• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But they could be spending they’re time and money on something else instead! Why can’t they do that?
Because watching a movie about bad people can be interesting and worth the time and money?

You realize that going back to Shakespeare and beyond we've been telling tales about bad people.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Cause you’re not the only person on the planet.
Betcha I’m not the only person who thinks so
Because watching a movie about bad people can be interesting and worth the time and money?

You realize that going back to Shakespeare and beyond we've been telling tales about bad people.
Oh yes. I want the movie to be about a man murdering people and terrorizing families and oppressing the masses while the film frames it in a way that you should want them to succeed in their goals. That wouldn’t be horrible and disgusting at all!
She’s thought of worse.
You just won points. I think enough to finally evolve you into Wademan95

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh yes. I want the movie to be about a man murdering people and terrorizing families and oppressing the masses while the film frames it in a way that you should want them to succeed in their goals. That wouldn’t be horrible and disgusting at all!
Snake, let me ask you something.
Do you think a movie about a masked guy in a fictional country shooting lightning out of his fingers or even just a clown would glorify killers more than oh I don’t know...news networks that plaster the name, face and manifesto of mass/school shooters across the nation within minutes after it happens? Despite experts saying that it absolutely inspires others?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, let me ask you something.
Do you think a movie about a masked guy in a fictional country shooting lightning out of his fingers or even just a clown would glorify killers more than oh I don’t know...news networks that plaster the name, face and manifesto of mass/school shooters across the nation within minutes after it happens? Despite experts saying that it absolutely inspires others?
A. I think the way news media handles stuff like that is horrible.
B. Whataboutism is not an argument. Just because other things are bad or other people do bad things doesn’t mean that you get a free pass to get away with them.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
dr. doom should definitely get his own movie

throw in the time he talked to a tiger god about how literally him winning is the best end for humanity

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
A. I think the way news media handles stuff like that is horrible.
B. Whats purism is not an argument. Just because other things are bad or other people do bad things doesn’t mean that you get a free pass to get away with them.
Just saying we should probably put things into perspective a bit better. You’re starting to sound like those soccer moms that believe that all violence in the world is caused by video games and such.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
SDed twice in winners and couldnt even connect in losers for p+

I lost badly and I couldnt even redeem myself. No chance. Didnt have the opportunity.

Why the F do I bother trying when everything always goes wrong and I try to have fun with this game but i just regress or disconnect or whatever junk.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just saying we should probably put things into perspective a bit better. You’re starting to sound like those soccer moms that believe that all violence in the world is caused by video games and such.
That’s just... no. I know this stuff doesn’t cause violence. I just don’t think you can make a movie about an evil character without it becoming unenjoyable. You need to want the character who stars in the film you are watching to succeed. And you can’t expect people to want a genocidal madman to succeed in their goals. Your not gonna get a huge crowd of people in a theatre going “YEAH! Murder those innocent families!”. And if you do succeed in that then your being a manipulative douche. The only way you can have an evil character be a good protagonist is if they learn their lesson by the end and stop. But if you do that with Dr. Doom or The Joker then there goes your big franchise mega villain.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anyway, I'd love to join in on our weekly prescribed debate but I'm ****ing depressed so bye
Oh, you too?

I've had the ****tiest week man. If I say "**** love" one more time I'll become a certified soundcloud rapper, **** it all man.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That’s just... no. I know this stuff doesn’t cause violence. I just don’t think you can make a movie about an evil character without it becoming unenjoyable. You need to want the character who stars in the film you are watching to succeed. And you can’t expect people to want a genocidal madman to succeed in their goals. Your not gonna get a huge crowd of people in a theatre going “YEAH! Murder those innocent families!”. And if you do succeed in that then your being a manipulative douche. The only way you can have an evil character be a good protagonist is if they learn their lesson by the end and stop. But if you do that with Dr. Doom or The Joker then there goes your big franchise mega villain.
I mean, that's not even true.

The Slasher genre exists, and say what you will about them being nothing but schlock, they make bank, and the hero don't always pull through, like the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

****ing Freddy Kreuger is one of the most dispicable humans to ever exist and he got in ****ing Mortal Kombat, not to even begin to say how iconic a character he is.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think you’re making way too many assumptions here about what Joker is and what Dr. Doom could be.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that's not even true.

The Slasher genre exists, and say what you will about them being nothing but schlock, they make bank, and the hero don't always pull through, like the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

****ing Freddy Kreuger is one of the most dispicable humans to ever exist and he got in ****ing Mortal Kombat, not to even begin to say how iconic a character he is.
Forgive me as I've never watched a movie in that series, but I was under the impression that, regardless if they succeed or not, you were supposed to be rooting for the normal people trying to escape from/stop Freddy. Not Freddy.
I think you’re making way too many assumptions here about what Joker is and what Dr. Doom could be.
I mean, I don't want to watch the movie so I guess I can't comment. but I know who the Joker is as a character. And I can't see how anyone could want him to succeed in his goals. The Joker's such a good villain because he's an ineffable force of chaos, death, and destruction.

And I might not be much of a Marvel fan, but I do know just how bad a guy Dr. Doom is. You can't make him relatable. You can't want him to succeed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only way you can have an evil character be a good protagonist is if they learn their lesson by the end and stop.
unless you have a doctorate in film studies im pretty sure you shouldn't be throwing things around like its fact :nifty: so please, cease your tomfoolery.

also have you seen joker's results?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
unless you have a doctorate in film studies im pretty sure you shouldn't be throwing things around like its fact :nifty: so please, cease your tomfoolery.
I'm studying film in collage right now! I don't have a doctorate, I don't think I ever would do that much school. But I think I know what I'm talking about, at least to a degree.

D

Deleted member

My friend: asks me to play a "card game"
Me:
sketch1598575670860 (1).png

Didn't come out exactly the way I hoped but it's close enough I guess. The fact I can even draw something like this nowadays speaks volumes about how much I've learned though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean, I don't want to watch the movie so I guess I can't comment. but I know who the Joker is as a character. And I can't see how anyone could want him to succeed in his goals. The Joker's such a good villain because he's an ineffable force of chaos, death, and destruction.

And I might not be much of a Marvel fan, but I do know just how bad a guy Dr. Doom is. You can't make him relatable. You can't want him to succeed.
And it feels like you’re letting your minimum knowledge and refusal to look further into this stuff cloud your perception.

The Joker in the movie is a different take on the character. You learn about how he became this way, you know too much about him, you see how human he is, you see how real he feels, you see how anyone of us could become like him. The Joker you know sees the world as a joke but the movie Joker is a victim of a world who saw him as a joke. He’s different but neither version is wrong or is better than the other. They are both effective in their own ways.

I don’t feel like going into the details of Doctor Doom’s story but take a look at this video for a summary:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom