• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Enjoying the DQXI demo so far, though I'm taking my sweet time with it

Any advice in what's best to invest skill points in (or whatever they're called - apologies, am completely new to the franchise)
For the Luminary, I invested in Flame Slash and I think the one that increased Pep likelyhood. For Erik, I went all over the board. I did get Flame Slash and 2 more Pep Powers from him, and I think the skill where he can steal an item.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Looks like it's getting great feedback, so it's something open in the future. But regarding this pass it was an unknown quantity when it was being developed, and it's not a previous IP like Fire Emblem where they could have a promotional character they think could sell well. Add to that the likelihood of this pass being all third party, I give it a close to zero chance. But for a next pass, or a next game, much more possible now than I would have said a month ago.

As for my reaction if it happened--I'd be very surprised, given my reasons above. Not wholly against it, though.
Yeah. If Splatoon couldn’t be DLC in 4, Astral Chain won’t be for this one. Though we might get Mii costumes.

So, I haven’t watched like, treehouse footage of Astral Chain, so i’ve just kind of been going off the trailers. And with how well it’s doing.... I just have to ask, do you think it’s something I would like? What weird element have they added that’s making it do better than any hack-n-slash ever made before. Is it even a havk-n-slash?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Almost everyday I think about this super embarrassing thing I said to someone four years ago. It always invades my mind, without fail.

They probably don’t even remember who I am lmao

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You know, people call Minecraft peaceful, but havw you ever been stuck in an Abandoned Mineshaft wuth 3 hearts, 1/4th of a hunger bar left, no food, and all your tools are on low durabilty? With Cave Spider spawners everywhere?

That's stress inducing.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It's interesting how we're probably very close to a direct and nobody has a clue who the next two dlc fighters are. Usually there's a big leak by now. Hope we see a direct in the next couple weeks.
Don't jinx it buddy.

What if... Astrial Chain Cop was out next DLC character?
Eh... I'm not super into Astral Chain rn, but as long as the moveset is interesting, I wouldn't mind it.

I highly doubt it'll happen though.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Almost everyday I think about this super embarrassing thing I said to someone four years ago. It always invades my mind, without fail.

They probably don’t even remember who I am lmao
I connect with this epic and relatable post

sometimes I have similar thoughts but about things that weren't even embarrassing and nobody cared about

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
My first day back and there's already two quizzes and a test on my schedule for this week.

AAAAAAAA

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The DLC was picked last Fall and finalized in November. Picking Akira Howard back then would require serious balls of steels for such an unknown quantity added in as paid content. If there's a wave 2 and the game is a hit, I could see it then.

As for wanting it: I am neutral. I am neutral on the game and neutral on it being in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The DLC was picked last Fall and finalized in November.
Earlier than that, if what I heard is accurate. Spring 2018 was likely when the DLC was decided.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah. If Splatoon couldn’t be DLC in 4, Astral Chain won’t be for this one. Though we might get Mii costumes.

So, I haven’t watched like, treehouse footage of Astral Chain, so i’ve just kind of been going off the trailers. And with how well it’s doing.... I just have to ask, do you think it’s something I would like? What weird element have they added that’s making it do better than any hack-n-slash ever made before. Is it even a havk-n-slash?
I haven't seen it either, so I'd have to leave it to someone who has. Not my type of game, but the reviews look like they're really positive.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Splatoon wasn't too late. The orginal game was released a month before Fates was released in Japan.

Sakurai probably held off adding the Inklings in Smash 4 because the franchise was just kicking off. He probably thought Splatoon deserved a proper debut in the next Smash game instead of jumping right to adding the Inklings as DLC characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t there also power concerns on if the Inklings’ ink mechanic could work on both Wii U AND 3DS? Wouldn’t surprise me if that were the case

Remember, he was working on TWO games at the time, not one, and he had to make sure everything worked between the two versions. It’s why :ulticeclimbers: were cut for 4

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Splatoon wasn't too late. The orginal game was released a month before Fates was released in Japan.

Sakurai probably held off adding the Inklings in Smash 4 because the franchise was just kicking off. He probably thought Splatoon deserved a proper debut in the next Smash game instead of jumping right to adding the Inklings as DLC characters.
Ok then. The same could probably also be said for Astral Chain.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I think the ink system would've taken too much time for DLC as well. A lot of models in the game have to have textures that tell the game how to apply ink to them.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Enjoying the DQXI demo so far, though I'm taking my sweet time with it

Any advice in what's best to invest skill points in (or whatever they're called - apologies, am completely new to the franchise)
shortly before (or after? I don't remember) the demo ends you'll be able to re-allocate skill points for a small cost, so for now get stuff that's good short-term. Flame slash is fantastic early game because so few monsters resist fire.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I mean, forgive my boorishness but when you see 0 mods online, as someone who was wrapped up in, THAT, against his will and had to sink my hands into some rather icky pools to stop THAT from getting even worse, it's always disheartening to not see problematic issues stomped out asap to prevent another situation like that from happening again.

I admit I didn't handle the current situation well but, tbh this week's been ****ing wild for me, I kinda was just distressing, totally my b.:mybodyisreggie:
You're good, fam.

