• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
come to think of it, there aren't that many huge contenders when it comes to The Game Awards GOTY this year

My initial prediction was Death Stranding, but that game ended up becoming super polarizing.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if Ultimate does indeed get nominated (and even possibly win) for overall GOTY. And it also seems like a given for best fighting game. iirc, it does indeed qualify for this year due to being released too late for last year.

And if that is the case, I would most certinally expect fighter 5 to be announced during the show. Also the fact that the show is exactly one year to the day when Ultimate launched
not to mention that the game awards kicked off the dlc as well.
If ultimate is winning I think we definitely get fighter five. They don’t need to win for it to happen though. I think we see fighter five next month then released in January, and a bonus fighter in February or March. Pass two starts in the spring or summer

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wanted to wait until the 5th fighter, but **** it, I'll rank the characters from my most to least favorite (as characters, not Smash fighters). Fighters with separate characters as alts won't be ignored, but they'll be ranked based on which one I like the most (for example, I might not like Bowser Jr. all that much, but Lemmy would boost him up):

:ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultshulk::ultwario::ultbayonetta::ulttoonlink::ultrichter::ultfalcon::ultbanjokazooie::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultridley::ulthero::ultpiranha::ultcharizard::ultsamus::ultbowserjr::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultzss::ultzelda::ultincineroar::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucas::ultrobin::ultlucario::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsquirtle::ultsimon::ultness::ultchrom::ultbowser::ultike::ultisabelle::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultdk::ultdaisy::ultrob::ultinkling::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultdarksamus::ultcorrin::ultpichu::ultlucina::ultsnake::ultdarkpit::ultmario::ultdoc::ultryu::ultken::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultivysaur::ultwiifittrainer::ultlink::ultfalco::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultfox::ultjoker::ultpikachu::ultwolf::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ult_terry::ultsheik::ultmewtwo::ultcloud::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:
Shulk in the top 3?

I'm feeling that.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
If you're anything like me, I hope this venting helped even just a little bit and that you feel better -- hopefully sooner rather than later.
Thank you.

It does help, but it still feels bad. It also doesn't help if you are really lazy and everything one can say and what one wants to do mean nothing if you are too lazy to do it...and it's gotten to the point that it puts me off of things I need to do like getting a drivers license or a job. Add that + someone who is afraid of failure and you have one big losing combo...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean really, I don't think it's as hard if you disqualify all series/characters that have already crossed over into Ultimate. At least for Pick #5.

Games not currently in Smash (in any capacity) that could be pretty "WOAH" for casuals:

Resident Evil
Tekken
Devil May Cry
Ace Attorney
Crash Bandicoot
Overwatch
DOOM

The Witcher
Assassin's Creed
Tomb Raider
Tales of
Nier Automata (not sure about the first game)
Okami
Ninja Gaiden
The Elder Scrolls
Digimon (I doubt this one for game awards, but eh)
Mortal Kombat (REALLY doubt this one in general)
Minecraft
Kingdom Hearts

Narrow those down for a few reasons, and there's a decent chance you can get closer to determining the character. I think there is something to be said about your audience as well, considering the fact that this is in front of casual gamers who will say, "Literally who?" to Geno.

My guess? It's somebody newer or it's somebody that most all casuals would be familiar with. A fighting game event would make more sense or get more of a reaction for Heihachi, for example. As Minecraft is mainly targeted at the younger gamers, TGA doesn't seem like the best venue for that reveal.

Just some thoughts, you know. I think it's fairly likely Smash wins FGOTY, and could follow that up with a reveal. But that's highly situational and would be totally messed up if it didn't win.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wanted to wait until the 5th fighter, but **** it, I'll rank the characters from my most to least favorite (as characters, not Smash fighters). Fighters with separate characters as alts won't be ignored, but they'll be ranked based on which one I like the most (for example, I might not like Bowser Jr. all that much, but Lemmy would boost him up):

:ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultshulk::ultwario::ultbayonetta::ulttoonlink::ultrichter::ultfalcon::ultbanjokazooie::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultridley::ulthero::ultpiranha::ultcharizard::ultsamus::ultbowserjr::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultzss::ultzelda::ultincineroar::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucas::ultrobin::ultlucario::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsquirtle::ultsimon::ultness::ultchrom::ultbowser::ultike::ultisabelle::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultdk::ultdaisy::ultrob::ultinkling::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultdarksamus::ultcorrin::ultpichu::ultlucina::ultsnake::ultdarkpit::ultmario::ultdoc::ultryu::ultken::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultivysaur::ultwiifittrainer::ultlink::ultfalco::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultfox::ultjoker::ultpikachu::ultwolf::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ult_terry::ultsheik::ultmewtwo::ultcloud::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:
Question: You list Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur individually, but how would you rank them as a team? As in, use all three during a match? Or more specifically, :ultpokemontrainer:?

Edit: Wait I misinterpreted the ranking criteria. Can disregard

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
a bit random, but just found out that Felix the Cat is now 100 years old today, with his original cartoon having been released on November 9th, 1919

we're already getting to the point where classic cartoon characters are hitting the century mark, and that's absolutely nuts

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Are there any other Nintendo peripherals or toys that could make an interesting Smash character like what Sakurai did with ROB? Didn't they start out making playing cards or something?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
a bit random, but just found out that today marks the 100th anniversary of Felix the Cat

we're already getting to the point where cartoon characters hitting the century mark, and that's absolutely nuts
Soon they'll begin nearing public domain status (if they haven't already)

And then Disney will fight tooth and nail to stop that from occurring.

It's a true story.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Alright, my opinions on Fighter 5 if its revealed at the Game Awards are:

Dante
Sora
Leon Kennedy
Doomguy

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean really, I don't think it's as hard if you disqualify all series/characters that have already crossed over into Ultimate. At least for Pick #5.

Games not currently in Smash (in any capacity) that could be pretty "WOAH" for casuals:

Resident Evil
Tekken
Devil May Cry
Ace Attorney
Crash Bandicoot
Overwatch
DOOM

The Witcher
Assassin's Creed
Tomb Raider
Tales of
Nier Automata (not sure about the first game)
Okami
Ninja Gaiden
The Elder Scrolls
Digimon (I doubt this one for game awards, but eh)
Mortal Kombat (REALLY doubt this one in general)
Minecraft

Narrow those down for a few reasons, and there's a decent chance you can get closer to determining the character. I think there is something to be said about your audience as well, considering the fact that this is in front of casual gamers who will say, "Literally who?" to Geno.

My guess? It's somebody newer or it's somebody that most all casuals would be familiar with. A fighting game event would make more sense or get more of a reaction for Heihachi, for example. As Minecraft is mainly targeted at the younger gamers, TGA doesn't seem like the best venue for that reveal.

Just some thoughts, you know.
I don't know about you, but what if Fighter 5 was not any of those franchises? Wouldn't it be more surprising?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Soon they'll begin nearing public domain status (if they haven't already)

And then Disney will fight tooth and nail to stop that from occurring.

It's a true story.
Disney's been abusing copyright law for years now

I love the Mouse House more than most, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find any of their practices even a little questionable

though what would you expect from a billion dollar company?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Are there any other Nintendo peripherals or toys that could make an interesting Smash character like what Sakurai did with ROB? Didn't they start out making playing cards or something?
If they wanted to make a character that focused around real world Nintendo peripherals and paraphernalia, I think 9-Volt from WarioWare would be the best option.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know about you, but what if Fighter 5 was not any of those franchises? Wouldn't it be more surprising?
Surprising to us, maybe.

But being "Surprising" doesn't always mean it's "good". If every pick from here on out was a "Surprise" then we'd be missing out on some of the best of the best gaming franchises of all time. If Smash is this grand "celebration of gaming" why should every reveal be a surprise and not add one of the greatest at least once in awhile?

Half the reason the DLC to this point wasn't a surprise was because of leaks.

Let's also be honest. A surprise to us, the hardcore Smash fanbase that nitpicks literally everything related to the game, is not nearly the same thing as a surprise to the general gaming audience.

Pick almost any franchise from that list, and casual gamers (aka the crowd that will be mainly focused on the TGA and greatly outnumbers Smash fans watching) would freak the **** out.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Surprising to us, maybe.

But being "Surprising" isn't always mean it's good. If every pick from here on out was a "Surprise" then we'd be missing out on some of the best of the best gaming franchises of all time. If Smash is this grand "celebration of gaming" why should every reveal be a surprise?

Half the reason the DLC to this point wasn't a surprise was because of leaks.

Let's also be honest. A surprise to us, the hardcore Smash fanbase that nitpicks literally everything related to the game, is not nearly the same thing as a surprise to the general gaming audience.

Pick almost any franchise from that list, and casual gamers would freak the **** out.
I see. As for me, I want to see a character that is NOT of any of the franchises you listed. I would find a character from those franchises you listed to be too predictable, and I want to see how Sakurai handles characters not from big name franchises.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I see. As for me, I want to see a character that is NOT of any of the franchises you listed. I would find a character from those franchises you listed to be too predictable, and I want to see how Sakurai handles characters not from big name franchises.
Didn't he technically already do that with Joker, Banjo-Kazooie, and Terry?

The biggest series we have in DLC so far is Dragon Quest. The other 3 are on the lower end profit-wise. In that sense, he's already shown what he can do with smaller series.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Didn't he technically already do that with Joker, Banjo-Kazooie, and Terry?

The biggest series we have in DLC so far is Dragon Quest. The other 3 are on the lower end profit-wise. In that sense, he's already shown what he can do with smaller series.
Maybe, but I still want to see more characters non-big name series get it. It would be fun for me.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Speaking of guidances, it's such a missed opportunity that we couldn't have Futaba talk about fighters when Joker does the taunt trick on Mementos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom