• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
I have to disagree about them all looking similar, I literally can't imagine someone getting Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, and Corrin confused. They're all very different aesthetically.
Their hair and weapon are similar and people ignore everything else...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll probably main Byleth with Claude skin. Using the Heroes' Relics is interesting design, and the jab at people whining about anime swordsmen is perfect.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'll probably main Byleth with Claude skin. Using the Heroes' Relics is interesting design, and the jab at people whining about anime swordsmen is perfect.
To me, it's like when Duke Nukem Forever made a joke about bad Pipe Puzzles, and then still made you do an outdated pipe puzzle.

To quote the forever problematic Mysterious Mr. Enter "What I'm doing is wrong, I know it's wrong, but I'm gonna do it anyway!"

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
To me, it's like when Duke Nukem Forever made a joke about bad Pipe Puzzles, and then still made you do an outdated pipe puzzle.

To quote the forever problematic Mysterious Mr. Enter "What I'm doing is wrong, I know it's wrong, but I'm gonna do it anyway!"
*Implying that adding a character is in any way objectively wrong.

We really gonna do this today, huh.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"What I'm doing is wrong, I know it's wrong, but I'm gonna do it anyway!"
This lady really said Byleth was an objectively wrong decision.

Sothis goes "Too many swordsmen, huh?" and proceeds to give Byleth unique weapons. Did you not watch the trailer?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

It's not a mistake just because you don't like the character.

D

Deleted member

Can't believe this Nintendo fighting game is using Nintendo characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm sorry, did you want Byleth to start being a martial artist? :nifty:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This lady really said Byleth was an objectively wrong decision.

Sothis goes "Too many swordsmen, huh?" and proceeds to give Byleth unique weapons. Did you not watch the trailer?
Again, the problem isn't "anime swordsmen". The problem is FIRE EMBLEM. Which has been done enough before.

Whatever. This is a fight I can't win. I just have to like something I hate, that's what you want right?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
We got like six more characters and the chances that any of them will be FE when they've already been decided is incredibly slim

If Byleth isn't your cup of tea, it be fine

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm sorry, did you want Byleth to start being a martial artist? :nifty:
I didn't want byleth in the first place! I wanted someone new! From a new world with a new stage and a new gimmick bringing in a new franchise to this massive crossover. Not another Fire Emblem protagonist that will stop being remembered as soon as the next game in the series comes out. No game series should automatically get a new character in Smash just by making a new game. That's cheating.

D

Deleted member

Whatever. This is a fight I can't win. I just have to like something I hate, that's what you want right?
Have some tact next time. You are walking into a thread filled with Fire Emblem fans, and then proceeding to say, "Byleth is an objectively wrong decision." How the **** do you think we're going to respond?

You can have your tastes, but you're not a victim for inciting this ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Again, the problem isn't "anime swordsmen". The problem is FIRE EMBLEM. Which has been done enough before.
A lot of series have been done enough. A lot of series haven't been done well enough, either, Zelda is ****ing malnourished with a decade-long drought of new characters. However, Three Houses is a critically acclaimed mastapiece of a Fire Emblem game.

Not another Fire Emblem protagonist that will stop being remembered as soon as the next game in the series comes out.
Do you know how Fire Emblem games work? Only two games, and two lords, have had direct sequels. :4marth::4myfriends:

No game series should automatically get a new character in Smash just by making a new game. That's cheating.
1579199132067.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We got like six more characters and the chances that any of them will be FE when they've already been decided is incredibly slim

If Byleth isn't your cup of tea, it be fine
Then I wish they gave me any reason to be excited.

With Hero they also revealed Banjo because they knew a lot of people would make a stink about Hero. They covered both ends of the fanbase. But this is basically the same kind of situation and they did the exact opposite of what they should have. Even if it was just a tease with no gameplay and a beta 3D model like the Mewtwo reveal in Smash4, if you gave the people who didn't like Byleth and Fire Emblem something to mull over and get excited about then there would be no outrage, no backlash, nothing. But they didn't. You can't be self-aware of your own community one minute and completely ignorant the next.

Oddball

Smash Lord
A)Persona and Dragon Quest are too
B) So does Zelda
C) So does Zelda
D) Two of those are echoes, so it has six technically which uh
so does Zelda
So you're not counting those characters because they're echos, but still count the two echo Links. Then there's the matter of Ganondorf which is ... debatable.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The real mistake was not making Byleth the most unique class of all:

1579199318723.png

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Why does the series even matter? If the character is unique and fun then that’s it. That’s all that should count and I don’t get when reps let’s series triggers so many people

D

Deleted member

Then I wish they gave me any reason to be excited.

With Hero they also revealed Banjo because they knew a lot of people would make a stink about Hero. They covered both ends of the fanbase. But this is basically the same kind of situation and they did the exact opposite of what they should have. Even if it was just a tease with no gameplay and a beta 3D model like the Mewtwo reveal in Smash4, if you gave the people who didn't like Byleth and Fire Emblem something to mull over and get excited about then there would be no outrage, no backlash, nothing. But they didn't. You can't be self-aware of your own community one minute and completely ignorant the next.
Sakurai literally announced six new fighters are coming. It's a message, "Cool down. We got more along the way." It's also my message to you. Cool down. They got more along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A lot of series have been done enough. A lot of series haven't been done well enough, either, Zelda is ****ing malnourished with a decade-long drought of new characters. However, Three Houses is a critically acclaimed mastapiece of a Fire Emblem game.

Do you know how Fire Emblem games work? Only two games, and two lords, have had direct sequels. :4marth::4myfriends:

View attachment 258084
I've repeatedly said the same thing about Pokemon too. At least Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in the world so it has some sort of other excuse.

And plenty of critically acclaimed masterpieces aren't in smash either. Three Houses is not unique.

Have some tact next time. You are walking into a thread filled with Fire Emblem fans, and then proceeding to say, "Byleth is an objectively wrong decision." How the **** do you think we're going to respond?

You can have your tastes, but you're not a victim for inciting this ****.
Okay. Saying he's objectively wrong was too far. I'll apologize for saying that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I like the world of Persona but have never played it because I wouldn’t like the gameplay. I wouldn’t have much, if any, fun. And I’m not into Zelda either. In fact, when Breath of the Wild was new I was really mad at it for doing well for a good while. And that didn’t change because I started liking it, it changed because I decided not to put the energy into thinking about it.

Fair point about Echoes I guess. But it still feels like too many. They all just feel so similar. They all have such similar aesthetics that no matter how differently they actually play, they’re gonna feel samey. Like Shotos in Street Fighter.

To me, it feels like the developers are just being lazy. Reducing the ammount of characters they have to write for and the complexity of a narrative they can tell (how complex of a story can you tell about a character with no thoughts or emotions). At least with Crash Bandicoot he still makes noises. He emotes. He laughs. He grunts. He’s so expressive. He just physically can’t talk.
The point is
Stop. Getting. Mad. About. Things. You. Won't. Touch.

If you haven't and don't intend to try it, then why devote your time and energy into getting pissed off about something you can't change.

D

Deleted member

The real problem is, how was it too late for Rex and Pyra but not Byleth?
It was probably an either-or decision. That's what I theorize anyways.

Besides, I'll root for them postpass.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna take a not so wild guess on pass number 2.

Master Chief or Steve will be in it.

As of now, Microsoft is the only company without any costumes, aside from Cuphead, and with Cuphead and Sans getting full fledged costumes and such, it would make sense for either of them to recieve one as well.

But they didn't.
And considering that microsoft is best friends with Nintendo, so much so that they allowed Banjo in Smash, it's not out the question to have another Microsoft rep in the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The real problem is, how was it too late for Rex and Pyra but not Byleth?
I don't think it was too late for either. I think there were some shenanigans at play.

Either that or Monolith didn't wanna give Sakurai an early copy of XC2.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai literally announced six new fighters are coming. It's a message, "Cool down. We got more along the way." It's also my message. Cool down. They got more along the way.
I have repeatedly said this over the course of this speculation cycle. You can't get excited for nothing. One of the reasons Byleth stings so much is that I feel like my hype was wasted. I feel like I spent all this time being excited for the possibility of getting a character, not that I necessarily like, but at least one I didn't hate. If I had known it was Byleth I wouldn't have done that and I probably wouldn't be mad now. That's why I want him to do an NRS/SFV style reveal for the next pass. Then I can be excited for who I like and ignore who I don't, without having to gamble away my excitement and energy.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It was probably an either-or decision. That's what I theorize anyways.

Besides, I'll root for them postpass.
I don't think it was too late for either. I think there were some shenanigans at play.

Either that or Monolith didn't wanna give Sakurai an early copy of XC2.
this is probably the case.

I wonder though, he recognized the popularity of the franchise and character, so I wonder if sakurai reserves a slot for Rex this pass

D

Deleted member

I have repeatedly said this over the course of this speculation cycle. You can't get excited for nothing. One of the reasons Byleth stings so much is that I feel like my hype was wasted. I feel like I spent all this time being excited for the possibility of getting a character, not that I necessarily like, but at least one I didn't hate. If I had known it was Byleth I wouldn't have done that and I probably wouldn't be mad now. That's why I want him to do an NRS/SFV style reveal for the next pass. Then I can be excited for who I like and ignore who I don't, without having to gamble away my excitement and energy.
The lesson here is to not get overly excited over some mystery fighter and go focus on something else while you're waiting. This is why Sakurai explicitly states to not buy the whole pass unless you're confident it'll be high quality. Otherwise, you really are setting yourself up for disappointment.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The point is
Stop. Getting. Mad. About. Things. You. Won't. Touch.

If you haven't and don't intend to try it, then why devote your time and energy into getting pissed off about something you can't change.
Because it's popular. And sooner enough it's style is going to infect something I do like. I was blissfully ignoring Dark Souls, just letting it exist and not devoting any of my energy to thinking about it. Then it became popular and infected God of War to the point that it will probably never return to it's roots. I don't want that to happen again. If the things I don't like could just agree to a cease fire and stop trying to infect the things I like and stop preventing franchises with the gameplay styles I like from getting made, then I would stop. But that's not going to stop.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The lesson here is to not get overly excited over some mystery fighter and go focus on something else while you're waiting. This is why Sakurai explicitly states to not buy the whole pass unless you're confident it'll be high quality. Otherwise, you really are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'm gonna go. I refuse to keep going around in circles like this. I'll take what you said under advisement and keep trying to work on turning off my emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom