• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
anyone see USA mens bball vs nigeria today?! Just go look up the box score if you didn't or don't care to. most lopsided international game i've ever seen.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Why do people always have to hate on countries? Seriously, patriotism is driving me nuts. I'm half swiss and I don't give a **** they got no medals. I'm half chinese and I don't give a **** they have a lot of medals.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
big whoop, im full chinese and i have to deal with my parents yelling whenever china wins anything

and i probably care even less than you do, since im now a kazakhstani nationalist

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Why do people always have to hate on countries? Seriously, patriotism is driving me nuts. I'm half swiss and I don't give a **** they got no medals. I'm half chinese and I don't give a **** they have a lot of medals.

Well for one your tax $'s are funding the athletes from your country. Seeing a return on your investment might interest you, right?

Patriotism makes a lot more sense than rooting for pro teams, because in patriotism you are rooting for people from your country. In pro sports you are rooting for hired hands.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't see how it is a return on my investment. Or do Americans get money if the US does well in sports? If that's the case, then I agree it's natural to root for his country.

I don't see how rooting for people from my country makes any more sense than rooting for hired hands.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I don't see how it is a return on my investment. Or do Americans get money if the US does well in sports? If that's the case, then I agree it's natural to root for his country.

I don't see how rooting for people from my country makes any more sense than rooting for hired hands.
Do you guys have school sports in eu? Do you root for your school, or the other school? Well the reason MOST people root for their country or for their school team is that there is a sense if unity since they have something in common. Pro teams is more, I paid therefore I plays, with no real sense of loyalty. if you don't agree that rooting for people from your hometown,state, or country is right then.... okay whatever, but its a pretty natural thing for people to do and its been done for thousands of years

The Star King

Smash Hero
battlecow patriotically points out that the US is beating China in medals right now, 18-18 in golds and 37-34 in total

I love having China around. They're so evil with their death-mode training camps for 12-year-olds separated from their families at puberty and institutionalized steroid use. Reminds me of the golden days of Russia. Olympics would be no fun without a villain.
"Reminds me of the golden days of Russia"? You're 18 n****

SSB people watch the olympics? Lol.
all my wat. Why are you surprised?

Do you guys have school sports in eu? Do you root for your school, or the other school? Well the reason MOST people root for their country or for their school team is that there is a sense if unity since they have something in common. Pro teams is more, I paid therefore I plays, with no real sense of loyalty. if you don't agree that rooting for people from your hometown,state, or country is right then.... okay whatever, but its a pretty natural thing for people to do and its been done for thousands of years

Countries are much too large for me to have a "sense of unity" (or at least the United States is), and patriotism spawns too much, IDK, radical thinking for my liking, while supporting your school team does not, but I feel a dumb argument coming so I'll drop it here.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I can understand it indeed, but I don't share the feeling. And to answer your question, we can't generalize for Europe as a whole, but in Switzerland, sports in school is a really tiny part, close to inexistant.

Battlecow

Play to Win
that's a pretty slim lead TBH
So? They're WORTHY OPPONENTS. I'll be proud if we win at all.

At everyone scratching their heads over why people root for their country in the olympics: If you really don't understand, there's something wrong with you. Why do people root for their region in smash competitions?

The Star King

Smash Hero
So? They're WORTHY OPPONENTS. I'll be proud if we win at all.

At everyone scratching their heads over why people root for their country in the olympics: If you really don't understand, there's something wrong with you. Why do people root for their region in smash competitions?
Because you know the people in your region? You can't say the same about Olympic athletes.

I don't really care about, say, MD/VA's performance in Melee/Brawl, even though they're my region, because I don't know them.

In addition, like I said, a country feels too large for me for a "sense of unity" to make sense, while a region might be small enough for it to. But that's the secondary point.

Thanks for asking though, made my case stronger to myself in my mind :)

Olikus

Smash Champion
I allways belived that teenage/young men either care about sports or gaming. Or in my an clubbas case, both. If you are a male in our age and dont care for any of those two. Playing nor spectate. There obviously something wrong with you

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea, why wouldn't smashers watch the Olympics? It's audience crosses different ages, lifestyles... and countries lol. Young men def might watch it.

I've found Smashboard peeps tend to be on the normal side.

As for those inbred galaxy folk I don't know...

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't know many super intense gamers with a serious interest in the Olympics.
If there's a dimension in which Smash 64 players are super intense, I must be in the wrong dimension

BTW you don't need a serious interest to watch, I watch whenever my whims lead me to (but that's basically how I live my life in general, upon my whims. wut)

I allways belived that teenage/young men either care about sports or gaming. Or in my an clubbas case, both. If you are a male in our age and dont care for any of those two. Playing nor spectate. There obviously something wrong with you

Actually sounds somewhat legit. Maybe males desire some form of competition?

Is Tank's name "Frank"? Frank the Tank?
TANK:

serge

Banned via Warnings

....what? I know alot of people who like and play sports and play video videos games including myself. I don't see why you can't do both.

serge

Banned via Warnings
He didn't say you can't do both, he said you can't do neither.
Oh, when he said, "I always believed that teenage/young men either care about sports or gaming.", I thought he was implying that most guys like one or the other. Guess he wasn't.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Oh, when he said, "I always believed that teenage/young men either care about sports or gaming.", I thought he was implying that most guys like one or the other. Guess he wasn't.
I think he did state that "most guys like one or the other" ...he simply didn't limit it to that though.

I assume the actual logic of that is

Most males our age will like either games or sports

A lot will like both

Very few will like neither

Olikus

Smash Champion
I allso said in some cases both. But i will be more clear next time :) my point was as sk and surri said, that its rarely young males who cant stand any of them.

Battlecow

Play to Win
smash guys can be "cool" and bro-like or nerdy, I've met 64 players on both sides of the spectrum, but even nerds can like sports (I know football nerds and baseball nerds)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
damnit i was going to post that lol

So today i was talking to this girl i had just met and she asked me if i play video games / what games i play. So I said "I play a lot of the old nintendo 64 games". She's like "yeah it's fun to play Mario or Smash Bros every once in a while" and in my mind I was thinking "once in a while? LOL if only you knew"

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
HI NEAR!

sorry i haven't been on msn in years, full-time work has been keeping me busy, and i start full-time uni in a few weeks too lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
because one store manager got sacked and the other one has been transferred to wagga, which means i'm the only one who could step up and do ****ing everything for them. dunno what the store is going to do once i take the 3 days off, especially because another shift runner is taking a month off for a holiday

not my problem though

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i was not aware monkey island 1 and 2 had been reinvented for the modern generation

actually brought a tear to my eye

best adventure games of all time

Top Bottom