• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ain't gonna happen. You can't sell people something that takes content AWAY from the base game. And ain't no way they have the resources to build new assist trophies to replace them.
They don’t really have to replace them, just disable them if the fighter is being played or just Chrom them.

tbh any of the characters could be chosen, Coyle isn’t the only one with unique mechanics. Though, personally I would really just worry about Geno; if they avoid adding any of the most-popular ARMS characters or the mascot, all of which are already represented I believe, it would make it seem like they really aren’t gonna do AT or Spirit promotions.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One reason I'm against assist promotions is it'd open the floodgates for others and if those assist characters don't get in that won't be fair for the other fans especially since said assist characters were already worked on and featured in the game as oppose to characters who isn't yet like Crash, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Sora, etc.

Like how if Goku got in it'd open the floodgates for non-gaming characters leading people to ask for more like Iron Man, Shrek, Spongebob and such.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Those fans were doing nothing but insulting and flaming. There was effectively 2 year olds. It was unprofessional, but they're justified in being annoyed.

They weren't "critics". They were nothing but people insulting others. That's who they were taking a potshot at. There's a huge difference between criticism and completely unreasonable flaming. The potshot was aimed at flamers, not critics. Unfortunately the actual critics got caught in the crossfire because some of the criticism does relate to issues the show has. Which flamers severely exaggerate a lot of the time. I have criticisms of the show too, but the issue isn't the fact the staff responded poorly in itself. That's just unfortunate and would've been avoided if people weren't unreasonable and bash-happy. It still stems to immature fans bashing works but not actually giving proper criticism.
The staff should at least have the common decency to keep their responses to all the flaming or criticism out of the show itself, no matter how “justified” it seems. That’s a lot of time and resources spent on throwing potshots as well as dragging fans of their show into this drama as well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
When you degrade a show from its source material to juvenile humor especially insulting said fans and terrible animation to the point its an parody I think fans have a right to be mad tbh.

NetFlix's She-Ra is an example how reboots or whatever should be done. Even then it seems that children hates ThunderCats Roar which is good, it goes to show its bad even if the children hates it.

But nope apparently an company thinks fans don't want complex characters, a better written story, a rich world to explore, hell no, they want idiotic characters, a juvenile story, and a world that would fit perfectly on a "Nick Jr." program.

Which is why we need more shows like NetFlix's She-Ra.
OK. First off you're not talking about "animation" your talking about "art style". Animation is how the characters move on screen, and in Thundercats Roar it's very fluid and clean. You might not like the character designs, but that's a different thing entierly.

Secondly, have you SEEN the original ThunderCats? That show was so goofey it was already a self parody without even trying. Would I like more of the 2011 reboot? Absolutely. But it's certainly not "the source material" in any sense of the word.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Well when it goes out of its way to insult critics of the show and fans of the original on multiple occasions, I can see why.
I don’t know, a lot of fanbases in general have become increasingly entitled over the past decade or so, and the Teen Titans fans in particular were pretty hostile to the show. I think it’s kind of funny and cathartic when the show makes meta pokes at how much they’re hated by some fans and not like the characters in the original series.

Ain't gonna happen. You can't sell people something that takes content AWAY from the base game. And ain't no way they have the resources to build new assist trophies to replace them.
It’s not really taking content away though. You’re more so trading an assist trophy that pops up once every 50 matches (if people even have items on) for the same character but now playable with a stage and music. It’s a net gain, even if they remove the assist trophy completely.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Secondly, have you SEEN the original ThunderCats? That show was so goofey it was already a self parody without even trying. Would I like more of the 2011 reboot? Absolutely. But it's certainly not "the source material" in any sense of the word.
The difference is it was meant to be that way and its understandable given that was the 80s back then. Unlike Roar it isn't as forced with its humor. That was the charm for that show and He-Man.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When you degrade a show from its source material to juvenile humor especially insulting said fans and terrible animation to the point its an parody I think fans have a right to be mad tbh.
It's not a reboot or continuation so this doesn't matter. There was nothing to degrade. It also is more faithful than the original Teen Titans as is to the comics, which is saying something about the overall content.

NetFlix's She-Ra is an example how reboots or whatever should be done. Even then it seems that children hates ThunderCats Roar which is good, it goes to show its bad even if the children hates it.
Again, it's not a regular reboot. It's a comedy show. It was never meant to be serious. It's not remotely comparable to She-Ra because you're trying to treat it the same way despite being completely different.

But nope apparently an company thinks fans don't want complex characters, a better written story, a rich world to explore, hell no, they want idiotic characters, a juvenile story, and a world that would fit perfectly on a "Nick Jr." program.

Which is why we need more shows like NetFlix's She-Ra.
They're comedies. They aren't meant to actually reboot the original story specifically or even tie to it. Only Roar slightly does a reboot, and even then, it's clear designed to just be a comedy and not remotely faithful to the original writing. That's not the design behind it.

Like, obviously there's no reason you should be a fan of the shows. But you're making a comparison that doesn't work. They were never ever once reboots, so trying to treat them as trying to be faithful to the original source material(which isn't even the case, despite the irony of TTG strangely doing it better) is missing the point entirely.

Dude. Stop. This is the exact kind of wet blanket talk that breeds animosity in this community. Only share ideas, don't put down other peoples hopes. I admit I am guilty with that as well. I need to reign myself in too.
There's no animosity. What you're saying is incorrect. Sakurai's not in complete control. Reality is, Nintendo has the hard control. Sakurai still has control, but not enough to decide the character.

Why would Nintendo choose Dr. Coyle is the question here. Do they think about the AT thing? Do they care? Probably not. That's not their problem. The only thing they would care is if "can it be done? Yes? Okay, get to it". That's their part in it. I'm not saying Dr. Coyle is impossible, but Nintendo isn't the ones looking for "special abilities". That's not their part in it. Basically, a main character, to be mascot-like, is really all that's important here. That's why Dr. Coyle has a chance, as she's very important to the series' story. But that's really all she has going for her when it comes to Nintendo's picks. Sakurai is another story, but he'd make any one highly unique either way.

The staff should at least have the common decency to keep their responses to all the flaming or criticism out of the show itself, no matter how “justified” it seems. That’s a lot of time and resources spent on throwing potshots as well as dragging fans of their show into this drama as well.
And again, that requires common decency on the fans' part as well. Well, fans is kind of misleading, cause they're clearly not fans of the show. It's not a zero-sum game. Just yelling at the staff does nothing. Both were at fault regardless. There's no denying the irrational people who thought it was a good idea to bash stuff and not do any research is the key part of the problem. Them responding poorly is a secondary part and only happened because they're human beings who get angry. It's also a comedy show and takes potshots at everything. So it's normal resources, to be frank. Of course it was the wrong move, but it's the fault of both.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The difference is it was meant to be that way and its understandable given that was the 80s back then. Unlike Roar it isn't as forced with its humor. That was the charm for that show and He-Man.
I've only ever seen the trailers and promo clips, so I can't comment on the humor. I will not however that people use the term "forced humor" and "I didn't find it funny" interchangeably.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
One reason I'm against assist promotions is it'd open the floodgates for others and if those assist characters don't get in that won't be fair for the other fans especially since said assist characters were already worked on and featured in the game as oppose to characters who isn't yet like Crash, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Sora, etc.

Like how if Goku got in it'd open the floodgates for non-gaming characters leading people to ask for more like Iron Man, Shrek, Spongebob and such.
Not everyone can get in. People would get mad either way. Same could be said about spirits.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There's no need to remove anything when you can just disable the assist when the fighter's in play

or maybe they'll just pull a chrom and not care whatsoever about the same character being present on screen in two separate roles

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not a reboot or continuation so this doesn't matter. There was nothing to degrade. It also is more faithful than the original Teen Titans as is to the comics, which is saying something about the overall content.

Again, it's not a regular reboot. It's a comedy show. It was never meant to be serious. It's not remotely comparable to She-Ra because you're trying to treat it the same way despite being completely different.

There's comedies. They aren't meant to actually reboot the original story specifically or even tie to it. Only Roar slightly does a reboot, and even then, it's clear designed to just be a comedy and not remotely faithful to the original writing. That's not the design behind it.

There's no animosity. What you're saying is incorrect. Sakurai's not in complete control. Reality is, Nintendo has the hard control. Sakurai still has control, but not enough to decide the character.

Why would Nintendo choose Dr. Coyle is the question here. Do they think about the AT thing? Do they care? Probably not. That's not their problem. The only thing they would care is if "can it be done? Yes? Okay, get to it". That's their part in it. I'm not saying Dr. Coyle is impossible, but Nintendo isn't the ones looking for "special abilities". That's not their part in it. Basically, a main character, to be mascot-like, is really all that's important here. That's why Dr. Coyle has a chance, as she's very important to the series' story. But that's really all she has going for her when it comes to Nintendo's picks. Sakurai is another story, but he'd make any one highly unique either way.

And again, that requires common decency on the fans' part as well. Well, fans is kind of misleading, cause they're clearly not fans of the show. It's not a zero-sum game. Just yelling at the staff does nothing. Both were at fault regardless. There's no denying the irrational people who thought it was a good idea to bash stuff and not do any research is the key part of the problem. Them responding poorly is a secondary part and only happened because they're human beings who get angry. It's also a comedy show and takes potshots at everything. So it's normal resources, to be frank. Of course it was the wrong move, but it's the fault of both.
Didn't you read about how Nintendo selects the fighters? If they put every Arms character on the list they gave him, he could easily fudge his answers to get the character he wants.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

They're comedies. They aren't meant to actually reboot the original story specifically or even tie to it. Only Roar slightly does a reboot, and even then, it's clear designed to just be a comedy and not remotely faithful to the original writing. That's not the design behind it.

Like, obviously there's no reason you should be a fan of the shows. But you're making a comparison that doesn't work. They were never ever once reboots, so trying to treat them as trying to be faithful to the original source material(which isn't even the case, despite the irony of TTG strangely doing it better) is missing the point entirely.
What they could do instead then is so its not far from its source material in terms of story, premise and characters is they could of just made it an original show as with TTG but they probably base it off those shows to draw more people in.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Didn't you read about how Nintendo selects the fighters? If they put every Arms character on the list they gave him, he could easily fudge his answers to get the character he wants.
I don’t think Sakurai ever mentioned a list, that was a fan theory as far as I know. I just remember Sakurai saying he discusses stuff with Nintendo; maybe something about him being able to reject a character, not sure, but none have been rejected due to lack of ideas.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo just told Sakurai “ARMS character,” though, and not caring which one he picked. Tbh the mini direct even implied they could do an AT upgrade and not care, since Spring Man was on the screen with the others.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That would require Sakurai to constantly lie. So, no, that doesn't sound remotely plausible to me.

He's not going to fudge answers. He's going to be honest. It's absolutely possible he was given a list, though there's no real reason to believe that. I don't think he was given a list. I think that list we saw was a promotion for fans to keep them guessing. But you could be right.

There's no need to remove anything when you can just disable the assist when the fighter's in play

or maybe they'll just pull a chrom and not care whatsoever about the same character being present on stage in two separate roles
Chrom was barely active for a short time for the Final Smash. AT's are often way more active in battle, and interrupt it a lot more. It wouldn't be a Chrom situation to begin with. Any AT you can interact with properly(I.E. Ghirahim) is way beyond what Chrom ever does, which is why disabling it makes a lot more sense.

A Chrom situation is closer to stuff like the Victory Screens. Where they aren't a major enough part of gameplay to last long enough to confuse the two from each other. Simply being "two roles" isn't the whole story. Of course, you could be right and it's never disabled too. That also depends upon how the costumes work. It could be Spring Man and Springtron along with "other" characters for alts. The problem is Spring Man's AT doesn't just last a while, he acts similar enough to a normal fighter, and other than quality of polygons, looks a lot like one too. He's more comparable to things like Pyrosphere's Ridley in how much he makes an impact in battle. Just not as long.

What they could do instead then is so its not far from its source material in terms of story, premise and characters is they could of just made it an original show as with TTG but they probably base it off those shows to draw more people in.
...Which is fine? It's just a show trying to get some views. It's obviously not a deep show(hell, Sonic Boom was way deeper, and also better than the games when it came to both story and personality).

It's clearly not a show for you. But again, you're trying too hard to compare it to the originals. It's never been designed that way. It's a comedy take on the original. It's basically a Robot Chicken sketch that lasts 15-30 minutes depending the episode type. They're comedies. Or parodies, if you will.

I get the hatred too. It's not what you expected at all. But the hatred is also expressed to the point of being completely inappropriate(I don't mean you, either. At best you were missing the point behind the shows, but you're not flaming people either about it. That's where the inappropriate haters went too far).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, it's good to have an open mind but I don't get why some people are convinced that Sakurai will prioritize adding his personal fave. He's pretty consistent about picking either the main or the most recognizable characters before anyone else.

There are multiple factors that can result in different fighters (cover boy, popularity, plot relevance, etc.) but choosing a character only because Sakurai wants to seem uncharacteristically unprofessional of him and Nintendo.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t think Sakurai ever mentioned a list, that was a fan theory as far as I know. I just remember Sakurai saying he discusses stuff with Nintendo; maybe something about him being able to reject a character, not sure, but none have been rejected due to lack of ideas.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo just told Sakurai “ARMS character,” though, and not caring which one he picked. Tbh the mini direct even implied they could do an AT upgrade and not care.
I got that from one of PushDustin's translated Sakurai Famitsu Collums.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Finished & uploaded a new level, New Mushroom in the Forest, it's a short but sweet level where using the SMB2 Mushroom to all it's capacity is a must to have the most fun. Tho you still can beat it without it, the code is J82-240-52G, hope you enjoy!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The way we could look at the Chrom activated for Robin's Final Smash isn't the same Chrom being played as that's future Chrom (Or was it past or current) as that one was killed but the other lived like in the Fire Emblem game he was in.

Pretty much an Avengers: Endgame you may say. ;P

Chrom argument debunked.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The way we could look at the Chrom activated for Robin's Final Smash isn't the same Chrom being played as that's future Chrom (Or was it past or current) as that one was killed but the other lived like in the Fire Emblem game he was in.

Pretty much an Avengers: Endgame you may say. ;P

Chrom argument debunked.
Is this a joke or do I seriously need to remind you that :ultzss: and :ultdoc: exist?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is this a joke or do I seriously need to remind you that :ultzss: and :ultdoc: exist?
Touche.

Though you could pretend that the other Samus is simply her power suit functioning on its own as an AI and that Dr. Mario is really Mario's and Luigi's other twin brother. ;P

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I admit that they could do that. I just don't want those floodgates opened.
Geno would do the same with Spirits (which I would personally like since I want Geno too, I’m just sayin’).

I got that from one of PushDustin's translated Sakurai Famitsu Collums.
I’ve tried to find it, but the ones regarding development and choosing characters for Ultimate just mention Nintendo choosing the characters/giving him a proposal, then they discuss and come to an agreement. But I’ve seen no official statement or any translation about them giving him a list to pick from.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Could you link that, please? I actually would love to read into it. :)
I'd love too, but that would require me to go sifting through his twitter for an hour. I wish I had saved it.

Don't get me wrong, if Assist Trophies meant getting characters like Isaac and Shovel Knight (or even Geno) I would be thrilled, But I just really don't want those floodgates opened. I want speculation and reveal to be a cool celebration of new and exciting characters. Not a countdown to when we get Rillaboom and Waluigi. I want to be surprised. Heck, I've said before that one of my prediction slots (the one with Scorpion in it) is really just there to signify I want one of the characters to be a completely out of the blue never gonna happen "I can't believe they got THEM" kind of character. Like Joker. Or Cloud. Not to mention there's still the matter of Crash, a Namco character, Geno, and DoomSlayer/Master Chief. There just isn't room for that kind of thing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Be back later. Got to do some cleaning up at my place I'll be moving into at the end of next month.

Which in that case just to tell you guys when I start moving all my stuff there my computer included I'll have to be on my phone until I finally move in.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
everyone else is doing it so imma be doing it

Wario Bros. Wario Bros. Accept your birthday gift known as this specific comment NOW...or else next year I'll use the Infinity Gauntlet to make your day of birth be on 4/20 while you hang out with Snoop Dogg and his cousin Sasha Banks

Feel the fear of the blue, black, and green
I've watched ThunderCats Roar. Just a fun side thing based loosely upon the original story. Honestly was pretty funny from the bit I saw. I never once considered it meant to be some kind of proper reboot. It's not treated that way. It's a comedy. Just like Teen Titans Go! is(and TTG is actually more faithful to the comics' overall storyline than the old cartoon is, strangely enough).

You want an actual reboot? Look at practically every single TMNT cartoon up to the 3rd cartoon. I can't say anything about Rise of the Ninja Turtles yet. Even the second series overall went beyond the old timeline and do something with tons of characters. The second reboot, which brought back a more interesting version of Rocksteady and Bebop, also reused tons of characters to great effect. RONT from what I can tell focuses a bit more on the comedy, while still keeping the basic storyline. Hopefully I can find some time to watch that specifically. I just am missing some episodes of Series 3. I'd say more, but I don't want to start a spoiler-y discussion since I want to see it in action myself~ I do know a bit of what happens cause I read up on it, but that's not the same as watching it.
Rise of the TMNT is actually a good show when they have a story to focus on. Unfortunately its been given a worse schedule than TMNT 2012 got, and it now airs late at night on Nicktoons (with little to no advertisements). Excellent animation to make up for the weird art style.
I mean the show even goes as far as to insulting the original fans of the show.

Even if it was an attempt to be a joke it was rather poor taste.
doesn't feel like its in poor taste...unless I'm just used to it
Woah now, Teen Titans Go! is super funny. How can people hate a show that’s so delightfully meta and self-aware?
other than the amazing movies they had, TTG is more of a hit and miss for me. Those movies tho...absolutely sexy stuff right there

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
bro that is my worst fear ever. I remeber zi kept hearing that **** and I was losing so much sleep
Yeah, I can relate, I could barely sleep last night because of it.

I've set up a couple mouse traps and bait to lure them in so if there is a mouse in my room I'll find out soon enough.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, I guess anticipating even a "happy late birthday" was a silly prospect for public enemy #1 Will.

78y.gif

I didn't know that your birthday was yesterday. Sorry about that. Happy late birthday!
ay nevermind i got one

But, I did get a whole rifle as a present. I don't know what to do with it, but now I have a gun and full case of bullets that I will probably never use.
Okay I don't know if this paranoia or what but I think there might be a mouse in my room

I saw something small scurrying around the room both last night and just now but it was out of the corner of my eye so k didn't see what it was properly.
But I've looked up the signs of how you can tell when one's in your home and I don't see any of them here. It's so confusing.
Get glue traps, they're effective at catching rodents. Super cheap too, you can find a six-pack them in dollar stores. If you care about being humane, you can wrap it in a vinegar-doused cloth and it'll become unstuck.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well, I guess anticipating even a "happy late birthday" was a silly prospect for public enemy #1 Will.

View attachment 269928

ay nevermind i got one

But, I did get a whole rifle as a present. I don't know what to do with it, but now I have a gun and full case of bullets that I will probably never use.

Get glue traps, they're effective at catching rodents. Super cheap too, you can find a six-pack them in dollar stores. If you care about being humane, you can wrap it in a vinegar-doused cloth and it'll become unstuck.
Guess I didn’t see it, here ya go dude, just pretend it says “yesterday”.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

View attachment 269928

ay nevermind i got one

Those are exactly the kind of traps I put down for them. And I put cookies on them to lure them in faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom