• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So many more too:

Your Song
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Tiny Dancer
Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Not to mention the entire Lion King soundtrack.

There's a reason he's consistently been known as one of the greatest musical artists ever.
Yeah, I didn't want to make the list too long. Also confession time, I tend to mix up "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" with the nearly identical titled Nik Kershaw song "I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me", at least when it comes to the name, that is.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
What dose that even mean?
Snake was revealed and included in Smash before Sonic, who would have been the most obvious pick back in 2008.

Basically i was trying to never lose hope, but kinda flubbed it :p
Am I being a dolt, or did they just not cover Terry's down special in the presentation?
It's Power Dunk. Shoryuken motion. A rising knee lift, to a downward punch

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Also, can I just point out that I hate when people say "I only listen to video game OSTs"? The vast majotity of music from video games wouldn't exist without other genres of music.

Like the Mario theme? It's based on an older song

Like Grunty's theme? It's based on a pop song from the 70s

Like Earthbound's soundtrack? It's almost entirely musical references.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake was revealed and included in Smash before Sonic, who would have been the most obvious pick back in 2008.

Basically i was trying to never lose hope, but kinda flubbed it :p

It's Power Dunk. Shoryuken motion. A rising knee lift, to a downward punch
I don't know how on earth I missed that until I watched it for the third time.

D

Deleted member

Also, can I just point out that I hate when people say "I only listen to video game OSTs"? The vast majotity of music from video games wouldn't exist without other genres of music.

Like the Mario theme? It's based on an older song

Like Grunty's theme? It's based on a pop song from the 70s

Like Earthbound's soundtrack? It's almost entirely musical references.
Hell, an enemy from Mother 3 uses the Adam West's Batman theme.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I also find it funny how Sakurai talked about guys like Sonic, Terry and Kirby being oldheads, then mentioned Mega Man and Ryu being a few years older than that.

MainJPW

M.T.A
The "COME ON!" club.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Since Terry and Falcon have Japanese actors speaking English (Takashi Kondo and Ryō Horikawa) it would've been more appropriate for Sonic to have his Jun'ichi Kanemaru English on display:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How so? If it’s the too violent thing I’m sure they can tone him down. Bayonetta is very not family friendly and she’s in.
I think the same. I don’t get it. Apparently it’s because games like DOOM are rated Adult but I really don’t see why rating boards and families would care as long as Smash has Doomguy toned down and not as violent. Ridley impales people, Joker’s gun may as well be a real one, and Bayonetta rapid fires with her feet and summons a frickin gigantic demon while still being a bit sexualized. There’s also that one Metal Gear Solid spirit that references something families would not enjoy, nor the rating boards if they actually cared about the mere presence of something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not just as there EDs (of which they used Roundabout, Walk Like an Egyptian, Last Train Home, I Want You, Freek'n You, and Modern Crusaders) but also as the Stand names

Let me tell you, it is WILD to see two characters fight to the death using psychic ghosts named after Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and Queen's "Killer Queen"
Oh yeah, the stand names are common knowledge, it even extends to some characters like Speedwagon and Dio. Though if I'm not mistaken, didn't they have to be changed in the fighting game due to copyright? Like Limp Bizkit becoming Flaccid Pancake? That one always stuck out to me for sounding just hilarious.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I think the same. I don’t get it.
All things considered, it's not like the gore of Doom is as intrinsically tied into Doomguy as the sex appeal is to Mai or the gore is to someone like Scorpion or Sub-Zero.

I think he could have a shot at least, but I'm not personally holding my breath for another Western IP Fighter. I'd like one, but he strikes me as sadly unlikely

Oh yeah, the stand names are common knowledge, it even extends to some characters like Speedwagon and Dio. Though if I'm not mistaken, didn't they have to be changed in the fighting game due to copyright? Like Limp Bizkit becoming Flaccid Pancake? That one always stuck out to me for sounding just hilarious.
Flaccid Pancake is good, but absolutely nothing beats Dirty Deeds Done Cheap's localisations name

Filthy Acts, At A Reasonable Price

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Just came back and watched the direct.

Seeing Sakurai just spend 45 minutes on a SNK history lesson was very satisfying. God knows after the drought before KOF XIV, they need it. Terry looks and animates great, haven’t managed to download him yet. All those cameos and references to other SNK series, even stuff like Athena made me happy.

Also Smash has Rock Howard in it now. That’s the biggest takeaway I had from the entire presentation.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Dunno if anyone has mentioned yet, but Stormy Saxophone is Arashi no Saxophone. Just so you know.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Terry's inputs, maybe I missed it, but does Power Wave really have none?
Flaccid Pancake is good, but absolutely nothing beats Dirty Deeds Done Cheap's localisations name

Filthy Acts, At A Reasonable Price
Did they really go with that meme name? Oh god, that's awesome.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
BRO! There's a lot to talk about now that I saw it. Terry really looks like he'll be one of my favorites like Mega Man, Ridley, Samus/Dark Samus and Ryu/Ken.

1. I was NOT expecting him to give Terry a Back Special for Crack Shoot. That's a first, but I wonder how it'll work in 4 player. Either way, I could just use the Hurricane Kick motion in stead.
2. His Arcade Mode is really cool. I was expecting team Capcom, but Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man as the Hero Team is pretty sick. Not to mention the Ryu/Ken/Terry Team as a final boss.
3. His Final Smash is awesome!
4. Him having Desperation moves was something we should have considered over Max Mode, but I'm glad OG Buster Wolf makes it in.
5. A bit of profound sadness over the lack of Garou Terry, but other wise, his alts are pretty good.
6. RIP Mai, The kids aren't ready for that yet.
7. 50 ****ING MUSIC TRACKS! And you thought Street Fighter, Mega Man and Castlevania got a lot! Well, that's for an entire company, so I guess that's why.
8. BIG SHOT!, Arashi no Saxophone and Soy Sauce for Geese are in, so I'm happy. Arashi no Saxophone even gets a remix.
9. Mega Man X, Mega Man .EXE(but not really, just let me dream) and Heihachi live another day.
10. Some neat Additions added to the online mode.
11. Sakurai being a huge Iori Fanboy is really funny to me. Somehow the guy who made Kirby also likes Edgy Rival dudes.
12. Kirby get's the gloves too!

Either way, Whining Fools Begone. Because Wubba Wubba We're ALL in the pink today BOOOOOOYZ! WE ARE ALL OKAY!
Oh Sakurai is totally a fan of the edgier characters, lol. His favorite Fire Emblem character is Navarre, the guy who started Fire Emblem's edgy myrmidon archetype. :p

Anywho, my god Terry is fun. Power Dunk is so satisfying. Probably already my favorite DLC character to play.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyone else think it's funny how Mai Shiranui couldn't get in Smash as a background character, but a smexy witch who literally strips to attack gets in as a full-fledged playable character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyone else think it's funny how Mai Shiranui couldn't get in Smash as a background character, but a smexy witch who literally strips to attack gets in as a full-fledged playable character.
Oh boy here we go again with the "Exposure" debate...

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Terry's inputs, maybe I missed it, but does Power Wave really have none?
Nope, Power Wave is the only special he has which doesn't have a traditional FG input
Probably because both the QC motions were taken and a charge back-forward would feel awkward in everything except 1v1s

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How so? If it’s the too violent thing I’m sure they can tone him down. Bayonetta is very not family friendly and she’s in.
To be fair, Bayo was toned down too(She loses less clothing when doing wicked weaves), but I guess they couldn't think of a way to apply that to Mai for whatever reason. I can see Doomguy/Scorp/SubZ potentially being too violent, but I would like to think removing the blood would be enough to absolve this issue.

Hell, an enemy from Mother 3 uses the Adam West's Batman theme.
Not sure how some games get away with blatant covers, but Kenji Yamamoto(not the Metroid Kenji Y.) got in trouble for Dragon Ball. Though I guess in his case, it was the DBZKai ost that got him in trouble and not the DBZ games. Like Earthbound had a lot of covers as well.

D

Deleted member

One of the more shocking things is still having a character with a ****ing BACK Special. That'll be weirder for me than doing a Hurricane Kick/Crack Shoot motion any day.
Hero has like 20 special moves so is this really that special?

/s

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I lost the bet and I failed to stick to my guns and delete a simple forum account.

Yipee........
If you wanna stick to the original bet as we all intended it to be, change your avatar for two weeks. If that's not severe enough, hold back a week before purchading Gen 8

Last edited by a moderator:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I really hope there is never a Smash 6

Because this game will never be topped and it would be depressing watching the entire roster get Thanos snapped

D

Deleted member

Nope, Power Wave is the only special he has which doesn't have a traditional FG input
Probably because both the QC motions were taken and a charge back-forward would feel awkward in everything except 1v1s
True, though it does kinda trip you up a bit, Ah well, time to git gud.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nah, I’d find a way to mess that up too.
Dude. You seam to be forgetting the part where no one wanted you to delete your account if you lost the bet. Where did that even come from?

Also, I know that feeling. It is so hard to get past it. I don't always and it leads me to say and think some pretty dark things. But it is possible to get past it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So given Sakurai's statement for why Mai couldn't be a cameo. Could the same apply to the possibility of violence in Smash?

If so this might hinder Doom Slayer's and Scorpion's chances. What are you thoughts on this or would this be different?

D

Deleted member

So given Sakurai's statement for why Mai couldn't be a cameo. Could the same apply to the possibility of violence in Smash?

If so this might hinder Doom Slayer's and Scorpion's chances. What are you thoughts on this or would this be different?
:ultsnake::ultbayonetta:&:ultjoker:says hi

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Mai would’ve been fine if Sakurai gave her shorts. CERO also caused him to tone down Joker, Bayonetta, etc. and I doubt they’ll take some moral stance against DOOM in Smash and would just require Sakurai to remove the blood and viscera.

Like, if they actually cared about the mere presence of things referencing gross stuff that could make some extreme individuals mad, one of Metal Gear’s spirits wouldn’t be here, nor even Ridley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom