• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
ayy unemplayed and almost broke gang, raise your hands. I litersly made a paypal becaude recent stuff has ran my bank account dry and I cant even get a job
I was employed before the Coronavirus, but the virus made my workplace go out of business.
But I go to an orientation tomorrow for a new job.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
What if SEGA released a new Ultimate Retro Gaming console. It could play Masyer System games, Genesis games, SEGA CD games, 32X games; Saturn Games, Dreamcast games, heck even game gear games. Utilizing original hardware for universal backwards compatibility, All with HD upscaling tech implemented.
for crying out loud snake, i am throwing money at the screen right now
Since we’re on the topic, what do you guys think is the most underrated Sonic music track?
people always talk about can you feel the sunshine or super sonic racing

but they forget the real banger

D

Deleted member

Stan Sonic Mania.

Play Sakura Wars PS4/Streets Of Rage 4

Buy the Alex Kidd remake

Dearly the SEGA fan.
I bought Sakura Wars to support the franchise, just haven't played it yet, does that count?
Also there's an Alex Kidd remake? Haven't heard about it at all.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
for crying out loud snake, i am throwing money at the screen right now

people always talk about can you feel the sunshine or super sonic racing

but they forget the real banger
Back in Time tho.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For real though, Sonic R had a fantastic soundtrack in general.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
While on the subject of Sonic music, I put together a list of potential character themes for my Sonic Clash roster to be remixed to suit a fighting game. This only covers the Sonic characters atm:

D

Deleted member

I bought Sakura Wars to support the franchise, just haven't played it yet, does that count?
Also there's an Alex Kidd remake? Haven't heard about it at all.
You have missed out on the cool news:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They gave Ash Galarian Farfetch’d!

That’s a pretty sweet choice since he will likely get sirfetch’d.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have missed out on the cool news:
That's neat, Sega's on a roll with their old IPs lately. I don't have a Master System, so I might pick up the remake when it comes out next year.

Here's hoping Sega will revive F-Zero next, but said studio pretty much exclusively makes the Yakuza games nowadays. They did bring back Monkey Ball though, so there's some hope, as long as Nintendo plays nice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, so what's this "scandal" in the Smash community people talk about here? :080:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, so what's this "scandal" in the Smash community people talk about here? :080:
Several top members of the community have been outed as pedophiles, rapists and/or statutory rapists.

Some of these people include D1, Keitaro, Nairo, Anti, Zero, Cinnie and more.

It ain't pretty and the scandal is very valid.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Long or the short of it, many high level players were accused of and admitted to a variety of sex crimes including statutory ****.

There's an article about it on the front page.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Several top members of the community have been outed as pedophiles, rapists and/or statutory rapists.

Some of these people include D1, Keitaro, Nairo, Anti, Zero, Cinnie and more.

It ain't pretty and the scandal is very valid.
HOLY ****....!

That's terrible. How did this ever happen and go unnoticed?

D

Deleted member

Cool that sega’s giving some attention to their fallen mascot. Maybe he should join smash next.
As much as I would legit love that to happen, I never can figure out a good Fighter moveset for him at all (and when I was able to give Pauline a moveset It does feel weird).

I could however see him getting a Mii costume with another SEGA character (personally betting on Sakura from Sakura Wars, Axel Stone, Beat or a Phantasy Star character).
Billy Hatcher also seems plausible for a Mii.

But yeah, if somehow Sakurai made Alex Kidd work as a fighter I would be hyped as frick.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
HOLY ****....!

The way these things usually happen unfortunately:

1. Many of the perpetrators (such as Nairo, Zero, and D1) were highly respected and iconic members of the community. It's likely the victims were afraid to come out and face the social backlash of accusing popular figures of these heinous acts. It wasn't until CaptainZack, a player that most had heard of, launched his allegations against Nairo that there was enough skepticism in the community for more obscure members like Puppeh to discuss negative experiences with top level players and not fear social retaliation.

2. Smash Tournaments in general are extremely informal and lacked many rules to prevent these things from happening. There were no rules about minors needing parental supervision, so adults were basically free to mingle with children in whatever way they wanted. I believe I also heard a story about how many adult players would buy drinks and give them to younger players if the venue served alcohol, but I can't find the exact post that discussed that so that could be he said she said. Thankfully, tournaments are starting to wise up and put in rules that should've been there since day 1 like "If you're under 16, you need a parent/guardian with you".

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's a general conversation to be had about entitlement among Smash fans and varying levels of toxicity about characters or speculation, but the contemporary scandal feels something very particular to the competitive scene specifically. As more and more stories come out it feels like the worst combination of a very insulated environment with no real oversight and a lot of vulnerable people becoming easy targets of prominent figures that have been able to mask their worst aspects. The concurrent controversy with Mr WIzard shows how its a trend existing within the broader FGC to some degree as well.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Live Life from Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't get enough attention, IMO.

I know that some people associate Crush 40 with "cheesy butt rock" but that song holds a really nice message.

D

Deleted member

Live Life from Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't get enough attention, IMO.

I know that some people associate Crush 40 with "cheesy butt rock" but that song holds a really nice message.
The people who complain a song is too cheesy kinda annoy me, ngl.

My favourite song in the entire Transformers series is about daring to keep pushing forward and standing for your friends:

I feel songs like these do mean a lot nowadays.

And yeah, most of Crush 40's songs are really good bops.

D

Deleted member

I could however see him getting a Mii costume with another SEGA character (personally betting on Sakura from Sakura Wars, Axel Stone, Beat or a Phantasy Star character).
Billy Hatcher also seems plausible for a Mii.

But yeah, if somehow Sakurai made Alex Kidd work as a fighter I would be hyped as frick.
I don't use Miis, but I'd totally buy more costumes if they came with music, which sadly has only been the case with two indie characters. Like, give me the biker dude from Super Hang-On with "Outrun A Crisis" and I'd totally jump at it. Also missed opportunity to give Jacky some OutRun music as a nod to Sonic All-Stars Racing.

As for Sakura, while a Mii costume would be fine, I'd actually prefer to see her playable, especially with the potential mecha gimmick.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ultimately, it's a good thing when people come forward. It sucks that people aren't who we thought they were but we can now move forward, hopefully all as wiser people.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't use Miis, but I'd totally buy more costumes if they came with music, which sadly has only been the case with two indie characters. Like, give me the biker dude from Super Hang-On with "Outrun A Crisis" and I'd totally jump at it. Also missed opportunity to give Jacky some OutRun music as a nod to Sonic All-Stars Racing.

As for Sakura, while a Mii costume would be fine, I'd actually prefer to see her playable, especially with the potential mecha gimmick.
Yeah, Sakura being a fighter and using her mech would be really dope.

Extra points if she has Amamiya from the PS4 game as an alt.

SKX31

Smash Master
HOLY ****....!

Oh boy, that's another thing in of itself. Beyond the victims being afraid to come out (justifiably so as Garteam pointed out):

A massive part of the problem was that adults and teens lived together in the same house during tournaments with no supervision. And with alcohol involved. And a certain house (Sky's House) was particularily notorious since it housed top players regularily players (CaptainZack, who was teenage and thus minor, and Ally, both banned for match-fixing last year amidst rumors that they... well, yeah) Nairo, ranked #4 worldwide before all this came out, recently got outed as having... gotten together with Zack. He's not the only top player involved in that house, FTR. Just the highest profile. CaptainZack did come out with the allegations, but that's a case where no one was in the right.

Cinnie's actions were particularily nasty, but that's another thing where it was really difficult for her victims to come out.

****, typing it out makes me feel like I need to puke.

Ultimately, it's a good thing when people come forward. It sucks that people aren't who we through they were but we can now move forward, hopefully all as wiser people.
Yea, if there's one good thing coming from this, it's that a lot of people in the scene like VikkiKitty, TKBreezy (both commentators) and Leffen etc. have been vocally calling the nasty stuff out for what it is and demanded massive changes to the scene. So it is at least greatly reduced. And that many tournament organizers are developing a FGC-wide Code of Conduct and ways for people to reach out if needed. People are also starting to discuss heavier restrictions on alcohol at tournaments and whether after-parties should even be a thing anymore. Alongside the suggestion that minors should not be allowed without a guardian.

Coney's video "Smash needs to grow up" might be of interest too.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
ayo guess whats, There was a turtle traveling in my backyard yesterday
I was employed before the Coronavirus, but the virus made my workplace go out of business.
But I go to an orientation tomorrow for a new job.
Ive long since given up hope for looking for a job after 4 failures

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
???

You literally brought up cancel culture and how it doesn't let people learn from their mistakes when we're discussimg Smash players and their awful crimes that they did. Someone asked what will happen to them, and you decided to bring up how cancel culture is cruel, and doesn't allow second chances. And then you said that you'll continue to watch them if they learn from their mistakes. Like pedophiles and abusers should be given a platform again if they admitted that they were wrong, as if they aren't gonna go right back to their tendencies ones they get they're redose of clout.

I'm sorry, but if that's not what you meant, then you did a terrible job and explaining your point.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVuEST8RdL8&feature=youtu.be

Here is someone that is innocent. Caught up in everyones anger.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sracdd

Also proves my point on being patient and waiting. But nooooo. Cancel culture does not care about the victims. Only feeling superior or "good" about onesself.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yea, if there's one good thing coming from this, it's that a lot of people in the scene like VikkiKitty, TKBreezy (both commentators) and Leffen etc. have been vocally calling the nasty stuff out for what it is and demanded massive changes to the scene. So it is at least greatly reduced. And that many tournament organizers are developing a FGC-wide Code of Conduct and ways for people to reach out if needed. People are also starting to discuss heavier restrictions on alcohol at tournaments and whether after-parties should even be a thing anymore. Alongside the suggestion that minors should not be allowed without a guardian.

Coney's video "Smash needs to grow up" might be of interest too.
A code of conduct is definitely needed, especially with events as large as these. Competitive gaming has gone beyond dorm common room tournaments and needs to behave as such. I remember there was a lot of fighting game competitors speaking out in favour of trash-talk a few years back (which is the oppostie of good sportspersonship) so it's probably been that way for a while.

Though there is a lot of irony in the fact the person who cut DOA6 out of EVO while they were on stage and live for "core values" was the one responsible for the worst of the allegations.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A code of conduct is definitely needed, especially with events as large as these. Competitive gaming has gone beyond dorm common room tournaments and needs to behave as such. I remember there was a lot of fighting game competitors speaking out in favour of trash-talk a few years back (which is the oppostie of good sportspersonship) so it's probably been that way for a while.

Though there is a lot of irony in the fact the person who cut DOA6 out of EVO while they were on stage and live for "core values" was the one responsible for the worst of the allegations.
the DOA ladies were too old for him

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! :secretkpop:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom