• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Haven't made that much at my school, actually

news travels fast + not many people so not many smashers + high school kids, while richer than college kids, also have weird fears of gambling and value money too highly.

I make the big bucks off of guys from the U of I, 'cause my school's on campus.

Although to be fair I don't even make the majority of my money there. Combination of straight-up bad-person hustling vs. melee scrubs where I pretend not to know anything about competitive play and bringing up smash at every opportunity + making sure people associate my name with it so that when someone's brother is "the best, like, really, with ness," they hear about me/I hear about them and then I use my mad psychology skillz to wring the maximum amount out of them + their crew.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@SK, on the contrary, if someone like bcow went to my school I'm sure I would've been one of those over confident scrubs that gets hustled. See when I was in high school I had only heard of z-canceling now and again (there was a guy at my HS that played online, went by lilleswing), but dismissed any thought of it as cheating lol. Plus I thought I didn't need that **** I would wreck you anyway.

@Tank, I have that same problem nowadays. My roommates open up their big mouths before I can ever make money off of anyone. Though I would feel bad taking money from random scrubs in a non-tournament setting.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
? Haven't played on kaillera for like 2 months except against Killer a couple of times. When did he beat me.

I'll RESPOND to his callout though if he wants. Tell him to SET A TIME and we can PAYPAL MONEYMATCH
He said he beat you in person at a tournament with Kirby.

All I knew when I talked with him was that he was ridiculously cocky because of that.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Man, I posted on Craigslist a want ad for good N64 controllers and nobody replied. I guess I was being too picky or maybe they thought I was some OCD person that had a weird interest in joystick quality.

Battlecow

Play to Win
He said he beat you in person at a tournament with Kirby.

All I knew when I talked with him was that he was ridiculously cocky because of that.
...Nope. I've never lost an IRL tourney

I did get sent to loser's once (never played on hori before johns), but that guy was using pika and I don't think he would know me as battlecow...

TANK64

Smash Lord
Thought that was just me lol. Yea, think I'm done with online *runs*.

@Malva, That's freakin' hilarious haha.

Also, Just re watched the Apex GFs. So good =)

The Star King

Smash Hero
Thought that was just me lol. Yea, think I'm done with online *runs*.

@Malva, That's freakin' hilarious haha.

Also, Just re watched the Apex GFs. So good =)
dude come on it's a one-time temporary thing

I'll hate you forever if you give up that easily

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^?

@SK, You can't appreciate the frustration. I feel like I can't move; I'm super slow, and can't combo or translate what I want to do into play. I'll mess around with the controls and see if I can find a better deadzone/range/whatever. And then there's delay (Yes, I hear I will get used to it...). Also, I can only P2P apparently, and it's like impossible to find a game. I forwarded my ports last night, so I can host now: we'll see.

It's funny- Playing against good people sucks 'cause I just wish I could play well back, and playing against not-so-good people sucks because I'm struggling just to control my char and it's still a challenge lol. This is smash; One mistake, and even a not-so-good player can kill you with Pika/Kirby/Falcon, ect.... I know I "shouldn't care if I lose," but it's just SOOO frustrating struggling/losing to an OBVIOUSLY inferior player. I can't help it, it bothers me (probably because I feel people think this is exactly like Smash Bros for the N64). It IS very different though, and I'm just taken back by that every time I play. Maybe because I'm expecting console, when I'm not playing on console. I'm gonna try harder to adapt better and separate the two.

InB4 Sheer says he can parrygrab with 20 frames no prob.

Isai's got it right with the Malva tag lol. Seriously.

Also, sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time putting myself through all this stress for no reason. By that I mean, I don't feel like I'm learning anything or gaining any experience lol. Unless I start playing really good people regularly I don't see the point lol. Besides practicing controls for when I play better people lol. Eh, I guess there's playstyles too.

and this isn't the first time I've tried online.

and no I'm not gonna quit because I really wanna play different char/styles/play good people regularly.

Hopefully I can find a better way to get games together for P2P. What's prime time on Galaxy?

Why am I talking about online smash in the social thread? Yuck.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Haha seriously. Last night, after lurking Galaxy for hours with no success, I went on Desiree's but you were playing [J]. I was jelly/proud/disappoint.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
so does james

we don't have to play PAL when he's around

looks like you're an honorary australian already, you're having a pointless 1v1 talk in the social thread

Battlecow

Play to Win
^^Correct attitude.

All these JOHNS are tiresome; you have to care about improving rather than winning. If someone's beating you, yes, it's possible that your controls are ****ed or whatever, but you have to take what you can out of the experience (and in 3> frames there's enough to take away to make it eminently worthwhile) rather than retreating to a place where you're the best and never improving or ****ing around with bad stages/teams and stagnating.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
@ tank, if the delay is bothering you so bad, then what you should be trying is figuring out what characters are fun in x amounts of delay.

So say you're at 1-2 frames of delay. Fox is pretty cool and fun then or maybe link etc.

Say it's at 4 frames, then samus, falcon, etc become ok to play with.

kys

Smash Ace
Tank, I had the same problems because I had to switch from N64 controller to Xbox 360. It took about 4 months of frustration until I finally got to the point where I was better with the Xbox controller than 64. Just give it time. Adjustment to frame delay will come too. I've never had more addicting fun than getting good games on galaxy. It's worth it imo.

Top Bottom