• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Whatever pays rent. Preferably 2D though.
Maybe I’ll sound cheap, but I’m a fan of 3D animation. I get more enjoyment out of it. With 2D I’m way to critical. General 2D art on it’s own is derived of all fun for me just because I absolutely despise my art.

Just had to get that out there.

D

Deleted member

3D is incredible, don’t get me wrong.

But 2D gives me life
That’s what keeps me awake at night.

Not literally, but y’know.

I want to do 2D SO BADLY but I just can’t. I’m way to critical and 2D art is no fun because of how much I compare myself.

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe I’ll sound cheap, but I’m a fan of 3D animation. I get more enjoyment out of it. With 2D I’m way to critical. General 2D art on it’s own is derived of all fun for me just because I absolutely despise my art.

Just had to get that out there.
3D animation isn't at a level where for commercial TV (my field) it can be as expressive, dynamic, and economically feasible as 2D animation. But I'm also biased because I grew up on 2D animation.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Animation is wonderful. I practically grew up watching Disney and other animated films.

A movie being a "cartoon" alone doesn't factor into whether it's a good film or not. Don't let anyone ever tell ya otherwise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Too bad 2D is pretty much dead in terms of movies.

At least it continues on in shows.

I miss ones especially like The Prince of Egypt and The Brave Little Toaster. Favorite classics of mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3D animation isn't at a level where for commercial TV (my field) it can be as expressive, dynamic, and economically feasible as 2D animation. But I'm also biased because I grew up on 2D animation.
2D animation looks better visually, imo....

But gah i just cant do it

D

Deleted member

nnnnnnngggggghhhhhh

ok fine

im going to draw a character

and its gonna be awesome

at least thats what ill tell myself

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Too bad 2D is pretty much dead in terms of movies.

At least it continues on in shows.

I miss ones especially like The Prince of Egypt and The Brave Little Toaster. Favorite classics of mine.
Neither The Princess and the Frog nor Winnie the Pooh were financially successful enough to keep Disney's 2D hand-drawn films on track, sadly.

Not that their 3D films haven't been great, but I'd love to see Disney make another return to form and make some more hand-drawn films once again. Especially considering that, yeah, there aren't many other 2D films being made by anyone else out there, either.

I never saw The Prince of Egypt but I did watch The Brave Little Toaster on several occasions. I always enjoyed that one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's a story idea I had in mind for the HTTYD/Monsters vs. Aliens crossover I shared yesterday.

The possibility of Toothless meeting Hiccup's descendant. Toothless could find out during an mission with Team Monster smelling the blood lineage in said descendant.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think 3D animation tries too often to simulate real life. When I saw Toy Story 4 I was amazed at how often the scenery looked like real life, but the sense of style you see in 2D animation is rare, where we are launched into a new world that is a warped reflection of reality. Spider-Verse is the first mainstream CGI movie where I thought it actually showed that spark that you rarely get in 3D animation. Not just in the character designs and scenery, but the way the story was told.

D

Deleted member

3D can be incredible though

The How to train your Dragon movies are amazing examples
Reminds me of the cursed animation I showed you.

It felt off, then after some tinkering I finally got it and just MMMMMMMMMM

It’s far from perfect but I’ pretty happy with it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Land Before Time was another childhood favorite of mine. It still holds up today, in my opinion.

...Then it branched off into an insanely lengthy film franchise without any input from the three greats involved with the creation and production of the original. I do consider the first film and it's first ever sequel classics, but the rest? They vary in quality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think 3D animation tries too often to simulate real life. When I saw Toy Story 4 I was amazed at how often the scenery looked like real life, but the sense of style you see in 2D animation is rare, where we are launched into a new world that is a warped reflection of reality. Spider-Verse is the first mainstream CGI movie where I thought it actually showed that spark that you rarely get in 3D animation. Not just in the character designs and scenery, but the way the story was told.
Spiderverse is a masterpiece. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

It really amazes me. It has such charm that otjher animated movies just visually lack.

A lot of movies just look like/copy the Disney/Pixar style, but Spiderverse is truly unique.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Land Before Time was another childhood favorite of mine. It still holds up today, in my opinion.

...Then it branched off into an insanely lengthy film franchise without any input from the three greats involved with the creation and production of the original. I do consider the first film and it's first ever sequel classics, but the rest? They vary in quality.
The first three sequels were decent. After that though...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since were speaking of animation. I just love the style Laika Studios has for their films with their stop-motion animation. It shows the effort and hard work they put into their films.

I really liked Kubo and I loved and adored Missing Link. Colorful, light-hearted and an fun adventure of a film. My favorite movie after Godzilla 2. :)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Japan is basically the last stronghold of 2D animation and they're now transitioning slowly to CGI. The new Lupin movie is promising though.

TV still has a while to go before dynamic, high-quality 3D animation is feasible, like this:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
With more and more of my favorite animated TV shows ending, I really look forward to what else people can put out there. New shows for me to follow, new stories with new messages to hear, new characters to adore.

Right now all I really have is DuckTales and Steven Universe. Adventure Time ended last year, Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder ended in 2016, Regular Show ended in 2017, Star vs. ended this year and MLP (which my interest in has gradually lessened anyway) will be ending this year as well.

No idea how much life SU has left in it, but DuckTales seems like it's going to be sticking around for a while. I'm very grateful for that.

D

Deleted member

So I met the voice of Mickey Mouse and Bowser.

They both said I was on the right track.

MY HEART.

Anyways here’s some fun tidbits.

Bowser’s VA said the only words he has spoken as Bowser are...

“Mario!”
“Peach!”
“Nintendo!”
“Showtime!”

He also said it kills his throat so he has to be very careful.

Also, Noipoi Noipoi , he said doing Bowser is super fun.

StormC

Smash Hero
With more and more of my favorite animated TV shows ending, I really look forward to what else people can put out there. New shows for me to follow, new stories with new messages to hear, new characters to adore.

Right now all I really have is DuckTales and Steven Universe. Adventure Time ended last year, Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder ended in 2016, Regular Show ended in 2017, Star vs. ended this year and MLP (which my interest in has gradually lessened anyway) will be ending this year as well.

No idea how much life SU has left in it, but DuckTales seems like it's going to be sticking around for a while. I'm very grateful for that.
Steven Universe is ending with the movie this year.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The people behind this SpongeBob special payed Thomas F. Wilson to play with his dog in a park. This is just, wow.

Plus they’re using a lot of old forgotten background characters. That old Eel from the shoetieing episode, the tattletale strangler, even Mindy from the movie.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Agreed. The first one is a classic, and a favorite of mine. The others? Eh...I remember 5 and 7 being good.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Spiderverse is a masterpiece. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

It really amazes me. It has such charm that otjher animated movies just visually lack.

A lot of movies just look like/copy the Disney/Pixar style, but Spiderverse is truly unique.
If I ever have the chance to make an animated film, Spiderverse is the kind of movie I want to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom