• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

sman865

Smash Apprentice
The bad news: My raphnet adapter shipped on October 29th, it still hasn't come. I emailed them last Friday and haven't gotten a reply.

The good news: I got this fortune today at lunch:
DSC_1059.JPG

Morin0

Smash Lord
Do said EEs need to know about how the N64 works? If they don't, and this is general EE knowledge, I think you can post this anywhere on the Internet to get an answer.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Well you have a larger power supply since 3.3Vx2A is only 6.6W but the device is 5Vx2A supplying 10W. The danger in connecting a 5V source to a 3.3V input is that you can overheat and blow out the 3.3V device. Its reading values at 3.3V+-0.5V, so anything less is considered unknown, while anything more is going to blow it. If the N64 ran at 5V and the device was 3.3V then you wouldn't have as much of an issue in terms of the integrity and safety of the parts, but you might not get readings since the 5V input is expecting higher values and can return unknowns. What would happen is you would plug it in and it would probably work for a small amount of time, after a few seconds or minutes, then chips inside the N64 would start to burn and may even catch fire. You can smell this happening and will see smoke. Once this happens, those chips are destroyed and you either need a new N64, or need to remove and resolder the pieces. If you want to try this out, you can buy a pretty decent breadboard from radioShaq that should take a standard wall plug and have both 3.3V and 5V outputs. Get a transistor or logic gate with a 3.3V threshold and connect the supplies, connecting the other ends to an LED and then ground. You will see in the 3.3V the LED lights fine and works, while with the 5V, it will light up and be brighter for a bit but then you will start to smell it burn, see the smoke, and watch the chip melt before your eyes like a sadistic kid with a magnifying glass concentrating light rays on an innocent action figure.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
N64 mobo already outputs 5v for svideo IIRC "related" pic http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=60&file=8 , also the power supply outputs 12v, it would probably be easier on a untouched system if you used a step down transformer like this??? www.amazon.com/dp/B00A71CMDU i am not sure if either would work, gl

EDIT: here's the pinout if you don't have one near you to check for 12v http://imgur.com/scoEFpH

EDIT2: you could actually use both in parallel and it MIGHT even be safer, there's a few ways to get to 5v via n64 it seems :chuckle:

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
judging by shears' comment on ecssb, can i presume it was him v bark pika dittos on dreamland/peach's?

Shears

Smash Master
Yeah LD was using 64 controller and wasn't used to console. I also screwed up a lot as well but LD is expected to (and will) perform at a higher pedigree than what was displayed last night. Expect LD to be winning Xanadu more convincingly in the future than he did today.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Smash 64 finally gets a coveted time slot at Apex, 3pm on Sunday! Congrats to you guys, 64 community seems really dedicated and worked hard for this moment

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
my id has 666 in it lol
spooky scary skeletons

HAPPY THANKSGIVING GUYS

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
Fire-kun probably got warned/infracted because the image contains the word ****. There's this YLYL thread here on smashboards where words like ***** and **** are allowed, but only if the link of the image is posted, and not the actual image. :joyful:

EDIT: I'll always find that 2nd GIF disturbing.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
im going to apex im going to apex im going to apex im going to apex im going to apex

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
dont go into the comments section, just a bunch of kids saying "brawl is better than melee" "L cancel ruined other smash games" "brawl has more characters and stages, its soooo much better cause it has more"
Can I nuke all these people?

Last edited:
Top Bottom