it's there lol. The Tension Gauge is maxed out during the entire fight anyway in Story Mode, so it doesn't hurt to try.

You perform the move by first entering Instant Kill mode, which you do by inputting P+K+S+H at the same time (be sure to be as far from I-No as you can while doing it, as it can get cancelled if she hits you during the animation). Your Tension Gauge will then proceed to change into the Instant Kill Gauge, which means that the Gauge decreases with time and you can't perform any Overdrives. But it is during this mode where you can perform an Instant Kill by inputting qcfqcf+H (the input is also in the command list). Every character has its own unique IK, but with Sol you'll have to be a bit close to I-No.

Instant Kills are one of the more well-known gimmicks of Guilty Gear, and hey, I'd be lying if I said I didn't beat some bosses with them in the past lmao.
I beat I-No in Sol's story mode (though I got the bad ending), but I don't think I'll be able to beat the one at the end of arcade mode. The story mode version was tough enough, and I only won in story mode because I hit her with an instant kill by sheer accident. (every time I tried inputting it in an actual fight, it either wouldn't register or I'd miss because Sol's instant kill seems to have no range)

That's just the story mode version, where I had infinite tension gauge and I-No doesn't use her super move. In the arcade mode (where neither of those apply), I wouldn't be able to pull that off - by the time that the tension gauge is maxed out, a single use of her special (whether I block it or not) will instantly kill me.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Apprentice
I beat I-No in Sol's story mode (though I got the bad ending), but I don't think I'll be able to beat the one at the end of arcade mode. The story mode version was tough enough, and I only won in story mode because I hit her with an instant kill by sheer accident. (every time I tried inputting it in an actual fight, it either wouldn't register or I'd miss because Sol's instant kill seems to have no range)

That's just the story mode version, where I had infinite tension gauge and I-No doesn't use her super move. In the arcade mode (where neither of those apply), I wouldn't be able to pull that off - by the time that the tension gauge is maxed out, a single use of her special (whether I block it or not) will instantly kill me.
Ahh, yeah fair enough. Arcade Mode I-No is way more difficult due to the lack of max Tension Gauge and her Overdrives indeed. There's really no way to cheese out of that fight.

I'd just suggest to enjoy the Story Mode with different characters to familiarize yourself with the game from there. GGXXACR has a pretty big roster with tons of great and fun characters. As you said there are different endings, so experiment with the choices you can make throughout the story. Just forget Arcade Mission and the abomination that boss I-No is lol. (at least for now)

Top Bottom