• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I just got a cool shot of a lighting system while driving with my dad lol with lightning.

Wish I could share it but I don’t have my laptop on me so eh

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Doesn't the Hadouken 1-shot everything? Or am I thinking of a different X game.

I'd say it's a fair trade-off for that level of power.
Also. You can't get it wiithout getting every item capsul, heart container, and sub-tank in the game first. Which means you've also beaten every maverick hunter since you need every weapon to get all that. So at that point, I think I've earned a one hit easy kill on the final boss.

D

Deleted member

It’s 10 pm here and we’re still an hour away from our destination ahhhhhhhhhhh

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well. Sigma just destroyed the world because I give up. I've tried this damn fight so many times and I can't get it. I either fail my hadookens and then get all my health drained trying to do the fight legit or I land them and then get decimated by Sigma's Goddard-lookin ass. I'm bored and I'm frustrated and I'm not having any fun. And I've heard this is the most beginner friendly game in the series. So I guess no matter how cool the series looks to me, Mega Man isn't for me. Which really sucks. But I'd rather stop and play a more enjoyable game then give this BS any more of my time.

Seriously, why does TOUCHING an enemy hurt you? They didn't do anything! If I go to war I don't take damage when I poke an enemy combatant. I don't die from petting a tiger, I die from the thing mauling me.

Shroob

Sup?
Well. Sigma just destroyed the world because I give up. I've tried this damn fight so many times and I can't get it. I either fail my hadookens and then get all my health drained trying to do the fight legit or I land them and then get decimated by Sigma's Goddard-lookin ass. I'm bored and I'm frustrated and I'm not having any fun. And I've heard this is the most beginner friendly game in the series. So I guess no matter how cool the series looks to me, Mega Man isn't for me. Which really sucks. But I'd rather stop and play a more enjoyable game then give this BS any more of my time.

Seriously, why does TOUCHING an enemy hurt you? They didn't do anything! If I go to war I don't take damage when I poke an enemy combatant. I don't die from petting a tiger, I die from the thing mauling me.
Touching an enemy hurts you in almost every game ever that's a platformer/adventure game. That's pretty darn basic.

Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Castlevania
etc etc etc

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And I ****ing hate it no matter what game it's in.
Enemies are obstacles.

Damage is punishment for failing to avoid said obstacle.

If you were forced to jump hurdles, would you complain to the gym coach for failing to jump the hurdle? Enemy placement punishes bad game knowledge and rewards experienced movement.

D

Deleted member

Snake..........

that’s been the industry standard since the original Mario Brothers!! very few games(nay essentially none in the platformer/exploration genre of games) don’t have this as a primary thing.

I could give an entire list!

Minecraft, literally every Zelda Game, literally every Mario game, every Kingdom Hearts game(maybe not that one honestly)

You can see where I’m going with this and I’m tired af so for my sanity I’ll stop there.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Enemies are obstacles.

Damage is punishment for failing to avoid said obstacle.

If you were forced to jump hurdles, would you complain to the gym coach for failing to jump the hurdle? Enemy placement punishes bad game knowledge and rewards experienced movement.
When you fail at jumping hurdles, you don't loose your leg. You just fall onto the ground and have to start over. Why can't touching an enemy just knock you down and cause you to have to restart the challenge?

To be fair, I'm talking mostly combat platformers like Mega Man where there's more to do then just jump. Like, if I'm fighting Sigma in an arena with no pits and no actual platforming, just testing me and how I can jump and shoot, then how does touch damage make sense there? If I fail to dodge him appropriately the punishment should be getting hit by an attack. Not touching him and suddenly having a micro-seizure.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just knew that only you can get upset over a mechanic generations of gamers have basically taken for granted. :yoshi:
If something in a game stops me from having fun, I *****. If something in a game causes me a failure that I feel was unfair and not caused by my own shortcomings, I *****. If something doesn't make sense, I *****.
Game mechanic: *exists*
You get points. That was really funny.

Shroob

Sup?
When you fail at jumping hurdles, you don't loose your leg. You just fall onto the ground and have to start over. Why can't touching an enemy just knock you down and cause you to have to restart the challenge?

To be fair, I'm talking mostly combat platformers like Mega Man where there's more to do then just jump. Like, if I'm fighting Sigma in an arena with no pits and no actual platforming, just testing me and how I can jump and shoot, then how does touch damage make sense there? If I fail to dodge him appropriately the punishment should be getting hit by an attack. Not touching him and suddenly having a micro-seizure.
I dunno about you.

But if I fall onto the ground, that **** hurts.

And also? Because if bosses didn't do damage on contact, you can just run away the whole time, get in their face and fire away with no consequence. Imagine just standing in a boss' face, whaling on them while they can only fight back via their super telegraphed attacks.

That's not very fun. The fact that the boss can actually hurt me outside of easily dodged attacks makes the boss an actual threat.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
THATS EVEN WORSE SNAKE LMAO
How? In many games like this, in my experience, the game becomes unplayable once you start taking hits. So I'd rather just have the game automatically start me over rather then having to either soldier on ahead having less fun, or having to pause, then find quit, then wait through a loading screen, then try again, then watch another loading screen, then get to the point I was stuck at and **** up again, then pause, then find quit, then wait through a loading screen....

You see where I'm going with this?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If something in a game stops me from having fun, I *****. If something in a game causes me a failure that I feel was unfair and not caused by my own shortcomings, I *****. If something doesn't make sense, I *****.

You've played plenty of games where enemies hurt on contact and you've said you liked them. I get that Mega Man X is hard to the point where you might not have fun with it, but that's not the fault of the general mechanic :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?

If you got hit, it IS your fault.

That's just the rule of video games. Look at action games which are built around weaving and dodging. Getting hit in those games are 100% your fault for not paying attention to your enemy's attacks, it's literally no different here.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How? In many games like this, in my experience, the game becomes unplayable once you start taking hits. So I'd rather just have the game automatically start me over rather then having to either soldier on ahead having less fun, or having to pause, then find quit, then wait through a loading screen, then try again, then watch another loading screen, then get to the point I was stuck at and **** up again, then pause, then find quit, then wait through a loading screen....

You just made the game even more unplayable.
Just take the hit and move on.

D

Deleted member

This entire chain is so you Snake lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Play Kirby if you're having that much of an issue with it lol

D

Deleted member

I love how Kirby handles the whole contact damage. Walking into a Waddle Dee hurts you, but kills them. Gotta admire that pink, walking black hole.

Anyway, I'll be away from home for like 2 weeks, so I might not be around during that time. Depends on if it's possible or not.

Happy beef day
Thanks, very meat of you. I'm sorry, that was terrible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno about you.

But if I fall onto the ground, that **** hurts.
But it was still the fall that hurt you. Not touching the damn hurdle.
And also? Because if bosses didn't do damage on contact, you can just run away the whole time, get in their face and fire away with no consequence. Imagine just standing in a boss' face, whaling on them while they can only fight back via their super telegraphed attacks.
Those super telegraphed attacks still hit me quite a damn lot.

Also, what you just described is super fun! You feel like an unstoppable god destroying everything in your path! Nothing can stop you, you are king/queen! All bow before your might! It's a power trip. It's exhilarating! It's so god damn fun.

Also. Punch-Out Wii. Completely different Genre I know, but nothing in that game's combat feels like BS from the game. It all feels like I just need to get better. I need to get faster with my dodging and punching. When I screw up it's my fault and I can get better with practice.

No matter how much I practice, I'll still be ****ed if Sigma and his dog even so much as touch me one damn time. That's not my fault. No amount of skill can mitigate that.

Shroob

Sup?
But it was still the fall that hurt you. Not touching the damn hurdle.

Those super telegraphed attacks still hit me quite a damn lot.

Also, what you just described is super fun! You feel like an unstoppable god destroying everything in your path! Nothing can stop you, you are king/queen! All bow before your might! It's a power trip. It's exhilarating! It's so god damn fun.

Also. Punch-Out Wii. Completely different Genre I know, but nothing in that game's combat feels like BS from the game. It all feels like I just need to get better. I need to get faster with my dodging and punching. When I screw up it's my fault and I can get better with practice.

No matter how much I practice, I'll still be ****ed if Sigma and his dog even so much as touch me one damn time. That's not my fault. No amount of skill can mitigate that.
"Not touching the damn hurdle"

Depends on multiple things. Did the hurdle snap? That could hurt REAL bad. Did I jump but snag my foot on it? Suddenly, it's crushing my balls.

Not everyone wants to be an "Unstoppable god" when they play games. When I pay 60$ for a game, I don't want to be babied. I want to have fun, which means I want to at the very least be challenged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom