• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sweet, italian smash

oh **** more little koroshiyo

god dammit they're all gonna pop up at tournaments now, playing on laggy TV's and talking like DBZ rejects

and beating me

sigh

Sangoku

Smash Master
There were a few italian smashers who all quit (seretur I think, branzillo, ...). Now there are a few guys who just joined I think. And kero, make an exception to your no online rule and play us all.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to shoutout to sheermadness who played me for a game last night. I think I did 40% damage total, he's really damn good and seemed chill.

Battlecow, falcon ditto on DL me and give me tips some time? I saw you on galaxy with ridiculous ping last night wtf how close are you to the server?

edit: also, if any good foxes would like to play me and critique what I should work on with my fox I'd appreciate it a lot. Right now I've got all of the techniques down- pivots, shdl, z cancels etc, I just need to work on spacing, comboing online (can barely do it on 4 frames), and generally just removing options. I played JaimeHR the other day and aside from his ridiculous combo ability I was amazed at how good he was at taking away all of my options. I noticed this most in his edgeguarding and tech chasing... I'm not sure if you can really teach that aspect but it'd be really cool if any of you could hop on galaxy and give me some ideas.

I like how cool you guys are usually to newcomers

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just wanted to shoutout to sheermadness who played me for a game last night. I think I did 40% damage total, he's really damn good and seemed chill.

Battlecow, falcon ditto on DL me and give me tips some time? I saw you on galaxy with ridiculous ping last night wtf how close are you to the server?

edit: also, if any good foxes would like to play me and critique what I should work on with my fox I'd appreciate it a lot. Right now I've got all of the techniques down- pivots, shdl, z cancels etc, I just need to work on spacing, comboing online (can barely do it on 4 frames), and generally just removing options. I played JaimeHR the other day and aside from his ridiculous combo ability I was amazed at how good he was at taking away all of my options. I noticed this most in his edgeguarding and tech chasing... I'm not sure if you can really teach that aspect but it'd be really cool if any of you could hop on galaxy and give me some ideas.

I like how cool you guys are usually to newcomers

Yeah dude PM me I'm hard to run into but easy to set up matches with

I live in south chicago, server's in south chicago. Summer I go back to champaign which is still close. Life is good. Until mid-june, then life is bad.

Battlecow

Play to Win
They're not gonna do that, they're gonna save up their travel munneh to come to the kickass MIDWEST REGIONAL I'm throwing this august/maybe september.

details to follow

Whoops, Double post MY BAD

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Wow playing online there didn't even cross my mind. I'd love to play some European online smash! :)

Assuming they were interested in pursuing competitive smash (and they better be after spending 4 weeks with me), i was originally planning on just giving my cousins an n64, a copy of smash, and 2 remotes. But if they have a pc there (and i'm sure they will) i could download pj64, get them all playing online, play all of you guys online, and I wouldn't have to worry about going through the trouble of hooking up bootcamp on my mac!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Actually august might not be so great for me unfortunately. I'll try to make it but we'll see how it goes.

Also, America bailing Europe out AGAIN by rejuvenating their online smash scene.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So here's the scoop guys. There's a national Brawl tournament in Somerset, NJ on August 3-4 called SKTAR 2. It's essentially the Brawl version of Zenith. The host, Keitaro, was at Zenith and was impressed by the success of both 64 and Project M, and is likely going to be adding both of those events to SKTAR 2. What I'm envisioning is basically the same exact thing we had at Zenith except this venue is a large gym rather than a hotel.

Nothing is confirmed yet but this is very likely to go down. For those of you who enjoyed what we did at Zenith, expect us to only improve upon that. For those of you who missed Zenith, this is your second chance!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Wow playing online there didn't even cross my mind. I'd love to play some European online smash! :)

Assuming they were interested in pursuing competitive smash (and they better be after spending 4 weeks with me), i was originally planning on just giving my cousins an n64, a copy of smash, and 2 remotes. But if they have a pc there (and i'm sure they will) i could download pj64, get them all playing online, play all of you guys online, and I wouldn't have to worry about going through the trouble of hooking up bootcamp on my mac!
Sure, that'd be great. Give me your skype whenever you want to join the European skype chat.

Also, America bailing Europe out AGAIN by rejuvenating their online smash scene.
Don't be too optimistic before changes have been made. I still don't believe all of them will play online regularly enough to get so good.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Will be my birthday weekend but lolok
even more reason to GO

Also: i have in my possesion 1 unused BOOM (N64+PS1/2) adapter that i want to sell because someone out there can use a 64 adapter and i have no use for it now that i got this RAFFNET

i am keeping one of them so i can use my DDR PLATFORM on my pc for STEPMANIA at home.

anyone that needs or knows someone in the market for an adapter that is a little better than mayflash HIT ME UP(kero...)

EDIT:its a CLEAR BLACK box with a SILVER cable and CONNECTOR. SPECIAL RARE EDITION. PWN.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
What text chat service is being used by all the cool online smashers these days? I'm way behind the times on AIM, and I figure that moving to a modern chat protocol might help me find actual west coast online players for some p2p.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I never really got the whole using skype for text chat thing but I guess I can no longer resist if ssb is on the line.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
well people setup calls in it as well. it is also replacing Windows Live Messanger iirc cuz of Micro$oft buying out skype recently

Sedda

Smash Champion
I thought Windows Live Messenger died a couple of months ago already. I didn't even know it was happening until like a week after. RIP msn

Skrlx

Smash Champion
What text chat service is being used by all the cool online smashers these days? I'm way behind the times on AIM, and I figure that moving to a modern chat protocol might help me find actual west coast online players for some p2p.
I stated in the other thread that I can p2p with you. I'm on the west coast.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Hit me up on AIM or Skype, Kefit42 on both. I'm usually available on Sundays and weekday evenings.

I started up a new west coast thread in the TOTALLY DEAD online forum in the hopes of drumming up interest.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
So when's the last time anyone has seen BlueYoshi around these parts?
He's the OP for the video thread, and it hasn't been updated for a while.

I'm wondering because I think it could be cool to have a completely separate thread for instructional videos.the main video thread is so large that is hard to find exactly what you need, plus it hasn't been updated recently at all(There are zero videos under the 'Instructional' subcategory). I think an instructional video thread would be useful and has enough sub categories in itself to justify a whole new thread, and that this would increase efficiency for players with very specific interests.

Examples of subcategories:
Advanced techs:
-DI
-shield pressure
Matchup:
-Rat vs.
--Dk
--link
--rat
---rat dittos for intermediate players
--jiggly
-Samus vs.

In any of the matchup vids people could help link to videos where a player simply shows a way to efficiently approach a matchup with success, and give some insight into why it's a good example of the specific matchup.
the back room was working on specific matchups but never made it past Pikachu on ness, but I think that they had a very useful project underway, and maybe finishing the project as a community Might b cool, but some videos wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

If anyone wants to help me spearhead this let me know. I'm open to suggestion. If you think this is a bad idea, feel free to state how/why, but I'm fairly sure I disagree; I want to see and use something like this, and it could speed up the learning curve for new players, as well as become an easily accessible resource for brushing up.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i know i tried finding instructional videos that showed HAND movement for a while before saying **** it and learning it the hard way. DI, for example, that japanese titled video is what taught me how, but i can't ****ing write japanese so i can't find it again. i think it'd be great to show what di is - link to antd's vids, for instance - instances of it being used in a match, how it can stop/alter combos/deaths, and the different ways in which people di.
it'd be nifty to compare the way someone like firo djc's compared to others, or how koro holds his stick.
i'd like to see a video of someone showing exactly how they shdl, or of solo showing how he shine shieldbreaks.

all suggestions. a good idea, though, jamesjoseph!

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
^ I like your suggestions! Help me with this!?!? Or you can do it and I'll help you?? Hah :D
I could even make an account under my alt (DI Joe) and share the password with a few of us trustworthy gents to handle this ****.

To add to what you said about specific DI situations I can think of a few off the top of my head.
-boom reverse ledging sensei at zenith so he couldn't force a second set
-isai falcon against boom jiggly. Isai DIing a drill to return to the stage and ledge guard boom

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i remember seeing that in a video, the falcon/puff, think it was 12cb? but yeah, those are great clips. also interview nintendude and have him explain how to do nintendude di WITH FULL DEMONSTRATION. i could maybe do some but i don't think i'm necessarily an authority on a lot of it. although my di IS wicked :awesome:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
don't forget about pete's bread and butter combo video if you do this. I don't think he ever finished for all of the characters, but he did a decent amount of basic combo demonstrations

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So here's the scoop guys. There's a national Brawl tournament in Somerset, NJ on August 3-4 called SKTAR 2. It's essentially the Brawl version of Zenith. The host, Keitaro, was at Zenith and was impressed by the success of both 64 and Project M, and is likely going to be adding both of those events to SKTAR 2. What I'm envisioning is basically the same exact thing we had at Zenith except this venue is a large gym rather than a hotel.

Nothing is confirmed yet but this is very likely to go down. For those of you who enjoyed what we did at Zenith, expect us to only improve upon that. For those of you who missed Zenith, this is your second chance!
Quick follow-up on this. This isn't seeming as likely as it once was even though I've done all in my power to make it happen. Maybe some community support can make this a reality. It's up to you guys.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't think I can go to impulse. I went last year and had a great time, but frankly I just live too far away now and I think I need some time off.
Where can we go to voice support?
http://smashboards.com/threads/skta...sktar-com-august-3rd-2013-somerset-nj.334566/

Please don't just spam the thread though. Just say like you heard there's a possibility of having ssb64 at this, are highly interested and can bring a bunch of friends down, can help with the event, etc etc...

Top Bottom