• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Well any addition could be seen as a cool way to expand the possibilities, so why don't we want air dodges/wavedashes/spot dodges/etc? I think the reason is they are changes that by themselves are enough to denaturate the fundamental way of playing. In the case of side B's, lasering is completely different, Falcon punch recovery as well, DK's turn around punch as well, fireballs as well, etc. That's where the non-64 players problem lies: if the devs aren't even conscious how an a priori little change can affect the whole gameplay, they won't make the "good" decisions (according to the more purist players). Same as spotdodge, it may look like a minor change but its impact on shielddropping is so huge that it would be enough for us not to want to play it. That's just my opinion though and you obviously don't have to listen (I'm not even expecting a change): the devs are by definition the only ones deciding.

Vale

Smash Ace
I had heard of how it could affect the use of moves such as lasers and fireballs, and did find it to be a decent argument. The problem is a change in aerial movement when the stick returns to neutral (e.g. jump forward, return to neutral, laser, hold forward again on the next frame), correct? I had already seen how spot dodging affects shield drops, but not the exact difference in movement from the quick changes needed in stick control. If it is a significant change, it'd be a pretty decent reason, so I'd be up to changing my view and/or doing testing with both versions to see what people prefer.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Don't you play this game, dude? If you did and understood how this game works, you would know that adding a side b changes the game significantly. You don't need the opinions of others to know that this is true. Focus on getting the game as close to the original first before deciding to make some pretty damn liberal changes like adding a side b.

Shears

Smash Master
Why is is called reality 64? Are you saying we're a bunch of phonies? Is the game we play now just some fairy tale that doesn't matter? I'm insulted they're trying to make a new 64. Its a bunch of brawl ******* that don't understand 64 and have never played it and say "if I wanted combos I would just play street fighter", but now want to make a version thats like 64 because they sucked at street fighter and are afraid to step onto our turf so they're making their own because they think it'll make them cool and good at the game. If I wanted combos I would just play N64 Smash Bros. If I didn't want combos I would go throw a football around.

10comeatmebrochars

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm waiting for the Brawl style Smash 4 mod, Smash 4 style Melee mod, Melee style 64 mod, and so on

soon we'll have like 12 of them pretty sweet

Sedda

Smash Champion
You guys are being silly. You don't have to play Reality 64 if you don't want, but I also don't understand some of the stuff they're keeping from Melee/Brawl. It changes the way that 64 is played fundamentally. If you guys were to do it exactly like 64 except balanced, then that would be a pretty good representation of a 64 mod, but as it stands, it's something else. I'm ok with that, and I'll play it.

Y'all can always, you know, just play smash 64. It's not going away!

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I knew the direction they were heading in, so I stopped following the progress. Gav just mentioned it in here, so I talked a bit about it. I don't really care for it. lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
You guys are being silly. You don't have to play Reality 64 if you don't want, but I also don't understand some of the stuff they're keeping from Melee/Brawl. It changes the way that 64 is played fundamentally. If you guys were to do it exactly like 64 except balanced, then that would be a pretty good representation of a 64 mod, but as it stands, it's something else. I'm ok with that, and I'll play it.

Don't know why you call us silly, as near said we never bashed it, but it was mentioned here so we gave our opinions. And don't worry, I'm pretty sure we weren't going to play it, that's why I said the devs should do what they want, because ultimately, it is their game.

Shears

Smash Master

You know the melee players didn't need to play brawl and complain about it and get a melee mod of brawl out. They could always, you know, just play melee.

Vale

Smash Ace
Don't you play this game, dude? If you did and understood how this game works, you would know that adding a side b changes the game significantly. You don't need the opinions of others to know that this is true. Focus on getting the game as close to the original first before deciding to make some pretty damn liberal changes like adding a side b.
I do, but I'm admittedly pretty bad at it. I'm not actually the one making the final call for exactly the reason. My posts on the matter are only my opinion and not any kind of official statement.

Why is is called reality 64? Are you saying we're a bunch of phonies? Is the game we play now just some fairy tale that doesn't matter?
From the OP of the Reality 64 thread:

The N64 when under development was called "Project Reality"
That's where "Reality" comes from. 64 should be obvious. If you have any suggestions for a name, feel free to let us know.

Shears said:
I'm insulted they're trying to make a new 64.
I think this mentality is toxic for having a reasonable discussion on the matter, as it will lead to hypercritical opinions on the team's decisions. We're not trying to say 64 is bad or saying anyone should play it exclusively over Smash 64. If we were, we wouldn't be making the mod in the first place.

Shears said:
If I wanted combos I would just play N64 Smash Bros
This is a valid option.

Thank you for your support and opinions. We do want to make the game emulate a Smash 64 environment. I'd chalk some of the things we're keeping from Melee/Brawl as a current technical inability to resolve the issue. I think everything can fall into one of a few categories:

No reason to remove, e.g. taunts.
Toss-ups: e.g. throws (throws are used to start combos/get people offstage. If we make the power of the throws similar to 64 levels, we can allow characters to have use all of those tools. However, it could be argued that this would make the game depend more upon grabs, and limiting it to just two would make it easier to maintain a defined grab-game, rather than giving everyone the ability to do everything with them).
Technical limitations currently preventing removal (unsure where we're at right now, but maybe something like wavebouncing).
Things being removed: Air dodge, spot dodge, wall techs, meteor cancelling, etc.

Side-b will probably end up being removed. If there are any other questionable choices, let me know and we can discuss them as well.

You know the melee players didn't need to play brawl and complain about it and get a melee mod of brawl out. They could always, you know, just play melee.
Deciding to "just play Melee" is still something many people do. The mod exists to provide additional play and for the development team to try and make a Melee-esque environment with a more diverse cast of viable characters.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Your point being? The difference is that they kept it just like Melee, except they're trying to balance out the game. They've actually even made it easier than Melee technically.

Reality 64 and smash 64 seem to be two different things completely (up/down throws, side b, air dodge make for a completely different game), so idk what your point is. Once again, I don't know what you guys are so heated about lol. I was just saying dont play it if you dont like it.

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
What about character's like Olimar who use's his neutral B to pick pikman and side b to throw? How are you going to deal with Issues like that. Only asking because I'm interested. I'm also not really into having the side b, but for characters like that what's your plan? If you guys do end up getting rid of character's side bs in the first place.

Vale

Smash Ace
We'd tackle it on a case by case basis. For Olimar's implementation specifically, we could do something like "Olimar spawns with one Pikmin of each color. B is Pikmin toss. Pikmin have much more health." Olimar will probably be a later addition.

Vale

Smash Ace
Oh man, I'd change my avatar to get in on the joke, but I actually really like my current one.

VVilde

Smash Cadet
what do u guys think about the prospect of adding angled aerial attacks? by this i mean being able to angle aerials similar to the way u can angle forward smashes and forward tilts, i think this would make the game better because it would allow for new combos, add more variability, and would require u to be more precise with your joystick movement. i also dont think it would change the game too much
what are your thoughts?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
some worthwhile ideas:
  • hold Z to do a smash attack in the air instead of an aerial. hold A to charge said smash attack. release Z to abort
  • plat respawn invincibility now lasts 0.6 seconds.
  • ledgehop has 0.6 seconds of blue frames, or as long as is necessary for a true pika up-b stall. (we'll then ban such ledge stall under serious tournament rules)

M!nt

Smash Champion
give DK kirbys uptilt please

Also big character selection in games is a turn off for me. Like I know usually this is a plus and people like having tons of characters, but for me once it gets over like 16 or around there, I just think it's too many options. The negative that a lot of people have with smash 64, that it has so few characters is a positive for me lol.

Last edited:

B Link

Smash Lord
what do u guys think about the prospect of adding angled aerial attacks? by this i mean being able to angle aerials similar to the way u can angle forward smashes and forward tilts, i think this would make the game better because it would allow for new combos, add more variability, and would require u to be more precise with your joystick movement. i also dont think it would change the game too much
what are your thoughts?
Ya I want to angle my kirby bair

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hey can any one please help me? I like to play smash 64 online with other players but today when I tried to enter Netplay, it kept saying "Send report/don't send report" Im really sad and worried because I love playing with other people, is this happening to others as well? And does any one know how to fix this? :( please help

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
Thanks for the notice, but I asked Kero, not you.
lol this is a forum, if you wanted just one person to answer you, maybe you should have pm'd him. :/

Hey can any one please help me? I like to play smash 64 online with other players but today when I tried to enter Netplay, it kept saying "Send report/don't send report" Im really sad and worried because I love playing with other people, is this happening to others as well? And does any one know how to fix this? :( please help
It crashes when you push the "start netplay" button? Try changing your graphics plugin. If all else fails just download the one in the index and use it.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I just updated my old graphics card (or driver) a couple days ago, it still worked afterwards though, do you think it could still be the problem? @ M!nt M!nt
Edit: it works when I don't go online, only crashes when I hit "enter net play"

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
I just updated my old graphics card (or driver) a couple days ago, it still worked afterwards though, do you think it could still be the problem? @ M!nt M!nt
Edit: it works when I don't go online, only crashes when I hit "enter net play"
Oh if it only messes up when you hit the "enter netplay" somethings wrong with your emulator. maybe it's corrupt? Are you missing the kailleraclient.dll file maybe? Download this https://www.mediafire.com/?2i5cr7qk6z8stx1 , extract it and copy it to your folder, but save your own n02.ini first.

If that doesn't work I have no idea, just redownload the emulator I guess.

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I'm gonna start doing this each week for fun. What do you guys think!

Any suggestions on how i could make it better? THANKS.

-Kero the Great

Top Bottom