• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yo! Mike REALLY IS AIZEN! He's making his side of the restaurant looking Hueco Mundo. But will he pull out his Bankai.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Lowkey wish the Eshop offered refunds, because I screwed up hard on not turning off automatic renewal.

Also, check your accounts, a security breach has been reported. Accounts are being hacked so that some dude in Russia can buy... V-Bucks.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Season 1 of Hell's Kitchen was a ****ing action anime. Too many plot twists, powerups, and I'm convinced that Mike is just Aizen from Bleach. Even the music is kind of anime.

Yeah, it's called Kirby. And to a lesser extent the Mega Man franchise and Aria/Dawn of Sorrow.
you weren’t joking about Dante having lots of weapons in one go, but it feels pretty satisfying to randomly have the weapons switch
It’s no use...take this

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Goodnight. And good luck.

As I sleep, contemplate my idea for an American Set, LGBTQ themed Persona spin-off game.
I was about to question the logic of a spinoff of something that is already a spinoff, then I realized that is what the dancing game and P5S are, then I realized even further that considering how Atlus handles each new cast of Persona characters, there would be spinoff games of your cast, meaning those are spinoffs of a spinoff of a spinoff of SMT.

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
I lost in a tournament match and was on tilt so i went to a couple of casual players streams and tryharded/Spam Pk fire on people who can't sdi i got threated to be kicked 2/3 times for "spamming" after the viewer's complained and i held the arena for 10 or so games after that before my Pk fireless Ness fell to Pacman. Then i switched to Rob and Side b killed everyone at 30 until i got bored and left it felt so good to bully casuals.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I miss the GG beta already. I want to play more May dammit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Moon Monkey's streams are funny as hell. Hell's Kitchen is on the last arc. Ralph vs Mike a.k.a Aizen. I hope Aizen wins, we'll see.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My sister bought a clearance cake while she was at the grocery store, but she didn't like the frosting so now I get most of a cake to myself.

...I'm never going to lose any weight at this rate.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

As I sleep, contemplate my idea for an American Set, LGBTQ themed Persona spin-off game.
I can see a character or 2 in a western themed Persona game being LBGT but not an entire game centered around it.

I can see it being a good idea for a characters arc before they join the team or a full social link story line about it but not a whole game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
AIZEN TAKES IT! THE BEST CHEF IN THE SOUL SOCIETY! WHIPPIN IT UP IN THE KITCHEN WITH THE HYOGOKU! You really like to see it.

EDIT: The stuff that happened to him after the fact, though, was really unfortunate.

Last edited:

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
I can see a character or 2 in a western themed Persona game being LBGT but not an entire game centered around it.

I can see it being a good idea for a characters arc before they join the team or a full social link story line about it but not a whole game.
Idk how Lbgq works in western games because back then you got hung for that. It's weird how some "Realistic western tv shows" shoehorn a gay supporting character and it's like everyone is fine with it. It honestly just feels really forced and unrealistic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Idk how Lbgq works in western games because back then you got hung for that. It's weird how some "Realistic western tv shows" shoehorn a gay supporting character and it's like everyone is fine with it. It honestly just feels really forced and unrealistic.
It is forced and unrealistic, I think writers only do it because they think that's what's in style nowadays, as if it's some sort of fashion statement.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Morning my friends.

Unfortunately I'm up at this hour having to get ready for online class which I hate doing.
Most likely just gonna watch Nichijou for a few episodes and then go back to bed.

Eh I'm mixed on it.
I'm gonna bet though that Persona 6 takes place in Hawaii. Does feel like the next natural step in my opinion for the series. And gives it a more worldwide audience.
Plus the idea of Persona's based off Pacific culture mythology would make me easily excited.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, token minorities are very much a thing but I also don't like how people go "forced diversity!" every time a queer character shows up in the media now.

Eh I'm mixed on it.
I'm gonna bet though that Persona 6 takes place in Hawaii. Does feel like the next natural step in my opinion for the series. And gives it a more worldwide audience.
Plus the idea of Persona's based off Pacific culture mythology would make me easily excited.
Persona will probably continue taking place in Japan. With the semi-realistic approach they are taking with the series, I don't see writers spending time to learn about a completely foreign culture.

Also, that would alienate Japanese fans so there's not much net gain.

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
It is forced and unrealistic, I think writers only do it because they think that's what's in style nowadays, as if it's some sort of fashion statement.
It's annoying that every show you watch nowadays no matter if it fits or anyone cares they have to put it in as some type of statement and then highlight it whenever they can shove it in like there like WE LIKE GAY PEOPLE and it's in every show. Some shows make it a part of the lure or just treat it with respect but don't shove it your face i think Andi mack is an example of how to handle it well they make it a part of Cyrus's arch but it's not his entire character and it's not focused in every episode (It's not even mentioned in most of them) the "look at me we have a gay character" is my least favorite thing to see in a show.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Morning my friends.

Unfortunately I'm up at this hour having to get ready for online class which I hate doing.
Most likely just gonna watch Nichijou for a few episodes and then go back to bed.

Eh I'm mixed on it.
I kinda want Atlus to go back to the first concept of P5 where the party were globe trotting adventurers.

That sounds neat.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don't know what I want to draw yet. Or if I want to practice motion graphics with text. But I'll figure it out. Maybe or not I'll be back in here in a couple days. Nothing major, just a small break. Might finish the NES Kirby too. Fun game, but some outdated controls with the jumping.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't hate straight people, but they need to stop forcing their sexuality down my throat, I need to physically vomit whenever a guy and girl with no previously established sexuality and no chemistry with eachother start kissing at the end of literally every movie.

Also holy **** the Guilty Gear Strive Beta survey asks what people think of guest characters in Guilty Gear. PLEASE get Vash for that if it gets followed up on

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't hate straight people, but they need to stop forcing their sexuality down my throat, I need to physically vomit whenever a guy and girl with no previously established sexuality and no chemistry with eachother start kissing at the end of literally every movie.
I feel like this is more of a potshot at people saying this about LBGTQ+ relationships more than it is your 100% thoughts which is more than fair.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I feel like this is more of a potshot at people saying this about LBGTQ+ relationships more than it is your 100% thoughts which is more than fair.
Oh no I genuinely hate how people with no chemistry always hook up at the end of every goddamn movie because it's always two people who hate each other magically loving each other with no development or buildup because people who write movies often don't realize that romance doesn't happen at the flip of a dime. Anime is especially bad because you get two rivals who slowly develop such a deep bond they become inseperable and who do they pair up with at the end of the series? The girl they barely interacted with, that **** is MAD weak

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh no I genuinely hate how people with no chemistry always hook up at the end of every goddamn movie because it's always two people who hate each other magically loving each other with no development or buildup because people who write movies often don't realize that romance doesn't happen at the flip of a dime. Anime is especially bad because you get two rivals who slowly develop such a deep bond they become inseperable and who do they pair up with at the end of the series? The girl they barely interacted with, that **** is MAD weak
I gotcha, I just always see these “I don’t hate gay people but...” quotes that I thought you were parodying.

And yeah, you’re right, it happens all the time but then again a lot of writers have a problem writing in relationship and sexuality subtext into the plot in general. Would it upset you if it were done the opposite way? Like, a guy and a girl getting closer and closer only for the girl to end up with the girl she barely interacted with at the end? I hear that come up a lot when I hear about The Legend of Korra. Feel like the same thing kind of happened to me in The Last of Us: Left Behind as well but maybe that was just me because I wasn’t a big fan of that DLC in general.

Shroob

Sup?
Was considering grabbing the Mystery Dungeon remake, I really enjoyed the OG Mystery Dungeon and saw it was pretty much the same + a slightly expanded roster.

Then I saw it was 60$ for a remake and kinda noped out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I gotcha, I just always see these “I don’t hate gay people but...” quotes that I thought you were parodying.

And yeah, you’re right, it happens all the time but then again a lot of writers have a problem writing in relationship and sexuality subtext into the plot in general. Would it upset you if it were done the opposite way? Like, a guy and a girl getting closer and closer only for the girl to end up with the girl she barely interacted with at the end? I hear that come up a lot when I hear about The Legend of Korra. Feel like the same thing kind of happened to me in The Last of Us: Left Behind as well but maybe that was just me because I wasn’t a big fan of that DLC in general.
I haven't watched Korra as I've only seen the first season of Aang and due to the conflicting **** I hear I cannot answer it due to lack of info nor do I care about TLOU enough to learn about that but yeah if it's just random with no implications or build up at all then yeah I'd have an issue, though most hetero people I've seen claim this is the case simply fail to read the room

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I haven't watched Korra as I've only seen the first season of Aang and due to the conflicting **** I hear I cannot answer it due to lack of info nor do I care about TLOU enough to learn about that but yeah if it's just random with no implications or build up at all then yeah I'd have an issue, though most hetero people I've seen claim this is the case simply fail to read the room
That’s fair.

I can’t speak for Korra myself as I haven’t watched it at all. On The Last of Us it was played towards that in the DLC but in the main story it kind of pointed towards Ellie being Hetero after meeting a kid her own age whose name I can’t remember but then it made it explicitly clear in Left Behind that she was not. So I kind of just assumed she was Bi but the Director said he wrote all of The Last of Us with the mindset that she was gay so... I dunno. I felt like that sequence was weird but like I said I wasn’t a fan of that DLC.

LGBT stories aren’t really prevalent enough for me to be picky and choosy though, especially in games, so I guess I’ll take what I can get. At least it shakes up the norm of everyone being Hetero.

Dutch Raikuna

So while I've been doing class work, I've been watching anime. In this case Nichijou.

To even explain it. It's a collection of short off the wall comedy stories over 26 episodes with a load of randomness, although you can judge that easily by watching the OP.

In a weird sense watching it, it's like I'm watching an anime version of Katamari Damacy for some reason. In that game you had the weirdest position of objects and stuff. This anime gives off that off the wallness.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Two pretty weak examples imo. Korra/Asami had a very clear relationship. Asami is the only one Korra wrote to while she was away for example. Each had dated and broke up with Mako already in the series, so there wasn't any indication either would get back together with Mako. I appreciate this particular instance of representation a lot because pansexuality is very rare in mainstream entertainment media, despite homosexual representation having made some good progress.

Ellie's sexuality is tough to unravel but it is true that she was always intended as a lesbian by Naughty Dog. It just didn't have a good reason to come up in the main story of TLOU. Though I imagine the "it's fine as long as it's not forced where it doesn't make sense" crowd is probably still trying to argue against it in the left behind DLC.
You may be thinking of Sam, but he and Henry are mostly there to serve as another example of an adult feeling responsible for a younger kid in the post apocalyptic scenario. It is to make the player appreciate how Ellie doesn't get infected, and see what may have been if the premise of Ellie's character was written differently. She bonds with Sam as someone of similar age, much like a heterosexual individual may bond with someone of the same sex. It wasn't romantic in the slightest.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Two pretty weak examples imo. Korra/Asami had a very clear relationship. Asami is the only one Korra wrote to while she was away for example. Each had dated and broke up with Mako already in the series, so there wasn't any indication either would get back together with Mako. I appreciate this particular instance of representation a lot because pansexuality is very rare in mainstream entertainment media, despite homosexual representation having made some good progress.

Ellie's sexuality is tough to unravel but it is true that she was always intended as a lesbian by Naughty Dog. It just didn't have a good reason to come up in the main story of TLOU. Though I imagine the "it's fine as long as it's not forced where it doesn't make sense" crowd is probably still trying to argue against it in the left behind DLC.
You may be thinking of Sam, but he and Henry are mostly there to serve as another example of an adult feeling responsible for a younger kid in the post apocalyptic scenario. It is to make the player appreciate how Ellie doesn't get infected, and see what may have been if the premise of Ellie's character was written differently. She bonds with Sam as someone of similar age, much like a heterosexual individual may bond with someone of the same sex. It wasn't romantic in the slightest.
They probably are weak examples because as I said I’ve never seen Korra and I just wasn’t a fan of Left Behind (which I played one time YEARS ago) mostly because of (if I remember right) how much it flipped between past and present, where Riley is there and then not just felt really disjointed.

I do wish they would do more Relationships other than Hetero ones in games more. It’s very rare so, like I said I’ll take what I can get even if I felt like it wasn’t all that satisfying of a conclusion.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They probably are weak examples because as I said I’ve never seen Korra and I just wasn’t a fan of Left Behind (which I played one time YEARS ago) mostly because of (if I remember right) how much it flipped between past and present, where Riley is there and then not just felt really disjointed.
I'd say it's completely fair that you have trouble separating your reaction to the gameplay structure of Left Behind from your reaction to its narrative. It is a bit confusing for sure and players tend to come away from an experience with a broad memory of how it made them feel, rather than separating out aspects and categorizing how they feel about them

I do really appreciate the moments shared between Ellie and Riley in those flashbacks, they're really well done and imo super believable. Unrelated to the topic at hand but it's also great to see Ellie genuinely afraid in a way she really doesn't get in the main game.

Highly recommend giving Korra a watch btw, especially if you liked Avatar TLA. It has its ups and downs but when it's strong, it's really strong.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Seeing people talk about The Legend of Korra makes me think I should go back and watch TLA again. Man I really wanted that IP to be made into a AAA game.
I sort of finished it last time I was in the US over a year ago as my brother and cousin was binging it.
Also remember trying to watch an episode of it while watching the last episode of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai at the same time. Great anime
by the way.

So for me that moment was basically Rascal Does Not Dream of when The Fire Nation Attacked.

Pretty much this.
As someone who loves having a male and female lead together for an anime, very rarely have I seen it actually work. Re:Zero being an example of when it did.

Shroob

Sup?
Seeing people talk about The Legend of Korra makes me think I should go back and watch TLA again. Man I really wanted that IP to be made into a AAA game.
I sort of finished it last time I was in the US over a year ago as my brother and cousin was binging it.
Also remember trying to watch an episode of it while watching the last episode of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai at the same time. Great anime
by the way.

So for me that moment was basically Rascal Does Not Dream of when The Fire Nation Attacked.

Pretty much this.
As someone who loves having a male and female lead together for an anime, very rarely have I seen it actually work. Re:Zero being an example of when it did.
I dunno about that one, chief.

For Rem? Oh sure but, ya know

He loves Emilia and all that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can't talk about good couples in anime and not mention Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ed and Winry's subplot was childhood friends into lovers done so right.

Dutch Raikuna

I dunno about that one, chief.

For Rem? Oh sure but, ya know

He loves Emilia and all that.
Maybe it's cause I really love the series so I'm willing to defend on it.
Meant more as the two leads and if you have seen what is beyond the anime, you'll know. Subaru is willing to die hundreds of times to save her and is the one of the big driving points of the series.
And if you think about Subaru from Emilia's perspective later when the anime ends.
Seen as the devil, frozen in ice and all that, a sketchy as **** clown looking dude backs her and all of a sudden this guy with these strange clothes sees doesn't see her as it.

Although really, for the love of all hell, can someone please in that story figure out everything about Subaru and his background.

You can't talk about good couples in anime and not mention Fullmetal Alchemist.
Ed and Winry's subplot was childhood friends into lovers done so right.
If we are talking about friendships and couples I'd also have Okabe and Kurisu from Steins Gate and Riko and Reg from Made in Abyss in that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom