• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ballin will never admit any of his points are wrong because they are not disprovable, whereas determinism is not provable

everyone else will never admit any of their ponts are wrong because they not disprovable, whereas free will is not provable

sick of talking about this, talk about ponies or food or bad music

ballin4life

Smash Hero
No, it doesn't. Think about it. If new information is gained, then the logical process just starts all over again. Free will doesn't have to come into play at all. DUCY?
Kind of a weird way to put it, but I guess that works.

In b4 The Star King posts about having to look up "DUCY."
There's no such thing as new information under determinism though. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

ballin will never admit any of his points are wrong because they are not disprovable, whereas determinism is not provable

everyone else will never admit any of their ponts are wrong because they not disprovable, whereas free will is not provable

sick of talking about this, talk about ponies or food or bad music
I have not brought up "proof" at all. I have brought up "evidence". Which has more evidence for it? That's my standard. Obviously neither is provable.

DMoogle

A$
There's no such thing as new information under determinism though. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
I think you are. By new information, I'm talking about on a human level, not on a grand level. For example, say a person does action A because of the past experiences and stuff in their life. Then, something new happens in their life, and from that point on, they do action B.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'll talk about ponies. How about that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Most legit show ever.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i had quiche for the first time today, very cheesey

i chose quiche by my own free will, apparently

or perhaps it was because i had just come out of a lecture about the necessities of calcium and was looking for some

will free will or determinism triumph

spoiler: i don't care, it tasted alright

DMoogle

A$
I loved quiche when I was a kid. It's too heavy now though. I'm also pretty picky, which kind of limits my selections; I grew up not really eating vegetables, so now I don't like most of them. I'm trying to get better though. I think when I get my own place I'm going to start making vegetable smoothies or something to get me started on eating them.

MattNF

Smash Lord
according to chaos theory, no natural system can be measured and accurately predicted over long periods of time due to chaotic fluxuations in behavior.
take the weather for example: only approximations can be made about tomorrows weather and the day after and the day after and so on, because any slight movement, anywhere in the universe could potentially disturb the weather pattern over a very long course of time making it unpredictable.
therefore nothing can be determined before it happens.
therefore there must be some form of free will in humans.
Comprehension fail. I honestly hope you're not this dumb. Or that I'm getting trolled right now.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I'm going to start making vegetable smoothies or something to get me started on eating them.
this sounds like the worst idea ever. I don't think i've ever thought about how i want to eat my veggies (which i love) and thought smoothie. you should try grilled or oven roasted. oven roasted asparagus is bomb. put it on a sheet pan with some olive oil and salt, throw it in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 min, dunzo.

Sangoku

Smash Master
What job/uni do you guys do/go to?

I've always been wondering what kind (or all kind?) of people played smash.

In Europe, the few I've asked are rather scientists like mathematician or computer scientist.

I'm in first year of medicine, but as no one probably cares I put it in spoiler

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I loved quiche when I was a kid. It's too heavy now though. I'm also pretty picky, which kind of limits my selections; I grew up not really eating vegetables, so now I don't like most of them. I'm trying to get better though. I think when I get my own place I'm going to start making vegetable smoothies or something to get me started on eating them.
FYI blended vegetables are not NEARLY as healthy as normal vegetables.

Basically for health it's

raw>>>cooked>>>>>>>>blended

blended is still probably healthier than most foods though I guess

Random nutrition tip since I'm taking nutrition in school right now: If you're going to eat something high in carbohydrates, eat a bunch of (raw) coarse vegetables with it to slow down your digestion. This will prevent your blood sugar from spiking.

Random tip #2: POTATOES ARE NOT A VEGETABLE. THEY ARE A STARCH.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Go be a **** somewhere else Matt.

I'm in first year science, but it's trash so I'm going to transfer into psychology.

Roast potatoes are the best form of potato. And ballin, why is blended not as good as raw? I've always had the idea that as long as you get it into your system it's fine. However I'm not studying nutrition.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Go be a **** somewhere else Matt.

I'm in first year science, but it's trash so I'm going to transfer into psychology.

Roast potatoes are the best form of potato. And ballin, why is blended not as good as raw? I've always had the idea that as long as you get it into your system it's fine. However I'm not studying nutrition.
Blended destroys some of the phytonutrients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytonutrient

Also blended doesn't slow down digestion as well as raw.

Overall though, blended veggies are definitely going to be better for you than eating bread or something.

What about juiced, a la, Jack LaLanne style?
Not as good for you as raw.

Also fruit juice in general is bad for you, contrary to what many believe. It spikes your blood sugar a lot.

Potatoes are good, but i've always seen them as empty calories for the most part.
Yeah definitely.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
That Phytonutrient wikipedia link says that some nutrients become concentrated after processing, such as lycopene. So it's unfair to say that processing a food will always destroy nutrients, or be less beneficial than raw.

In chemistry lab, we use a mortal and pestle to grind up plants in order to separate out their chemical components. Macroscopic scale destruction of plant material will not destroy their microscopic components. By that logic, even the very act of chewing food deprives it of nutritional content.

So lets just shove whole vegetables down our throats. Yeah, that's the way to eat.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Jordan takes common and obvious knowledge and converts it to irrefutable scientific logic with all the grace of a Jewish kidney transplant surgeon.

And I'm of the opinion that we should smoke all our vegetables because that would provide the fastest uptake of micronutrients.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
Not all microscopic molecules can be conveniently vaporized, different boiling points and the fact that not all nutrients are on the surface of a plant mean that smoking would be time consuming and inefficient.

For the highest response/dose (efficiency), we should all rectally administer our vegetables.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
But if we put food in our butts will we poop from our mouths?

not really sure your intestines are equipped to break down cellulotic structures. Megavitamins, on the other hand...

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Macroscopic scale destruction of plant material will not destroy their microscopic components. By that logic, even the very act of chewing food deprives it of nutritional content.
I think this fact and corresponding counterexample pretty much show that you are wrong though. Did you ignore this part of the post?

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
But if we put food in our butts will we poop from our mouths?

not really sure your intestines are equipped to break down cellulotic structures. Megavitamins, on the other hand...
Yeah man, those Megasuppositories. They go up smooth, like Link's Uair countering Yoshi's downB.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
The few times it's happened to me Link's Uair has always out prioritized Yoshi's DownB, from the bottom.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You should conform and play Smash 64 too :bee:
Believe me, I tried. I can't play with the controls though, so I end up looking like I never played video games before when i play it.

Determinism implies predictably if you have sufficient knowledge.

I don't see how there could possibly be a causal relationship between my genetics, my upbringing, Star King's post, and me snapping my fingers. Seems more like something that I randomly chose to do.
Actually it's more like a combination of all those things plus near infinite other factors. Obviously there's some things with a larger effect then others, but the set of actions is so large that just using the major factors doesn't hold any predictive force. On the other hand, in cases where options are fewer, it becomes possible to make predictions, take for example, playing fighting games like well... this game.

Not having at least weak determinism violates causality.

FYI blended vegetables are not NEARLY as healthy as normal vegetables.

Basically for health it's

raw>>>cooked>>>>>>>>blended

blended is still probably healthier than most foods though I guess

Random nutrition tip since I'm taking nutrition in school right now: If you're going to eat something high in carbohydrates, eat a bunch of (raw) coarse vegetables with it to slow down your digestion. This will prevent your blood sugar from spiking.

Random tip #2: POTATOES ARE NOT A VEGETABLE. THEY ARE A STARCH.
Well that's a little deceptive because that doesn't take into account the other benefits provided with cooking, namely getting rid of microbes and the like, though it will always reduce the pre-existing nutritional benefits.

Not like that's generally an issue for store-bought food, but my love of wilderness survival led me to bring that up (long story short, you end up scavenging, sear the mother****er, otherwise avoid cooking your catches too much otherwise you lose valuable nutrients).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Love how people are coming from f***ing everywhere to take part in the mighty 64's social thread debates.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Believe me, I tried. I can't play with the controls though, so I end up looking like I never played video games before when i play it.
You can get a Gamecube adapter or play with another controller online

Actually it's more like a combination of all those things plus near infinite other factors. Obviously there's some things with a larger effect then others, but the set of actions is so large that just using the major factors doesn't hold any predictive force. On the other hand, in cases where options are fewer, it becomes possible to make predictions, take for example, playing fighting games like well... this game.
Yes, I know what determinism states. There's just no reason to assume that having all that knowledge would allow you to make predictions

Not having at least weak determinism violates causality.
Give a statement of what specifically you mean by causality, and then tell me what's wrong with violating it. If by causality you mean "every event has a sufficient cause" then obviously free will violates causality by definition (in fact, causality would just be another way of stating determinism). Anyway, causality is just something we've observed for inanimate objects.

Well that's a little deceptive because that doesn't take into account the other benefits provided with cooking, namely getting rid of microbes and the like, though it will always reduce the pre-existing nutritional benefits.

Not like that's generally an issue for store-bought food, but my love of wilderness survival led me to bring that up (long story short, you end up scavenging, sear the mother****er, otherwise avoid cooking your catches too much otherwise you lose valuable nutrients).
I'm not talking about meat ... although supposedly consistently overcooking your meat increases your risk of cancer by 300% (as opposed to moderate cooking). Time to start ordering your steaks medium rare.

For vegetables though, it is true that some raw ones are likely to have 10 million pesticides on them, so maybe it's a good idea to cook them (or buy organic). But generally it is true that something like cooked spinach will not be as nutritious as raw spinach.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
the link uair/ yoshi downb thing is a joke... cause like Link sends the tip of his sword upwards with gusto while yoshi plummets ***-first with reckless abandon.Thus, hilarity ensues when they meet. And yeah, link wins that exchange by means of a disjointed hitbox.

Top Bottom