I appreciate the lot of you/don't want to see anything disturb the peace to that degree either. Just don't want anyone getting caught up in the crossfire is all.

Hoping we get that Direct sooner than later so we can bring that madness back in check, or at least back to where it clearly matters most (speculation and tinfoil hatbox theories).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. We’ve pretty much decided that if we get another Capcom character it will probably be from Resident Evil. So I want us to come to a decision on what the next Namco character would be, if they existed. Let’s gather up the likely candidates and go over possible reasons for each one. Decide which one has the strongest likelihood.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's a new Soul Calibur on the way, isn't there? Maybe Nightmare, or another character from it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There's a new Soul Calibur on the way, isn't there? Maybe Nightmare, or another character from it.
It’s already out. But yeah. SoulCalibur and Tekken are always prime candidates and, as fighting games, would be super easy to include. Though SoulCalibur is probably easier to use then Tekken.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Soul Calibur 6 came out last year and has a second season pass coming, if that's what you mean.
This. I don’t know how to describe it. It’s just cool.
Oddly enough, the key change makes it not sound like it belongs in Star Wars to me for some reason.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You know how in Shadow Dragon / Gaiden / Geneology / Awakening world FE games dragons that are exceptionally old or powerful eventually lose their minds and become violent?

The demonic beasts kind of make me think of that. They're all classified as dragon units, after all. It makes me wonder if something similar exists in TH world and was starting to happen to Rhea, and that's why she did the experiment she did on baby Byleth. She is pretty crazy.

..Or maybe she's just crazy without any draconic age-related illness being involved. It's hard to say.
It's possible as FE has reused that trope even when it's not related to the world of Archanea (ex. Fates), but considering that (at least as far as I'm aware) it's never mentioned as an issue for her I don't think that's the case.

If anything, what caused her to go crazy was the trauma from the loss of her mother and people. It's pretty clear that even during the battle against Nemesis that she was already a little deranged out of anger and her lines and actions imply that everything she does is to revive her mother, partially because of her desire to see her again, but also because she feels that humanity does need her guidance. It's driven home when you compare her actions both before the timeskip and between routes. With the former she's at her angriest when the Flame Emperor comes into the tomb and steals the Crest stones, which are the remains of her brethren. While with the latter:

When Byleth joins Edelgard, she snaps completely and becomes obsessed with killing them for 'stealing' her mother away, probably because it reminds her of what happened with Nemesis. It gets to the point that after repeated failures to get her back, she just loses herself to her rage completely and becomes little more then an enraged beast by the final chapter. By comparison, since Byleth never leaves her in the other routes she never shows that wrathful side of herself and remains composed.

In both cases she's at her worst when she's when it concerns what she loves and has lost/can lose. The trauma she endured has twisted her into a person who will do anything to protect her dead brethren and revive her mother, and when that's threatened she'll anything, no matter how ruthless, to stop it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Okay. We’ve pretty much decided that if we get another Capcom character it will probably be from Resident Evil. So I want us to come to a decision on what the next Namco character would be, if they existed. Let’s gather up the likely candidates and go over possible reasons for each one. Decide which one has the strongest likelihood.
I mean ya'll probably decided, but I think Dante has a likelihood--not a strong one, but possible. And I don't want to sleep on Phoenix Wright, that's possible too. And for all we know, Ken was the Capcom Ultimate rep, echo or not, and there's none for DLC. Small, but possible, chance.

Another point I'd like to add is I don't think a Bandai Namco character is certain, and I'd go out on a limb to say unlikely. There were 2 chances for a Bandai Namco rep after 4's base--4's DLC, Ultimate's base--and would make sense to have one given Bandai Namco was helping with the games. Perhaps because the pool of big franchises is smaller with Bandai Namco than Capcom and Square Enix, I wouldn't be surprised if Pac-Man was their only one.

All that having been said, the franchise I want the most is Digimon--would be nice to finally realize the Pokemon vs Digimon battles from the 90s. The most likely choice would probably be Heihachi, but I'm not a fan of more fighting game characters coming in--Street Fighter makes sense given its legacy, but now I'd rather have characters that are surprising for the genre. A big point in favor would be being bigger selling franchise than Pac-Man. And Lloyd is a big possibility, and one I don't see talked about quite as often. Has moves that would fit the game quite well, but from a popular RPG in Japan, up there with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

Soul Calibur 6 is forever relevant and willing to cross over with other franchises.

Digimon is popular-ish and has found itself on Nintendo consoles throughout its life span.

Tekken shouldn't be uncounted for.

Those are the main three I see as most realistic if Namco threw its hat back into the ring.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Regarding Soul Calibur 6, I was able to play a bit of it again recently. That game is definitely great. Cassandra is pretty hype. On another note, if a character was chosen from Soul Calibur for Smash it would definitely be Link. :emptysheep:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Regarding Soul Calibur 6, I was able to play a bit of it again recently. That game is definitely great. Cassandra is pretty hype. On another note, if a character was chosen from Soul Calibur for Smash it would definitely be Link. :emptysheep:
Is

Is that Hilda in your avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom