• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
The best thing about Terry is all his moves arent connected to complex inputs and can use most of them normaly
The Smash team is great at making movesets that are traditionally complicated easier for the layman, which I'm all for in this case. He feels even better to use if you know what you're doing, but even if you don't I reckon he's still crazy fun

So given Sakurai's statement for why Mai couldn't be a cameo. Could the same apply to the possibility of violence in Smash?

If so this might hinder Doom Slayer's and Scorpion's chances. What are you thoughts on this or would this be different?
I don't think it would hinder Doomguy (or, crack pick: Madworld rep), but it might for Scorpion. Scorpion is intrinsically tied to gore, taking that away from him feels like betraying the character.

Not that it can't be done, considering Injustice, but still, feels like too much of a part of him to leave out

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai recommended KOF 95’ and 98’ so clearly he has good taste in videogames.

I appreciate the Iori love. Note that Iori first appeared in 1995 though, meaning that Sakurai was 25 years old when he thought Iori’s character design was genius. Want you to think about that for a minute.

(Also hi @punished faygo)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Any Maxamillion Dood fans here? I wanna know why he hates Andy Bogard so much.

YAY! Noipoi stays!
Andy's generally just a lot more boring than his older brother. He's not as energetic, his hair style's lamer(not having cool bangs). So compared to the fun-loving Terry and Joe, he's not loved as his other teammates. And Max probably exaggerates his dislike for Andy for comedy's sake.

Though I like Ryu a lot, but some people see him as boring. I dig his respectful attitude, and how he pushes others like Sakura and Rashid to be stronger fighters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't wait to see people playing Terry at EVO - some of the combos are going to be downright insane.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Alright, alright, ya got me. I thought it over and I won’t delete my account.

Jeez...
Apologies for all the hassle, admittedly some of us got carried away, but this was a big thing to just spring upon us.

Maybe this doesn’t relate to much but I just wanted to say that if you ever need to talk to us about anything, I know many of us would’ve willing to hear you out. If you ever feel the need to leave for a certain period of time for any reason at all, go ahead and take it. Don’t feel pressured by us to stick around for our sake, do whatever you need to take care of yourself.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So given Sakurai's statement for why Mai couldn't be a cameo. Could the same apply to the possibility of violence in Smash?

If so this might hinder Doom Slayer's and Scorpion's chances. What are you thoughts on this or would this be different?
Consider, Bayonetta.

It's not just the fact that Mai is skantilly clad, it's that she stands in a position where they hang, swing, and jiggle like nobodies business. Nobody was expecting for DoomSlayer or Scorpion to actually be cutting or tearing people apart. And their move sets can easily be done without it. It's just... not applicable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Mai would’ve been fine if Sakurai gave her shorts. CERO also caused him to tone down Joker, Bayonetta, etc. and I doubt they’ll take some moral stance against DOOM in Smash and would just require Sakurai to remove the blood and viscera.
Consider, Bayonetta.

It's not just the fact that Mai is skantilly clad, it's that she stands in a position where they hang, swing, and jiggle like nobodies business. Nobody was expecting for DoomSlayer or Scorpion to actually be cutting or tearing people apart. And their move sets can easily be done without it. It's just... not applicable.
Yeah but people are always making arguments why Doom Slayer is an exception and what makes him Doom Slayer is the gore...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah but people are always making arguments why Doom Slayer is an exception and what makes him Doom Slayer is the gore...
Doesn’t he only use guns in his original game, and not the bloodier weapons, even if the demons are bloody? I’m sure he’d be fine, anyway.
Joker does a gruesome thing to himself to summon his persona from what I’ve learned in earlier arguments, basically suicide for a moment.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think it would hinder Doomguy (or, crack pick: Madworld rep), but it might for Scorpion. Scorpion is intrinsically tied to gore, taking that away from him feels like betraying the character.

Not that it can't be done, considering Injustice, but still, feels like too much of a part of him to leave out
Wouldn't the same be said for Doom Slayer though. Isn't it notorious for its over the top gore like Mortal Kombat though and what makes it Doom like the former?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Smash team is great at making movesets that are traditionally complicated easier for the layman, which I'm all for in this case. He feels even better to use if you know what you're doing, but even if you don't I reckon he's still crazy fun

I mean Scorp/Sub-Z has been in titles like Injustice, so it's not like they need to be gory, and Doom's always had violence in the main titles like MK. I think either choice can be toned down and keep it's spirit. Especially if the MK Ninjas get their goofier MK1-MK3 lighthearted movements and designs.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A desire to escape the stage where I embarrass myself on a daily basis.
When you first came on and admitted to it, you were adamant and fierce about how it wasn't your fault that you were spoiled, ad most everybody here agreed with you. You couldn't have done anything to avoid it. And then one user was an ass about it and now you're feeling like this. Don't let one user do that to you. Nobody thinks any lesser of you for this. You did nothing wrong.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean Scorp/Sub-Z has been in titles like Injustice, so it's not like they need to be gory, and Doom's always had violence in the main titles like MK. I think either choice can be toned down and keep it's spirit. Especially if the MK Ninjas get their goofier MK1-MK3 lighthearted movements and designs.
Bu-but Knight! Injustice is dark and gritty tho!!!! Smash isn't!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
"Super Smash Bros Ultimate is for good boys and girls of many different ages."

Yet he makes Bayonetta a playable character.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Doomslayer? Sure I guess. Doomguy? No. The original Doom game was gory, yes, but none of that gore came from Doomguy himself, it came from the demons. That’s why in multiplayer, where it’s only Doomguy, the gore isn’t really that significant at all. The 2016 game went full Brutal Doom, that’s why people associate it with over-the-top violence.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't the same be said for Doom Slayer though. Isn't it notorious for its over the top gore like Mortal Kombat though and what makes it Doom like the former?
That's only really for the chainsaw, iirc.

Looking at the most recent Mortal Kombat though, everything Scorpion does causes gross bodily harm. That isn't to say they couldn't pull an Injustice and remove it, but that just feels... weird to me.

I'd still totally play Scorp though. He'd be awesome and infuriating with that god damn teleport

D

Deleted member

Ya'll ignoring that Mai would have been a simple background element and it's likely Sakurai just thought it wasn't worth to redesign her just for that. If he hit that roadblack with an actual playable character, he'd find a way to make them work one way or the other because it's not the same situation.

Now stop overreacting.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
To all K. Rool main here, I know they are rare, but listen:

Check out his new nair, fair & Neutral B.

Trust me, you're going to love them.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
If Sakurai really wanted to make doom work, i'm sure he could do it. Though after playing the game a couple times, I see where it may be difficult to work around the tearing people apart thing. Idk, I still hope he's in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doomslayer? Sure I guess. Doomguy? No. The original Doom game was gory, yes, but none of that gore came from Doomguy himself, it came from the demons. That’s why in multiplayer, where it’s only Doomguy, the gore isn’t really that significant at all. The 2016 game went full Brutal Doom, that’s why people associate it with over-the-top violence.
Fair point in that case we can say Doom Slayer's still in the running then unless the Mii leak gets debunked otherwise which its still yet to be.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Mallow and Cacodemon costumes weren’t shown off.

That’s good, means they’ll come when Geno and Doomguy are revealed.
But watch its Heihachi instead at the VGA and we get Geno and Doom Slayer post-Pass. ;P

Meaning we'd have to wait even longer for them both.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
CacoMallow leak is real.

I will die on this hill.

-I’m 100% sure CERO wouldn’t have cared if Sakurai just gave Mai her original design and added decent shorts, but I guess he felt that wouldn’t do justice to her fans or the character’s personality. Doomguy just wants to kill demons and has a soft side, I think he can represent him fine without blood since that’s not integral to personality or whatever.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A desire to escape the stage where I embarrass myself on a daily basis.
Trust me, there's more embarrassing I've seen around here, you're hardly the worst here. And I don't think you do anything messed up. Though I can't tell you how to feel.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
CacoMallow leak is real.

I will die on this hill.

-I’m 100% sure CERO wouldn’t have cared if Sakurai just gave Mai her original design and added shorts, but I guess he felt that wouldn’t do justice to her fans or the character’s personality. Doomguy just wants to kill demons and has a soft side, I think he can represent him fine without blood since that’s not integral to personality or whatever.
I prefer to call it the MallowDemon leak.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sakurai recommended KOF 95’ and 98’ so clearly he has good taste in videogames.

I appreciate the Iori love. Note that Iori first appeared in 1995 though, meaning that Sakurai was 25 years old when he thought Iori’s character design was genius. Want you to think about that for a minute.

(Also hi @punished faygo)
Sakurai had a man crush on Iori at 25 y/o /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom