• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, that's the kinda story that doesn't necessarily need a villain, but you could if you wanted to.

See Jojo: Stardust Crusaders as an example.
Ah yes, the story about the quest to stop a powerful villain and every point of the journey is confronting someone loyal to that villain. I can't see how that needs a villain :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

I think the conversation is a bit more....odd than that to be blunt.
I read the entire thing, and while I'm not gonna say anything definitive(because hell no not getting involved in that debate)

That whole exchange was very Snake-like. Digging your heels in on a unpopular opinion despite everyone else disagreeing with you? That's her, all right.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, that's the kinda story that doesn't necessarily need a villain, but you could if you wanted to.

See Jojo: Stardust Crusaders as an example.
.......wait what?

The series which is literally "Monster of the week" with a big final boss doesn't have a villain?

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, the story about the quest to stop a powerful villain and every point of the journey is confronting someone loyal to that villain. I can't see how that needs a villain :yoshi:
My point isn't about the second half, it's the first part of the sentence that's my point.

You don't necessarily need a villain if your story is "going on a grand adventure to do X" but you can if you want to(which is what Jojo did)
That's the point I'm making here.
I just used Jojo as an example because it's the first thing that came to mind that has the whole "going on a grand adventure" plot.
.......wait what?

The series which is literally "Monster of the week" with a big final boss doesn't have a villain?
See the above

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh wait, how about stories with "villains" surrounded by 16 quotation marks? For example, do you know what the overarching villain of the Dragonriders of Pern is?

Space fungus.

Yes, seriously :yoshi:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My point isn't about the second half, it's the first part of the sentence that's my point.

You don't necessarily need a villain if your story is "going on a grand adventure to do X" but you can if you want to(which is what Jojo did)
That's the point I'm making here.
I just used Jojo as an example because it's the first thing that came to mind that has the whole "going on a grand adventure" plot.

See the above
Their whole adventure has the sole purpose of killing DIO. As a result, DIO is the villain of the story for causing the conflict, Holly's illness. Had DIO never came back, Holly wouldn't have fallen ill, meaning the gang wouldn't have gone to Egypt or met Kakyoin or Polnareff. How the hell is this not having a villain?

D

Deleted member

Their whole adventure has the sole purpose of killing DIO. As a result, DIO is the villain of the story for causing the conflict, Holly's illness. Had DIO never came back, Holly wouldn't have fallen ill, meaning the gang wouldn't have gone to Egypt or met Kakyoin or Polnareff. How the hell is this not having a villain?
I'M NOT SAYING JOJO DOESN'T HAVE A VILLIAN, I'M USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE OF A PLOT that uses a villian effectively!

I'm peacing out for now, it's ****ing 5 in the morning, I don't have time to deal with this.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya see:

To a degree, I understand where Snake is coming from.

If a series is to have a villain as the protagonist, it has to be done right, which is why I believe it's doable, but it's difficult.

Death Note to me is the perfect example of this. Light is just... fascinating as a character. He's horrid, don't get me wrong, but it's interesting picking apart his thought process. it's like watching a True Crime show... and there's extreme catharsis in the end when he winds up dead.

Overlord(The anime), I feel like I 'would' have liked/been neutral on... were I to have never found the web novel it was based on. The idea where the MC is a boss in a video game world is neat, but the web novel soiled it for me with just how EDGY the original concept was.... I seriously did not need to know Shalltear hypnotized women and kept them as sex slaves in the original draft, thanks.

Shield Hero is anything BUT a hero. Naofumi is straight up a villain, and this is where it was handled terribly. He's not a hero, he's ****ing insufferable and may as well be a villain in the role of a protagonist. I absolutely hate him and cannot stomach this show lol. You cannot sit here with a straight face and tell me this guy is a 'hero' when he had one of his villains sent off to be ***** to death, then watch the recording.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
If a series is to have a villain as the protagonist, it has to be done right, which is why I believe it's doable, but it's difficult.

Death Note to me is the perfect example of this. Light is just... fascinating as a character. He's horrid, don't get me wrong, but it's interesting picking apart his thought process. it's like watching a True Crime show... and there's extreme catharsis in the end when he winds up dead.

Overlord(The anime), I feel like I 'would' have liked/been neutral on... were I to have never found the web novel it was based on. The idea where the MC is a boss in a video game world is neat, but the web novel soiled it for me with just how EDGY the original concept was.... I seriously did not need to know Shalltear hypnotized women and kept them as sex slaves in the original draft, thanks.

Shield Hero is anything BUT a hero. Naofumi is straight up a villain, and this is where it was handled terribly. He's not a hero, he's ****ing insufferable and may as well be a villain in the role of a protagonist. I absolutely hate him and cannot stomach this show lol. You cannot sit here with a straight face and tell me this guy is a 'hero' when he had one of his villains sent off to be ***** to death, then watch the recording.
Hit the nail on the head with the three examples.
Haven't watched Death Note but I know the story and yeah from what I heard Light was well done.

Overlord is an OK example of it. Wasn't perfect and something about the concept of the story pushed me away from it.

Shield Hero was really a disappointment. Really, instead of Naofumi getting ****ed over by everyone and making him mopey as hell it really should have been him trying to regain his sense of humanity from it, Raphtalia being the key to that.
And also the anime got kinda stupid when they introduced the chicken girl and got worse from there. They messed it up big time there.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hit the nail on the head with the three examples.
Haven't watched Death Note but I know the story and yeah from what I heard Light was well done.

Overlord is an OK example of it. Wasn't perfect and something about the concept of the story pushed me away from it.

Shield Hero was really a disappointment. Really, instead of Naofumi getting ****ed over by everyone and making him mopey as hell it really should have been him trying to regain his sense of humanity from it, Raphtalia being the key to that.
And also the anime got kinda stupid when they introduced the chicken girl and got worse from there. They messed it up big time there.
Dude never had much humanity to begin with to be blunt.

There's dead-ass a passage in the light novel where he watches a recording of someone being ***** to death, and he does it because he just didn't like said person.

Dutch Raikuna

Dude never had much humanity to begin with to be blunt.
There's dead-ass a passage in the light novel where he watches a recording of someone being ***** to death, and he does it because he just didn't like said person.
I meant pre isekaied but yeah you're right.
But hey it's getting a Season 2 and 3 for some un-****ing-known reason when much better deserve that. Konosuba Season 3 and No Game No Life.

Actually I'm okay with the latter not getting one.

D

Deleted member

Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F
View attachment 261638
xD Funny that after the silly comments and the comic, The Witcher 3 is no longer a suggestion after having played Sticky Paws, and it changed to SoW, something more logical. However, Sticky Paws still shows Jedi Fallen Order and Destiny 2. But now it made me wish it had stayed as it was before because it was hysterical.
Sticky Paws has deep, hidden lore when you read inbetween the lines. /s

Shroob

Sup?
And to beat a dead horse:

Villains can be sympathetic, regardless if you agree with their actions or not.

The greatest example being Cartoon Mr.Freeze. Did he steal? Yes. Did he murder? Almost certainly. But all his actions are explicitly to secure funds to keep his wife, and probably himself, alive. You don't have to agree with his actions at all and can make arguments that there are other ways, but he's evil, but he's not evil for the sake of evil.

Hell, Anakin fits this to a T. Look at Anakin's life and tell me he's not a victim of circumstances:

>Be born as a slave
>Get whisked away from your mother at a young age under the guise that "You are the chosen one, you have this massive destiny to live up to"
>Get told you can't be with the girl you love "Because it's not the jedi way"
>Have a 'friend' constantly telling you sweet nothings that go against what you're being taught to believe
>Have your mother brutally killed
>Start having nightmares about the woman you love dying
>"Oops, my best friend/mentor is the bad guy all along, but he can save my wife from dying... but... I have a destiny to uphold"

And it all culminates to Padme dying... by his own hands.

Anakin was doomed from the start.

You don't have to excuse his actions, but you can understand he's kinda a victim himself in a ****ed up way.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I want to share something...

I'm genuinely surprised there are people who haven't had the...... *ahem* "privilege" of hearing Sanji's 4Kids voice. Well let me tell ya, it's not what you expect at all :yoshi:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I want to share something...

I'm genuinely surprised there are people who haven't had the...... *ahem* "privilege" of hearing Sanji's 4Kids voice. Well let me tell ya, it's not what you expect at all :yoshi:
I don't even know who Sanji is honestly.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Little late to the villain topic, (mainly because I was asleep but the way I see it, the purpose of most villains having sympathetic/redeeming qualities is more of a lesson to show that though anyone is capable of rising up and becoming a hero, so are we just as capable of falling into bad behavior and becoming something akin to villainous. People in real life are so quick to label those who do bad things in real life as inhuman monsters and by failing to see that they are human, fail to see their own “evil” capacity and are just as likely to fall into similar traps or become a different type of evil as a result.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ya see:

To a degree, I understand where Snake is coming from.

Wow. I started this conversation at midnight and it’s still going 8 hours later. I must have struck a very powerful cord.

D

Deleted member

Its' being more of a story about the main character finding a person so he travels to various places along the way. So I was thinking of not really adding one.
Sounds a lot like a slice-of-life or roadmovie story. Depending on execution, those generally can work pretty well without a villain.

That reminds me, I really need to watch Kino's Journey again

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
But seriously, 4Kids One Piece has almost become an industry legend despite me regularly seeing it as a kid. It aired between Naruto and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo which were shows I genuinely liked at the time so I slogged through OP :yoshi:

Dutch Raikuna

Sounds a lot like a slice-of-life or roadmovie story. Depending on execution, those generally can work pretty well without a villain.

That reminds me, I really need to watch Kino's Journey again
Kino's Journey was literally the inspiration for it. It's nothing short of amazing for me.

And I got inspired by a few endings of games where the God dies and all thrown into the new world. The "but what happens next in their lives" sort of thing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
true but man, I love the show and Nao anyway lol

D

Deleted member

Kino's Journey was literally the inspiration for it. It's nothing short of amazing for me.

And I got inspired by a few endings of games where the God dies and all thrown into the new world. The "but what happens next in their lives" sort of thing.
On the topic of inspiration, I tend to be inspired by things I see or do.

Like, the original plot for my project(like I’ve said before) was going to be your generic Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but the MC is a character from obscure card game.

I scrapped that very early, mainly because I couldn’t do that plot justice(also it was annoying as hell to make sure I wrote close enough to the canon that it wasn’t worth it for me)

Hell, I was pretty skeptical of having the plot be anything to do with card games in general, but I remembered that Link Joker da existed, and they are perfect villain material because they present a moral challenge to the plot; They aren’t killing, rather they’re toying with the characters by taking those they love and making them turn against them.
That’s where the whole Яeverse Charizard idea came from.

I also have multiple ideas lined up for me to test, including including characters(or cameos) of characters that are nostalgic to me(cough Pirate101 cough) mainly as easter eggs and of no relevance to the plot itself.
I also am inspired by a certain franchise in terms of how I’m hopefully going to handle combat(cough Pokemon Sword and Shield cough)

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Anyone remember Bakugan? I can vaugely remember watching it on CN a long time ago & I think I was on vacation around that time.

Any other anime I've watched from my childhood was Digimon Fusion, Beyblade, and Pokemon among a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom