• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Whatever. I'd be surprised if you DIDN'T have this opinion. Weak to your biases, you are. Mr. Patriot.
Did you not know I thought that? I've been like that since day one. We've had this conversation 9 or 10 times

Real talk tho it's all nostalgia but IDC

B Link

Smash Lord
^It's not all nostalgia. Some old games are actually just better than new games. Using criteria like gameplay, storyline, graphics (FOR THEIR TIME) etc., many game ranking websites (along with a high # of actual gamer votes) score many old games higher than their newer counterparts.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I would probably have to say that d/p/p are the worst series, because I can't remember playing any of those games. I bought Platinum when it came out, and a few weeks ago I got an itch to play it to transfer some Pokemon over to B2. It said that I had played it for 130 hours and I couldn't remember anything about it. The map, the towns, the elite four. It's like I never played it. Weird stuff.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I liked the music for the most part in DPPt, and the physical special split as well.

I also thought the underground was pretty neat.

I didn't like most of the new pokemon compared to the older ones though, but a few like abomasnow and shaymin are among my favorites to this day

Battlecow

Play to Win
Late night galaxy is no longer a thing, I guess. I remember back in the day I'd sneak out of my house to the 24-hour engineering library to play smash by myself in a cavernous computer lab against like Streak and the other guys who were up at 3 am

M!nt

Smash Champion
why do people think the new pokemon are worse?

most people I see mention this pokemon

but I mean why would people complain about that when in the first generation we literally had two ball pokemon with faces.
^It's not all nostalgia. Some old games are actually just better than new games. Using criteria like gameplay, storyline, graphics (FOR THEIR TIME) etc., many game ranking websites (along with a high # of actual gamer votes) score many old games higher than their newer counterparts.
yeah, but who cares what game website reviewers think lol

B Link

Smash Lord
yeah, but who cares what game website reviewers think lol
I care and most people should. If a large # of people rate a game higher than another game on average, that shouldn't just be ignored. The problem of bias is removed by cross - comparing scores from different websites.

It's one of the few sources with a decently high # of reports.

Sedda

Smash Champion
If anyone here watches competitive Pokemon, do you guys build your party(ies) around that kinda stuff or do you just have fun with it?

I feel like some of the magic is taken away when there are some Pokemon that are plain better (Except for legendaries).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I haven't played competitively but I've tried to build teams. I'd generally find something awesome, good or bad and then try to build a team around it to make it useful. Though the idea of competitive pokemon is kinda of a joke anyways.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I play in the VGC tourneys that come around every year, as it doubles as an excuse to travel to places I haven't been and to compete in something.

If I'm playing around I test some not so used things, build a team around neat ideas, or just try to make a team that compliments each other synergy wise. You gotta have fun with it though, try out those wacky ideas.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Why is it a joke? I dig it. Watching it is kinda like watching pro chess players lol

I always try to build teams with good synergy, but I the competitive side of Pokemon to the actual RPG Pokemon experience I feel is two completely different things. My teams would probably get destroyed by anything those guys do

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It has way too much influence on things you can't really counter. Your opponent get a critical hit, you die, your opponent freeze you with ice beam, you die, your opponent avoided your attack, you die.
Oh and sometimes the opponent might simply have a team you can't do **** about, because there are so many pokemon you can't reasonably counter them all.
But I understand it's fun, but I wouldn't take it very seriously in tournaments.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
that's not even slightly true, the whole point of competitive pokemon is to make a team that is properly prepared for as many viable threats as possible, then beat those threats by outplaying your opponent

if your opponent has a threat you can't counter, then a) you already knew about its ability to beat your team, b) your team is poorly constructed in general, or c) they manipulated the game-state (ie. knocked out your counters) in order to achieve that threatening position

crits happen, freeze hax happens, and sometimes you have attacks miss, but in the grand scheme of things the better player will win more games because he makes better teambuilding and playing decisions

asianaussie

Smash Hero
used to play 3rd gen

less enthused 4th gen

funnily enough i degenerated into a not-well-built para spread team that pissed everything off with togekiss/jirachi then cleaned with luke/sala/jirachi, with some defensive pivots and stuff

5th gen looks like absolute ****, so i just stick of the TCG

Sedda

Smash Champion
used to play 3rd gen

less enthused 4th gen

funnily enough i degenerated into a not-well-built para spread team that pissed everything off with togekiss/jirachi then cleaned with luke/sala/jirachi, with some defensive pivots and stuff

How do the Pokemon guys even deal with new generations? Is it a lot to take in when you get 150+ new ones every couple of years? lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's really not that hard from a competitive standpoint, since you should be familiar with everything that came before

like, you look through the new pokemons and you can immediately disregard more than half as useless in a competitive sense (not even mentioning the pre-evolutions, though there are some pre-evos that are useful these days)

after that you just build a team and play for a bit until you figure out what each pokemon does and how annoying it is (you remember the annoying ones very easily)

M!nt

Smash Champion
used to play 3rd gen

less enthused 4th gen

YOU PLAY TCG ONLINE????

WHATS YOUR USERNAME PLS

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I started playing competitive Pokemon this year because my friend Rykard (look up his youtube channel) got me into it and started teaching me. It's fun but I hate how stealth rock broke the game.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I started playing competitive Pokemon this year because my friend Rykard (look up his youtube channel) got me into it and started teaching me. It's fun but I hate how stealth rock broke the game.
stealth rocks broke the game? lol?

All you need is a spinner or a ghost type to counter. I think stealth rocks made it more competitive if anything.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
yeah and it makes singles go a bit faster, matches without it go pretty long since your opponent can predict and switch into anything they please without any consequence

The Star King

Smash Hero
Did you not know I thought that? I've been like that since day one. We've had this conversation 9 or 10 times

Real talk tho it's all nostalgia but IDC
I did know that. Just happened to say what I said this time.

I don't care as long as you're aware :)
Though the idea of competitive pokemon is kinda of a joke anyways.
You're a joke.

yeah and it makes singles go a bit faster, matches without it go pretty long since your opponent can predict and switch into anything they please without any consequence
I agree with this. I like that it weakens switching.

Though, the dumb thing about it to me is that it can be super-effective unlike Spikes, so it automatically weakens some types and strengthens others in the metagame with its prevalence.

Had a dream last night that i started playing with a keyboard... for Guitar Hero.

It was weird.
I played DDR with keyboard once

And by that I mean Beatmania

Beatmania confirmed for fake DDR

Top Bottom