• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Let me guess... another one of these Hunger Game things?
Nah, see, it might sound surprising to some folks...but I actually...*gasp*... play Smash Bros.

I know, surprising.

/s

Don't kill me it's an inside joke.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe, but I still want to see more characters non-big name series get it. It would be fun for me.
soo, obscure games?

MY SHILLING DREAM IS COMING TRUE, BABY! TIME TO WATCH THE INTERNET EXPLODE!
if you seriously can't tell, I'm joking

D

Deleted member

Do not mind me, kids. I am just going to leave a little something related to my favorite meme.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Be honest. Did this give y'all a few laughs tonight? :yoshi:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
soo, obscure games?

MY SHILLING DREAM IS COMING TRUE, BABY! TIME TO WATCH THE INTERNET EXPLODE!
if you seriously can't tell, I'm joking
Joke or not, I think that overdoing it with the shilling of your favorite series can drive people to start disliking it.

D

Deleted member

Like I said, not that small. Maybe smaller than big name, but not small to the point of obscure.
Well, the joke is I (jokingly) want a character from this obscure card game(COUGH) in, just to watch the internet explode from all the people going "who the ****ing hell is this?"

D

Deleted member

Joke or not, I think that overdoing it with the shilling of your favorite series can drive people to start disliking it.
That's fair enough, although if I had to say anything regarding how I shill:

I'm never, ever going to shill just because I want more people to play this game(although that is a big part of it).
I often use it comedically!(see the recent Hunger games stuff)
But I do highly recommend the game, it's one of my favorite tcgs(and I've played alot, around 2-3 others)

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gamefreak really love undertale and were very excited when Toby asked if he could compise
Music for them:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean really, I don't think it's as hard if you disqualify all series/characters that have already crossed over into Ultimate. At least for Pick #5.

Games not currently in Smash (in any capacity) that could be pretty "WOAH" for casuals:

Resident Evil
Tekken
Devil May Cry
Ace Attorney
Crash Bandicoot
Overwatch
DOOM

The Witcher
Assassin's Creed
Tomb Raider
Tales of
Nier Automata (not sure about the first game)
Okami
Ninja Gaiden
The Elder Scrolls
Digimon (I doubt this one for game awards, but eh)
Mortal Kombat (REALLY doubt this one in general)
Minecraft
Kingdom Hearts

Narrow those down for a few reasons, and there's a decent chance you can get closer to determining the character. I think there is something to be said about your audience as well, considering the fact that this is in front of casual gamers who will say, "Literally who?" to Geno.

My guess? It's somebody newer or it's somebody that most all casuals would be familiar with. A fighting game event would make more sense or get more of a reaction for Heihachi, for example. As Minecraft is mainly targeted at the younger gamers, TGA doesn't seem like the best venue for that reveal.

Just some thoughts, you know. I think it's fairly likely Smash wins FGOTY, and could follow that up with a reveal. But that's highly situational and would be totally messed up if it didn't win.
Okami's fairly obscure, though it is a cult classic. I think you could potentially include Soul Calibur in that list as well, since we're being fair here, despite my preference for Tekken. I could say the same for Spyro, who's on par with the seemingly de-confirmed Crash. There's also Layton, but that's less well known than Ace Attorney.

Also the Witcher started out as a book series, so it likely can't be added to Smash.

I can follow along with the train of thought that the next character will be someone who is familiar to the casual audience be it a newer character, or a longer standing icon that little Timmy might actually know of, which would make sense IF the character is shown off for the first time at the Game Awards. Though if we can't skew too young, that's when guessing in such a way gets a little tricky. Granted Sakurai even stated being new, old or popular aren't major criteria so long as the character is fun, but we could all argue each character we want can accomplish that, and that's not even getting into what playstyles each user here may or may not like.

Tekken and MK are pretty well known, MK especially as kids love watching violence they aren't supposed to. So I don't think it'd be as obscure or weird to the general audience as you're letting on. Though I agree with the notion any FG character that isn't from Street Fighter would be more accepted with an FGC event for their reveal. Both are more well known than the Tales Of series I feel. Lara Croft I still say is kind of slept on. Like a lot of the other 3rd parties, she's a 90's icon so I don't see how she couldn't work, hell she's still fairly relevant too. I guess that had to do with her being a western character with fairly normal abilities, so she might seem bland. RE could obviously take Jill and use her MVC2 moveset as a base as it'd still be rating friendly enough, or require very little changes. Assassin's Creed might also be slept on.

And Kingdom Hearts is a licencing nightmare. BUT if it happened, plenty of people would pop-off.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
My favorite thing about smash discussions is when someone does "Characters who are likely next" list and proceed to get owned when the next character reveal is none of those they listed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okami's fairly obscure, though it is a cult classic. I think you could potentially include Soul Calibur in that list as well, since we're being fair here, despite my preference for Tekken. I could say the same for Spyro, who's on par with the seemingly de-confirmed Crash. There's also Layton, but that's less well known than Ace Attorney.

Also the Witcher started out as a book series, so it likely can't be added to Smash.

I can follow along with the train of thought that the next character will be someone who is familiar to the casual audience be it a newer character, or a longer standing icon that little Timmy might actually know of, which would make sense IF the character is shown off for the first time at the Game Awards. Though if we can't skew too young, that's when guessing in such a way gets a little tricky. Granted Sakurai even stated being new, old or popular aren't major criteria so long as the character is fun, but we could all argue each character we want can accomplish that, and that's not even getting into what playstyles each user here may or may not like.

Tekken and MK are pretty well known, MK especially as kids love watching violence they aren't supposed to. So I don't think it'd be as obscure or weird to the general audience as you're letting on. Though I agree with the notion any FG character that isn't from Street Fighter would be more accepted with an FGC event for their reveal. Both are more well known than the Tales Of series I feel. Lara Croft I still say is kind of slept on. Like a lot of the other 3rd parties, she's a 90's icon so I don't see how she couldn't work, hell she's still fairly relevant too. I guess that had to do with her being a western character with fairly normal abilities, so she might seem bland. RE could obviously take Jill and use her MVC2 moveset as a base as it'd still be rating friendly enough, or require very little changes. Assassin's Creed might also be slept on.

And Kingdom Hearts is a licencing nightmare. BUT if it happened, plenty of people would pop-off.
All quite true. There's a few reasons I didn't include certain picks that I didn't clarify, but I can do that now.

Spyro evidently bombed in Japan, so I don't quite seem him as likely for Smash. The Witcher, I think, is in a weird situation, though I must agree that its origins very likely bring that into question. Mortal Kombat is incredibly minor in Japan, so I frankly just don't think it'll be in Smash.

Layton seems like a character that would be more of-interest for the Smash community, and I would honestly argue that Phoenix Wright is more of a Nintendo audience pick. Not to say hardcore gamers or casuals wouldn't care about him, but he got his start, and maintains his fanbase from Nintendo players. To me, he'd be better revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Mostly agreed here.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
All quite true. There's a few reasons I didn't include certain picks that I didn't clarify, but I can do that now.

Spyro evidently bombed in Japan, so I don't quite seem him as likely for Smash. The Witcher, I think, is in a weird situation, though I must agree that its origins very likely bring that into question. Mortal Kombat is incredibly minor in Japan, so I frankly just don't think it'll be in Smash.

Layton seems like a character that would be more of-interest for the Smash community, and I would honestly argue that Phoenix Wright is more of a Nintendo audience pick. Not to say hardcore gamers or casuals wouldn't care about him, but he got his start, and maintains his fanbase from Nintendo players. To me, he'd be better revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Mostly agreed here.
I still maintain that popularity in Japan is not the end-all be-all of who can and can't be in Smash. He's clearly thinking more globally with who he picks (Hero for Japan, Banjo for America and Britain, Terry for Latin America and China). So I see no reason why Spyro and Scorpion wouldn't be just as eligible.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I do wonder how much of the "new worlds" statement should we take to heart. Because some franchises have "multiple worlds" without needing to get into an entire franchise. The various worlds in Final Fantasy, if they wanted Terra or something. Same goes for the Xenoblade games for the most part. The timelines and time skips in Mega Man. Paper Mario could count kind of. Even the different Continents in Fire Emblem, although that one would no doubt have the most mixed reception.

I'm still going in expecting different franchises as a whole, but the definitions of new world could be stretched a little bit. But just a little bit.

Boy I hope I hadn't done that. I genuinely want to gather support, but my shilling is mostly ****posts. Though I'm sure I did that for one or two people.

My favorite thing about smash discussions is when someone does "Characters who are likely next" list and proceed to get owned when the next character reveal is none of those they listed.
Our hero Terrance would agree. Which is why #5 will be Goemon even though he's already a Mii Costume.

D

Deleted member

I don't really understand the reference, is it Jojo? Haven't seen it.

But that text really needs a drop shadow.
*sigh* Me neither. I thought it was something nice, but it appears I have once again wasted my time posting something vague and unfunny to y'all.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Mostly agreed here.
Sure, MK/Spyro isn't popular in Japan, but it's not like a series needs to popular there to gain characters. Metroid managed to get more than just Samus and Samus because of USA/EU fans. Terry's the hero of Latin America/China. And MK's worldwide appeal is one of the top 3 fighting franchises in terms of sales(Smash and Tekken I think are the other 2, while SF has the most influence on the others.)

That said, the lack of Japanese appeal still likely hinders their chances, but I won't count it out. Especially since we've seen Scorpion and Sub-Zero work in T-Rated situations with the Injustice titles. Heck and if they use the classic MK1-MK3 looks and animation style, they'd practically be cartoon characters. Granted that last bit is merely guess work on top of guess work.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't see the problem. I post a list of potential picks, if i'm wrong, cool.

I wouldn't really call it "getting owned". It's not like I'm saying, "You guys are dumb for wanting those characters. THESE are the ones getting in!"

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Anyone know if the daemon x machina spirits are available right now? I’m missing a total of two spirits and one of them is from that event.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see the problem. I post a list of potential picks, if i'm wrong, cool.

I wouldn't really call it "getting owned". It's not like I'm saying, "You guys are dumb for wanting those characters. THESE are the ones getting in!"
The one thing that's always rubbed me the wrong way about Smash speculation is the culture of salt revelry and proving other people wrong. Maybe I'm just too empathetic for my own good but it's always struck me as very mean spirited.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If our existing third party franchises were to get an additional unique fighter, who would you go with? I know who I would. (Not necessarily in this game, as some of them would need to be upgraded from Assist Trophy status).
  • Metal Gear: Raiden (Metal Gear's only playable protagonist who wouldn't be a Snake clone)
  • Sonic: Tails and Dr. Eggman (Bayonetta gave away her second slot to Sonic because she didn't have anyone it would work for. Knuckles would be here too honestly)
  • Mega Man: Zero (the 2nd most popular Mega Man character, morose than X I would say)
  • Pac-Man: Honestly, the only way to make this one work is to reclassify him as a "Namco Retro Arcade" character and add in Dig Dug, otherwise there is not real candidate for this.
  • Street Fighter: Chun-Li (duh)
  • Final Fantasy: Terra Branford (6 is one of the most popular Final Fantasy's and is the last one that was a Nintendo exclusive, and I'd rather treat Final Fantasy like Fire Emblem, using the various protagonists rather than individual characters from the same game).
  • Castlevania: Alucard (again, duh)
  • Persona: Probably Yu Narukami (again, treating it like Fire Emblem. Plus... Yu is the only real choice due to Persona 1 and 2 not existing and the Persona 3 characters having... complications)
  • Dragon Quest: Can't really treat this one like Fire Emblem considering Hero. Honestly, you's probably go with one of DQ's memorable villains like Dragonlord or Psarvo.
  • Banjo-Kazooie: As a huge Banjo fan who would LOVE to play as Gruntilda or Mumbo Jumbo, I acknowledge that it doesn't really need a 2nd player character the same way Bayonetta doesn't).
  • Fatal Fury: Mai Shiranui (some people have pointed out that Mai could potentially be made okay for CERO the way he did Bayonetta and ZSS, but that Sakurai didn't feel like putting forth the effort for a background element. But a playable character.... that's a different story. And if not.... Andy? Joe? Can we streatch it to KoF and do Kyo?).

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If our existing third party franchises were to get an additional unique fighter, who would you go with? I know who I would. (Not necessarily in this game, as some of them would need to be upgraded from Assist Trophy status).
  • Metal Gear: Raiden (Metal Gear's only playable protagonist who wouldn't be a Snake clone)
  • Sonic: Tails and Dr. Eggman (Bayonetta gave away her second slot to Sonic because she didn't have anyone it would work for. Knuckles would be here too honestly)
  • Mega Man: Zero (the 2nd most popular Mega Man character, morose than X I would say)
  • Pac-Man: Honestly, the only way to make this one work is to reclassify him as a "Namco Retro Arcade" character and add in Dig Dug, otherwise there is not real candidate for this.
  • Final Fantasy: Terra Branford (6 is one of the most popular Final Fantasy's and is the last one that was a Nintendo exclusive, and I'd rather treat Final Fantasy like Fire Emblem, using the various protagonists rather than individual characters from the same game).
  • Persona: Probably Yu Narukami (again, treating it like Fire Emblem. Plus... Yu is the only real choice due to Persona 1 and 2 not existing and the Persona 3 characters having... complications)
  • Dragon Quest: Can't really treat this one like Fire Emblem considering Hero. Honestly, you's probably go with one of DQ's memorable villains like Dragonlord or Psarvo.
  • Banjo-Kazooie: As a huge Banjo fan who would LOVE to play as Gruntilda or Mumbo Jumbo, I acknowledge that it doesn't really need a 2nd player character the same way Bayonetta doesn't).
  • Fatal Fury: Mai Shiranui (some people have pointed out that Mai could potentially be made okay for CERO the way he did Bayonetta and ZSS, but that Sakurai didn't feel like putting forth the effort for a background element. But a playable character.... that's a different story. And if not.... Andy? Joe? Can we streatch it to KoF and do Kyo?).
  • Sonic: Dr Eggman or Blaze the Cat
  • Metal Gear: Raiden
  • Mega Man: X or Zero
  • Street Fighter: Chun-li or Ibuki
  • Final Fantasy: Cecil Harvey or Tifa Lockhart
  • Bayonetta: Jeanne
  • Castlevania: Alucard
  • Persona: Morgana or Goro Akechi
  • Dragon Quest: Jessica
  • Fatal Fury: Rock Howard
I didn't know who else to choose for Pac Man or Banjo.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
  • Sonic: Dr Eggman or Blaze the Cat
  • Metal Gear: Raiden
  • Mega Man: X or Zero
  • Street Fighter: Chun-li or Ibuki
  • Final Fantasy: Cecil Harvey or Tifa Lockhart
  • Bayonetta: Jeanne
  • Castlevania: Alucard
  • Persona: Morgana or Goro Akechi
  • Dragon Quest: Jessica
  • Fatal Fury: Rock Howard
I didn't know who else to choose for Pac Man or Banjo.
I forgot about Rock. It probably would be him if Mai can't be made to work.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Third parties? Ok.
Sonic: Eggman or Tails
Mega Man: Dr Wily
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Street fighter: Chun-Li
Metal gear: Raiden
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Castlevania: Alucard
Persona: Not sure
Dragon quest: Slime
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Geese?

Edit: Oh heck I forgot final fantasy. Definitely Sephiroth

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's mine.
Metal Gear: Liquid

Sonic: Dr. Eggman

Mega Man: Bounce Man (Mega Man 11)

Pac-Man: Ghosts

Street Fighter: Chun-Li

Final Fantasy: Vivi

Bayonetta: Jeanne

Castlevania: Death

Persona: Morgana

Dragon Quest: Slime

Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda

Fatal Fury: Mai (Cover her up with clothes.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom