• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

kys

Smash Ace
For greatest sporting moment in History, it would depend on the person, because there's SO MANY SPORTS HERE AMERICA IS GREAT.

Football:
"The Catch"
"Immaculate Reception"
I would throw in the Giants beating the previously undefeated Patriots as well. Context, Conker.

Hockey:
Rangers in '94
Miracle on Ice

Basketball:
Jordan's push-off, pull-up J for his Sixth championship
Honestly, this doesn't get talked about enough. D-Wade playing Superman against the Mavericks in the '06 (I think) finals.

Baseball:
Red Sox breaking the curse by coming back 3-0 against the Yanks

Soccer:
Who cares?

My personal favs, but a million more could be considered. Take that, WORLD.

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
Cricket is Australia's national sport - and also the greatest sport.

After that its really mixed because there are three sports that all get like a third of the attention. Rugby Union, Rugby League and AFL. Out of those three, afl and NRL are the biggest (I believe AFL gets a higher average attenence at each game but NRL has a larger television audience).

Other than those sports, there is really just a bunch of niche things, like the a-league and our world class netball competition.

kys

Smash Ace
A few more:

TENNIS
Not really a tennis fan, and America sucks at tennis. Internationally speaking, I'll stick with a more recent match and go with Djokovic/Nadal in the Australian Open

College Football
Can't believe I forgot college sports. I love Vince Young and Texas upsetting USC in the Rose bowl mainly because Sportscenter ran a ridiculous story about USC being the best team ever.
Miami/Ohio State 2002
Doug Flutie's Hail Mary

College Basketball
Villanova upsetting Georgetown in '87
Gators going back to back, absolutely destroying the tournament field.
Memphis/KU
Christian Laettner against UK

That should do it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^what ballin said. +1 on texas over usc being one of the greatest sporting events I've ever seen. The greatest part was that during the month leading up to it, ESPN compared USC to past great football teams, and ended up concluding that no one had ever been better than them. And then they lost haha

kys

Smash Ace
if blown pass interference calls are your thing ...
I agree that call was terrible. That's part of what makes it memorable. That and a Miami team chock full of NFL talent riding a huge undefeated streak.

To address your D-Wade comment, he's not the only star player who has ever benefited from shady officiating. Some of those calls were awful, but the fact remains that he took an OLD Heat team that was down 2-0 (and 13 points with 9 minutes left in game 3), put 'em on his back, and won. It was a remarkable achievement, shady calls or no.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
a study just came out with some interesting results

regular coffee drinking might lower your risk of death

the study has like 3 major limitations and was terribly controlled, but hey, i doubt anyone here but me cares about those limitations

clubbadubba

Smash Master
lower your risk of death? As in, decreasing the chance that you will eventually die from 100% to something else? Potential immortality is a great reason to drink coffee.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
after surveying coffee habits they tracked their life/death status (lol) and 13 years later, more coffee drinkers were alive than non-coffee drinkers, or something dumb like that

can you see the flaws in the study design yet

TANK64

Smash Lord
lol at that study.

Also, we can play a game. You find articles about health risks caused from coffee, and I'll find articles about coffee health benefits. Then we print them out.

Then we find more.

Then we print them out.

Continue this cycle, and whoever runs out of ink first wins!

>______________>

lower your risk of death? As in, decreasing the chance that you will eventually die from 100% to something else? Potential immortality is a great reason to drink coffee.
+7 Rep lol <333

if you can help it, you probably shouldn't drink coffee
Sentences like this are the best. Especially by themselves.

TaylorStabbingYouAndPlayingWithYourBlood.gif
i just watched this movie a few nights ago!!!
American Psycho?

Calm down about coffee TANK o_O
FUUUUUUUU

Best. Gif. Ever.

Also, Soup! Your new avatar is GODLY :awesome: .

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Sentences like this are the best. Especially by themselves.
dunno if you've noticed, but i'm usually not one to just say blanket statements and generalize, so i'm not entirely sure what i was going for with that post, but i guess there's just not much hardcore proof about the pros or cons of coffee (and there is quite a bit of speculation about both), so nobody can really formulate a truly informed opinion about drinking coffee

but i think the most important thing: yellow teeth

no thanks

American Psycho?
yes sir!

The Star King

Smash Hero

TANK64

Smash Lord
i think the most important thing: yellow teeth
My teeth be REAL white :cool:
Besides, teeth whitening is so cheap now. Totally worth a life of coffee :reverse: .

You got that reference! :awesome::awesome::awesome: I forgive your hate for coffee <333 .

It's funny 'cause it's true.
It actually is lmao. I was totally drinking coffee while typing that lol.

...wait... how do you know? SK is watching me :scared: .

Top Bottom