• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know what, I honestly should have asked this a long time ago:

Who actually plays TCGs here, besides me of course? just curious, for a few reasons.
I used to collect a ton of Pokemon cards back then. Never played it though, mostly because there wasn't anyone. I still know the rules though. I still have my binder full of those and occasionally buy cards to increase the collection..

I also had Yugioh cards, though I never was serious about that. Too bad my mother gave most of them away, so I only have three left now. I wouldn't mind giving at least the online game a try, but the rules scare me. And just how much text a single card can have, kinda feels like it went out of hand somewhere down the line. It sure is intimidating for a newcomer. Maybe I'll try to get one of the recent games for cheap so I can learn the rules.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also if Persona and SMT are one and the same, then does that make Cloud our Kingdom Hearts rep?:yeahboi:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I used to collect a ton of Pokemon cards back then. Never played it though, mostly because there wasn't anyone. I still know the rules though. I still have my binder full of those and occasionally buy cards to increase the collection..

I also had Yugioh cards, though I never was serious about that. Too bad my mother gave most of them away, so I only have three left now. I wouldn't mind giving at least the online game a try, but the rules scare me. And just how much text a single card can have, kinda feels like it went out of hand somewhere down the line. It sure is intimidating for a newcomer. Maybe I'll try to get one of the recent games for cheap so I can learn the rules.
Like I said to the person earlier, I would just start with a budget deck or a structure deck if you want to get back into the game. The hardest thing about learning YGO from my experience is just memorizing all the basic card types: more technical stuff like missing timing, card cost vs card effect, etc, can be learned later on, and once you learn the basics the advanced stuff becomes trivial.

There’s also YGOPro(now know as Project Ignis) which is a free option if you don’t feel like spending any money until you know what you’re doing. Hit me up on Discord if you need any help, assuming you decide to go down this route. I know my stuff and can guide you along pretty easily.

As a side note, if you do go for physical cards, get sleeves and a deck box ASAP. I cannot understate how important getting sleeves is to protecting your cards, even if you just get cheap ultra pro ones, and a deck box is an invaluable investment to protect your sleeves in turn while also protecting your cards from bending from raw pressure(something that would never happen in even the cheapest of Ultra Pro deck boxes)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Still kinda confused as to why there was such a lack of Metal Slug content in Smash with Terry.

We did get some music but no stage cameos, spirits or Mii costumes.

Maybe they couldn't make Metal Slug's designs fit in with the others?

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Also if Persona and SMT are one and the same, then does that make Cloud our Kingdom Hearts rep?:yeahboi:
I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty sure Kingdom Hearts is an entirely different series that just got a crossover.
Persona is literally a spinoff. A sub-series from the same series.
Isn’t this common knowledge??

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Still kinda confused as to why there was such a lack of Metal Slug content in Smash with Terry.

spirits or miis i can't explain but the lack of stage cameos i think is because metal slug is a lot more disconnected from kof than, say, fatal fury. that's not to say metal slug hasn't ever crossed over with other snk franchises but out of all the notable ones, metal slug definitely feels the most like its own thing

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wow, the Corrin talk actually got Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku to put away the Min Min pfps for a bit lol.
Yuppers. To put it into perspective, I've had nothing but Min Min pfps since the announcement of the ARMS fighter back In late March. That's over 4 months. Litterally 1/3 of the entire year

Though I can assure you, it will not be the last. Trust me, when a character gets in Smash, the amount of fan art quadruples, and I've barely even scratched the surface with Min.

But yeah for the time being, gonna give ol Corn some love once again. Probs Byleth too in the near future. Though there's no guarantee I'm not gonna revert back to Min in like a week or something. Lol

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I just defeated Calamity Ganon in Breath of the Wild's Master Mode.

Honestly I really hated regenerating health at first, but after a while that design choice started to make sense to me. If forces you to use more aggressive tactics if you want to take down enemies, and it made getting consistent with flurry rushes and parries more important.

So then there's Calamity Ganon itself. Honestly invincibility + regenerating health is a really annoying combination, but I actually vastly preferred this this version of the battle to the normal mode version. You have to be consistent with using flurry rushes, parries and using your mid-air bow to catch the very tiny windows of vulnerability in order to keep him from healing all his health back. You couldn't just win it through war of attrition by chowing down apples, so it actually felt like a test of my understanding of the game's combat. I do wish they could have found a better way to force this kind of play - perhaps a future Zelda game can include a fullness gauge that limits how much you can heal of food, but for now I think enemies healing actually kind of works.

Dark Beast Ganon was kind of lame though. I get that its supposed to be a cinematic battle like the Divine Beast battles, but at least those guys could be kind of threatening. Ganon just shoots a beam in a straight line and can't really do anything if you're attacking from his side.

Anyway BotW is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and while I didn't like Master Mode at release I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

D

Deleted member

So I just defeated Calamity Ganon in Breath of the Wild's Master Mode.

Honestly I really hated regenerating health at first, but after a while that design choice started to make sense to me. If forces you to use more aggressive tactics if you want to take down enemies, and it made getting consistent with flurry rushes and parries more important.

So then there's Calamity Ganon itself. Honestly invincibility + regenerating health is a really annoying combination, but I actually vastly preferred this this version of the battle to the normal mode version. You have to be consistent with using flurry rushes, parries and using your mid-air bow to catch the very tiny windows of vulnerability in order to keep him from healing all his health back. You couldn't just win it through war of attrition by chowing down apples, so it actually felt like a test of my understanding of the game's combat. I do wish they could have found a better way to force this kind of play - perhaps a future Zelda game can include a fullness gauge that limits how much you can heal of food, but for now I think enemies healing actually kind of works.

Dark Beast Ganon was kind of lame though. I get that its supposed to be a cinematic battle like the Divine Beast battles, but at least those guys could be kind of threatening. Ganon just shoots a beam in a straight line and can't really do anything if you're attacking from his side.

Anyway BotW is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and while I didn't like Master Mode at release I'm glad I gave it a second chance.
I haven’t even beaten ganon yet and I’ve been playing for years lol. Just never gotten around to it because I get sidetracked and do everything BUT fight ganon.

D

Deleted member

I do funny FNAF birthday video.

Also Smashboards is going to die for a day, rip.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yuppers. To put it into perspective, I've had nothing but Min Min pfps since the announcement of the ARMS fighter back In late March. That's over 4 months. Litterally 1/3 of the entire year

Though I can assure you, it will not be the last. Trust me, when a character gets in Smash, the amount of fan art quadruples, and I've barely even scratched the surface with Min.

But yeah for the time being, gonna give ol Corn some love once again. Probs Byleth too in the near future. Though there's no guarantee I'm not gonna revert back to Min in like a week or something. Lol
Props for staying pretty consistent with the theming of your pfps; I'm usually way too indecisive to dedicate the bulk of my avatars to one character for such a long time lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
YO HOLY CRUD, SO MANY PEOPLE JOINED THE SB DISCORD SERVER WITHIN THE LAST FEW HOURS SOLEY BECAUSE OF THE SITE MAINTENANCE, AND I RECOGNIZE LIKE HALF THE NAMES LOL

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Props for staying pretty consistent with the theming of your pfps; I'm usually way too indecisive to dedicate the bulk of my avatars to one character for such a long time lol.
I generally just pick whatever I’m feeling suits me the most, including my name.

D

Deleted member

Like I said to the person earlier, I would just start with a budget deck or a structure deck if you want to get back into the game. The hardest thing about learning YGO from my experience is just memorizing all the basic card types: more technical stuff like missing timing, card cost vs card effect, etc, can be learned later on, and once you learn the basics the advanced stuff becomes trivial.

There’s also YGOPro(now know as Project Ignis) which is a free option if you don’t feel like spending any money until you know what you’re doing. Hit me up on Discord if you need any help, assuming you decide to go down this route. I know my stuff and can guide you along pretty easily.

As a side note, if you do go for physical cards, get sleeves and a deck box ASAP. I cannot understate how important getting sleeves is to protecting your cards, even if you just get cheap ultra pro ones, and a deck box is an invaluable investment to protect your sleeves in turn while also protecting your cards from bending from raw pressure(something that would never happen in even the cheapest of Ultra Pro deck boxes)
I doubt I'll actually buy decks and such, at least not to play as there simply wouldn't be anyone, so digital is all I could play. I'd only buy physical cards for a collection at this point. I'd most likely just go for cute cards, as well as the Red-Eyes for nostalgia's sake.

I'll look up this YGOPro/Project Ignis later, thanks. Right now it's 3am in the middle of a heat wave. Once it cools down I'll have a look.

Don't worry, I still have enough sleeves and other stuff from my Pokemon TCG collecting.

D

Deleted member

How many users are typically in that discord server?
Active users? Like 0. Before today the posts were so slow and infrequent they were split by months. Now it’s starting to speed up a bit.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
>Mini Direct shadow dropped
>Next Sakurai Presents announced for next week
>In the description of the Mini Direct is:
“main, main”
>Identical to the Portal ARG
>Using it will log you into GLaDOS’ main account
>Images of Chell’s render, screenshot of gameplay, etc

I’d literally nut if they made an ARG for the next fighter and it ended up being Chell. That would literally be the most amazing thing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Amazing, how did you learn to draw so well?
Years of practice and some schoolin'. Of course I got a long way to go before I'm at where I want to be at. But I'm getting there. Sloooowly.

Glad people are liking some of my stuff tho. Let's me know the improvements are working.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What's crazy is that Smash has 3 DLC franchises from NES RPGs, but only one actually references the series as a whole.

Joker primarily references Persona 5 (and some of 3 and 4), and the less I say about Cloud and Final Fantasy representation, the better.
There’s multiple final fantasies?

D

Deleted member

Oh.

I'm guessing most of the Social guys hang out in other discord servers instead of the "official" one for SB?
More like there’s no point when we have this thread right here to be frank.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Nah, it's probably mostly due to Terry's content primarily focusing on the 2 franchises he was actually in, being Fatal Fury and KOF. And Samsho has more consistent connections to KOF than Metal Slug does, though they all kind of intermingle together. Still a Spirit of Marco or something would have been cool.

Could be worse, stuff like the Last Blade didn't really get any references at all.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Good Feel has already put a Yoshi game on Switch... so how about they work on a new Wario Land game next? The Switch is so much more powerful then the Wii, just imagine how much more they could do with that style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom