• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think it has to do with most mainstream animation being kid-friendly, and that there's this cultural belief many people have that "kid-friendly" means "exclusively for kids". It comes down to people thinking kids are dumb, and that they shouldn't like things that "dumb kids" like because they're better then that. Basically, it's snobbery.

I don't know if the idea is really dying out that quickly but anime becoming more and more mainstream is probably helping.
I mean why yes, let's have a 10 year old watch South Park or Rick and Morty. I mean it's kids right? Animation is for kids only right, despite the themes of it? Bunch of knobs who say that. It's for all ages.

Anime is helping in that case to prevent it which is great. Hell, part of the reason why I got into the medium was to actively look for anime that proves that opinion wrong, mainly to my brother.

Parasyte - Which is sure as gory with some scenes I have looked at. Like the legendary parasite head thing eats head scene

Kino's Journey - I don't think most of those short stories in the anime would be easy for a kid to comprehend, probably struggle to understand what is going on. Hell the manga is 16+ because of it.

Reminds me of the time one of my bio parents mocked me because I bought a 3+ game. It was Captain Toad.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Animation is a medium, not a genre. A medium that can encompass any genre you can set your mind to. And to me, the best and strongest animated works are the ones that resonate with adults just as much as kids.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms So the sim is postponed?
It is, for now.

I might be able to start it at 7:00 PM PST tonight. 6:00 PM is already out of the question. We'll see if enough people (mostly those who are participating via corresponding districts and tributes, yourself included) are available to watch it by that point in time.

So yeah, we'll see.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It is, for now.

I might be able to start it at 7:00 PM PST tonight. 6:00 PM is already out of the question. We'll see if enough people (mostly those who are participating via corresponding districts and tributes, yourself included) are available to watch it by that point in time.

So yeah, we'll see.
I'd be able to watch it for about an hour and a half.

Got work early in the morning so I can't stay up too late, though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You guys: "Animation has been cinsidered for kids, but thank God Anime is changing that!"
Me who got banned from watching Regular Show and Adventure Time when I was younger
View attachment 282492
I wasn't allowed to watch Spongebob. My mom thought it was too "rude".

...I still watched it anyway.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just beat the big bad of what I assume is the base Persona 4 story.

According to the walkthrough I looked up there's still one last boss fight in the March portion of the game before the ending. So after like 2 months I'm almost done with the game!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've loved watching animated shows and films my whole life and it's a big part of who I am. They've been a big and I'd like to think good influence on me, and they still are.

If we're not talking animated TV that doesn't fall under the category of say, Rick and Morty, then a good animated show respects it's audience members of every age and tells a story with a balanced sense of maturity that allows anyone of any age to enjoy, understand and relate to it. Just because kids can enjoy it doesn't mean it's not made for older audience members, too.

Likewise an animated show doesn't have to incorporate gore or other 18+ to be for adults as well. I feel that shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe fit this category perfectly.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I wasn’t allowed to watch Regular Show. I also wasn’t allowed to watch Pokémon for a while.
I can relate to not being allowed to watch Regular Show, but Pokémon? Jeez.
Then again, I wasn’t allowed to watch Spongebob whenever I was in my Grandma’s house.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm having some timezone issues. SDGQ is doing a Quest 64 run at 5:20 AM EST.

I can't figure out when it actually starts in my timezone. My current time is 8 PM. I think it's like 2:20 AM, but I can't be sure.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Okay, unrelated, but this is the ideal Fighter’s Pass 2.
B7C0C7A0-523C-4761-991F-9D3091362CFB.jpeg
Phoenix fans who don’t even know what S+P is, would you be cool with this?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My parents put almost no restrictions on what I could watch on TV growing up.

I could get away with stuff like from Adult Swim with ease.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Remember kids, Pokémon is bad, it promotes s a t a n i s m
Whatt?? I really hope adults like that are extinct at this point, children deserve to watch Pokémon
My parents put almost no restrictions on what I could watch on TV growing up.

I could get away with stuff like from Adult Swim with ease.
My parents are honestly just dumb about it.
I can watch Adult Swim if I tell them about the show first, but if a YouTuber says **** then I have to turn them off.
I don’t even know anymore.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Whatt?? I really hope adults like that are extinct at this point, children deserve to watch Pokémon

My parents are honestly just dumb about it.
I can watch Adult Swim if I tell them about the show first, but if a YouTuber says **** then I have to turn them off.
I don’t even know anymore.
Once, I asked them “Hey, can I watch Pokemon?” And they replied with “Of course!” So it’s more likely that they thought we didn’t have access to the show, and worded it poorly. They aren’t super strict or anything.

D

Deleted member

I stopped watching Cartoon Network when TTG came in the spotlight.

I do not know how Cartoon Network is now, and I am sure there are some good shows in there, but I feel like when TTG came into the spotlight, it just wasn't for me anymore.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
When I was a kid, I use to carry around a stuffed Raichu plush that was basically my comfort tool when out in public. One day, my mom and I went to the store to buy groceries. A mother of 4 came up to me and tried to take it. My mom intervened, and they got into an argument. The lady said to my mom that the plush comes from, "a cartoon show that teaches kids satanism".

If that woman took that plush, I can almost gurantee that I would of became a demonic child from hell. So its debatable. :troll:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Once, I asked them “Hey, can I watch Pokemon?” And they replied with “Of course!” So it’s more likely that they thought we didn’t have access to the show, and worded it poorly. They aren’t super strict or anything.
Oh, alright.
What did your Gramps have against the Sponge?
My grandma is heavily religious and is the type of person who won’t get me a game I want if it says “crude humor”.
Of course, this was a while ago. She just didn’t like the stuff like butts being shown and people’s faces or skin being torn off.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My only problem is that ignoring how good Skyward Sword is I just don't see a Switch port being worth freaking 70€.

60€ I can maybe stand dissapointingly, but 70€ is just a price I 100% can't afford at all.

Heck, I already have trouble with my parents trying to buy 15€ games so imagine.
Im thinking the port comes with a jog on or something designed to mimic motion controls. Who knows though.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Summing it up with anime and cartoons.

I can prove it wrong with two examples from both east and west that they can prove everyone wrong about animation.

West - Avatar. Who the hell doesn't like this show? Cause it is nothing short of amazing. A simple enough premise that is easy for all ages to understand, great world-building, still damn funny at times, characters have fantastic arcs (I'm Team Toph for my favorite), tells a mature story without making its audience feel dumb and about 10 more reasons. One of my biggest regrets is not watching properly. I watched a few of the episodes a year and half ago and it holds fantastically.

It's one of my favourite Western Animated Shows along with Futurama.

As for East? Uhh, that's a hard choice actually without my personal bias kicking in.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Summing it up with anime and cartoons.

I can prove it wrong with two examples from both east and west that they can prove everyone wrong about animation.

West - Avatar. Who the hell doesn't like this show? Cause it is nothing short of amazing. A simple enough premise that is easy for all ages to understand, great world-building, still damn funny at times, characters have fantastic arcs (I'm Team Toph for my favorite), tells a mature story without making its audience feel dumb and about 10 more reasons. One of my biggest regrets is not watching properly. I watched a few of the episodes a year and half ago and it holds fantastically.

It's one of my favourite Western Animated Shows along with Futurama.

As for East? Uhh, that's a hard choice actually without my personal bias kicking in.
Depends on what Avatar your talking about Aang's show is a masterpiece that I'm surprised got on children's television.

Korra sucks after the first season.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I hate that I'm still waiting for Detective Pikachu Switch news.

You'd think that its movie counterpart being a critical and commercial success last year would have pushed The Pokémon Company to show it off by now (June's Pokémon Presents would have been a wonderful time to do so).

I want to get out of the 3DS game's cliffhanger, dang it! :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom