• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's not a hot take. I was answering a question I was asked. Context. It's very important.

I absolutely HATE power scaling. It makes it seam like a character's victory is only dependent on how strong they are physically. When media has a long history of weaker guys winning because they fought with more intelligence and strategy, or because of their specific powers. And Dr. Coyle is a strategic genius, meaning she could probably find a way to beat ANY of them through strategy. Just as an example, Bowser and K. Rool are idiots and easily kited and tricked, and Ridley and Ganondorf are prideful and arrogant, meaning they're likely to underestimate their opponent and fall victim to traps. I personally think vs. matching in general should rely less on power levels and power scaling and more on strategy and abilities. Remember, DragonBall (the media to create the concept of "power levels" and "power scaling" said as follows....
I would say Bowser is more arrogant than idiotic, even if he isn’t always the brightest; same with K. Rool. Bowser just likes to brute-force things with his power and only does otherwise sometimes maybe with another character like Starlow persuading him. I mean he’s gotta be at least somewhat smart to be able to strategize a plan to take over the universe and nearly succeed if it wasn’t for that meddling plumber, and he shows himself to be a good father and leader.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would say Bowser is more arrogant than idiotic, even if he isn’t always the brightest; same with K. Rool. Bowser just likes to brute-force things with his power and only does otherwise sometimes maybe with another character like Starlow persuading him. I mean he’s gotta be somewhat smart to be able to strategize a plan to take over the universe and nearly succeed if it wasn’t for that meddling plumber.
And as already mentioned. King K. Rool is surprisingly smart for his appearance and instability. He's strategic using trickery to his advantage notably pretending to be defeated at the end of DKC and having been an scientist once in DKC3. He also built the Blast-O-Matic. That takes lot of brain power to build something like that and was basically the equivalent to an Star Wars villain in DK64.

That's nowhere close to being an idiot as Snake was describing.

Something that would certainly give him the edge over Dr. Coyle.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's not a hot take. I was answering a question I was asked. Context. It's very important.

I absolutely HATE power scaling. It makes it seam like a character's victory is only dependent on how strong they are physically. When media has a long history of weaker guys winning because they fought with more intelligence and strategy, or because of their specific powers. And Dr. Coyle is a strategic genius, meaning she could probably find a way to beat ANY of them through strategy. Just as an example, Bowser and K. Rool are idiots and easily kited and tricked, and Ridley and Ganondorf are prideful and arrogant, meaning they're likely to underestimate their opponent and fall victim to traps. I personally think vs. matching in general should rely less on power levels and power scaling and more on strategy and abilities. Remember, DragonBall (the media to create the concept of "power levels" and "power scaling" said as follows....
Makoto could beat her...she best girl
Galactus blows up earth

Danny eventually loses energy and reverts to human form and suffocates in the vacuum of space.

Galactus wins.
then Squirrel Girl destroys them both

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aw man all this vs. debate talk is bringing up back my ideas for Nintendo vs. Jump Stars rivalries.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece): Evil Pirates
Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi (Bleach): Honorable Rivals
Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya): Gods Chosen Champions
Ridley (Metroid) vs. Frieza (Dragon Ball Z): Genocidal Aliens

And you guys probably know the rest.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It absolutely is a hot take, because you make no effort to explain yourself. Not that you need to, because you going against popular opinion is kind of expected of you at this point.
I’ve also explained why I don't like Waluigi many times before and I didn't want to start a fight again, something i mentioned a few posts back from the one you quoted. And then a few posts later we were Thanos memeing about it. No harm no fowl.
And as already mentioned. King K. Rool is surprisingly smart for his appearance and instability. He's strategic using trickery to his advantage notably pretending to be defeated at the end of DKC and having been an scientist once in DKC3. He also built the Blast-O-Matic. That takes lot of brain power to build something like that and was basically the equivalent to an Star Wars villain in DK64.

That's nowhere close to being an idiot as Snake was describing.

Something that would certainly give him the edge over Dr. Coyle.
Dr. Coyle created Springtron, Headlok, and Helix. I'd say those are more in depth to create then the Blast-O-Matic or KAOS. Especially Helix.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know what's ironic? People requested Mewtwo vs. Frieza just because of similar appearance for an Death Battle when if anything Frieza has more in common with Ridley then he does with Mewtwo being they're both sadistic genocidal aliens that revels in death, chaos and destruction.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know what's ironic? People requested Mewtwo vs. Frieza just because of similar appearance for an Death Battle when if anything Frieza has more in common with Ridley then he does with Mewtwo being they're both sadistic genocidal aliens that revels in death, chaos and destruction.
I still think Mewtwo vs. Silver would have been better because of the similar power set. Even if it would have been a Mewtwo stomp.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since I've be talking about Protonjon, I got a question for you guys.
What games have you beaten for the first time this year?
Here is my current list of beaten games in order of me beating them:
1) The Messenger
2) Hollow Knight
3) Astral Chain
4) Castle Crashers
5) Child of Light
6) Doom 3
7) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
8) Shovel Knight: King of Cards
9) Shovel Knight Showdown
10) ARMS
11) Cuphead
I'm a bit late, but is this games that we've beaten in 2020 or games that we've beaten in the past 365/366 days?

If it's 2020 (I don't think this is a complete list, but it's to the best of my recollection)...

1) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
2) Dragon Quest XI
3) Super Bomberman R
4) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch, though this is my first time beating it in general)
5) River City Ransom (the Japanese version - I think it's called Downtown Nekketsu Story? Through the Switch collection)
6) Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
7) Persona 4
8) One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Since I've be talking about Protonjon, I got a question for you guys.
What games have you beaten for the first time this year?
Here is my current list of beaten games in order of me beating them:
1) The Messenger
2) Hollow Knight
3) Astral Chain
4) Castle Crashers
5) Child of Light
6) Doom 3
7) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
8) Shovel Knight: King of Cards
9) Shovel Knight Showdown
10) ARMS
11) Cuphead
1) Pokemon Sword

I like to procrastinate

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I haven't beaten any new games. Last one was Sword, but that was awhile ago.

Depending on if I sell my Magic cards for a good price or not, the next game I'm gonna get is Animal Crossing, and you can't really, "beat" Animal Crossing. :224:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This time, I'm a-gonna wipe out half of existence!
...who kills him then? Cause he's gotta get his head chopped off first, then another Wah has to be snapped away
Bowser can’t even kick Mario’s ass, what are you talking about?
Bowser can beat him under certain conditions
It absolutely is a hot take, because you make no effort to explain yourself. Not that you need to, because you going against popular opinion is kind of expected of you at this point.
play nice
Aw man all this vs. debate talk is bringing up back my ideas for Nintendo vs. Jump Stars rivalries.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece): Evil Pirates
Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi (Bleach): Honorable Rivals
Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya): Gods Chosen Champions
Ridley (Metroid) vs. Frieza (Dragon Ball Z): Genocidal Aliens

And you guys probably know the rest.
K Rool
Meta Knight
PIT PIT THIS IS IT
PIT PIT YOU DA ****
PIT PIT THIS IS LIT
PIT PIT NO MO 8-BIT
and Frieza
Nintendo be like:
...reminds me of a YouTube show
Bowser is more brawn than brain, but that doesn't make him an idiot.
Bowser is less of both...and more Pimp Daddy

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not sure if this was shared before but I really like this and I was curious what you guys thought.
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 really curious to hear your thoughts on this since you’re a big DK fan.

Bowser can beat him under certain conditions
As in becoming invincible or throwing a foreign tool at him.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I would say Bowser is more arrogant than idiotic, even if he isn’t always the brightest; same with K. Rool. Bowser just likes to brute-force things with his power and only does otherwise sometimes maybe with another character like Starlow persuading him. I mean he’s gotta be at least somewhat smart to be able to strategize a plan to take over the universe and nearly succeed if it wasn’t for that meddling plumber, and he shows himself to be a good father and leader.
Bowser's pretty dumb but the Mario universe isn't exactly filled with bright characters.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F
catlyn.png

Jesus, glad I had the sketch lying around, it was a very good idea finishing it today, because it distracted me from some things that had me rather worried and now everything is okay. I hope you like it.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F
View attachment 270311
Jesus, glad I had the sketch lying around, it was a very good idea finishing it today, because it distracted me from some things that had me rather worried and now everything is okay. I hope you like it.
Words can not begin to describe how much I love this. This is seriously amazing! I love it so much! Keep up the good work.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm a bit late, but is this games that we've beaten in 2020 or games that we've beaten in the past 365/366 days?

If it's 2020 (I don't think this is a complete list, but it's to the best of my recollection)...

1) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
2) Dragon Quest XI
3) Super Bomberman R
4) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch, though this is my first time beating it in general)
5) River City Ransom (the Japanese version - I think it's called Downtown Nekketsu Story? Through the Switch collection)
6) Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
7) Persona 4
8) One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
I am asking what games you guys beaten for the first time since 2020 began.
I thought I was asking clearly but I guess not.
This idea comes from Protonjon's Game Clearing Streams by the way.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not sure if this was shared before but I really like this and I was curious what you guys thought.
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 really curious to hear your thoughts on this since you’re a big DK fan.

As in becoming invincible or throwing a foreign tool at him.
I like a lot of this, although I have a few gripes. One, I'm not a fan of the slap change and the banana special. Keep the slap as down special and have something else for the side special. Maybe the coconut gun, maybe something else. As for Diddy.... I am not interested in the Diddy/Dixie tag system. Dixie should just be on her own as an echo. I don't know what his down special would be, but it should be something else. Especially since the tag system was removed from the most recent games.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Words can not begin to describe how much I love this. This is seriously amazing! I love it so much! Keep up the good work.
:3 I'm so glad you liked it! I am rather satisfied with the result, and I had a lot of fun drawing Catlyn.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There. I finally played Dragon Ball 64 Kart(romhack of Mario Kart 64, for those who don't know). Was a beta, but I honestly found it pretty fun. Nice and simple.

For comparison.

Last edited:

BUFF MY PUFF

Smash Apprentice
Here's my opinion, someone might have already said this, im not copying anyone.
Possibilities:
1. Spring Man, Assist will be replaced with a Ribbon Girl that acts exactly the same as the current Spring Man assist does
2. Min Min. She won the Arms Grand Prix, which could've been for "Who gets Smash" all along. Also who I voted for.
3. Ribbon Girl. We kinda need more girls in Smash, and she would be a good idea.
4. All of the above, Spring Man being the fighter with alts being other Arms characters, like Bowser Jr.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Managed to preorder the collector's set for Xenoblade Definitive Edition :)

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Sakurai commented on Kirby's 28th birthday.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There. I finally played Dragon Ball 64 Kart(romhack of Mario Kart 64, for those who don't know). Was a beta, but I honestly found it pretty fun. Nice and simple.

For comparison.
I’ve seen this before, and it’s still so weird to me yo see Beerus (a relatively new character) in an n64 game. I know it’s a rom hack made years later, but it kind of breaks my immersion, you know? Like, if I were making it I would have stuck to DragonBall characters that were around at the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’ve seen this before, and it’s still so weird to me yo see Beerus (a relatively new character) in an n64 game. I know it’s a rom hack made years later, but it kind of breaks my immersion, you know? Like, if I were making it I would have stuck to DragonBall characters that were around at the time.
To be honest, only Mr. Satan would work as a replacement. He kind of fits Donkey Kong, being the strongest non-Saiyan(without powers) in the world.

But I get it. It's meant to cover all of DBZ.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
To be honest, only Mr. Satan would work as a replacement. He kind of fits Donkey Kong, being the strongest non-Saiyan(without powers) in the world.

But I get it. It's meant to cover all of DBZ.
I’d argue for majin buu. He’d be a heavyweight like dk and also to complete the main Z villain group.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I made another Mario Maker course
CR3-X7T-F3G
This one stars the Frog Suit in a (not very long) water level.

Check it out!
Will try out even though I just wake up lol.

I let you know what I think once I'm done.

EDit: Just finished it, and I can say, that's a GOOD ASS Water level, short but sweet & I love the theme, good job man.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
a reminder for you people...
E9D13E8A-70DA-4D61-B49E-A21C0434BEDF.jpeg

Status