• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon fans are still arguing whether or not the models should have jumped to 3D almost 7 years later, so be grateful that your other favorite RPGs fanbases aren't have discourses as long as that.

I do have my own answer to the topic, but again, it's a can of worms.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Persona's a mainstream hit and I love it, but I wanna imagine the Persona 2 fan who started up Persona 3 for the first time in 2006 and wondered what the **** they were playing.
I still say they should remake the first two-ish games in the style of the new ones. They’ed need pretty big overhauls. But I think it would be worth it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, my impression on FighterZ is generally impressed, though the story mode is stupid easy right now.

Maining Yamcha immediately though, that dude has hella combos.

D

Deleted member

I still say they should remake the first two-ish games in the style of the new ones. They’ed need pretty big overhauls. But I think it would be worth it.
That's kind of difficult. Both stories from the first two games are designed around high-tailing it to the next dungeon to beat the next boss. There's no time to wait and hang out with the basketball club and your waifu. Demons are running amuck, rumors are spreading out of control, and Hitler's invading Japan.

Like it's possible, but they'd have to severely change the entire game and its progression to fit into the modern gameplay style.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Haven't talked in here for a while. How are you all holding up?
Planning to go on the quiet here for a while. You seem ok.

Pokemon fans are still arguing whether or not the models should have jumped to 3D almost 7 years later, so be grateful that your other favorite RPGs fanbases aren't have discourses as long as that.
It's been 7 years since X and Y came out? I'm old.

Personally I feel like Pokemon just needs to do bigger jumps between generations for features and stuff. Feels like it won't hit the Gen IV/V height for me ever again.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Personally I feel like Pokemon just needs to do bigger jumps between generations for features and stuff. Feels like it won't hit the Gen IV/V height for me ever again.
It needs to go back to 4 year long gens.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I would say post-Awakening to post-Fates. Older FE fans HATED Fates and newer fans were pissed because petting got removed. Echoes was finally where it started dying off and a Three Houses was so damn phenomenal that people just stopped.

as someone who started out at Radiant Dawn, I was just happy to see FE coming back but this is how I saw the two sides during that time.
I think I saw more hate for Awakening than anything. I know there were users here on this site who were permabanned for starting fights. I still have heavy opinions towards the game myself; not that I think it's a game I wouldn't ever recommend.

Fates was also bad, but I don't think the split was as straight, for as you mentioned there were those who were salty solely due to the censoring. Older fans I don't think were as vocal this time around given it wasn't a sequel to an older title, the first new game in years, and not paying as much attention given it took after Awakening. Granted there are those who swear by Conquest, but the opinion towards Fates as a whole I think was also a bit more unified.

Technically a Sacred Stones guy myself, though I still have my old Nintendo Power issues that covered E3 2003 & the launch of the franchise overseas. I remember joining Serenes Forest a short time after I joined Smashboards.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's been 7 years since X and Y came out? I'm old.

Agree, but the last time they did that everyone hated it and called it the worst gen. And then then they tried the same with Gen 7 in terms of expanding story heavy like Gen 5, and everyone hated it for being too cutscene intensive like a regular RPG (I honestly feel like Gen 7 deserved more respect.)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's kind of difficult. Both stories from the first two games are designed around high-tailing it to the next dungeon to beat the next boss. There's no time to wait and hang out with the basketball club and your waifu. Demons are running amuck, rumors are spreading out of control, and Hitler's invading Japan.

Like it's possible, but they'd have to severely change the entire game and its progression to fit into the modern gameplay style.
It's still possible. The stories would just have to be re-worked and re-written. Meaning it they would be more like reboots then remakes, I suppose. Alternate continuities, if you will.

Dutch Raikuna

Agree, but the last time they did that everyone hated it and called it the worst gen. And then then they tried the same with Gen 7 in terms of expanding story heavy like Gen 5, and everyone hated it for being too cutscene intensive like a regular RPG (I honestly feel like Gen 7 deserved more respect.)
I don't know why I pushed away from Gen 7. Just felt like the series failed to impress me after X and Y. And mostly bad timing for me to get the games.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? Bought Persona Q same day instead.
Sun and Moon came out, I was scoffing up trying new RPG series by practically the week. Also came out right before FFXV for me.
Ultra Sun and Moon came out, this time right before Xenoblade 2 so I moved on.
Gen 8. Bought Death Stranding instead of Sword and Shield.

The second design is a good example of censorship done right.

I like Mythra's design in general but I've always thought the window was unnecessary, and the black leggings actually compliment her color scheme rather well, IMO.
You really are a man of true refined tastes. I hate censorship in games but I could disguise it as better fitting her story role in this case. Mythra looks more mature.
Plus I always think fanservice works best if it fits the characters personality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's still possible. The stories would just have to be re-worked and re-written. Meaning it they would be more like reboots then remakes, I suppose. Alternate continuities, if you will.
Well at least they'd market it as such so I wouldn't blame them for tricking the audience. Alright. I'm down for it.

I like Mythra's design in general but I've always thought the window was unnecessary, and the black leggings actually compliment her color scheme rather well, IMO.
But which design do you prefer? You cannot escape this ultimatum.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well at least they'd market it as such so I wouldn't blame them for tricking the audience. Alright. I'm down for it.

But which design do you prefer? You cannot escape this ultimatum.
I'll give the edge to censored Mythra since I feel like less of a creep when she's onscreen.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't know why I pushed away from Gen 7. Just felt like the series failed to impress me after X and Y. And mostly bad timing for me to get the games.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? Bought Persona Q same day instead.
Sun and Moon came out, I was scoffing up trying new RPG series by practically the week. Also came out right before FFXV for me.
Ultra Sun and Moon came out, this time right before Xenoblade 2 so I moved on.
Gen 8. Bought Death Stranding instead of Sword and Shield.
Probably bad timing. This was the era where GF was throwing out a new Pokemon game each year, it was pretty easy to get burnt out.

Considering there's no new Pokemon game coming out this year, as well as the anime not directly tying into SwSh, and that Gen 8 is being supported by DLC instead of new versions, they're probably done doing that (thankfully).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Probably bad timing. This was the era where GF was throwing out a new Pokemon game each year, it was pretty easy to get burnt out.

Considering there's no new Pokemon game coming out this year, as well as the anime not directly tying into SwSh, and that Gen 8 is being supported by DLC instead of new versions, they're probably done doing that (thankfully).
Could this mean..... the next Pokemon game might have more polish and a full natdex?

Wait, that would mean that it would go full open world..... ****, never mind then. Keep the franchise annualized.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I feel USUM kind of hurt the perception of Gen 7 as a whole. With most third versions/sequels they tend to show the best of their region, they give you more options, they give you a lot of replay value, and can even fix up major flaws that the original games had. Gen 4 is a good example of that since DP generally gets a lot of criticism for its lacking Pokedex, slow gameplay, weaker pacing and the like, but Platinum is beloved for its major improvements in those areas on top of adding a lot of content that's still appreciated to this day. USUM didn't do that for SM, along with being a third version coming out at a time where the concept felt dated, it didn't address any of the major flaws with SM as things like the cutscene/dialogue issue was still there, the new content isn't as exciting as what games like Platinum or B2W2 added, and some would even argue it made things worse in some aspects like the story where many hated the changes they made to Lillie and Lusamine. So instead of being the strongest point that people can look at and appreciate the positives, it instead drew more criticisms to the games by having its own woes as well as emphasizing some of the issues SM itself had by leaving them in.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Not to mention that by making her leggings stick out due to the pleasant colour contrast, you draw attention to the thighs and have a hornier energy than bare legs, which was clearly the intention.

Dutch Raikuna

Some days are better than others. This day went south about a half hour ago and I'm feeling upset now. Was pretty ok this morning.
Yeah you left the Discord group. I apologize if it was anything we said that day.

And no offence to the series but in overall quality there's just far better JRPG series for me.
Using a few examples.

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem - Both have been hitting pretty good notes recently and both have been really good quality recent releases.

Tales - Next game is practically a sort of reboot for the series graphically and all.

Final Fantasy - VII Remake was far better than I thought and hopefully the start of a renaissance for the series here.

Persona - You all can speak for me.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails - I'll admit to the world but there has been only "two" games, that have truly, truly above and beyond impressed me since the start of 2018. Trails of Cold Steel Saga and God of War 2018. Some have came close but not to that point.
Trails is pumping out games at max every two years but that's because it's games are like anime arcs.

Pokemon just feels like it's falling far behind in almost every series and has lost its edge to me.

Very well. We can still be friends.
Gonna ask you and my friend Lamperouge Lamperouge here. Do you guys think fanservice works best if it fits the characters personality? Just been thinking about it.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Playing the Guilty Gear Strive beta rn. I wish I could lab to learn the combo system better maaan.

That said there is nothing funnier right now than winning with May and seeing your opponent's avatar disappear as if they were sent to the shadow realm by the kid.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Could this mean..... the next Pokemon game might have more polish and a full natdex?

Wait, that would mean that it would go full open world..... ****, never mind then. Keep the franchise annualized.
I mean, the unfinished DLC looks tons better than the wild area, and they are putting back Pokemon in when they said they wouldn't, so who knows.
I feel USUM kind of hurt the perception of Gen 7 as a whole. With most third versions/sequels they tend to show the best of their region, they give you more options, they give you a lot of replay value, and can even fix up major flaws that the original games had. Gen 4 is a good example of that since DP generally gets a lot of criticism for its lacking Pokedex, slow gameplay, weaker pacing and the like, but Platinum is beloved for its major improvements in those areas on top of adding a lot of content that's still appreciated to this day. USUM didn't do that for SM, along with being a third version coming out at a time where the concept felt dated, it didn't address any of the major flaws with SM as things like the cutscene/dialogue issue was still there, the new content isn't as exciting as what games like Platinum or B2W2 added, and some would even argue it made things worse in some aspects like the story where many hated the changes they made to Lillie and Lusamine. So instead of being the strongest point that people can look at and appreciate the positives, it instead drew more criticisms to the games by having its own woes as well as emphasizing some of the issues SM itself had by leaving them in.
Agreed on that. Ultra was just glorified DLC that did almost nithing fir the series, and was lauded as the definitive version of Gen 7, only burning out even more people.
Yeah you left the Discord group. I apologize if it was anything we said that day.

And no offence to the series but in overall quality there's just far better JRPG series for me.
Using a few examples.

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem - Both have been hitting pretty good notes recently and both have been really good quality recent releases.

Tales - Next game is practically a sort of reboot for the series graphically and all.

Final Fantasy - VII Remake was far better than I thought and hopefully the start of a renaissance for the series here.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails - I'll admit to the world but there has been only "two" games, that have truly, truly above and beyond impressed me since the start of 2018. Trails of Cold Steel Saga and God of War 2018. Some have came close but not to that point.
Trails is pumping out games at max every two years but that's because it's games are like anime arcs.

Pokemon just feels like it's falling far behind in almost every series and has lost its edge to me.
Not saying I agree, but I understand the notion.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like they should do more callbacks. I like a series that acknowledges past events and characters here and there for long time fans, they do a good job at doing this with P3 and P4 in P5 but P1 and P2 never get called back to. I get that it's probably because they happened like 20 years before P5 so it doesn't matter to what's going on in the present but it would still be neat to see.

Don't do that.

Don't give me hope

Using a few examples.

This legitimately makes me sad, Pokemon is one of my favorite franchises of all time.
But seeing all these other series trying to outdo themselves and constantly improve really gives off the impression that Gamefreak doesn't care anymore.

And why should they? They still get money from the cards and the anime so there's no point in making fantastic games if the other 2 sections of the series are doing well

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, the unfinished DLC looks tons better than the wild area, and they are putting back Pokemon in when they said they wouldn't, so who knows.

Agreed on that. Ultra was just glorified DLC that did almost nithing fir the series, and was lauded as the definitive version of Gen 7, only burning out even more people.

Not saying I agree, but I understand the notion.
I'm still mad the DLC doesn't have linear routes. Completely destroyed any interest in purchasing it for me.

D

Deleted member

P2 has fans?
Idon Idon

Gonna ask you and my friend Lamperouge Lamperouge here. Do you guys think fanservice works best if it fits the characters personality? Just been thinking about it.
Why wouldn't it? Women can dress sexily. Anybody who doesn't think that have never been to a club or party. Like I can believe Mythra wears her outfit casually even if I think the real reason she's dressed like that is because it's hot.

Now at the end of the day, fanservice is fanservice. You could give me an entire character analysis about A2 from Nier Automata and why she dressed like that and how in-depth she is, but I'm not looking at that when I play as her lemme tell you.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I am soooooooooooo deflated right now. My dad wanted me to help with getting some stuff to revamp our backyard.... which ended up being 45 or so stone pathways and 6 bags of sand.

God, my back is sore.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So May plays like Balrog.

... the first character I gravitate towards, and they play like my Street Fighter main.

The Guilty Gear devs do not realize the evil they just enabled.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm actually trying to get into Street Fighter, but I have a hard time trying to beat the CPUs in regular SF2 (the arcade version that is), as well as Street Fighter vs. X-Men (also arcade version), so I'm pretty bad at the game lol.

Dutch Raikuna

This legitimately makes me sad, Pokemon is one of my favorite franchises of all time.
But seeing all these other series trying to outdo themselves and constantly improve really gives off the impression that Gamefreak doesn't care anymore.

And why should they? They still get money from the cards and the anime so there's no point in making fantastic games if the other 2 sections of the series are doing well
Pretty much is that when you are the biggest IP in the world.

Without a doubt the DS era was the high point of Pokemon for. SoulSilver, Black 2 and Shadows of Almia all hold as my favourite Pokemon games.

I mean just compare Pokemon's latest entry to the latest Fire Emblem and Xenoblade games the other Nintendo RPG series. Almost every major Nintendo series has made a big jump one form or another on the Switch and has mostly payed off for it. Pokemon feels like it messed up in the transition compared.

Why wouldn't it? Women can dress sexily. Anybody who doesn't think that have never been to a club or party. Like I can believe Mythra wears her outfit casually even if I think the real reason she's dressed like that is because it's hot.

Now at the end of the day, fanservice is fanservice. You could give me an entire character analysis about A2 from Nier Automata and why she dressed like that and how in-depth she is, but I'm not looking at that when I play as her lemme tell you.
Was pretty curious after talking to one of my IRL friends so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for the opinion

We were talking about games like Neptunia and some characters forms and well how one practically is a dominatrix.

Honestly I don't mind fanservice and but it has felt at times distracting.
Then again I am the kid who did play a very fanservicey game on a plane so there's that.

D

Deleted member

Was pretty curious after talking to one of my IRL friends so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for the opinion

We were talking about games like Neptunia and some characters forms and well how one practically is a dominatrix.

Honestly I don't mind fanservice and but it has felt at times distracting.
Then again I am the kid who did play a very fanservicey game on a plane so there's that.
Yeah I got nothing to say about those designs.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of making the jump, when will Kirby make the jump to something bigger? The series has been playing it safe for a long time, and it's really starting to show with more recent games like Star Allies (the DLC had to carry it hard).

Like, it's the last big Nintendo franchise to commit to a big leap. Even Pokemon did that, and they fumbled the bag (with Nebby) multiple times, yet they're still commited with tryig something new with the franchise (whether it works or not).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom