• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
When I saw Corrin in the everyone is here trailer I shouted “**** you Corrin!” in my car in the grocery store parking lot. And I never hated Terry or Hero to begin with.

Even if I stop being actively mad at Byleth, I will never like him. And I will never be happy he’s here. Just like how I hate Corrin. It’s not because he’s an anime swordsman or a literal Sho. It’s because he’s a Fire Emblem character.
That's perfectly fine. You're not acting like a colossal $@#%bag about the whole thing, so you're free to say as you please.
Also, I primarily put Terry and Eleven there due to the reactions when they were revealed (I now realize that they were lukewarm at best). Think of them as sticking around to support new members of the club.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
God which is it! Have they not started at all or is fighter 6 close to being revealed?!? Please boards be blooming consistent!

Also, remember. They said “by February 2020” not “in February 2020”. So “by december 2021” doesn’t mean it will be finished IN December 2021. In the timespan that exists in December 2021, the pass will be finished. But that doesn’t mean it won’t also be finished in November or September or August either.
Byleth's only a few days before February, late November wouldn't shock me for Pass 2 and that's still nearly 2 years of this.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
we really gonna be here for another 2 years, huh?
The most dreaded part of it all, not looking forward to 2 more years of the obnoxiously vocal minority complaining a character was added because they don't understand the significance and/or relevance that character has
This is just Corrin 2.0.

- New FE rep to promote new game

- Actually unique from the others

- Male/Female alts

- Fans absolutely livid that another FE character was added as DLC

Only difference is that Byleth is 100× better than Corrin in terms of character and also is more unique but I guess that doesn't matter.
Actually, i don't really think wave 4 of the DLC has much of do with Byleth being added. FE fans have known about the story expansion for over a year now, I highly doubt Byleth in smash will change sales numbers besides a small spike in the next month or so.

Anyway Byleth is a great addition and adds much needed 3 houses content to the game. People can't keep pretending the series is obscure as it was when Ike was added.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Honestly this is the truth, how can you not be satisfied by at least one character?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
we really gonna be here for another 2 years, huh?
I ain't speculating for two more years lol. Especially if it's gonna stay as unfortunately toxic as it is right now.

I'll be here to occasionally chat and to play Smash with people, but as for speculation? Eeeeeehhhhhh maybe I'll take part in it for the first and second character, but I'm probably taking my leave and will retire from hardcore speculating for the most part.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
What is the stage like, can it be legal? Counter pick? Starter? What is it?
Banned
And there’s plenty just like h im that would follow him for that reason
Real shame too. No reason his post should be the most liked under Sakurai's tweet, as it just adds to the culture of toxicity.

Even worse is that people like Haedox defend him for that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I’m not upset because I didn’t get what I wanted in Smash. If I had some other game, or some movie or tv show, some toy, heck even a boyfriend/girlfriend then I wouldn’t care nearly as much. But it feels like I have nothing. Nothing to get excited for. Nothing to get me out of bed in the morning. Nothing to make me feel better. And a constant feeling of being left alone while everyone else moves on. That’s why I cried. That’s why I’m upset.
All of those things are things you have to get out and search and find for yourself. You can't expect them to come to you in your bed.

Experiment with new things and new people, and you will find something.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Byleth seems... slightly interesting. We'll see.

Shyy_Guy595 Shyy_Guy595 I like how Fox McCloud is hugging a snowman in your profile pic. Looks neat.
Thanks! I was looking everywhere for a winter-themed Star Fox pic and I'm so glad I found this cause it's really cute.

That snowman is modeled after his dad, btw. Increases how sweet it is.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I ain't speculating for two more years lol. Especially if it's gonna stay as unfortunately toxic as it is right now.

I'll be here to occasionally chat and to play Smash with people, but as for speculation? Eeeeeehhhhhh maybe I'll take part in it for the first and second character, but I'm probably taking my leave and will retire from hardcore speculating for the most part.
Eh, they'll all shut up when the next character is revealed because its gonna be someone big enough to drum up hype.

Nintendo isn't stupid, they know the fighters pass sold in pre sales massively after Joker. They'll do the same again to make that money.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Eh, they'll all shut up when the next character is revealed because its gonna be someone big enough to drum up hype.

Nintendo isn't stupid, they know the fighters pass sold in pre sales massively after Joker. They'll do the same again to make that money.
I mean, I dunno, maybe I'll stay around the speculation scene? I just feel conflicted about that side of Smash right now.

I just hope Sakurai and the team don't get demoralized by this. People being maaaad salty and immature, and it's unfortunate.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
All of those things are things you have to get out and search and find for yourself. You can't expect them to come to you in your bed.

Experiment with new things and new people, and you will find something.
Yep. This goes for me, too. I wake up and normally just go about and do my own thing, whether it be writing, drawing, or wasting time playing games, I find my own motivation. It's the healthiest way to live an active life.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is there any sort of free game development program?
Mugen or Game Maker might work, depending on what type of game you're trying to make. (Mugen is almost entirely for fighting games, though I believe that the first level of Super Mario Bros. has been recreated in it)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Hopefully in the big first quarter direct. The one that will hopefully come in February. I have doubts about us getting any more presentations till then.

In the mean time, I’m gonna play 8-player Smash as Banjo and just spend hours launching fire emblem characters through the wall in KoF Stadium.

BatCrab

Smash Rookie
Unlike Fates, Three Houses is actually unanimously considered a good game

Oh come on now Three Houses is a Fire Emblem title. The games are too disparate in approach and the fandom too opinionated for any instalment to ever be considered 'unanimously' good or bad.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
When I saw Corrin in the everyone is here trailer I shouted “**** you Corrin!” in my car in the grocery store parking lot. And I never hated Terry or Hero to begin with.

Even if I stop being actively mad at Byleth, I will never like him. And I will never be happy he’s here. Just like how I hate Corrin. It’s not because he’s an anime swordsman or a literal Sho. It’s because he’s a Fire Emblem character.
You dislike Fire Emblem because why?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Mugen or Game Maker might work, depending on what type of game you're trying to make. (Mugen is almost entirely for fighting games, though I believe that the first level of Super Mario Bros. has been recreated in it)
I know I can’t do anything 3D, nore should I try for my first attempt. I want to do a Platformer or a beat em up. 2D. Side-Scrolling. That kind of thing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know I can’t do anything 3D, nore should I try for my first attempt. I want to do a Platformer or a beat em up. 2D. Side-Scrolling. That kind of thing.
I want to say there's something called Open Beats of Rage (not 100% sure of the full name, but I'm pretty sure it's shortened to OpenBoR) that lets you make side-scrolling beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Not sure how complicated it is to use, though.

Also, Game Maker works for 2D platformers.

Last edited:

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
I saw no one replying to this so I'll go.

So first, Byleth is a professor at this war-tactics university, Garreg Mach. Recently, terrorists have been attacking the university and plan to kill the closest thing to Jesus in this game's world, the Pope. Byleth eventually encounters the leader of this organization, but falls into a trap where he becomes stuck in eternal darkness. I'd imagine it's similar to getting sucked into a black hole.

Who is Sothis? Basically, she's this dragon girl who is stuck inside Byleth's head and she has amnesia. Her gimmick is time powers, which is shockingly not in Byleth's moveset. If Byleth gets his ass kicked in battle, Sothis will rewind time. This is why Byleth shows up in her chamber/his head when he's trapped in darkness or getting beat by anime swordsmen.

To put it bluntly, this is all a straight rip of a cutscene from Three Houses until Sothis reveals the Smash letter.

Switching gender is not something you can do in Three Houses, nor does Byleth actually have access to all three legendary weapons in a single route. It's just fanservice and tongue-in-cheek callouts.
Oh now I understand. Sothis rewinded time before they went into Smash so they could grab the weapons first.
So Byleth is the protagonist right? I didn't assume a professor to be playable.

I don't understand the hate. Nintendo is making a game with a global playerbase, so why are people getting angry that one new character is mainly for weebs and Eastern players? Imagine if Japanese people got angry that Banjo got added. It makes no sense. And if course we have anime sword fighters in Smash, this is a fighting game where agility and range are important, of course they are the perfect fit.

D

Deleted member

Here's my "Not-Gonna-Happen" Wishlist
Wishlist Pass 2.png

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh now I understand. Sothis rewinded time before they went into Smash so they could grab the weapons first.
So Byleth is the protagonist right? I didn't assume a professor to be playable.

I don't understand the hate. Nintendo is making a game with a global playerbase, so why are people getting angry that one new character is mainly for weebs and Eastern players? Imagine if Japanese people got angry that Banjo got added. It makes no sense. And if course we have anime sword fighters in Smash, this is a fighting game where agility and range are important, of course they are the perfect fit.
Yes you get to teach lessons as Byleth to enhance stats while also fighting alongside the students in battles

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A)Persona and Dragon Quest are too
B) So does Zelda
C) So does Zelda
D) Two of those are echoes, so it has six technically which uh
so does Zelda
I like the world of Persona but have never played it because I wouldn’t like the gameplay. I wouldn’t have much, if any, fun. And I’m not into Zelda either. In fact, when Breath of the Wild was new I was really mad at it for doing well for a good while. And that didn’t change because I started liking it, it changed because I decided not to put the energy into thinking about it.

Fair point about Echoes I guess. But it still feels like too many. They all just feel so similar. They all have such similar aesthetics that no matter how differently they actually play, they’re gonna feel samey. Like Shotos in Street Fighter.
They're fine as long as the story gives a reason for it, in my opinion.
To me, it feels like the developers are just being lazy. Reducing the ammount of characters they have to write for and the complexity of a narrative they can tell (how complex of a story can you tell about a character with no thoughts or emotions). At least with Crash Bandicoot he still makes noises. He emotes. He laughs. He grunts. He’s so expressive. He just physically can’t talk.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I like the world of Persona but have never played it because I wouldn’t like the gameplay. I wouldn’t have much, if any, fun. And I’m not into Zelda either. In fact, when Breath of the Wild was new I was really mad at it for doing well for a good while. And that didn’t change because I started liking it, it changed because I decided not to put the energy into thinking about it.

Fair point about Echoes I guess. But it still feels like too many. They all just feel so similar. They all have such similar aesthetics that no matter how differently they actually play, they’re gonna feel samey. Like Shotos in Street Fighter.
I have to disagree about them all looking similar, I literally can't imagine someone getting Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, and Corrin confused. They're all very different aesthetically.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Is it bad to say that since Melee we always had an anticlimactic end off character(s) at the end with each Smash game? I dunno why but that's what's been on my mind for so long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom