• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah no I'm just saying I support KB's being allowed but I don't think we should just make DI arbitrarily good... there's a limit.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
well, technically the game does have a limit on DI. If people ever achieved that the game would be pretty stupid though. If the kb/dpad DI ends up being really dumb hopefully people will come to their senses and get rid of this evil for Apex

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah I mean I hesitate to say that we should DQ people for having good DI

but if it becomes apparent that you can get truly broken DI with KB and you absolutely cannot get it with N64, there should prolly be a ban, much as I would hate to see that happen

that doesn't mean that anyone with good DI is a witch tho. OG dudes need to step it up

B Link

Smash Lord
keyboard you can use multiple fingers not just your thumb

unless you're not gripping the left side of the controller LOL, who would play like that though? haha

the actual DI potential might not change, but IIRC you can press keyboard buttons way faster than the d-pad (we're talking n64 controller here right?) -- I could be wrong about this though.

BTW Nintendude are you coming to Impulse? We didn't get to play last time :/

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Just won battle of the bands at my college!

We thought we were going to get disqualified too which made it even more crazy

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
good **** tom. i used to hate going to BOTB shows when i was younger (as an audience member) because my buddy's band was the only good one. and that isn't me being biased. pop-punk/screamo bands dominate the teen scene around here and all the singers sound the same and nobody could come up with a ****ing original riff. meanwhile my friend is a spanish-taught, hard-rock playing, blues-and-funk influenced guitarist whose licks drive me nuts. not to mention how maniacal the bassist was and how talented the drummer. their singer just sucked and kept changing the lyrics i'd written for them.

who's down for an APEX JAM SESH

B Link

Smash Lord
Wow Tom congrats, popularity level +5?

One of my friends entered that (****ing wish I had musical talent), he got the attention of so many girls.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Apex Jam sesh would be sick. I'm strongly considering going to Apex this year anyways.

disqualified? for what, being drunk and disorderly?

that usually guarantees you top 3 lol
Yeah. We signed a form saying we wouldn't break out ****. And then during the last breakdown our singer broke his ****. Pretty standard. All the other bands abided by the rules though so we weren't really sure if the organizers would get pissed at us. You're probably right that it ended up helping us

BLink: musical talent is overrated, practice and introspection are way better. You'll never have more time to get good then if you start now

The Star King

Smash Hero
Bragging about that is almost as silly as bragging about beating me on controller

sup clubba :troll:

you should brag about that shine shieldbreak you did on stream, now that's brag worthy

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
So several months ago I had a couple buddies over and decided to grease the stick of my best controller. I encountered no problems until I tried to unscrew the little black one that holds the joystick box together and found that it had been stripped by it's previous owner. My friend, being the smartest idiot i know, suggested that we just drop the grease in from the top without even opening the controller, and I, having never opened a controller before, agreed. (I would later find out that all this does is drop lube onto the circuit board that interprets the analog x and y inputs and makes them digital.) Not surprisingly the controller is completely f'd.

My question is:
1) can anyone think of a way to remove the stripped screw without having to go out and buy a tool
2) If I did manage to get the screw out, could I replace a controller's worn out stick with this godly one, assuming i use the worn out stick controller's functioning circuitboard?

Thanks guys

Sangoku

Smash Master
I have no idea how you can remove the screw, but concerning your second question, I'd say yes, you can replace the good parts (generally the bowl and the two black pieces holding the joystick are the ones which get worn out).

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I bought a new controller, so I should not be johning about my controller anymore. :hulk:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
cobra's stir fry special

1/2 pound sirloin steak (to be cut up into small cubes)
1/2 pound chicken breast tenders (to be cut up into small slices)
1 large can of mushrooms
1/2 bag of scallops
1 large can of corn
1 serving of broccoli
1 bowl of rice (if you so desire)
salt
butter
pepper (fiery 5, garlic, lemon, whatever you like)
garlic powder
sliced onions
vegetable oil

cut up the sirloin into a bunch of pieces and throw it in a frying pan of hot vegetable oil. cook it all the way through. same for the chicken - you can add chicken seasoning to it if you so choose, but it should curl up in itself.

put the scallops in a butter/oil pan and cook them up. save the juices they create.

fry all of your vegetables separately. your mushrooms should get nice and brown, the corn should have a slightly chewy texture but also brown, the broccoli should be cooked with butter and salt and brown at the tips, the onions should be slimy as a mug and juicy. i don't use rice myself but if you like it, make a pot of it and put it off to the side.

get the largest frying pan you own and dump the vegetables in, then the meats, and finally the scallops with all their juices. keep the temperature at mid and keep stirring everything together. after 15-25 minutes of this - depending on how much you made, i know i said 1/2 lb but you could alter as you wish - pour the contents of the pan into the strainer to remove all the leftover oil/grease/juice, and serve. if you want more than one serving, just throw some foil over the pan and throw it in the fridge.

ideally, one plate of this will suffice for a night's worth of dinner. beware, though, you might get gassy as all hell.

cooking with cobra lesson number 2 has concluded.

B Link

Smash Lord
I didn't quit. I was more looking for results and it confirmed what I was looking for so I don't really need to do it anymore.

I have sort of changed my view (I think you need to play 1 matchup 100% of the time, not just use 1 character against any matchup and hope to improve from there).

I used Pikachu for maybe a month straight and my improvement began to stagnate. I realized I wasn't specific enough in my goals. I decided to set a more specific goal to be the best Pikachu ditto player. I then played Pikachu dittos only for a while against good players and I started beating people who I couldn't beat before. I didn't meet my goal but I noticed improvement that I hadn't seen before to this extent. The improvement, however, was extremely focused (1 matchup).

The downsides are: 1) You have to request the matchup you want to get good at to your opponent. Some will decline and you'll have to play someone else. This leads to 2) You also have to be disciplined not to fall prey to giving into playing whatever matchup the opponent wants/or you choosing a different character. 3) Your other matchups get worse (this means a surprise new main might get you in a tourney match, but you should be aware of who your competition is choosing before the tourney anyway lol)

It seems common sensical and not a new or original idea, but it is, in a subtle way. I am contributing the 100% part -- you can't dabble in other matchups AT ALL until you hit your goal for that matchup.

You also cannot ignore the obvious things to getting good (you must play people better than you, you should watch high level play, work on tech skill, don't have a scrub mentality etc. ). The stuff above will just greatly complement what you're already doing.

K, done. I will only respond to counter arguments via pm.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Turns out I'm gonna be in Italy from July 16th to August 13th. Apparently I've got like 15 cousins my age there. Gonna try real hard to start up an Italian smash scene.

Top Bottom