• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I'm not trying to hate on online smash at all, but anytime there is any amount of lag, whether it's playing online or playing console on an LCD tv or something, I have a lot more trouble controlling faster characters like fox and falcon. can't time rests with jiggly or upBs with luigi, mess up pivots etc.

I really only feel I can play almost to my console level with mario, samus, kirby, and maybe pika.

Anybody else feel this and know of solutions/help or is it just a practice thing, and if you do have awesome timing with a couple frames of delay, does it make it weird to go play on console without the delay? Is there some kind of no lag readjustment period?

probably should have posted this in the ask a question thread :/

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i agreee with jimmyjoe completelyy. i really dont like playing online that much at all.
maybee its because im still fairlyy new to the online world and probably just need to get used to it more. but even when playing when there seems to be zero lag, its so different to me.
it feels like when i jump to the side with any character, its like im gliding through the air. and pivots happen at the wrong times completely for me. every char feels like a floaty, and even with simple falcon uair chains, i miss the doughug nearly half the time.

bleh. im sure i just need practice.

Peek~

Smash Lord
i agreee with jimmyjoe completelyy. i really dont like playing online that much at all.
maybee its because im still fairlyy new to the online world and probably just need to get used to it more. but even when playing when there seems to be zero lag, its so different to me.
it feels like when i jump to the side with any character, its like im gliding through the air. and pivots happen at the wrong times completely for me. every char feels like a floaty, and even with simple falcon uair chains, i miss the doughug nearly half the time.

Sounds like you two are at the moment where many people who play online decide:

A. I'll just deal with and wont play over x delay
or
B. **** online smash, LOLFAKESMASH, console4life

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Kero you really are the forum ditz.
Love ya tho

:phone:
And Ballin how dare you lump my "nugget of gold"
Post in with all the rascist/anti-philosophy posts.
your post did not anger me the way the others did, but you were kinda wrong too. i am pretty lukewarm to the idea of doing some useless major just because you find it interesting. it's only a good idea if you are a TOP student in that subject and plan to go into academia, where it can be difficult to secure a position. lots of people are told "study what you like" and then are kinda screwed at the end of it.

however, I would say that philosophy is absolutely NOT a useless major. maybe many philosophy programs are weak at other schools, but at my school at least you learn to think VERY rigorously. it was hilarious when someone thought that a logic class was unrelated to philosophy (i'm actually taking a logic class this coming quarter, and it is taught from the philosophy department). even in the softer classes philosophical writing is very focused on logic. questioning assumptions (a huge thing in philosophy) often leads to amazing new ideas.

i'd say philosophy is top tier for non technical/mathy majors. in general though i'd rank hardcore mathy / technical majors (math/engineering/physics/computer science) top by far, then the less mathy sciences (bio/chem, though these can have tons of math too and are obv super helpful for pre-med) then the slightly softer sciences that are still fairly mathy/technical (econ/finance, though how much math is in here depends a lot on the program and concentration), with the non technical majors coming in way behind. not that you absolutely can't get a job as an English or Communications major, but it's not going to do you many favors.

But I must say, you are spot on with the Latin chicas thing. Were you in NYC for the Puerto Rican day parade? This is a trend I've noticed there over several years of observance:
not sure, but if I was there I was probably at work or sleeping the whole time lol

The girls that are dimes(which an obsurd # of Latins girls are) where tiny little booty shorts and shirts that are more like bras than shirts.

The girls that are extremely overweight or generally homely (which an obsurd # of Latins girls are) where tiny little booty shorts and shirts that are more like bras than shirts.
lol

I'm not trying to hate on online smash at all, but anytime there is any amount of lag, whether it's playing online or playing console on an LCD tv or something, I have a lot more trouble controlling faster characters like fox and falcon. can't time rests with jiggly or upBs with luigi, mess up pivots etc.

I really only feel I can play almost to my console level with mario, samus, kirby, and maybe pika.

Anybody else feel this and know of solutions/help or is it just a practice thing, and if you do have awesome timing with a couple frames of delay, does it make it weird to go play on console without the delay? Is there some kind of no lag readjustment period?

probably should have posted this in the ask a question thread :/

These two posts are both correct. Online I have trouble with mistiming things with all characters. Also my adapter at least isn't perfect (honestly though I complain about my crap controllers even on console).

Battlecow

Play to Win
Fun Fact: If you game over a number of times on the same level in 1p mode, the AI goes a couple of notches down. Try it sometime: Get to the polygons in Very hard with one stock, and see how hard you get shiz'd on the first time vs. how easy it gets after 15 tries.

I think the handicap might go down too, for GDK/Metal Mario. Not sure about that though

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you would know that, of course

low blow

i don't find it rewarding when the game tones down the level, but i find it downright condescending when it offers to do so

ironically, when it does so in an intentionally condescending manner, i find it amusing

The Star King

Smash Hero
it was hilarious when someone thought that a logic class was unrelated to philosophy (i'm actually taking a logic class this coming quarter, and it is taught from the philosophy department). even in the softer classes philosophical writing is very focused on logic. questioning assumptions (a huge thing in philosophy) often leads to amazing new ideas.
If this is referring to me I did not say logic is unrelated to philosophy at all. It's just that the things ciaza listed were pretty much ONLY logic, so I was saying I would not name the class after the broader subject of philosophy. You can get annoyed at my other posts tho

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
i am pretty lukewarm to the idea of doing some useless major just because you find it interesting. it's only a good idea if you are a TOP student in that subject and plan to go into academia, where it can be difficult to secure a position. lots of people are told "study what you like" and then are kinda screwed at the end of it.
Usually people with useless majors still get jobs if they are intelligent and capable. Though not always the case, Many times simply having a college degree is fine with employers.

I know a Spanish lit major that is a VP of a major bank. She's a brilliant girl, and though her major is irrelevant in her field, her intelligence, people skills, etc. allowed her to secure the position and steadily gain promotions. In fact, she was just recently promoted again, not sure her title/position now, but she is raking in all sorts of dough.

Also knew someone with a degree in History who became a Trader with a Firm on Wall St.

Anyway I don't disagree with you, You're probably right in that people shouldn't be encouraged in college to travel down a more difficult path to a success, but it's not completely uncommon for people to have more options then just academia with more obscure degrees.

More common in my observance, is an over-saturated pool of the commonly thought of as "more practical" majors fighting for a limited # of entry level potions, when trades that don't even require typical college education, such as plumbing, carpentry, electrical work etc. are making guys over six figures.

Oh and my degree is in Theatre(mostly useless), But I have a job as a Residential Manager for a building in NY.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If this is referring to me I did not say logic is unrelated to philosophy at all. It's just that the things ciaza listed were pretty much ONLY logic, so I was saying I would not name the class after the broader subject of philosophy. You can get annoyed at my other posts tho
at my school all the logic classes are taught in the philosophy department.

Usually people with useless majors still get jobs if they are intelligent and capable. Though not always the case, Many times simply having a college degree is fine with employers.

I know a Spanish lit major that is a VP of a major bank. She's a brilliant girl, and though her major is irrelevant in her field, her intelligence, people skills, etc. allowed her to secure the position and steadily gain promotions. In fact, she was just recently promoted again, not sure her title/position now, but she is raking in all sorts of dough.

Also knew someone with a degree in History who became a Trader with a Firm on Wall St.

Anyway I don't disagree with you, You're probably right in that people shouldn't be encouraged in college to travel down a more difficult path to a success, but it's not completely uncommon for people to have more options then just academia with more obscure degrees.

More common in my observance, is an over-saturated pool of the commonly thought of as "more practical" majors fighting for a limited # of entry level potions, when trades that don't even require typical college education, such as plumbing, carpentry, electrical work etc. are making guys over six figures.

Oh and my degree is in Theatre(mostly useless), But I have a job as a Residential Manager for a building in NY.
you're not really disagreeing with me - I just said it's way more difficult when your degree isn't doing any favors for you. trades are of course very underrated since they carry an undeserved stigma (because they don't require a college degree / are "blue collar" jobs).

sure, hard-working people are likely to be successful regardless but many people major in "easier" subjects because their only passion is partying and they want to have less work. these people are then totally screwed, whereas if they had at least gained some skills along the way they'd have a fighting chance. now I obviously don't support the idea that people should be able to just party their way through college, but these people are enabled by the common advice to major in whatever you want because you'll get a job regardless.

also is bank VP in a Latin America group?

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
at my school all the logic classes are taught in the philosophy department.

you're not really disagreeing with me - I just said it's way more difficult when your degree isn't doing any favors for you. trades are of course very underrated since they carry an undeserved stigma (because they don't require a college degree / are "blue collar" jobs).

sure, hard-working people are likely to be successful regardless but many people major in "easier" subjects because their only passion is partying and they want to have less work. these people are then totally screwed, whereas if they had at least gained some skills along the way they'd have a fighting chance. now I obviously don't support the idea that people should be able to just party their way through college, but these people are enabled by the common advice to major in whatever you want because you'll get a job regardless.

also is bank VP in a Latin America group?
Exactly, I'm with you all way, was just pointing out some things.
It really is an undeserved blue collar stigma thing. Most of those trades require a lot of skill and knowledge, but I guess the stigma only helps the people doing those trades to make more money in the end, being that they aren't a dime a dozen, and thus always in demand.

She's a VP of a Swiss based bank in America i believe, but I know she doesn't use foreign languages or her knowledge of literature at all because we had laughed about how her degree and job were so unrelated.

Infamous_Diablo

Banned via Warnings
Lol I'm sick of everyone ignoring me. Haha I'm just lookin for some love guys. Like I know I cAme off as a cocky troll when I came on the boards and got my a** beat down but iv been training and gotten better. But Jamie c'mon ur placing kero above me at apex? Let's gett real

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
Isai

Boom

Jaime

Nintendude

Firo

Sensei

Kefit

King Funk

JimmyJoe/Clubba/Kphox

s2j will probably do better but I don't like him.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^LMAO

1.Isai
2.Boom
3.Jaime
4.Sensei
5.Nintendude
6.Kefit
7.Firo
8.S2J
9.Clubba
10.Kphox

Didn't wanna put ties lol

Did KingFunk get up to status with controller?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
LOL whats with all the love guys, didn't anyone see the bracket? Too much work to do in the losers bracket. Plus Kphox > clubba pretty sure, but we'll see. No one taking boom huh? I'll take the leap.

1. Boom
2. Isai
3. Jaime
4. Kefit
5. Sensei
6. Nintendude
7. Firo
8. S2J
9. King Funk
10. Knite Phox

1 more post for 500, I'll have to make it a good one...

TANK64

Smash Lord
LOL whats with all the love guys, didn't anyone see the bracket? Too much work to do in the losers bracket. Plus Kphox > clubba pretty sure, but we'll see. No one taking boom huh? I'll take the leap.
Actually I don't have enough info for you two so I purposefully biased myself for your btt skills :awesome: , and assumed kphox would be cheating with his gameshark xP

Edit: WTF! I passed 500 posts so long ago! I guess I have been posting alot this year >___>

Top Bottom