• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Helix died for our cytosines. As someone who knows very little about ARMS, Helix always had the coolest looking design.

(Also hello again everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve popped up here)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To all those doing Star Wars memes, you all have nothing on me, All because...

So don't try it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The new Dragon Ball Super chapter was so goddamn disappointing man.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Who is it? To be frank

They know 'who' it is, but all they've said is that "Saying the gender would make it too obvious".
I mean you could honestly say that about it either gender. For males it’s:
Springman or tron or ninjara.

For females its:

MinnMin or Twintelle.

With most going the former because she won the tournament which I would say is more obvious then them actually upgrading an assist trophy.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean you could honestly say that about it either gender. For males it’s:
Springman or tron or ninjara.

For females its:

MinnMin or Twintelle.

With most going the former because she won the tournament which I would say is more obvious then them actually upgrading an assist trophy.
To be honest, would you consider Tron or Ninjara as "obvious" for guys? Compared to Spring MAN, how often do those get talked about? I hear nothing in regards to Spring Tron outside of "He'll replace Spring Man as an assist trophy."

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also don’t forget Nintendo Europe Tweeted out yesterday about how the cuphead fight changes if you have the costume.

Which is a very interesting time to bring up how spirit battles can be altered because of a character.

Makes me think it’s a spirit that gets promoted and likely Min-Min. Plus that opens the floodgates and as I said before,

I still bet the E3 reveal was going to be like this:

“surprise it’s Min-Min! We upgraded her spirit! Speaking of spirits:”

*Cue Geno Reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
Also don’t forget Nintendo Europe Tweeted out yesterday about how the cuphead fight changes if you have the costume.

Which is a very interesting time to bring up how spirit battles can be altered because of a character.

Makes me think it’s a spirit that gets promoted and likely Min-Min. Plus that opens the floodgates and as I said before,

I still bet the E3 reveal was going to be like this:

“surprise it’s Min-Min! We upgraded her spirit! Speaking of spirits:”

*Cue Geno Reveal.
I mean, they've already said we're not getting a 2nd character reveal, and considering the presentation is 35 minutes, I seriously doubt anything was cut out of it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I liked what I played in Sword and Shield. I still like the character designs and the world. I was excited to play potential DLC and future installments. But now I wouldn't be able to enjoy either and that disappoints me. I also have just seen a lot of general hatred towards linear games, with people using the term linear like it's a flaw. Which is upsetting to someone who just doesn't like open worlds and exploration and feels that they take away from cohesive and interesting game design. And if the natural progression of the pokemon franchise means boring open world design where depth and story are sacraficed for the sake of "exploration" and "customization" then I don't know what I ever saw in the franchise to begin with.
The issue with sword and shield isn't that it's linear. ALL Pokemon games are linear at their core.

It's that sword and shield are TOO linear. The routes feel like hallways and there's nothing to find if you decide to go off the straight path the game set out for you.

To change the topic,
what mii fighter would replicate the “oh my god they actually did it” feeling Sans gave people?
In my opinion maybe a popular 3rd party could do it, but I doubt it. It would have to be a 4th party character to really replicate that feeling.
Jotaro mii outfits, anyone?

Guess we gonna bust huh
Not really Jotaro but I would love a mii fighter outfit that uses that retro Japanese street punk look that Jotaro has.

I love that look.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
To be honest, would you consider Tron or Ninjara as "obvious" for guys? Compared to Spring MAN, how often do those get talked about? I hear nothing in regards to Spring Tron outside of "He'll replace Spring Man as an assist trophy."
I saw a lot of talk for both and a decent amount towards max. But then ninjara dropped off because he’s a ninja.

Spring Man would be obvious but I also would believe they promote a spirit before a assist trophy because the later is more effort. But who knows.

I mean, they've already said we're not getting a 2nd character reveal, and considering the presentation is 35 minutes, I seriously doubt anything was cut out of it.
I’m not saying they drop the fighter reveal this presentation, but I do think we will get an announcement that FP 7 will have their trailer Dropped soon in a live event like Robin’s because I think the timeline adds up and that trailer was Ready before E3 got cancelled but that’s my personal speculation.

I was saying that if Nintendo had an E3 direct that’s what I’m betting was going to go down but has now been changed thanks to the pandemic

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aw man Inuit Mythology has some really awesome creatures. Obviously the Akhlut is one of them, an orca/wolf spirit which when in the ocean takes the form of an orca but when on land the form of an orca/wolf.

There's also the Qalupalik, basically the Inuit's Bogeyman where as a means of children to behave otherwise these fish-human like creatures will snatch them away never to be seen again.

Amarok, an massive wolf far bigger then even an elephant.

Adlet, basically Inuit werewolves.

That's not also factoring in on an 10 legged polar bear known as the Qupqugiaq. Obviously far more bigger and deadlier then regular polar bears.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Here’s some food for thought:
That username though lmao

Shroob

Sup?
Here’s some food for thought:
That username though lmao
Could mean a lot of things tbf. Nintendo scrapped an entire E3 this year, so they probably have a bit to show off.

LethalHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
LethalHeroX120
YOOOO I finally beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake after putting it off for work.

Not a 10/10 but damn it that game is amazing. It makes it even sweeter when you play the original FF7. But of course, the issue now is that I don't know what else to play :cry:.

Not sure if I should start playing Horizon Zero Dawn or Doom Eternal.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The issue with sword and shield isn't that it's linear. ALL Pokemon games are linear at their core.

It's that sword and shield are TOO linear. The routes feel like hallways and there's nothing to find if you decide to go off the straight path the game set out for you.

Not really Jotaro but I would love a mii fighter outfit that uses that retro Japanese street punk look that Jotaro has.

I love that look.
And if you like linear games and don't bother with exploring anyway, this is something you just don't notice or care about. If you have no desire to explore, it's actually a blessing. Because there have been many a non-linear game that I've played where I just get lost and frustrated because I can't figure my way around the landscape and can't just run straight to my objective. This is not an issue when I just have to run down a hallway and participate in the main actually fun aspect of the game that I bought it for. Be that battling or platforming or whatever. It makes it more fun. Not to mention completing it feels way more attainable because there's usually less stuff to do. Which contrarily actually makes me play it more. For an example, i played the entirety of the God of War series last year, and I go back and replay 3 all the time. Have I even touched the PS4 game since I barrelled my way through the main campaign? No. Because it's too big. Replaying it just doesn't seem appealing to me because it's just too damn big and long winded. The same would apply to SwSh if you could actually, you know, start a second file (why on earth they don't let you do that is beyond me? What if you want to play the story again?). Meanwhile all the DLC promises me is getting lost and frustrated with no real clear direction and a homogenized single map with no aspect of progression or varied locals.

Shroob

Sup?
And if you like linear games and don't bother with exploring anyway, this is something you just don't notice or care about. If you have no desire to explore, it's actually a blessing. Because there have been many a non-linear game that I've played where I just get lost and frustrated because I can't figure my way around the landscape and can't just run straight to my objective. This is not an issue when I just have to run down a hallway and participate in the main actually fun aspect of the game that I bought it for. Be that battling or platforming or whatever. It makes it more fun. Not to mention completing it feels way more attainable because there's usually less stuff to do. Which contrarily actually makes me play it more. For an example, i played the entirety of the God of War series last year, and I go back and replay 3 all the time. Have I even touched the PS4 game since I barrelled my way through the main campaign? No. Because it's too big. Replaying it just doesn't seem appealing to me because it's just too damn big and long winded. The same would apply to SwSh if you could actually, you know, start a second file (why on earth they don't let you do that is beyond me? What if you want to play the story again?). Meanwhile all the DLC promises me is getting lost and frustrated with no real clear direction and a homogenized single map with no aspect of progression or varied locals.
But there's a difference between something like Gen 1 and SwSd.

Red Blue, while linear, are way more 'open' when it comes to towns. If there's a house, you can go in it, unlike in SwSd where if there's a house, it's usually just set decoration.

I get wanting there to be linear games, but at the same time, they don't have to be straight hallways with no detours.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But there's a difference between something like Gen 1 and SwSd.

Red Blue, while linear, are way more 'open' when it comes to towns. If there's a house, you can go in it, unlike in SwSd where if there's a house, it's usually just set decoration.

I get wanting there to be linear games, but at the same time, they don't have to be straight hallways with no detours.
Straight hallways? No. They should twist and turn and elevate and descend and have some larger rooms. But detours? Why? either you accidentally skip something you might not have wanted to skip or you end up backtracking to make sure you've done everything? Why bother with it?

Shroob

Sup?
Straight hallways? No. They should twist and turn and elevate and descend and have some larger rooms. But detours? Why? either you accidentally skip something you might not have wanted to skip or you end up backtracking to make sure you've done everything? Why bother with it?
Snake, it's Pokemon.

Even if you wanted to, they literally won't let you go off the beaten path.

1592628068418.png

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells,
Drifting in the foam

Little soldier boy,
Come marching home.
Brave soldier boy,
Come marching home.

After all these years... I still tear up.

Shroob

Sup?
Besides, to add to this, since when are things like side quests or time-sensitive events a bad thing? They add replay-ability and make each play-through feel fresh.

If you miss something in a game when it's signal flagging super hard "THIS NEEDS YOU TO PROGRESS THE PLOT!", you only have yourself to blame for not exploring. An RPG should have a world to 'explore', that's the fun of playing RPGs, giving you worlds to explore and play with, with enemies that are fun to fight and an engaging narrative. If you miss something, tough ****.

Earthbound is one of my favorite RPGs, and a lot of the time, I'll just not get Poo's special weapon because it relies on an RNG drop. And guess what? I'm fine with or without it, even if I miss the one time it's available, it's not going to kill me, I'll manage.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Pokemon was always meant for Open World. I have always said this, and the reason is so obvious. This is a game that asks the player to explore the world and catch them all. Of course I wanna go to forests full of greenery and oceans with rigid waves. Because Pokemon can be found both high and low, and I want to explore the world to find them.

Never has Pokemon ever made this point clearer than SwSh. Talk all the **** you want; SwSh is the building ground of something greater. We all saw how the DLC performed. Even if the story wasn't **** to talk about, I have NEVER heard anyone say the Isle looked like ****. Maybe a lot of open water, but in a way, that's just being realistic. :rolleyes:

I fully support the road Pokemon is currently paving. It's got a lot of potential that I believe they can take control of.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, Pokemon slowly becoming open world was inevitable. Nowadays, the franchise is less about catching creatures, and focuses more on the lore behind the Pokemon world. Naturally, that means more varied locations with cool puzzles that the players have to solve to find an ultra rare Pokemon that somehow ties in with the lore, or a really good item. Of course, that means exploration and thinking outside of the box is rewarded handomely, which means they have to outdo themselves in exploring. Add a console that is a massive leap from the last handeld (thus meaning it can handle more), and... yeah.

SwSh doesn't really do that. Not much variation in terms of enviroment, and many of it suffers from hallway syndrome, which was a real missed opportunity given that it boasted the first taste of a more open ended Pokemon.

Being more Linear isn't bad. Gen 5 was pretty linear, and yet they're widely regarded as the best in the franchise. It's just that there should be more to do than running in a straight line.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Never has Pokemon ever made this point clearer than SwSh. Talk all the **** you want; SwSh is the building ground of something greater.
Well, as long as we're admitting we're at the bottom of the barrel here. :nifty:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, Pokemon slowly becoming open world was inevitable. Nowadays, the franchise is less about catching creatures, and focuses more on the lore behind the Pokemon world. Naturally, that means more varied locations with cool puzzles that the players have to solve to find an ultra rare Pokemon that somehow ties in with the lore, or a really good item. Of course, that means exploration and thinking outside of the box is rewarded handomely, which means they have to outdo themselves in exploring. Add a console that is a massive leap from the last handeld (thus meaning it can handle more), and... yeah.

SwSh doesn't really do that. Not much variation in terms of enviroment, and many of it suffers from hallway syndrome, which was a real missed opportunity given that it boasted the first taste of a more open ended Pokemon.

Being more Linear isn't bad. Gen 5 was pretty linear, and yet they're widely regarded as the best in the franchise. It's just that there should be more to do than running in a straight line.
As many issues as I have with SwSd, the graphics aren't one of them, I think the games look great..... in the Towns, at the very least.

And that's one of the big issues. The towns look soo nice, but for the most part they... just have nothing to do in them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, it's Pokemon.

Even if you wanted to, they literally won't let you go off the beaten path.

View attachment 275373
Besides, to add to this, since when are things like side quests or time-sensitive events a bad thing? They add replay-ability and make each play-through feel fresh.

If you miss something in a game when it's signal flagging super hard "THIS NEEDS YOU TO PROGRESS THE PLOT!", you only have yourself to blame for not exploring. An RPG should have a world to 'explore', that's the fun of playing RPGs, giving you worlds to explore and play with, with enemies that are fun to fight and an engaging narrative. If you miss something, tough ****.

Earthbound is one of my favorite RPGs, and a lot of the time, I'll just not get Poo's special weapon because it relies on an RNG drop. And guess what? I'm fine with or without it, even if I miss the one time it's available, it's not going to kill me, I'll manage.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. But I still feel like you’re missing my point.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't think anyone's said the Wild Area was a bad idea. In fact, it was one lf the best ideas the franchise had.

Unfortunately, it was just 2 lakes, a tiny desert and the rest of it were uninteresting grasslands. The only thing that really stood outbfrom most of them was the the fact that the weather changed. With no cohesiveness either (why does it thunderstrom in a desert?).

If flopped hard at execution, which is the driving reason on whh people reccomend Isle of Armor: it what the Wild Area should have been.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. But I still feel like you’re missing my point.
Then you haven't explained your point good enough.

As long as it's not something like General White like in TTYD, if I actually enjoy a game, going back to a location I've already been in isn't an inconvenience. The sense of discovering something that I didn't realize was there in the first place is both fun and rewarding.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
As many issues as I have with SwSd, the graphics aren't one of them, I think the games look great..... in the Towns, at the very least.

And that's one of the big issues. The towns look soo nice, but for the most part they... just have nothing to do in them.
Yeah, I know people love to make the same 10000th tree joke, but the towns are genuinelly beautiful. The big cities actually feel grand, and well, like a big city, and the smaller ones really feel comfy. But there's just something lacking in almost all of them. You can't explore the hill or structures in Turrfield, the lighthouse in Hulbury is inaccessable, Motostoke and Wyndon have a bunch of unopenable buildings, Postwick is literally a hallway, and Ballonea is tiny (even though it's the best looking town in in the game).

Like, out of all of the towns aside from the first 2, I think Stow On Side and Cirhester are the only ones where you can explore the whole town and out.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I think that Gen Five worked because there was always something interesting on the side while the story was actually good. This encouraged players to go either way and have fun.

For side things you had hidden grottos, the dream world, a lot of areas left to be explored latter on, plenty of Pokémon to find, the world tournament, polestar studios, etc.

There was always something and that’s why it worked so well imo

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If they were actually upfront about what the actual issue was, SwSh wouldn't have been so controversial. That was the real issue.

Hopefully they're giving more time next time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah, I know people love to make the same 10000th tree joke, but the towns are genuinelly beautiful. The big cities actually feel grand, and well, like a big city, and the smaller ones really feel comfy. But there's just something lacking in almost all of them. You can't explore the hill or structures in Turrfield, the lighthouse in Hulbury is inaccessable, Motostoke and Wyndon have a bunch of unopenable buildings, Postwick is literally a hallway, and Ballonea is tiny (even though it's the best looking town in in the game).

Like, out of all of the towns aside from the first 2, I think Stow On Side and Cirhester are the only ones where you can explore the whole town and out.
The music and the fact that no towns have been of this scale before, also really help the look of the towns out even though there is a lot of improvement though. With a world like Pokémon’s I can’t see how it would be hard to fill these places with interesting sites and buildings.

Shroob

Sup?
If they were actually upfront about what the actual issue was, SwSh wouldn't have been so controversial. That was the real issue.

Hopefully they're giving more time next time.

Somehow, I doubt that. Even though Isle of Armor looks nice to me, albeit, I have my own grievances about it, I still don't really feel inclined to dump 100$ on the game+its DLC.

Even if they had been upfront about "We're cutting some Pokemon, we're doing DLC down the line that re-adds some", things like "GUYS LOOK AN OOT TREE" would have still 100% existed, as well as the current situation of "Charging us to use old Pokemon."

GRANTED, I will say, I will 100% take Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra over a 3rd version any day of the week.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Then I guess Shield will be my last Pokémon as well as my first. Which is sad. Because I was really hoping this could be something I like that ya’ll do too that we can talk about all the time like you guys do with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and the like. Sometimes I can contribute. But sometimes I can’t, and I feel left out and alone.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Somehow, I doubt that. Even though Isle of Armor looks nice to me, albeit, I have my own grievances about it, I still don't really feel inclined to dump 100$ on the game+its DLC.

Even if they had been upfront about "We're cutting some Pokemon, we're doing DLC down the line that re-adds some", things like "GUYS LOOK AN OOT TREE" would have still 100% existed, as well as the current situation of "Charging us to use old Pokemon."

GRANTED, I will say, I will 100% take Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra over a 3rd version any day of the week.
Tbf though they are selling old Pokémon and that was planned before the base game finished. Sure DLC is worked on like that, but that statement fuels the argument they cut Pokémon for money down the road.

And will everyone have to pay for it? No but good lucky getting the new legends outside of buying it.

And someone would still have to buy it to begin with. If no one bought the dlc then we wouldn’t have the old Pokémon back. They are still locked behind a paywall even if that’s not technically a paywall for everyone.

I still think that’s a very valid critique. I’d personally rather all Pokémon in base game then add new ones as DLC since it’s a better incentive and those Pokémon will still be easier to obtain.

Shroob

Sup?
Then I guess Shield will be my last Pokémon as well as my first. Which is sad. Because I was really hoping this could be something I like that ya’ll do too that we can talk about all the time like you guys do with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and the like. Sometimes I can contribute. But sometimes I can’t, and I feel left out and alone.
I mean, not like Pokemon doesn't have 25 years worth of games that you can easily play if you want to play 'more'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom