• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It could mean that the spells were chosen at random during his development process. If they were being randomly selected during gameplay that could screw up recovering.
my interpretation is that he has regular specials for side, down and up-special but his command window move (mapped to neutral-special) randomly selects a list of four from a pool

would explain why some of hero's specials were shown off with luminary at the start of his trailer while others were only featured (with emphasis via skill names) after the command window was revealed

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It is interesting to hear this, especially contrasting to Phil Spencer saying it was an easy deal on his end. Makes me think it's more some people at Nintendo who were against it. However, that could have been an issue before, perhaps recently things have changed (Banjo & Kazooie made it in, after all).
Hopefully so.

I've already seen a couple or so toxic B-K fans in the replies to PushDustIn; I know they're likely trolls but it still bothers me. The B-K vs. Steve war is pathetic; hopefully it doesn't continue for long, it should've been dead even before B-K's reveal.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

looking back at this, i'd hazard a guess that command window is actually down-b, with neutral-b being the chargeable fire move, side-b being the lightning bolt, and up-b being the gust of wind

D

Deleted member

STINGY
SQUARE
ENIX

D

Deleted member

When your mom comes and asks for your advice on a deep issue.

Mic Edit: Don't post giant reaction images with no significant content.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, don't really like the idea of random spells, and I'm honestly wondering if it's just a mistranslation (maybe something like "various" instead of random?). Especially since the 4 moves per special theory just makes so much more sense.

Like by this logic, Zoom would be mapped to down B or neutral B, which is just... weird

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hopefully so.

I've already seen a couple or so toxic B-K fans in the replies to PushDustIn; I know they're likely trolls but it still bothers me. The B-K vs. Steve war is pathetic; hopefully it doesn't continue for long, it should've been dead even before B-K's reveal.
What the hell do Banjo fans have to be toxic about?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What the hell do Banjo fans have to be toxic about?
I don't know, just one guy mentioning how Steve is probably dead, another saying Steve was deconfirmed once B-K were revealed, and another saying "Silence, zoomer!" to a guy who was polite about how Minecraft could get in eventually. Of course the last one is very trollish but I don't know anymore, everyone was mad at some of the Steve fans for their boomer remarks.

Sakurai also said that it was quite easy to get B-K this time, however, so maybe they'll all shut up since it probably means nothing, Nintendo and Microsoft are already acting like pals.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
[snip]
STINGY
SQUARE
ENIX
Inb4 we ALSO only get 2 DQ songs... this isn’t giving me hope for Neku as a third Square Rep, him with only 2 TWEWY songs would be a huge disservice

At least the random spells thing would make Hero somewhat fairer for competitive play

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
imagine if your available monado arts randomly cycled every time you held down neutral B
>be dystopian future shulk
>try recovering with the jump art
>instead get shield art
>proceed to sink like an anchor as you ponder where your timeline went wrong

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Some interesting bits from PushDustIn's translations:
- Sakurai wanted to include the "legendary" command prompt when working with Dragon Quest
- The command window has random spell/attack prompts, and decided the MP system
- Banjo & Kazooie were requested by the West for a long time, even after Ridley and K Rool came in.
- Reiterates a previous statement from the Melee days that their inclusion should have been a natural one. Despite legal difficulties in the past, this time it was easy
- He reiterates an opinion from the Smash 4 days, that he doesn't care for console wars, it's about the games.

My thoughts:

I'm wondering if "random" is a translation issue--could he have meant "various"? As for Banjo & Kazooie, I'm honestly shocked that Sakurai is so up-front that he's talking about the complicated legal history--both Phil Spencer and Bill Trinen seemed to shrug it off. Looks like the first translations of "difficulties" and "console wars being a good thing" were a bit off, though I assumed the difficulties were about previous attempts--this, I believe, confirms it, though it was easier this time around. And yes Sakurai, this particular fan is very pleased!

Of course, it's best to read the Twitter thread for full details.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Inb4 we ALSO only get 2 DQ songs... this isn’t giving me hope for Neku as a third Square Rep, him with only 2 TWEWY songs would be a huge disservice

At least the random spells thing would make Hero somewhat fairer for competitive play
At this point, I dont care if we only get two songs, I can look it up on yt and listen to them. I got Hero and thats good enough for me

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Some interesting bits from PushDustIn's translations:
- Sakurai wanted to include the "legendary" command prompt when working with Dragon Quest
- The command window has random spell/attack prompts, and decided the MP system
- Banjo & Kazooie were requested by the West for a long time, even after Ridley and K Rool came in.
- Reiterates a previous statement from the Melee days that their inclusion should have been a natural one. Despite legal difficulties in the past, this time it was easy
- He reiterates an opinion from the Smash 4 days, that he doesn't care for console wars, it's about the games.

My thoughts:

I'm wondering if "random" is a translation issue--could he have meant "various"?
I’m curious about that too. Not sure how literally that translation should be taken, but I’m eager to hear more about the Hero.

I think in the trailer we can see him use psyche up right after using bounce without going into the menu itself. Not sure if you can cycle through them, or the order in which you do that is random, but yeah. This character is going to be weird.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
RANDOM?
I swear to god Sakurai if I gotta manage 4 different specials on each special being chosen randomly and taking away from a limited meter that I also need to recover, I am going to snap.
rewatching the trailer, looks much more to me like his fire/lightning/wind abilities are his neutral/side/up specials respectively, and command window is his down special with its own pool of moves selected at random

i don't think each move has its own four spells--the final section of the trailer is just showing off his down-b gimmick move in the vein of limit break or arsene, and the spells that follow are part of said gimmick move

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I'm reading Sakurai's comment as: he initially conceived of the choices as random. Turn-based RPGs are about strategizing. The ability to control your attack options for battles is important. A randomized selection of spells seems to contradict this idea, so I'm still doubtful it's the final product.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
RANDOM?
I swear to god Sakurai if I gotta manage 4 different specials on each special being chosen randomly and taking away from a limited meter that I also need to recover, I am going to snap.
Doubtful, my good man.

I bet it’s just down special. Place your bets.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doesn’t Eight have an alternate name? From an icon set I saw on Twitter it was Trodain or something

Luminary also had an alternate name, think it began with an I

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Doesn’t Eight have an alternate name? From an icon set I saw on Twitter it was Trodain or something

Luminary also had an alternate name, think it began with an I
Trodain's the country he serves. I believe before the game proper starts he was a low-ranking guard of Trodain iirc.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Trodain's the country he serves. I believe before the game proper starts he was a low-ranking guard of Trodain iirc.
“Quiver in fear! Trodain Guy is here!”

Edit: If Banjo’s down air isn’t drill beak, I’m gonna be only slightly inconvenienced. Missed opportunity, though.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'm reading Sakurai's comment as: he initially conceived of the choices as random. Turn-based RPGs are about strategizing. The ability to control your attack options for battles is important. A randomized selection of spells seems to contradict this idea, so I'm still doubtful it's the final product.
i get your point, but joker being forced to go extended periods without access to arsene also contradicts basically everything about persona's battle system

accuracy to actual JRPG systems has very rarely actually been realised with smash fighters

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
rewatching the trailer, looks much more to me like his fire/lightning/wind abilities are his neutral/side/up specials respectively, and command window is his down special with its own pool of moves selected at random

i don't think each move has its own four spells--the final section of the trailer is just showing off his down-b gimmick move in the vein of limit break or arsene, and the spells that follow are part of said gimmick move
Doubtful, my good man.

I bet it’s just down special. Place your bets.
Well... that's better than half of his moveset being random but that still kinda sucks ngl. It's a game and watch style side B where it's just "lol, just throw that move out for ****s and giggles" rather than helping him consistently.

Like imagine getting a menu that's just kaclang, kamikazee, zoom, and bounce.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
i get your point, but joker being forced to go extended periods without access to arsene also contradicts basically everything about persona's battle system

accuracy to actual JRPG systems has very rarely actually been realised with smash fighters
Fair point. I forgot about Joker. Nonetheless, I could say DQ is still meant to be "the" RPG in Smash. Hero's ability to choose a move is not present in anyone else's moveset, so maybe it's a deliberate attempt to be faithful to the mechanics, whereas joker is more about the visual flair and persona concept.

I'm just in denial. Please don't make this **** rng

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well... that's better than half of his moveset being random but that still kinda sucks ngl. It's a game and watch style side B where it's just "lol, just throw that move out for ****s and giggles" rather than helping him consistently.

Like imagine getting a menu that's just kaclang, kamikazee, zoom, and bounce.
It shows you get to select from 4 and I bet they don’t change mid-match. You get 4 to strategize with. Just like in DQ, you have different abilities depending on your path through the game and they don’t change each battle.

Sakurai is basically looking dishonor in the face if he ruins Hero for Japan.....people won’t sleep at night, man.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I forgot to do the AMA drawing on Saturday like usual, then the actual first AMA on Sunday. Whoops.

But.

I just drew one name for today, and iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's....... Gentlepanda Gentlepanda ! Come on down, buddy.

If you're up for an AMA I'll put it up soon.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So I forgot to do the AMA drawing on Saturday like usual, then the actual first AMA on Sunday. Whoops.

But.

I just drew one name for today, and iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's....... Gentlepanda Gentlepanda ! Come on down, buddy.

oh **** lads it's go time

D

Deleted member

But.

You’ve given him too much power.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
PushDustIn clarified that it's unclear if the spells are random, or if the order is random, as Sakurai is being vague (probably to not spoil anything for their full unveil coming up).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
PushDustIn clarified that it's unclear if the spells are random, or if the order is random, as Sakurai is being vague (probably to not spoil anything for their full unveil coming up).
but it is, nevertheless, random in some way

masahiro sakurwhy

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Funny how he was waiting to clarify that he was unsure

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
After thinking about it, I can see the down-B as random as a likely possibility. It does make the character easier to use overall, and stuff like recovering won't be tied to MP, so that's good. Plus it does match up better with the reveal trailer, as people have mentioned.

Still I liked the 4 spells to input idea, and it feels like the random elements will tank his viability, at least from a reliability standpoint. We'll have to wait and see I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom