• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also, what you just described is super fun! You feel like an unstoppable god destroying everything in your path! Nothing can stop you, you are king/queen! All bow before your might! It's a power trip. It's exhilarating! It's so god damn fun.
They have 'Easy' mode if you're really that into never having a challenge. :secretkpop:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Speaking of difficult action games, I kind of want to share some of my favorite GameCenter CX episodes. Have started watching the series in order and the will power Arino Kachou and his staff show is amazing.

After spending 9 straight hours trying to beat a single stage in Adventure Island, I would not blame anyone for hating video games. :laugh:

There's a Twitch channel that has the series with subtitles on constant repeat 24/7 if anyone were to ever get bored FYI.

Well. Sigma just destroyed the world because I give up. I've tried this damn fight so many times and I can't get it. I either fail my hadookens and then get all my health drained trying to do the fight legit or I land them and then get decimated by Sigma's Goddard-lookin ass. I'm bored and I'm frustrated and I'm not having any fun. And I've heard this is the most beginner friendly game in the series. So I guess no matter how cool the series looks to me, Mega Man isn't for me. Which really sucks. But I'd rather stop and play a more enjoyable game then give this BS any more of my time.

Seriously, why does TOUCHING an enemy hurt you? They didn't do anything! If I go to war I don't take damage when I poke an enemy combatant. I don't die from petting a tiger, I die from the thing mauling me.
Sigma's dog can definitely be annoying if you miss the Hadouken, but Shotgun Ice does a decent enough job. Sigma's 1st form can be beaten without taking damage due to poor AI. If you immediately wall jump up to the top, Sigma will follow you, drop down when he gets close and he'll slowly come back down; rinse & repeat.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Hate to turn to here, but I need help identifying this song.
http://instagr.am/p/CCht4zDDQ2U/ I’ve seen it in two videos, this one and another, one, which was of a fanmade smash select screen. So it’s most likely one of those select screen songs.
Again, I hate to turn to the social thread on smashboards of all places but I’ve tried constantly and can’t find anything.
Pls help before I die

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hate to turn to here, but I need help identifying this song.
http://instagr.am/p/CCht4zDDQ2U/ I’ve seen it in two videos, this one and another, one, which was of a fanmade smash select screen. So it’s most likely one of those select screen songs.
Again, I hate to turn to the social thread on smashboards of all places but I’ve tried constantly and can’t find anything.
Pls help before I die
the song in Unists Character select screen
"Gathers Under Night"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, what you just described is super fun! You feel like an unstoppable god destroying everything in your path! Nothing can stop you, you are king/queen! All bow before your might! It's a power trip. It's exhilarating! It's so god damn fun.

Also. Punch-Out Wii. Completely different Genre I know, but nothing in that game's combat feels like BS from the game. It all feels like I just need to get better. I need to get faster with my dodging and punching. When I screw up it's my fault and I can get better with practice.
I’ll admit being able to essentially be a god in games(GMOD or Minecraft for example) is often (and can be) very fun and all. But where’s the challenge in that? The journey? For me I find I like the journey more, the adventures and struggles you take before you can just become an unstoppable god of destruction. For me being able to kill everything and anything, do anything I want, steal, murder, etc, often becomes boring to me very quickly.(one of the reasons I dropped Animal Crossing)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If you got hit, it IS your fault.

That's just the rule of video games. Look at action games which are built around weaving and dodging. Getting hit in those games are 100% your fault for not paying attention to your enemy's attacks, it's literally no different here.
Getting hit by an attack? Sure. That's my fault. I should have been better at dodging. The guy is just standing there not doing anything and has me trapped in the top corner of the screen wall jumping because the only thing I can do is fall and get hit and loose my hadooken because he won't goddamn move? That's not my fault. How am I supposed to dodge that? There might as well be a self destruct button.
You just made the game even more unplayable.
Just take the hit and move on.
And then you can't do the hadooken which is basically required to win the fight.

Or you can't get the colored gem and have to start over anyway because what's the point of finishing the stage without getting the gem, you're just wasting your time at that point.

Or any number of examples where not taking damage grants you special rewards but there's literally no point in progressing without them or it's impossible to pass without them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's worse than contact damage tbh.

"WAH........WAH............WAH..........WAH.........WAH!"
bro you ain't even giving me SMW2 flashbacks because i never played yoshis island lmao

source.gif

Shroob

Sup?
Getting hit by an attack? Sure. That's my fault. I should have been better at dodging. The guy is just standing there not doing anything and has me trapped in the top corner of the screen wall jumping because the only thing I can do is fall and get hit and loose my hadooken because he won't goddamn move? That's not my fault. How am I supposed to dodge that? There might as well be a self destruct button.

And then you can't do the hadooken which is basically required to win the fight.

Or you can't get the colored gem and have to start over anyway because what's the point of finishing the stage without getting the gem, you're just wasting your time at that point.

Or any number of examples where not taking damage grants you special rewards but there's literally no point in progressing without them or it's impossible to pass without them.
How about instead of relying on a super op move that requires a tedious button combo, you use the regular attack?

It sounds like this all comes back to the Hadouken.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not this game. It's normal and hard. No easy. Because some people seem to think easy mode existing is a sin of the highest order.
Because you probably shouldn't be playing it if you're that upset over it. There's no need to babyproof it for literal infants.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm grateful that Snake has such a contrast of views and opinions on these kinds of things because it makes conversations here more interesting. When's the last time you defended getting hit by contact? You didn't. You never have until now.

D

Deleted member

Not this game. It's normal and hard. No easy. Because some people seem to think easy mode existing is a sin of the highest order.
IMO not every game needs an easy mode.

A game meant for kids or a generally younger audience that might not understand how games work? Sure I can see it.

Older audiences, people who almost certainly grew up with and at the very least understand the fundamentals of the game? Debatable.

Like if your game is extremely complex with tons of layers interacting on one another(say Breath of the Wild) an easy mode or a sectioned-off tutorial area is a good idea. But something like a fighting game, an exploration game, games and genres where it can be reasonably assumed the people playing know how to play and don’t need to be handheld?(such as platformers which I am sure every single person here has played at least one of) I dunno about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’ll admit being able to essentially be a god in games(GMOD or Minecraft for example) is often (and can be) very fun and all. But where’s the challenge in that? The journey? For me I find I like the journey more, the adventures and struggles you take before you can just become an unstoppable god of destruction. For me being able to kill everything and anything, do anything I want, steal, murder, etc, often becomes boring to me very quickly.(one of the reasons I dropped Animal Crossing)
That's you I guess. For me, it's escapism. It makes me feel powerful when ordinarily I feel powerless and weak and scared all the time.
How about instead of relying on a super op move that requires a tedious button combo, you use the regular attack?

It sounds like this all comes back to the Hadouken.
Because the bosses have undodgeable attacks and don't suffer from Spark Mandrill syndrome like every other boss. So even if you know the weaknesses it still becomes impossible to do all three in one life bar. I tried grinding to fill up my subtanks but that did **** all to help so.... *shrugs*
Because you probably shouldn't be playing it if you're that upset over it. There's no need to babyproof it for literal infants.
I see no reason for making it so that everyone who picks up your game can have fun with it. And some people just don't like difficulty. It's not fun for them. So why not make it so they can have fun with your product too? They spent money on it after all. And you want them to buy more of your games, right?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Well. Sigma just destroyed the world because I give up. I've tried this damn fight so many times and I can't get it. I either fail my hadookens and then get all my health drained trying to do the fight legit or I land them and then get decimated by Sigma's Goddard-lookin ass. I'm bored and I'm frustrated and I'm not having any fun. And I've heard this is the most beginner friendly game in the series. So I guess no matter how cool the series looks to me, Mega Man isn't for me. Which really sucks. But I'd rather stop and play a more enjoyable game then give this BS any more of my time.

Seriously, why does TOUCHING an enemy hurt you? They didn't do anything! If I go to war I don't take damage when I poke an enemy combatant. I don't die from petting a tiger, I die from the thing mauling me.
What have you done Snake?
You just sent this thread into chaos!

{leaves to grab some popcorn}

Shroob

Sup?
That's you I guess. For me, it's escapism. It makes me feel powerful when ordinarily I feel powerless and weak and scared all the time.

Because the bosses have undodgeable attacks and don't suffer from Spark Mandrill syndrome like every other boss. So even if you know the weaknesses it still becomes impossible to do all three in one life bar. I tried grinding to fill up my subtanks but that did **** all to help so.... *shrugs*

I see no reason for making it so that everyone who picks up your game can have fun with it. And some people just don't like difficulty. It's not fun for them. So why not make it so they can have fun with your product too? They spent money on it after all. And you want them to buy more of your games, right?
"Undodgeable attacks"

Except they're not.

I hate saying this unironically but

git gud

There are countless no-hit/Megabuster only runs on YouTube, to say they're "Undodgeable" is just a way to say "I suck at dodging."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Aren't you trying to get Mega Man, the notorious difficult platformer, to become easier here?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
IMO not every game needs an easy mode.

A game meant for kids or a generally younger audience that might not understand how games work? Sure I can see it.

Older audiences, people who almost certainly grew up with and at the very least understand the fundamentals of the game? Debatable.

Like if your game is extremely complex with tons of layers interacting on one another(say Breath of the Wild) an easy mode or a sectioned-off tutorial area is a good idea. But something like a fighting game, an exploration game, games and genres where it can be reasonably assumed the people playing know how to play and don’t need to be handheld?(such as platformers which I am sure every single person here has played at least one of) I dunno about that.
I just don't agree.
What have you done Snake?
You just sent this thread into chaos!

{leaves to grab some popcorn}
It's my Maverick name. Chaos Serpent.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Because some people seem to think easy mode existing is a sin of the highest order.
Snake, I couldn't care less if you played Mellow Mode on Yoshi's Crafted World, a game already so easy to begin with. In fact, most people wouldn't care if you played easy mode assuming you don't flaunt it like it's a virtue :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

I just don't agree.

I kinda figured.
I’m honestly kinda suprised you of all people don’t understand basic video game mechanics such as “touching enemies=hurt”: I haven't touched a video game in months(too busy with life and card games)now and I’m confident enough in saying that I can easily pick up my controller and beat BOTW for the first time in years. Hell I have my switch right next to me in my backpack lol

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This reminds me of something I watched last year or so about people trying to make the Cuphead devs make the game easier or how they should be required to make it easier for everyone to be able to play through it all as if people are entitled to being able to beat a game that’s meant to be hard (I at least remember the dude talking about how other people were saying it should be required of game creators like a weird law or something idk).

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"Undodgeable attacks"

Except they're not.

I hate saying this unironically but

git gud

There are countless no-hit/Megabuster only runs on YouTube, to say they're "Undodgeable" is just a way to say "I suck at dodging."
Except they are. Trying to dodge the multi hitting laser attacks? Nope, they're too close together and you don't have a slide so ding! You get hit. Nothing you can do about it. Just successfully wall jumped to avoid his attack and going back down to start attacking, well no. You can't because wall jumping doesn't give you quite enough distance and the back tip of your foot just barely grazes his body so DING! You take damage. Those lasers you have to hide under the platforms to avoid? Ding! You get instakilled because one tiny invisible pixel of your foot was too close to the laser's god dam glow. That's not fun or fair, that's the game being picky.
Aren't you trying to get Mega Man, the notorious difficult platformer, to become easier here?
Yes. Because it would make it more fun.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Giving games that are designed to be challenging and difficult a forced easy mode is gonna get you roasted for using it.

1594525296286.png

Remember this ****?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also if you're just gonna reset the moment you take damage then you're not going to actually learn. You're literally making it harder on yourself.

Shroob

Sup?
Except they are. Trying to dodge the multi hitting laser attacks? Nope, they're too close together and you don't have a slide so ding! You get hit. Nothing you can do about it. Just successfully wall jumped to avoid his attack and going back down to start attacking, well no. You can't because wall jumping doesn't give you quite enough distance and the back tip of your foot just barely grazes his body so DING! You take damage. Those lasers you have to hide under the platforms to avoid? Ding! You get instakilled because one tiny invisible pixel of your foot was too close to the laser's god dam glow. That's not fun or fair, that's the game being picky.

Yes. Because it would make it more fun.
To you.

Not every game is meant for every player.

Also, if this video from 10 years ago can prove it's possible to beat Sigma with no damage taken, I don't believe you.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, I couldn't care less if you played Mellow Mode on Yoshi's Crafted World, a game already so easy to begin with. In fact, most people wouldn't care if you played easy mode assuming you don't flaunt it like it's a virtue :yoshi:
Wish more people were like you. Sadly that opinion isn't common and easy modes still aren't in every game.
I kinda figured.
I’m honestly kinda suprised you of all people don’t understand basic video game mechanics such as “touching enemies=hurt”: I haven't touched a video game in months(too busy with life and card games)now and I’m confident enough in saying that I can easily pick up my controller and beat BOTW for the first time in years. Hell I have my switch right next to me in my backpack lol
I understand that it is a thing. What I don't understand is why it's a thing and who thought it was a good idea in this context.
This reminds me of something I watched last year or so about people trying to make the Cuphead devs make the game easier or how they should be required to make it easier for everyone to be able to play through it all as if people are entitled to being able to beat a game that’s meant to be hard.
So, the game is advertising a service. A fun journey to completion and a tonne of cool stuff to see and do. But you may or may not be able to actually see and do any of it. Luck of the draw if you are skilled enough and patient enough. Isn't that gambling? And isn't gambling illegal?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Having an easy mode doesn't really hurt at all, but I don't see the reason to lose sleep over the lack of one.

Unless the game is like unbearably hard, loke to the point that it's unplayable, which tbh, no game really is except for like Ghost and Goblins on the NES.

Shroob

Sup?
Wish more people were like you. Sadly that opinion isn't common and easy modes still aren't in every game.

I understand that it is a thing. What I don't understand is why it's a thing and who thought it was a good idea in this context.

So, the game is advertising a service. A fun journey to completion and a tonne of cool stuff to see and do. But you may or may not be able to actually see and do any of it. Luck of the draw if you are skilled enough and patient enough. Isn't that gambling? And isn't gambling illegal?
"Gambling"

No, it's not. You bought a game. If you're too **** to beat it, that's not on the dev.

Gambling is gacha games or lootboxes, not buying a game and getting exactly what you paid for.

D

Deleted member

Uhhh, it rewards players for being nimble and quick on their feet? That’s kinda the crux of the genres it’s most prominentlly in(Platformers, shooters, RPGs, etc)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No, it's me looking up a Let's Play of a 15-year old game on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom