• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Somehow, I doubt that. Even though Isle of Armor looks nice to me, albeit, I have my own grievances about it, I still don't really feel inclined to dump 100$ on the game+its DLC.

Even if they had been upfront about "We're cutting some Pokemon, we're doing DLC down the line that re-adds some", things like "GUYS LOOK AN OOT TREE" would have still 100% existed, as well as the current situation of "Charging us to use old Pokemon."

GRANTED, I will say, I will 100% take Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra over a 3rd version any day of the week.
Yeah, it would of existed but it wouldn't have been as bad. You give fire fuel, its gonna burn harder.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Then I guess Shield will be my last Pokémon as well as my first. Which is sad. Because I was really hoping this could be something I like that ya’ll do too that we can talk about all the time like you guys do with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and the like. Sometimes I can contribute. But sometimes I can’t, and I feel left out and alone.
I mean, not like Pokemon doesn't have 25 years worth of games that you can easily play if you want to play 'more'.
If we get more let’s Go games there’s also those. Which let you experience a regions story with the more traditional route.

Plus the spinoffs are always good. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky is still one of my favorite games and I rate it higher then most mainline Pokémon games.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, not like Pokemon doesn't have 25 years worth of games that you can easily play if you want to play 'more'.
That’s not really the point. I still don’t get to be a part of the community getting excited for the next entries with everyone else. I don’t get a new thing to look forward too. I just get left behind and alone again.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That’s not really the point. I still don’t get to be a part of the community getting excited for the next entries with everyone else. I don’t get a new thing to look forward too. I just get left behind and alone again.
Most of the people here didn’t even care about the game at launch.

It was all about the new Pokémon. So you could always look at them and still enjoy discussing with everyone

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, that's your own hangups, which I don't think anyone aside from yourself can really help you with. You need to dig deep and hard as to 'why' you despise open world games with such a burning passion.

You were the same way about traditional RPGs mere months ago, so if you actually bought and played a Pokemon game, methinks you can make good with yourself.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Like what you like and dislike what you dislike. You don't need to rebuild your interests for the sake of being a part of a community. :081:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Like what you like and dislike what you dislike. You don't need to rebuild your interests for the sake of being a part of a community. :081:
Humans are social creatures. Being constantly isolated does a number on a person. On top of making my already bad social skills worse. I just have trouble connecting with people.

Shroob

Sup?
Humans are social creatures. Being constantly isolated does a number on a person. On top of making my already bad social skills worse. I just have trouble connecting with people.
Snake, a lot of posts in this thread already don't get replied to as is.

You have the least worry of people not replying to you, trust me. You tend to draw attention.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Eh. I can't really help you there, or give you any advice, because I personally just accept isolation. I've been alone for so long, being near people makes me sick. Even being near my own flesh and blood puts my body at a pause. Part of why I couldn't even hold my job. :laugh:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, a lot of posts in this thread already don't get replied to as is.

You have the least worry of people not replying to you, trust me. You tend to draw attention.
Let me try a metaphor. I feel like I went to the circus with a bunch of people from school, because I wanted to see the elephants and thought we could bond over it. But they don’t have animals in circuses anymore. So I’m just isolated from the group. So what? Maybe circuses just aren’t for me. I’d probably have more fun at a zoo. But nobody wants to go to the zoo with me. So I’m still alone, even though I’m doing something I enjoy more.

It’s probably a bad metaphor.

Shroob

Sup?
Let me try a metaphor. I feel like I went to the circus with a bunch of people from school, because I wanted to see the elephants and thought we could bond over it. But they don’t have animals in circuses anymore. So I’m just isolated from the group. So what? Maybe circuses just aren’t for me. I’d probably have more fun at a zoo. But nobody wants to go to the zoo with me. So I’m still alone, even though I’m doing something I enjoy more.

It’s probably a bad metaphor.
Well considering Pokemon games only come out once every other year not counting spinoffs, I think you'll be fine for the two or so weeks where people are hype about them until things return to normal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As the kind of person who tends to just go from point A to B in lengthy games, linear games aren't bad. That being said, there's a difference between say, classic Sonic being linear and Sonic Forces being linear, as a player, alternative routes make me curious, in moder Doom, the game can show me simply how to get to point B but if I see something along the way, I get excited and try getting there because a good game knows that I should be rewarded with stuff for my exploration. "Oh you noticed this pathway which lead to a platforming challenge? Here, have a completely optional permanent upgrade for your efforts". The same is true of JRPGs, I'd call Xenoblade 1 linear but that game makes me wander around aimlessly because I want to pick up the shiny items and discover secret areas to boost my EXP, AP and SP like any other area.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Straight hallways? No. They should twist and turn and elevate and descend and have some larger rooms. But detours? Why? either you accidentally skip something you might not have wanted to skip or you end up backtracking to make sure you've done everything? Why bother with it?
People play games for different reasons. Some people do it for challenge, some people do it for leisure, and some people do it to explore.

On great thing about Gen 1's world design, as limited as it was, is that exploration was there for people who wanted it. However the game was designed with casuals and young players in mind (and just players who didn't want to explore too much), so it had an overall linear path to follow to help keep players from getting lost.

I think even if Gen 9 has a more fleshed out open world, it will still have ways to guide players who don't want to explore.

Shroob

Sup?
People play games for different reasons. Some people do it for challenge, some people do it for leisure, and some people do it to explore.

On great thing about Gen 1's world design, as limited as it was, is that exploration was there for people who wanted it. However the game was designed with casuals and young players in mind (and just players who didn't want to explore too much), so it had an overall linear path to follow to help keep players from getting lost.

I think even if Gen 9 has a more fleshed out open world, it will still have ways to guide players who don't want to explore.
Even though I'm no Gen Wunner, one thing I miss is how out of order you could do its latter half.

Once you beat Lt.Surge, the game really opens up, you can pretty much do the Gyms of Erika, Koga, Sabrina and Blaine in any order iirc.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Then I guess Shield will be my last Pokémon as well as my first. Which is sad. Because I was really hoping this could be something I like that ya’ll do too that we can talk about all the time like you guys do with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and the like. Sometimes I can contribute. But sometimes I can’t, and I feel left out and alone.
I’m confused. You don’t like Open world games?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I love how NonSpecifGuy just comes in at the most randomest times. I might be the only one that sees this, but then again, he is nonspecific... guy.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbf though they are selling old Pokémon and that was planned before the base game finished. Sure DLC is worked on like that, but that statement fuels the argument they cut Pokémon for money down the road.

And will everyone have to pay for it? No but good lucky getting the new legends outside of buying it.

And someone would still have to buy it to begin with. If no one bought the dlc then we wouldn’t have the old Pokémon back. They are still locked behind a paywall even if that’s not technically a paywall for everyone.

I still think that’s a very valid critique. I’d personally rather all Pokémon in base game then add new ones as DLC since it’s a better incentive and those Pokémon will still be easier to obtain.
I just noticed this.

And you're half right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you have older copies of the games, you're more than free to transfer said Pokemon into your Sw/Sd game even without the DLC, no?

In that case, it's moreso paying for convenience, and to be fair, it was already kinda like that with 3rd version or remakes within gens. You bought other games because the game you had lacked certain mons, like in Gen 3 where you needed like, Emerald, Fire Red/Leaf Green and the GCN games.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Where tf did you come from? Lmao
MY MOTHAH
I love how NonSpecifGuy just comes in at the most randomest times. I might be the only one that sees this, but then again, he is nonspecific... guy.
I just vibe from thread to thread for real.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No. I don’t. For a whole host of reasons. But that doesn’t seem to matter. The world moves on without me.
I mean an open world Pokémon wouldn’t really change a whole lot to be honest. The only difference would be that you can catch, battle, and challenge gyms in whatever order you please. Not confined to hallways the game anymore and instead are able to do things at your own pace.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Dude, battling Bea with a Dark Mono team is crazy.

I should of gotten my Morgrem to learn a Fairy type move.

Edit: forgot to mention that Obstagoon gave Machamp the ol' Thunder Cross Split Attack.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah I don’t think Pokémon is going full Skyrim or full Breath of the Wild or anything like that but giving you a rather open area to run around, explore, and catch Pokémon with a couple gyms off in the distance that you need to beat to move on to the next set of gyms is an easy possibility.

But yeah I wasn’t a fan of Sword but I played a bit of isle of armor at my cousins and it was really damn good. I’m super down for Pokémon to go that route next game.

Edit: if I had to compare it to anything I’d compare it to Prince of Persia 08 to give you an idea. If you don’t know that game then a less exact example would be God of War PS4. Pseudo-open world is what it’s known as.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You're being way too dramatic about this, ngl.

There's nothing wrong with having your own opinion.
I get emotional at the thought of being alone for the rest of my life and loosing the few tenuous strands I use to make connections with others I actually have.

My best friend from highschool, who my continued conversation with meant a lot to me, hadn’t spoken to me at all since January. Most of my friends from highschool haven’t for longer then that. My attempts at making new ones have been a struggle. Even when I go to spaces like my campus’s Queer Nerd Alliance I still feel alone. Every time I try to talk to people there I always struggle to relate to the subject at hand and garner silent stares whenever I try to interject. I am different. I am weird. And they don’t want me around. And I am not the kind of person who can thrive in those conditions to any degree at all. It’s why I’m on six medications to combat depression. Because otherwise I’d be in a way darker place and likely have done something unspeakable by now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Man.

I just remembered last night (maybe first time I knew even, but I feel like I’ve read it before on this site probably), that the Zelda Encyclopedia said Termina isn’t real, just a fabrication brought to life temporarily. (I saw someone brought up that it wasn’t real on Twitter)

I mean, based on what the Encyclopedia said, at least Skull Kid is still a big focus but...why not just say it’s a parallel world and leave it at that, like what was said originally? Instead of a parallel world yet also a fabrication that ceases to exist when Link leaves? Skull Kid would still have that amount of grief Link needs to save him from. This also seems to contradict some ingame lore and events...

Though, based on stuff I’ve read from people in wiki talk pages and whatever, this may not be fully reliable; rather, an interpretation from the writers, just approved by Nintendo (and it contradicts Hyrule Historia too apparently), so whatever I guess.

I still assume the characters (or at least Tatl, Tael, and maybe the giants alongside Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman, Majora and the Fierce Deity of course) are real anyway even if the “Majora used Skull Kid’s memories and burdened heart to make Termina” version of events is true, as maybe it’s all based on stuff Skull Kid went through at least...though, that does make Tatl’s story seem retconned, and she and Tael follow Skull Kid outside of Termina too, including before he got the mask, so it’s all weird and doesn’t appear to make any sense unless they wanna say “well uh Tatl isn’t reliable because of what we said and we’re just gonna ignore the fact what we said doesn’t make any sense considering she and her brother can exist outside Termina and were there before Skull Kid could supposedly create them with the mask and nothing points to what she said being fake.”

And Skull Kid drew himself, the fairies, the giants, and Link all together on the tree stump at the end...so, they had to at least be real at some point, right?

Or maybe Termina is real, but it wasn’t in the state it was in when Link came nor maybe even called “Termina” previous to Majora latching onto Skull Kid?

Plus the “it’s not real” take would feel it was done poorly, too. While the “5 stages of grief” theory people thought of appears to make sense, literally nothing indicates it’s a fabricated world, just the beginning making it clear it’s indeed an alternate world with Skull Kid + Majora’s Mask having strange powers. Link’s Awakening and Mother do the “they’re not real worlds/they’re in your or another person’s head but brought to life” thing better since they’re actually heavily implied or flat-out said at points in the game (with Mother’s seemingly fabricated world not being the main world either).

Also, what about Tingle? This is his first game, and he appears in more afterwards! Is he from a memory of Skull Kid’s, part of a real world, or just not real in this timeline?!

My brain hurts. I guess videogames are made for people to enjoy, though, so whatever, screw new supposed canon that may not even be fully considered canon aside from the timeline placements, I’m sticking with old canon, as much as I do still like that Skull Kid is a big focus if not an even bigger focus in the newer “canon”...

Maybe I should just ask Nintendo, but the person running their email probably wouldn’t know...

anyway just ignore my nerdy MM rambling if you don’t want to read about what may or may not be canon and my confusion and stuff...how about that Isle of Armor amirite?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Man.

I just remembered last night (maybe first time I knew even, but I feel like I’ve read it before on this site probably), that the Zelda Encyclopedia said Termina isn’t real, just a fabrication brought to life temporarily. (I saw someone brought up that it wasn’t real on Twitter)

I mean, based on what the Encyclopedia said, at least Skull Kid is still a big focus but...why not just say it’s a parallel world and leave it at that, like what was said originally? Instead of a parallel world yet also a fabrication that ceases to exist when Link leaves? Skull Kid would still have that amount of grief Link needs to save him from. This also seems to contradict some ingame lore and events...

Though, based on stuff I’ve read from people in wiki talk pages and whatever, this may not be fully reliable; rather, an interpretation from the writers, just approved by Nintendo (and it contradicts Hyrule Historia too apparently), so whatever I guess.

I still assume the characters (or at least Tatl, Tael, and maybe the giants alongside Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman, Majora and the Fierce Deity of course) are real anyway even if the “Majora used Skull Kid’s memories and burdened heart to make Termina” version of events is true, as maybe it’s all based on stuff Skull Kid went through at least...though, that does make Tatl’s story seem retconned, and she and Tael follow Skull Kid outside of Termina too, including before he got the mask, so it’s all weird and doesn’t appear to make any sense unless they wanna say “well uh Tatl isn’t reliable because of what we said and we’re just gonna ignore the fact what we said doesn’t make any sense considering she and her brother can exist outside Termina and were there before Skull Kid could supposedly create them with the mask and nothing points to what she said being fake.”

And Skull Kid drew himself, the fairies, the giants, and Link all together on the tree stump at the end...so, they had to at least be real at some point, right?

Or maybe Termina is real, but it wasn’t in the state it was in when Link came nor maybe even called “Termina” previous to Majora latching onto Skull Kid?

Plus the “it’s not real” take would feel it was done poorly, too. While the “5 stages of grief” theory people thought of appears to make sense, literally nothing indicates it’s a fabricated world, just the beginning making it clear it’s indeed an alternate world with Skull Kid + Majora’s Mask having strange powers. Link’s Awakening and Mother do the “they’re not real worlds/they’re in your or another person’s head but brought to life” thing better since they’re actually heavily implied or flat-out said at points in the game (with Mother’s seemingly fabricated world not being the main world either).

Also, what about Tingle? This is his first game, and he appears in more afterwards! Is he from a memory of Skull Kid’s, part of a real world, or just not real in this timeline?!

My brain hurts. I guess videogames are made for people to enjoy, though, so whatever, screw new supposed canon that may not even be fully considered canon aside from the timeline placements, I’m sticking with old canon, as much as I do still like that Skull Kid is a big focus if not an even bigger focus in the newer “canon”...

Maybe I should just ask Nintendo, but the person running their email probably wouldn’t know...

anyway just ignore my nerdy MM rambling if you don’t want to read about what may or may not be canon and my confusion and stuff...how about that Isle of Armor amirite?
The Wiki says that Skull Kid/Majora twisted an already existing land into Termina, while referencing the Encyclopedia.

Termina is one of those things that I don't think we'll ever get a straight answer as to what it really is, and frankly, I don't want to know. Majora's Mask is a beautifully dark game full of mystery, and it should for all intents and purposes, keep an air of mystery about it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Wiki says that Skull Kid/Majora twisted an already existing land into Termina, while referencing the Encyclopedia.

Termina is one of those things that I don't think we'll ever get a straight answer as to what it really is, and frankly, I don't want to know. Majora's Mask is a beautifully dark game full of mystery, and it should for all intents and purposes, keep an air of mystery about it.
I like the mystery too, even if I wouldn’t mind if we learned more about it (though I also don’t care if we don’t get more info :p ). The idea that Termina may be a fabrication just didn’t settle too well with me, even if it makes Skull Kid an even bigger focus. I thought I was warming up to it at first, but then I just continued being unable to wrap my head around it.

And I like the wiki’s interpretation, I didn’t see that. That can be seen as everyone being real beforehand and still real after the events, just Skull Kid/Majora twisting the world and maybe some people’s memories and/or behaviors. Would fit with the ingame events/Skull Kid’s and the fairies’ backstory, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom