• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"the copyright of Geno, reserved by Square Enix, Co. Ltd"

geno is as much a first party mario character as rabbid mario

in other words, he isn't
I kind of wish he was though. Like, what’s Squenix even gonna do with him? They don’t merchandise him, they didn’t spin him into his own or another series, the only thing they do with him is license him to Sakurai yo make cameos in Smash.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Did you read the whole sentence?
Yes.

“Super Mario Wiki” said:
Although Geno appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, he is a registered trademark of Square Enix, as noted in the end credits of the game. They state, "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Geno, reserved by Square Enix, Co. Ltd." (despite intellectual property laws for most countries maintaining that any element created specifically for a specific setting belongs to the owner of said setting, which in this case would be Nintendo).

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Facepalms
The direct quote is, Although Geno appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, he is a registered trademark of Square Enix, as noted in the end credits of the game. They state, "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Geno, reserved by Square Enix, Co. Ltd." (despite intellectual property laws for most countries maintaining that any element created specifically for a specific setting belongs to the owner of said setting, which in this case would be Nintendo).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Marvel vs Capcom 4 is a popular game for leaks these days.

I guess the fact that Infinite fell flat hurt a lot of people.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Did you read the whole sentence?
Did you think using a wiki like it's the official super mario bible will prove your point any more than it would not using it? :4pacman: How is that even trivia, that looks like something someone would add on wikipedia to prove their point.

Listen man, the deal was Square makes the game and characters, they keep the characters made. Geno is a character made.

It is literally an impossible to both be and not be a third party. You either are you are not, and geno is.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Facepalms
The direct quote is, Although Geno appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, he is a registered trademark of Square Enix, as noted in the end credits of the game. They state, "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Geno, reserved by Square Enix, Co. Ltd." (despite intellectual property laws for most countries maintaining that any element created specifically for a specific setting belongs to the owner of said setting, which in this case would be Nintendo).
Okay. So. They must have signed a weird contract. Look at his section on the Smash 4 site. Even that attributes him to Square. The only thing your information means is that if Nintendo decided to sue Square for the rights to these characters, they would probably win and get the rights. But that doesn’t mean anything about where his rights are at the moment.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Okay. So. They must have signed a weird contract. Look at his section on the Smash 4 site. Even that attributes him to Square. The only thing your information means is that if Nintendo decided to sue Square for the rights to these characters, they would probably win and get the rights. But that doesn’t mean anything about where his rights are at the moment.
Eh fair enough.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I kind of wish he was though. Like, what’s Squenix even gonna do with him? They don’t merchandise him, they didn’t spin him into his own or another series, the only thing they do with him is license him to Sakurai yo make cameos in Smash.
so long as they can make some money off licensing his image out for mii costume sales, they're probably quite content to sit on him.

honestly, i also don't think nintendo really has any interest in buying him or paying for him as a full-fledged character - outside of the core smash speculation scene and its dedicated geno fanbase, he just isn't very marketable nor recognised by the general public, and doesn't promote anything besides SNES mini.

at least banjo, to name a similar case, has been making on-off appearances throughout the years and is still recognised by guys like spencer. nintendo, meanwhile, seems to have zero interest in geno beyond acknowledging his support as a spirit and costume.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Infinite did 3 decisive **** ups
1: Cut too much of the roster
2: Looks pretty ugly
3: THAT ****ING PUSHBLOCK SOUND. I'm deflecting an attack not using an early 2000's computor mouse
Right, but it still doesn't have a release date.

When you said "tomorrow" I suddenly got excited. Shame it's not a play anywhere title, 'cause I already own it digitally on Xbox.
Ohhhh my bad, I meant "The PC will be picked up tomorrow"

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ohhhh my bad, I meant "The PC will be picked up tomorrow"
Ahhh. Getting your new PC is going to be awesome.

Figure out how to make a desk work in your room yet?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Please dear god Capcom, just make a Capcom centric fighter.

I'd buy it and all the dumb enhanced versions of it.

PLEASE, CAPCOM.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

PLEASE, CAPCOM.
but whats the super important plot that has to matter on why all these characters are coming together

whos the villain who dares to challenge our important heroes

i mean all you need to deal with them is probably like dante and mega man but like, maybe phoenix wright can take the villain to court

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I just hope that MvC4 and SFVI get as much love as RE7, RE2R, MM11, and DMCV.

Am I the only one that thinks they should pull a Cross Tag Battle and rip over all the assets from USFIV and SFV/UMvC3 and MvCI

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
you know what i was genuinely thinking about the other day

were there people back in 2001 who genuinely wanted :falcomelee: in the game

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth i need your wisdom on this one

D

Deleted member

Since we're talking about Vergeben, the dude clarified what he knows about Minecraft and what he thinks about Steve. He mentions that Minecraft content is still coming (with a boss) but has heard nothing credible about Steve coming to Smash. No reliable source has mentioned Steve and there was a lot of confusion going around during launch datamining, leading him to jump the gun over when the MC stuff got in.

Interesting stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
so long as they can make some money off licensing his image out for mii costume sales, they're probably quite content to sit on him.

honestly, i also don't think nintendo really has any interest in buying him or paying for him as a full-fledged character - outside of the core smash speculation scene and its dedicated geno fanbase, he just isn't very marketable nor recognised by the general public, and doesn't promote anything besides SNES mini.

at least banjo, to name a similar case, has been making on-off appearances throughout the years and is still recognised by guys like spencer. nintendo, meanwhile, seems to have zero interest in geno beyond acknowledging his support as a spirit and costume.
Come on Nintendo.

Paper Mario 3
Mario and Luigi game that’s good
Mario + Rabbids 2
Super Mario RPG2

The year of the Mario RPG.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ahhh. Getting your new PC is going to be awesome.

Figure out how to make a desk work in your room yet?
No but I remembered my sister wants to swap bedrooms which makes me go to the attic, the largest room in the house

PLEASE, CAPCOM.
Wonder what'll happen first, SMTV news, another good Capcom VS fighter or Vergil and Lady in DMCV

Am I the only one that thinks they should pull a Cross Tag Battle and rip over all the assets from USFIV and SFV/UMvC3 and MvCI
I mean they REALLY should do that for the next MVC game to save costs. Not too many new characters I'd want from USF4 off the top of my head.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No but I remembered my sister wants to swap bedrooms which makes me go to the attic, the largest room in the house

Wonder what'll happen first, SMTV news, another good Capcom VS fighter or Vergil and Lady in DMCV

I mean they REALLY should do that for the next MVC game to save costs. Not too many new characters I'd want from USF4 off the top of my head.
Not for me either, aside from Poison. I’m just thinking of maximizing launch day roster and minimizing costs. One of the criticisms of V was lack of day 1 content. This would fix that. Maybe even hire Arika and use the Fighting EX Layer Characters.

Same for Marvel vs. Capcom. All that, plus the scrapped DLC characters from Infinite. Tout them as the newcomers and you’ve got a pretty solid lineup.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

They do that to a small extent with skeleton rigging, but the artstyles would clash HARD. Unlike BBTAG it's not all 2D anime and you gotta deal with all the artstyles and design quirks of the games.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
but whats the super important plot that has to matter on why all these characters are coming together
The X-virus created by the Capcom villains to overtake the world and make everyone rabidly fight each other.

whos the villain who dares to challenge our important heroes

i mean all you need to deal with them is probably like dante and mega man but like, maybe phoenix wright can take the villain to court
Technically Miles Edgeworth would since he's a prosecutor so hey, maybe he can be in the game too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They do that to a small extent with skeleton rigging, but the artstyles would clash HARD. Unlike BBTAG it's not all 2D anime and you gotta deal with all the artstyles and design quirks of the games.
They just gotta change the texturing. Sure that’s work. But it’s not building all new models work. I mean, that’s what they did to make Infinite.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The X-virus created by the Capcom villains to overtake the world and make everyone rabidly fight each other.

Technically Miles Edgeworth would since he's a prosecutor so hey, maybe he can be in the game too.
just give me back captain commando and i wont care

oh and amingo

image.gif

no amingo no buy

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Hi, this is Vergeben #43, just wanted to say that KOS-MOS will get in the game as DLC, which mean I won't have to pay Gentlepanda Gentlepanda the 20 bucks I promised if a XB2 character got in, so, get dunked on son"

"Also, **** me, drawing female cyborg legs took more than time than it should have"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom