• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
It just gets me that every Engineering major at my school requires that you take at least one Philosophy class.

The ironic thing is that we do much better in the class than supposed "philosophy majors".

I am a firm believer that engineers can do anything and anybody who isn't an engineer is just a useless waste of a person only living up to a fraction of a human's full potential.

:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea math rules obvi. Engr is actuallly not all about the math in the end though, heck most people use computers to do things anyway. The real job of an engr is too know what equations need to be applied in every situation, i.e. what assumptions should be made. The math, while it can be difficult, is just math and is "trivial" as the physics professors like to say. I put Engr as similar to physics actually (I'm majoring in both of them).

But again, not tryna argue, math is the coolest bow down hata's

Battlecow

Play to Win
Think I'ma be an english major

Get the **** at me

Also I watched a bunch of old "To catch a predator" episodes today, ****'s hilarious.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yea math rules obvi. Engr is actuallly not all about the math in the end though, heck most people use computers to do things anyway. The real job of an engr is too know what equations need to be applied in every situation, i.e. what assumptions should be made. The math, while it can be difficult, is just math and is "trivial" as the physics professors like to say. I put Engr as similar to physics actually (I'm majoring in both of them).

But again, not tryna argue, math is the coolest bow down hata's
i agree that engineering math is trivial for the most part. it's "difficult" in the sense that average joe can't do it, but isn't really that hard for the people that are good at it. that's sort of what I meant when I said that engineers miss out on some of the deep / super crazy math.

of course, I'm going based on impressions of certain engineers that I've met - maybe there are some types of engineers that use cooler stuff

Think I'ma be an english major
do you want to do academia?

be a CS major that's what the cool kids do

The Star King

Smash Hero
if i missed the point it is clearly your fault for not communicating more clearly :troll:

I was clarifying that ALL the logic classes are under phil - didn't seem clear from my earlier post (sounded like maybe just one class was under phil)

seriously though I don't understand the name problem
OK

I ask what one learns in philosophy

Ciaza only says logic stuff

I say that's just logic, and there should be more for it to be philosophy

You then found it hilarious that I said logic and philosophy are unrelated, which I didn't say at all

I had issues with that

Capiche?

Probably gonna be a CS major because both my parents are so why not

SSBPete

Smash Lord
I am a firm believer that engineers can do anything and anybody who isn't an engineer is just a useless waste of a person only living up to a fraction of a human's full potential.
its funny because this is actually the attitude of engineers

i just finished highschool with my top marks in both calculus 1 and 2 so im defs going into eng

what type of engineering do you do? and you too clubba. im leaning towards civil atm

B Link

Smash Lord
The people that I know, who are studying engineering, are weak when it comes to formal essay writing in the arts. They can do it, and sometimes will get close to the top, but on average from what I've seen the best engineering major won't beat the best arts major.

OK

I ask what one learns in philosophy
One usually learns how to write better and read better after studying philosophy. In addition, like (almost) every other university/college program, your critical skills improve a bit.

Ciaza only says logic stuff

I say that's just logic, and there should be more for it to be philosophy
I'm partly studying philosophy.

The main branches are usually:
- logic
- metaphysics
- epistemology
- ethics

One doesn't just study "logic stuff" that's fo sho.

clubbadubba

Smash Master

i just finished highschool with my top marks in both calculus 1 and 2 so im defs going into eng

what type of engineering do you do? and you too clubba. im leaning towards civil atm
I'm in aerospace. I wouldn't do civil, but that's just me. Systems is the easiest way to get a job, but that is the lamest of all (seriously everyone laugh at systems engineers, but they will have jobs :( ).

@Blink, yea engineers can't write essays well in general. That's cuz our attitude towards formal essays is they're stupid and useless and not part of real life. Also we no good at da engrish.

oh and leaving for NJ in < 2 hours. PUMPED!

Sempiternity

Smash Lord

I am partially under this attitude, but not entirely seriously. You can't blame me. It is very painful to go through college doing absolutely insane schoolwork when your buddy business and English majors are futzing around with accounting and poem-interpretation classes.

The other week, one of my Junior business friends asked one of my Junior engineer friends if he had any finals... wat. He didn't. He actually had seven.

I'm Mechanical and that's about as broad as it gets. It's not terrible, either, compared to some harder engineering majors, but that's all relative. It's still a massive ***** and you will have your work cut out for you. I once heard somebody say they switched from CSE to ME to play college on "easy mode". I aint' even mad. I gotta tip my hat to CSEs; that **** is otherworldly.

I wouldn't do civil. Civil is actually the laughing stock of the engineering community. :troll: There's the old adage that Mechanical engineers build weapons and Civil engineers build targets!

The people that I know, who are studying engineering, are weak when it comes to formal essay writing in the arts. They can do it, and sometimes will get close to the top, but on average from what I've seen the best engineering major won't beat the best arts major.
Meh, I disagree. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "formal essay writing", but I know from personal experience that I write damn good essays with very little effort (all those As in English and my electives gotta mean something, right?) when people who should be predispositioned toward good essay-writing struggle with it. I'm under the impression they're just a little dumber, haha.
And that's why they're majoring in English!

I feel like engineering sort of conditions the mind to think more analytically and with reason, which translates over to pretty much anything else you would want to do, including English stuff.

LOOK AT THIS: http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/l...choice-of-college-major-sways-lsat-score.html
LOOK AT IT

I seem a bit biased toward engineering, but really I'm cool with anything math-based; it's just that engineers are the best example because they dabble in a lot of physics, math, etc.

It's gotta mean something that physicists and engineers do better on the LSAT than pre-law? For chrissake, they don't even stucy that ****, and ins't the LSAT all logic and reasoning?

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Good luck to everyone. I wish I could be there. I'm so legitimately sad about this. :(

It was out of my control, but still sad. :(

Please record everything.

Thank you.

Smash.

Smash for us all.

B Link

Smash Lord
LOTS OF VIDS PLZ

Sempiternity said:
Meh, I disagree. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "formal essay writing", but I know from personal experience that I write damn good essays with very little effort (all those As in English and my electives gotta mean something, right?) when people who should be predispositioned toward good essay-writing struggle with it. I'm under the impression they're just a little dumber, haha.
And that's why they're majoring in English!
I’m fine with your argument that some English majors are less intelligent than some Engineering majors. (Although you should be aware that the reverse is obviously true as well). But, I don’t think you’ve addressed why you disagree with me on my previous post - I’m only saying that the best arts major would outdo the best engineering major at formal essay writing (formal implies that the essay would be evaluated in the same way as it would for a well-known academic journal).

*response to spoiler: Well, people who struggle with essay writing probably major in English to improve their essay writing skills (it is not an easy skill). I wouldn't call them dumb though. Nor should they be "pre-dispositioned" to doing well - if they are doing poorly they obviously aren't pre-dispositioned to it.

Sempiternity said:
I feel like engineering sort of conditions the mind to think more analytically and with reason, which translates over to pretty much anything else you would want to do, including English stuff.
This is probably true (studying engineering conditions the mind to think more analytically and with reason), although it should be noted that a lot of subjects other than Engineering do this as well.

Do analytical skills and reasoning skills translate into anything one does? I agree, insofar as it is anything and not everything.
Sempiternity said:
LOOK AT THIS: http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/l...choice-of-college-major-sways-lsat-score.html
LOOK AT IT
I seem a bit biased toward engineering, but really I'm cool with anything math-based; it's just that engineers are the best example because they dabble in a lot of physics, math, etc.
It's gotta mean something that physicists and engineers do better on the LSAT than pre-law? For chrissake, they don't even stucy that ****, and ins't the LSAT all logic and reasoning?
Are you implying that some physicists and engineers are smarter than some pre-law students because they do better on the LSAT? There are many ways to measure intelligence and I don’t think the LSAT is the best way of doing it, so no I don’t think some engineers are smarter than some pre-law students because of their LSAT score.

Battlecow

Play to Win
do you want to do academia?

be a CS major that's what the cool kids do
**** no @ academia, totally unappealing to me.

Na, I'm gonna do the law thing. I was gonna do like... pre-law or something? But all the lawyers I talked to were just like "Na just do 4 years of history/english/something that shows you're good at school at a good college"

So I was like sweeeeeeeet english here I come

Apparently they're not making new lawyers and they won't be in the near future, leaving a ****load of smart people with law school debts in between the good ol' rock and hard place, but I figure I can just be that good and get a clerkship or whatever by being in the top whatever percent.

@CS- I don't know **** about computers, lol. Plus the one Computer lit class I took in high school was my least favorite class of all time.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I’m fine with your argument that some English majors are less intelligent than some Engineering majors. (Although you should be aware that the reverse is obviously true as well). But, I don’t think you’ve addressed why you disagree with me on my previous post - I’m only saying that the best arts major would outdo the best engineering major at formal essay writing (formal implies that the essay would be evaluated in the same way as it would for a well-known academic journal).

*response to spoiler: Well, people who struggle with essay writing probably major in English to improve their essay writing skills (it is not an easy skill). I wouldn't call them dumb though. Nor should they be "pre-dispositioned" to doing well - if they are doing poorly they obviously aren't pre-dispositioned to it.
You should note that my assertions about intelligence are largely in jest. Like I said, I'm just mad because engineering is hard (B'AWWWWW).

I do agree that the best anything major would outdo the best engineering major at their respective topics. That makes sense. What I am arguing is that if somebody who succeeded at engineering had applied himself and majored in something different, he would do better than that 'anything major' at that topic. Sorry if that's confusing. Also, I realize that this is a startling jump of an assumption to make and it might not necessarily hold true, but what I still hold true is that somebody who can do engineering has a larger capacity for learning and doing other things than most people, meaning they could potentially do anything (and do it at least adequately well).

And that spoiler was merely noting my observations. Maybe UConn is a dumb **** school, but some of the English and business majors I've met there make me lose faith in humanity.

Are you implying that some physicists and engineers are smarter than some pre-law students because they do better on the LSAT? There are many ways to measure intelligence and I don’t think the LSAT is the best way of doing it, so no I don’t think some engineers are smarter than some pre-law students because of their LSAT score.
Not necessarily smarter, but it's just one example supporting my claim that engineers can do anything. You don't find it odd that a physicist who spends all his days studying quantum mechanics and astrophysics can just sit down to an LSAT, ace it, and resume his science?

Meanwhile a pre-law guy has been studying this for his entire college career. He should be the most prepared and should theoretically do the best on a LAW EXAM. Yet he severely underperforms. I really don't know what exactly this means below the surface and I don't really care to find out, but it certainly is intriguing and says a lot about a person's predispositions (an engineering/analytically-minded person seems to have a lot of them...)

M!nt

Smash Champion
What about him?

You can still log in, you just can't post I think.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
so i was in the USER BLOGS the other day in this one thread right, and people had to list their favourite smash game and why. most people analysed all 3 games and i was surprised that a lot of people had negative things to say about 64. i don't know how it is in other countries, but most people i met at tourneys in australia either liked the game for what it was, liked it for nostalgia reasons, were neutral on it, or were willing to give it a go. there were very few who actively disliked it, so it was weird for me to see people say otherwise. not only that, if they didn't dislike it some people saw it as an underdeveloped melee, or a prototype/test-game, etc. i've never even really thought about that, i always saw it as a fairly different game that couldn't really be compared.

so basically what i'm asking is what is it like for you guys when you meet brawlers/meleers at meets? do they hate the game or what? just curious is all.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Ive pretty much only met melee players. besides from 64 players. And they all hate brawl, and like 64, just not as much as melee.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea that's the general consensus. They think 64 is Melee without wall techs and air-dodging; it's actually quite sad :(. They all usually say they love it though, but would rather play melee for the reason stated earlier. I also get comments like this that make my head explode:

"64, yea, you can't shield in that game. If you shield you lose"
or
"Ness is broken"

B Link

Smash Lord
melee = 64 > brawl

sempiternity said:
You should note that my assertions about intelligence are largely in jest. Like I said, I'm just mad because engineering is hard (B'AWWWWW).
Not to sound super-serious (note that I’m on here procrastinating for an assignment lol) but I can’t laugh at it because some people actually believe that the extreme is the case (i.e. that most English and Business majors should be looked down at by all the other subjects). There's a trend of cockiness coming from engineering majors. Still, Engineering clearly deserves its reputation for being one of the most difficult (if not the most difficult) program in undergrad. The mistake would be to take it to the extreme and assume that the other programs at their highest levels aren’t also hard.
sempiternity said:
I do agree that the best anything major would outdo the best engineering major at their respective topics. That makes sense. What I am arguing is that if somebody who succeeded at engineering had applied himself and majored in something different, he would do better than that 'anything major' at that topic. Sorry if that's confusing.
It’s confusing. Do you mean that any engineering major can major in any other major and do better than any of the people in his new program? …better than the average? Or do you mean he/she can do better than all people in his/her new program?
I’m pretty sure you meant the first one (any person) but then I’d like to entertain the idea that the reverse is true for arts majors going into engineering (yes I would argue it is true although it doesn’t seem like it. Force a competent arts major to go into engineering and he/she will find a way to do well.)
sempiternity said:
Also, I realize that this is a startling jump of an assumption to make and it might not necessarily hold true, but what I still hold true is that somebody who can do engineering has a larger capacity for learning and doing other things than most people, meaning they could potentially do anything (and do it at least adequately well).
Ok, but I’ll entertain the idea that the reverse is true. Some arts majors have larger capacities for learning and doing other things than most people. Also, some arts majors can potentially do anything and do it adequately well too.
The reason I’m entertaining this idea is to, again, make sure that people don’t take things to the extreme and assume that all engineers are better at everything. You humble, yet cocky engineers.

sempiternity said:
And that spoiler was merely noting my observations. Maybe UConn is a dumb **** school, but some of the English and business majors I've met there make me lose faith in humanity.
No, it’s probably not the school. That fact is observed even where I live (Ontario). But I would say business majors over here are not the same as they are in the US. It is very competitive at its highest levels and even average students become CPAs/CMAs etc. and make close to six figures. I don’t know about the English majors – most seem pretty normal over here, what’s wrong with the ones over there?
sempiternity said:
Not necessarily smarter, but it's just one example supporting my claim that engineers can do anything. You don't find it odd that a physicist who spends all his days studying quantum mechanics and astrophysics can just sit down to an LSAT, ace it, and resume his science?
Here’s some free information about the LSAT just in case you were wondering. Studying for the LSAT has nothing to do with your program. Studying for the LSAT is done through practice tests and mental preparation. The components of the LSAT are unlike anything studied in undergrad (except intro to logic for the logic section). It’s not odd – I think it’s because the average physicist probably has better study skills than some of the other majors. Note that there are people from all majors who have gotten the top score on the LSAT.

sempiternity said:
Meanwhile a pre-law guy has been studying this for his entire college career. He should be the most prepared and should theoretically do the best on a LAW EXAM. Yet he severely underperforms. I really don't know what exactly this means below the surface and I don't really care to find out, but it certainly is intriguing and says a lot about a person's predispositions (an engineering/analytically-minded person seems to have a lot of them...)
I know you said you don’t care (although you also said it’s intriguing lol) but then this is for anyone else: There’s probably some misconception that there exists pre-law programs. Law schools don’t care what major you took. They mainly only care about your GPA and LSAT score. And as I said above the LSAT is unreflective of anything studied in undergrad (except intro to logic for the logic section).
To be brief, there is no pre-law program and thus there is no burden for anyone doing a program other than the sciences/maths to succeed on the LSAT. There are both engineers and arts majors who do poorly on it.
There seems to be a lot of engineers on this forum so get at me if you’re bored.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Most everyone I know loves 64, although they don't take it seriously. Melee peeps especially tend to view 64 as their lovable if slightly ******** younger brother, and brawl as their abusive alcoholic stepfather.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol that's pretty damn close to how i describe the toy story movies

i've said this before and ill say it again, somebody needs to write a 2-paragraph blogpost with a short list of stupid misconceptions about 64

Top Bottom