• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Erdrick > Luminary=Eight > Solo for me.

I just kinda grew fond of Erdrick over the course of the leaks lol. I think Luminary and Eight are both neat. The former has a slick design and the latter has a mouse. Meanwhile I didn't even know what game Solo was from prior to him being shown honestly. He kinda vaguely reminds me of Lewyn because of the color scheme though, so that's cool.

osby

Smash Obsessed
tfw barely anyone like Solo

I unno, I kinda dig the vague Greek Myth or Merman aesthetic going on
His design is neat but I don't think limiting his palette with two colors worked in favor of it.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Maybe this just shows my lack of familiarity with the two franchises but I feel like Crash would have a pretty similar appeal and target audience to Banjo. I'm thinking the fighter pass is going to cast a large net and try to get a variety of different audiences, and as such double dipping with Crash and Banjo doesn't seem so likely to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe this just shows my lack of familiarity with the two franchises but I feel like Crash would have a pretty similar appeal and target audience to Banjo. I'm thinking the fighter pass is going to cast a large net and try to get a variety of different audiences, and as such double dipping with Crash and Banjo doesn't seem so likely to me.
Banjo caters to N64 fans and Crash appeals to PS1 fans.

Their fanbases definitely overlap but not by a large margin.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

banjo's also been one of the most highly-requested characters bar none since n64/melee

crash has a fanbase but he doesn't come close by comparison

osby

Smash Obsessed
banjo's also been one of the most highly-requested characters bar none since n64/melee

crash has a fanbase but he doesn't come close by comparison
Interestingly enough, when you look outside of Smash fandom, it's the exact opposite.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Eight > Solo > Erdrick > Luminary for me. Eight's got a really cool bandana and sword, Solo's got those cool fins on his crown or whatever and blue hair, Erdrick has cool hair, Luminary is fugly.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Question time: how would you rank the four Dragon Quest protagonists in Smash? Or, in other words, which ones will you use most and least? You don't have to know anything about the games (I sure don't), but it can just be on a design level.

IMO:
Solo > Eight > Erdrick > Luminary
I like Erdrick's design the most with Eight coming in as a close second. Luminary is the most boring design for me so it goes like this:

Erdrick > Eight > Solo > Luminary

Also, admittidly I'm still slightly annoyed about the lack of squiggly lines under the eyes for their in-game models and renders.

It's strange too because the MC's featured in their FS have that detail:

I don't understand the inconsistency here. They look slightly bland facially without that one detail, and while it is a small detail it's one that I feel separates them a bit more design wise from the other sword wielders.

Sometimes it's that one little detail that makes all the difference.

I'm going Eight.

He looks like he's trying to cosplay Pan and Hit at the same time.
You mean the long coat Hit wears?

Eight's coat matches Pikkon's more. What better than to use Toriyama's model sheet for both of them in this comparison.

Aquuds

Smash Cadet
Bandanna guy is the only Hero alt I like bc I want BD more than any other character (Jibanyan and Decidueye are close)
I don’t even know his name or which DQ he’s from...

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
For me it'll be Eight > Erdrick > Luminary > Solo

And that's just by designs as I haven't played any Dragon Quest game.

D

Deleted member

Banjo is also a character from a 3D collect-a-thon while Crash comes from a Linear 3D Platformer series of games.

You could also argue that Crash is a cool rep from the mascot racing style of games, but that’s more subjective.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You could also argue that Crash is a cool rep from the mascot racing style of games, but that’s more subjective.
I guess? But it would be weird, like saying Mario is a sports/racing/party/whatever rep.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
So... I guess I'm mostly alone in preferring Solo over the other Hero costumes? :081:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Banjo is also a character from a 3D collect-a-thon while Crash comes from a Linear 3D Platformer series of games.

Huh, with all the comparisons people make to Spyro, I thought Crash was a collect-a-thon as well. TIL.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Eight > Solo > Erdrick > Luminary for me. Eight's got a really cool bandana and sword, Solo's got those cool fins on his crown or whatever and blue hair, Erdrick has cool hair, Luminary is fugly.
I can see why they would look like fins, but those are actually dragon wings on his helm.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And here's my professional opinion on who Banjo and Crash appeal to.

Banjo appeals to Banjo fans.
Crash appeals to Crash fans.
A statement this complicated might be too much for Smash fandom, considering how many people think half of the human-looking characters appeal to "anime" fans.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
A statement this complicated might be too much for Smash fandom, considering how many people think half of the human-looking characters appeal to "anime" fans.
i can't believe they're just adding all these japanese cartoon nobodies that no-one's ever heard of, like hero and banjo

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hey, Guys.

Yesterday was my 1 Year Anniversary being on this thread this forum. I didn't notice until I was about to go to bed (and therefore super tired) so I couldn't bring it up.
DREADED ANIMU!

D

Deleted member

And we all know that animes only feature human characters, totally lacking fictional creatures or cartoony characters.
Big /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom