• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'm at the movies right now about to watch iron man, so I can't listen to the piece or look for any sheet music, but whqt do you mean by "other notes?"
Are you sure the bass isn't just playing arpegios or doing some sort of one to five movement (so if its an em chord, back and forth between e and b and passing tones to root of next chord)
Look at the tenor and soprano too. I think that those give away chords easier than whatever is happeninn with the bass. Just remember that a chord doesnt have too much of a purpose if it doesnt breathe for more than one beat, so I doubt its 4 chords per measure. A lot of movement within the bass can mess you up with 4 part writing too, so don't rely on it 100%

Yobolight

Smash Lord
^^ oh yeah Magic is great, I have fond memories of the game. Whenever I see people at my college playing it I have an urge to play, but I gave away my cards a long time ago and I don't really need to spend another time-waster in my life as I already have Smash Bros.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
for instance, in the 28th measure on my copy:

top treble has a high A tied (suspended?) to D with a G,F,E between them, followed by a rest and then a B. the same pattern is in the bottom treble, except it's in the lower A. the alto has a single F. the bass has a d#. does that mean the chord is D#FBB? and if so, what the **** is that supposed to be?

by other notes i mean, basically, i have extreme trouble identifying what are chords and what aren't, because i can't tell which notes are important.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
was just watching a youtube video, and one of the annoying popup adds was one that said "Download PJ64".

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
was just watching a youtube video, and one of the annoying popup adds was one that said "Download PJ64".
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en
If you don't use Chrome, just do. Or get the Firefox one. I'm not posting this because I think you don't know what you're doing, I'm posting it just in case you're lazy and haven't gotten around to installing an adblock yet.
That's funny though. These search related ads, soon there won't be any privacy online at all

Sedda

Smash Champion
for instance, in the 28th measure on my copy:

top treble has a high A tied (suspended?) to D with a G,F,E between them, followed by a rest and then a B. the same pattern is in the bottom treble, except it's in the lower A. the alto has a single F. the bass has a d#. does that mean the chord is D#FBB? and if so, what the **** is that supposed to be?

by other notes i mean, basically, i have extreme trouble identifying what are chords and what aren't, because i can't tell which notes are important.
Is the F an F# too? (you said the piece started out in G major until measure 56, so I'm assuming it's an F#). If it is, it's just a B major chord in first inversion. If not, I don't know. B major b5, but this isn't jazz so idk. I tried finding it on paper but I can't find it anywhere for free

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
http://imlc.rutgers.edu/music104/mozart_ekn_score.pdf
that's the score i'm using

but now i think it switched to D at the 28th measure? ****ING HATE THIS KIND OF ANALYSIS. SO MUCH.

measure 16: are those two chords or one chord? that's the kind of thing i'm confused over, whether or not ties dictate that the preceding notes are non chord tones.

really i think i'm going to wing most of this and just pray for a C.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
music analysis. i don't have a problem reading notes, i just have intense difficult knowing which ones are important

Sedda

Smash Champion
Alright, so at the end of measure 28, it's definitely a B major chord. It's possible you could write it as a V/vi (since there is no 7th in the B major chord, I think you should just go with III), because the first chord in the next measure is an Em chord. The B major chord is more or less acting as a secondary dominant (even though the chord doesn't have a seventh in it), so the D# is there so that the chord resolves nicely into E minor.

Measure 16: I'm not sure how to go about naming these. It seems like there are four clear chords, but in reality it's only two I think. First four notes (all on first beat) give you a B minor chord (iii). Then, starting at that 8th note next to it, it's a D dominant 7th (V^7). Then, on the third beat you have EGAC (C major with an A thrown in there just for fun ?lolz), and then the eight note that follows until the end of the measure is an E minor chord (vi).
For this one I would say disregard the first half of both the first and third beat notes that go down in eight notes and classify them as passing tones (so the D and B that go down into C and A respectively are just passing tones going into the first chord, and the C and A right on beginning of beat three are just passing tones going into the second chord), so I WOULD SAY there are only two chords: Ddom7 (V^7) and then Em (vi).

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I haven't analyzed music in two years

-EDIT: when I say V"^"7, I don't mean "major seventh chord," I meant V 'superscript' 7. It's a dominant chord

Sedda

Smash Champion
and the EGAC chord is just an A minor 7 chord, but I'm just stupid and read it wrong. It doesn't matter because I think the A minor 7 chord is just there as a result of those two passing tones, so still go with Ddom7 and Em

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
thanks, sedda! the fact that i have to go through 120+ measures of this ****ing thing make me want to shoot myself. what do i do with suspended notes? do i take the second note as the chord tone? as in measure 61. i think the first beat is GBDA, but the A is tied to the following G, so i should take it as a doubled G and not an additional note, right? thus making it a IV chord in D, cuz we moved into that new key at that point.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Yeah, technically the A is a neighboring tone (a type of non-chord tone that sits between two of the same pitches, in this case the A is between two G's one of which was in the last measure). It's a passing tone and you should just count it as a G major chord. If you're having more problems identifying which notes aren't important, remember that it's all music. Think of tension and release. If that A had been there for much longer, it would've probably been annoying and unstable to the chord being hinted in there, and it's probably not going to be there for long before it's moved down or up into a chord tone (UNLESS that's the kind of motif that the composer is going for... an "unsettling" and "unstable" kinda sound). You want to go in, find the possible triads in a particular measure, and then look at the melody and how the extra notes might relate (or not) to the chord that's being referenced. It's process of elimination from there

Good luck!

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Nintendude thinks muse is better than radiohead so anything he says is wrong.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Pablo Honey was a long time ago, pretty sure nobody was alive back then.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
if the combo meter resets mid combo, its not a 0 to death, just saying. That said, its better than i can combo with mario lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
anyone who thinks koalas are funny, cute or cuddly has clearly never had to punch them out of the sky as they attempt to **** your face

****ing drop bears

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
Nintendude thinks muse is better than radiohead so anything he says is wrong.
wow. i am disappoint nintendude

i could rant for hours about the genius of radiohead. i think that on first listen for most people that listen to mainstreamish stuff they usually think "wtf is this" but the more you listen to them (especially their later stuff) and process what's actually going on in the songs you begin to realize how amazing they are

oh and their hits do not count as a representation of them musically. especially creep.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
eh, it's brawl he's talking about, nobody really cares for it :p
but like he said, he was sitting there playing dnd for 8 hours while they played ssb. he also religiously follows all wrestling brands and spends what appears to be a terribly unhealthy amount of time on video games in general. i mean, i play a lot of smash, but i balance my time. however i guess he earns a decent amount of income from his website, so all the more power to him. wuteva.

i'm a page away from my last paper of my undergraduate career. just gotta take a psych exam and finish that music project and i've got my degree. finally got my ink finished that was only partially done at bhb. i'm going to rage all throughout the week at night and work my ass off during the day because, **** it, it's senior year. also going to start the submission process of my work to various magazines and online spots.
i'm just talking to talk because there is NOBODY AROUND ME AND I NEED INTERACTION GRAH

Battlecow

Play to Win
i'm a page away from my last paper of my undergraduate career. just gotta take a psych exam and finish that music project and i've got my degree. finally got my ink finished that was only partially done at bhb. i'm going to rage all throughout the week at night and work my *** off during the day because, **** it, it's senior year. also going to start the submission process of my work to various magazines and online spots.
i'm just talking to talk because there is NOBODY AROUND ME AND I NEED INTERACTION GRAH
I feel you dude.

I'm like a really lonely person all of a sudden which I've never been before. It's weird.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I love each and every one of you dearly but it's a bad day when that's all you have

and that goes for any geographically diverse community

there's my introspection quota for the month

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
it's senior night tonight. 3 dollar svedka drinks at the bar next door. i may go get blasted and hit on barflies to RELIEVE THIS LONELINESS

but chris i SHOULD be able to play for like 2-3 hours max at least once this week. this music project is really ****ing me up.

Top Bottom