• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My question is, why is Mario so scared lol?
He's in a dark cave with lots of creature noises and creepy glowing eyes and then this dude just busts in through the wall like OOF!...dafuq you think Mario was expecting pizza!?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
-I haven't fully read the entirety of Ben Drowned. I need to go back to that one.
-No End House was pretty good. Just read only the first one and not the sequel.

That said, haven't read any creepypastas in a while. Notable creepypastas that I enjoyed were:
-Abandoned by Disney
-some ocean-focused creepypastas like Afraid of the Water and The Antiguan Giant(heck, there's a playlist for underwater-focused creepypastas)
-the Woman in the Snow
-there was a McDonald themed one I remember, but not the name.
-and my personal favorite, the NES Godzilla creepypasta. Like the amount of effort the creator did with the images were frickin' fantastic and while the ending.....wasn't the best, the entire story aside from the ending was pretty good and gave me some good chills. Although part of it may have been that I am a huge Godzilla fan, so I knew all the references and monsters.

Nowadays, my creepypasta itches are fixed mainly by the SCP Foundation stories and whatnot. But recently, Trevor Henderson has also helped as well.
OH, another one I love, speaking of Disney.

The "Disney Mirror Mirror Challenge" one is really good. I love that one as well. It sets up dread really well.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
a little bit early but, SSGuy's AMA is now up

if you're interested in participating in a future AMA and are not currently on the list of future AMA subjects, please lemme know

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Currently brainstorming on what the qilin/kirin could hypothetically be in the world of Cryptozoologicon. I've came down to three.

1. Given its been sometimes called the Chinese unicorn that I would envision it being part of the same order as horses, tapirs, and rhinos. Part of the same family as unicorns evolving from an ancient group of rhinos that were better adapted to running.

2. A member of the cervidae order. I get this idea because when I look at elk or moose, they look like these guardians or spirits of the forest made flesh and qilins/kirins in East Asian mythology were benevolent protectors.

3. A species of giraffe or a close relative at least living outside Africa. This idea comes to mind from Zheng He who brought one back from Africa actually thought it was a qilin/kirin.

Out of the three, I'd probably go with the first option.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This still doesn't feel real. Like, I'm in a dream right now.

Normally, I get my most wanted at the very beginning of the reveal (Villager in 4, Inkling in Ult), so this experience of having a top 3 most wanted come in later is very new to me.

I'm gonna cry if this is a dream.
Funny, I had this thought too.

“What if I wake up tomorrow and this is just some extremely vivid dream? No...”

It feels too good to be true, but it is true, and it’s wonderful.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This still doesn't feel real. Like, I'm in a dream right now.

Normally, I get my most wanted at the very beginning of the reveal (Villager in 4, Inkling in Ult), so this experience of having a top 3 most wanted come in later is very new to me.

I'm gonna cry if this is a dream.
There is a chance that we are all part of a simulation and that we are nothing more than just brains in jars, so life as we know it may be nothing more than one long dream...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Wow, it's the first time I get a "Bad Gateway" error all day, and it happened just now. Guess the site is still breaking.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Let's be honest, though, most Creepypastas out there are better than Sonic.EXE
Seeing Tails and other characters I love get tortured and beaten down to death like they do breaks my heart. I hate that story.

...objectively though, Squidward's Suicide is worse. Sonic.exe at least starts out well, with a decent concept (despite the corrupted game trope being overdone in general). On the other hand, there is not a single redeeming quality with SS. At all.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Seeing Tails and other characters I love get tortured and beaten down to death like they do breaks my heart. I hate that story.
That part can be heartwrenching, I can agree with that, but the story as a whole (and especially the game adaptation) are just incredibly cheesy pieces of horror that overstayed any welcome they might have once had.

Bad stuff just happens to the characters for no real reason, and seeing a bloody Sonic with generic evil black and red eyes trying to tell the player he is "God" is just ridiculous and edgier than any common Sonic OC.

There's an SFM animation out there that actually shows Sonic cartoonishly beating Sonic.EXE to death with a baseball bat and declaring that the story is stupid. It pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Creepypasta.

...objectively though, Squidward's Suicide is worse. Sonic.exe at least starts out well, with a decent concept (despite the corrupted game trope being overdone in general). On the other hand, there is not a single redeeming quality with SS. At all.
I have never once read that story and I have no plans on it. I can understand why it'd be an irredeemably bad story based on the little I've heard about it, though. Reception has seemed almost entirely negative.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Made my final conclusion and take on the qilin/kirin in the hypothetical world of Cryptozoologicon.

It's a species that shares a common ancestor with cervids (Deer). Like chevrotains, it's mainly herbivorous but will occasionally supplement its diet on meat notably small animals like rodents, birds, small reptiles as well as carrion.

Compared to its closest relatives, it is more carnivorous in comparison, I based this idea off on the qilin's/kirin's dragon-like face and features notably teeth, and relating to the myths of them being benevolent protectors, they pose no threat to people, only attacking if provoked.

D

Deleted member

MooMew64 MooMew64
I saw your reaction, and you sounded so excited. It sounded like you were in tears.

Just like me.

I cannot stress enough how happy I am right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Geno's a character that's likely as he's ever been, but also not in any way confirmed.

He's never moved from his spot of "Could happen", alongside literally every other character that exists. I'm kinda glad he's NOT FP7, not because I don't want him, but because I'm begging his fanbase to not cling to every small coincidence and rumor as thinking "He's in". This was a huge wakeup call, I'd hope, but I also know people are thinking there's a massive E3 conspiracy going on right now and that CP8 was 'also' an E3 reveal or some **** so....

Has no one learned by now? Leakers just do not know who the characters are atm unless it's high time for them to drop.

If we do get another Square rep, I think Geno has a very, very good shot, but clinging to every conspiracy theory and rumor needs to go.
This is very true, and reminds me, you said Zhuge knew it was Steve, did he actually straight say it though? Just curious.
Timing is irrelevant to Smash reveals. Sakurai and his team works on these characters at their own pace and they get revealed/released when they are ready not to coincide with outside release schedules, unless they are coincidentally happening at similar times.

They probably plan on doing them in a specific order based on priorities, etc. But they're not working to fulfill outside quotas.

Plus we've got the plague that's making things even harder to stay on schedule.
....ehhhhh......

I mean, straight up, we have hard evidence that Steve's announcement was being held back for upwards of two weeks, this is proven by just how many missing news articles and tournaments we have on the New's site, which are 100% going to be filled up now that Steve is in, and the reason he was held back is.... oh, right, Minecon is the exact same day that his Sakurai Presents is.
This, the video was clearly put up today so as to not tip people off who it was. It was slotted between perfect reveals and I think Nintendo definitely planned on that with marketing.
I mean, I'm pretty sure they didn't plan most of their 2020/2021 reveals to line up how they did/will do, but then Covid happened.

Regardless, they absolutely held back Steve for Minecon, since Sakurai's presentation goes live right before it goes live. Now, when I say "Held back", I mean his advertising. He was very clearly done ahead of time, but they dropped him in a time that would benefit them and Minecraft in general the most.
This, the video was clearly put up today so as to not tip people off who it was. It was slotted between perfect reveals and I think Nintendo definitely planned on that with marketing.

To explain a bit.

First Steve was likely the E3 reveal. We had Minecraft dungeons out earlier this year right before E3. Steve would fit perfectly to draw attention to it then.

To go even further back, verge was adamant Minecraft content was in the game an supported playable Steve. I would say this was just wrong info but, if you think about how every state had to be reworked and Steve needed more time to transition well to the game, perhaps Banjo and Steve were negotiated for at the same time.

This would line up with the verge rumors and the rumors that they’ve been trying on and off to do Minecraft for the past few years.

Anyway back to marketing.

The switch has had a really solid plan when it comes to reveals and releases, before and after COvID. We were getting one big game a month basically with plenty of advertising put into these campaigns. A pattern that has mostly stuck with COVID.

We’ve even seen them adjust their marketing now. Every month since they started, we’ve had a partner showcase based around upcoming games. We also back in June got Pokémon and Smash Together. The Same thing as this week.

So there’s definitely a plan with how they manage their marketing and it’s very intentional but there’s a lot to it. Steve being announced and dropped before Minecon is obviously the point. We also have Pokémon and Crash bordering this release.

Given the tight lock and key on Steve, it’s very likely this presentation was planned out beforehand to coincide with releases that make speculation harder. After all Nintendo themselves with Byletth discussed wanting to keep reveals more of a secret now.

Lining up a reveal next to press releases for big games is genius marketing. It completely throws speculation out the window, which seemed to be the goal.

Maybe I’m overthinking but it does feel like these things are planned out ahead of time and announcements coincide with different events, like how Min-Min was announced when they did the free ARMS trial.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
imma be a follower
:ultinkling: LETS GOOOOOOO
:ultdaisy: DAMN GURL SLAY IT PRINCESS
:ultridley: LETS ****ING GOOOOOOOOOO
:ultsimon: Captain N reunion...hot
:ultrichter:...****ing who
:ultkrool: Big Boy making a well deserved return
:ultisabelle: adorable...but **** you
:ultken: no banana hair
:ultincineroar: a wrestler and a furry...better mayor than Kane
:ultpiranha: Gang Gang
:ultjoker: I will forever love and take care of you all, especially Brojiro and Kawakami
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: Trunks, 17, GOHAN, and some guy
:ultbanjokazooie: GUH ****ING HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
:ult_terry: who...but now...PSYCHO....PSYCHO....PSYCHO SOLDIER
:ultbyleth: Fyleth better
:ultbylethf: SOTHIS DAMMIT YOU RULE
:ultminmin I WILL EAT YOU HAIR AND ARMS FOOD LADY...
:nessecho: SAAAANS
Steve and Alex...I care for you Enderman

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
SmashBoards broke, Twitter broke, and Steve's trailer reached #1 on trending on YouTube.

I do not think we can empathize enough how massive Steve being in Smash is.
This is so weird because Banjo and Hero have like quadruple the views and most of those were the first two days. Yet Steve is no where near they and crashed sites. Makes me wonder if more people just memed over it then actually watching the trailer and seeing how he works.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
On an unrelated note, it's still raining on the Isle of Armor so I'm still trying to catch a Shinx and ALL I'M FINDING ARE HUNDREDS OF SHELMETS AND CORPHISHES WHY.

I think the rarest find I've gotten today is a Happiny, which I've seen a few of but not nearly as many as the others. Decided to catch it just because I know it doesn't spawn often either. Getting a rare find is nice and all, but what I'm really after for my team is a Shinx...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is so weird because Banjo and Hero have like quadruple the views and most of those were the first two days. Yet Steve is no where near they and crashed sites. Makes me wonder if more people just memed over it then actually watching the trailer and seeing how he works.
To be fair, Banjo and Hero were E3 picks.

Still, Steve did get #1 on trending on YouTube, which is quite an achievement.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Banjo & Hero had E3 to push them forward.

Steve, as big name he is, had only a small presentation to show him off, so maybe it limited how many peoples saw the actual trailer.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
To be fair, Banjo and Hero were E3 picks.

Still, Steve did get #1 on trending on YouTube, which is quite an achievement.
True but I was thinking that might lower the views as they were in the E3 showcase why view them separating? Steve is big so I’m surprised a stand-alone drop of his trailer didn’t reach those levels. We shall see if it does down the line though.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
True but I was thinking that might lower the views as they were in the E3 showcase why view them separating? Steve is big so I’m surprised a stand-alone drop of his trailer didn’t reach those levels. We shall see if it does down the line though.
In all fairness, the version with Mr. Sakurai Presents gained like nearly 2 million in less than 10 minutes.

But that video is now gone. It's just the trailer now.

D

Deleted member

It's a ****in video game it's not the end of the world

Take this from someone who really doesn't like Minecraft, it's there now, get over it

Not aimed at anyone in particular, nosiree bob
I just want to say I really like your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom