• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
But there is no good definition as to what is truly good or evil.

Yes, there are certain acts that, yes, you can without a shadow of a doubt point to being evil, but there's also a handful of things you pointed to that you really can't.

Theft? There are countless ways to justify theft.

Murder? Again, murder is very wrong but... if you tell me a story about a man/woman being abused by their spouse and they finally snap and kill the abuser? Yeah, I'm not going to shed any tears for the victim.

Etc

Having this black and white outlook only blinds you.
Only Siths deal in absolutes

Clearly, snake is a sith and thus, a villain

Attachments

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Shroob

Sup?
I think Snake's problem is she can't separate the action from the circumstances.

Like, look at cartoon Mr.Freeze. EVERYONE knows how Heart of Ice goes and why Mr.Freeze is such a sympathetic character. Yes, he steals and probably murdered people, but you understand where he's coming from. You don't have to agree with him or his actions, but he's not a monster.

It's why characters like Harley Quinn work. She's not this MONSTER. She does evil ****, but you can still sympathize with her.

Snake lacks the ability to give empathy to people who do bad things, which.... is ironic considering she was defending Chris-chan a few months ago but k.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I finished reading Moon Knight's original run in the 80's. I like this dude. He's nuts, but he's trying to be a better dude. I know **** gets more screwy for him later on, so I'm expecting things to get even rougher for him.

I think Doug and Bill(one of the OG Moon Knight teams) brought a real unique feel to the book that you don't see much in American hero comics, especially early 80's. Though there's still stuff like Kraven's Last Hunt that has its' own share of unique elements that honestly might not work in any other media.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
And now there are people actively arguing that killing half of the population is a justifiable and good thing. That’s what you get when a villain is the protagonist. It’s one of the many things that soured my opinion of the MCU at the very end. That they actually thought it was a good idea to send that message into a population that‘s this volatile.
People side with villains even when they aren't the protagonist, for one reason or another. Either it's simply because the villains are cooler than the heroes in some way, or it's because they somehow agree with the villain's motives or philosophies. It's not unique to the MCU/Thanos. It's happened with countless other stories throughout media. There are women who have a crush on the Joker because they want to take the role of Harley Quinn, ignorant to the fact that it's at toxic and abusive relationship. You can't control what people relate to or how they interpret your work, you can only seek to make your intent as clear as possible.

The best written villains are the ones that you can almost agree with, but they have a major flaw in their argument or in their methods/morality that makes them the villain. Because no one on this Earth tells themselves "I am evil" or enjoys being evil. People who do evil things do so because they have a warped conscience and believe that what they're doing is good in some way, shape, or form. That's how wars start. Both sides think they're good and righteous, and that the other side is evil and deplorable. There's never a side that goes "We're the bad guys, and you're the good guys."

On that note, though, Thanos, as well-executed as his story is in Infinity War, is one of the weaker versions of that kind of villain. Overpopulation is an overblown issue that people get afraid about because, on paper, it seems like a concern, but real-world studies and statistics show that we really have nothing to worry about in that regard, and that things will level out naturally before we get to some kind of crazy overpopulation like what happened on Thanos's world. Birth rates in most developed nations have been falling for about 50 years.

This is because his motivation/plan was a somewhat hasty rewrite of his original motivation from the comics about romancing the Marvel universe's personification of Death, hence the line from his teaser after the first Avengers movie: "To challenge [the humans] is to court Death." They were going to go with that plotline originally, but changed it somewhere down the line to what we got in Infinity War, which is the overpopulation/resource concern. But because they confirmed that Thanos's snap also killed half of all animal and plant life, too, that means that there's half as much (living) resources for all the people, so the problem isn't even truly solved.

Which, in a way, is part of the intent. Thanos, for how much it seems like he's right and how convinced he is that he's right, is wrong. Because he's not motivated by truly solving the problem/making up for what happened on his planet. He's called "the Mad Titan" because he's truly insane, his core motivation being that he foresaw a crisis, was told that he was wrong, and when he had some validation that he was right, he's now dedicated to proving dead men wrong. This is evident in Endgame when, finding that his great plan failed and everyone hates what the world has become, he just plans to destroy the universe so that no one is ungrateful.

And don't worry about a bunch of people running around out in the world becoming Thanoses and thinking that killing half the population will solve society's problems. I don't think anyone is truly convinced by Thanos, and as I said, overpopulation has been a subject of debate for over 200 years, and we're far from that being an issue, and based on current data, it never will be. So it's not like in 30 years we're going to be on the brink of overpopulation, and some kid who grew up with Thanos is going to say "I have an idea."

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Just played the worst Quickplay match ever. I was against a Mario, and the game lagged SO BAD. Like, it had 500 years of input lag, you press the A button, and it takes like 20 seconds for the move to come out. You wanted to go left, so you push left, but then you move left like 10 years later. It was even worse as I was Erdrick for that match, so everytime I wanted to do Zapple, it ended up doing Kazap because the game still registers me holding the B button after 1000 years of waiting for the move to come out.

I still won because the Mario suicided, but then, lo and behold, that man had 600k GSP.

They do anything for that Elite Smash. Destroying their router included.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
A hero is only as good as it's villian. Like, you want the the hero to win, but at the same time, you also want to see the villian go IN, like going hard or going ape**** all over the place. Characters like Thanos, The Joker, and Vader all do that well. And if the hero can play off them flawlessly, then you a memorable character for the times.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean there's a ton of villains that have sympathetic elements to them. Venom's about as down on his luck as Spider-Man can be, he's just usually ****tier to other people about it. Magneto hates humans because of what happened to his people in WW2, but still became a monster just like the people he hates. The Lizard is a dude who wanted to fix his affliction of not having an arm and didn't expect the man/monster dynamic. Mr. Freeze wants to save his wife, but is blinded by vengeance. Hell, even Piccolo was only really a villain so he could kill the dude who killed his dad, and that people were scared by how he looks.

I'm not a huge MCU guy, I kind of got tired of the movies, compared to more interesting stuff like Spider-Verse. But I do like their Thanos more at least, which is rare for me to say. Cause he's not a ****boi like OG Thanos trying to impress some chick. His reasoning is still incredibly flawed, but it's not as pathetic.

I do prefer Marvel for the most part but Darkseid is a lot cooler than Thanos to the point it isn't funny. Dr. Doom and Galactus are also much better than Thanos if you ask me.

It doesn't mean a majority people want to become like them, and in saying so is pretty hyperbolic and fear mongering.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A hero is only as good as it's villian. Like, you want the the hero to win, but at the same time, you also want to see the villian go IN, like going hard or going ape**** all over the place. Characters like Thanos, The Joker, and Vader all do that well. And if the hero can play off them flawlessly, then you a memorable character for the times.
I'm not sure if I agree on that entirely. A great hero villain dynamic is well....great. But a hero can be interesting in situations without a major villain too. There's plenty of Spider-Man and Batman stuff of them fighting normal ass thugs, and seeing how that effects the people in the worlds they live in, or seeing them interact with the people they swore to protect can be really interesting in and of itself.

Heck the X-Mas episode of X-Men TAS is a good example of this too, it's just a story of heroes helping those in need without a major fight scene and only a minor action scene early on.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Except that death bed conversion meant the end of the tyrannical Empire and the death of Palpatine...

....well, it should've been the death of Palpatine ****ing sequel trilogy!!!:yoshi:
I'm pretty sure Palpatine came back in the old expanded universe too.

Shroob

Sup?
That was stupid. He has basically a death bed conversion and ends up a good guy.
That's not what happened at all.

Darth Vader's change happened as early as episode 5. The minute that the empire told him that there was a living Skywalker, he completely changed. Just because it wasn't an "IN YOUR FACE!" kind of deal doesn't mean it still didn't happen.

Vader did, for all intents and purposes, want to overthrow Palpatine and rule with Luke as a Father/Son duo. It was only when Palpatine hurt Luke that Vader decided that this couldn't go on any longer.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
So I'm trying to figure out a Fighter's Pass 2 via a template, but I'm having issues with the image options. Namely, I think the basic philosophy behind it is that you have close up images(starting from right above the lower half of the character depending the image/character). Somehow I didn't notice that for a while.

The other part is apparently they have colored BG's(for the fan-made ones too) that aren't simply just a copy-paste of the original image's bg. I.E. Take Scorpion, remove the BG, recolor it red quickly. However, I've noticed some of the templates have shades of red(to continue the example), not just a solid color.

The last issue I'm having is with the text(and well, putting the series logo on will be a pain too). For the most part, it's not that hard to do some of this, but the text issue being anything but left-to-right(or basically not at an angle) is a bit harder if you don't have an option beyond MSPaint. The only other option would possibly be asking another user to do so, I guess?

(To be clear, I am asking for advice, yes. >.<)
I put my passes together in Google Slides. I just made the template the background for a slide, added text, and copy-pasted the characters and logos on. Though, this wouldn't give you any way to color the backgrounds.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure if I agree on that entirely. A great hero villain dynamic is well....great. But a hero can be interesting in situations without a major villain too. There's plenty of Spider-Man and Batman stuff of them fighting normal ass thugs, and seeing how that effects the people in the worlds they live in, or seeing them interact with the people they swore to protect can be really interesting in and of itself.

Heck the X-Mas episode of X-Men TAS is a good example of this too, it's just a story of heroes helping those in need without a major fight scene and only a minor action scene early on.
That is true. A hero's powers and abilities are cool and all, but people love seeing their powers pushed to their limit. A villian is the easist way to do that, but it can be done through other methods, like the world surrounding them, or the people they interact with.

Rizen

Smash Legend
That's not what happened at all.

Darth Vader's change happened as early as episode 5. The minute that the empire told him that there was a living Skywalker, he completely changed. Just because it wasn't an "IN YOUR FACE!" kind of deal doesn't mean it still didn't happen.

Vader did, for all intents and purposes, want to overthrow Palpatine and rule with Luke as a Father/Son duo. It was only when Palpatine hurt Luke that Vader decided that this couldn't go on any longer.
That's exactly what happened. Vader does absolutely nothing redeeming until the very end. He even did things like torture Han Solo.

D

Deleted member

This entire topic just reminds me of the tired old "video games cause violence", just in movie form. I'm not gonna go out and punch people just because I've played some Mortal Kombat, nor will I turn into a drug dealer because of Breaking Bad. Just my 2 cents as someone who barely watches movies and TV to begin with, but is tired of that argument being used against games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I put my passes together in Google Slides. I just made the template the background for a slide, added text, and copy-pasted the characters and logos on. Though, this wouldn't give you any way to color the backgrounds.
It allowed you to do directional text?

Though having no options to color the BG's is a problem too. Hrm. For the images, did you upload them in general from your computer? If so, making images with a BG cutout/recolored is much easier.

Shroob

Sup?
That's exactly what happened. Vader does absolutely nothing redeeming until the very end. He even did things like torture Han Solo.
Circumstances circumstances.

What did you want him to do?

If you were in his scenario, what options did he have?

The Emperor was legions stronger than he was and had complete control over... basically everything. Yes, Vader is powerful but let's say he turned on the Emperor.... Congrats, both the Empire hates you and the Rebel Alliance still wants you dead.

What could he have done? In a situation like that, it was smart to simply keep playing it safe and acting loyal to Palpatine until the time to strike was available.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like Porky Minch. He’s up there with Bowser as one of my favorite villains.

Does that mean I want to become a time-traveling dictator child-man who views the world as his game to mess with? No, of course not.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
It allowed you to do directional text?

Though having no options to color the BG's is a problem too. Hrm. For the images, did you upload them in general from your computer? If so, making images with a BG cutout/recolored is much easier.
Yeah, directional text was easy.

I didn't upload the images from my computer, but that is something you can do.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Lol people liking villains and whatever doesn't mean they'll become just like those villains. I know I'm late and I don't have full context, but it's whatever.

Sympathizing and seeing redeeming qualities in people =/= excusing one's bad actions. No one's saying Bowser didn't kidnap Peach and force a marriage onto her against her will; no one's saying Wolf hasn't committed treason and larceny and was seemingly a witness to and has threatened murder and torture (Leon); and no one's saying murderers haven't killed however many people they have. We aren't erasing their mistakes or wrongdoings, but acknowledging areas where we can see improvement into becoming a person in the future that's better than that.

Though depending on your own beliefs, there can be exceptions, and it's alright to have a different opinion, but it seems like going too far to accuse everyone who may somewhat agree with a villain's philosophy or sympathize with them to an extent of having the essentials toward becoming that villain. Whether we can sympathize with them or not, we still acknowledge that these are villains or anti-heros at the end of the day, and not completely free of sin; really doubt people actually have these characters as complete role models.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Hearing people talk about villains.

Working on my story I decided to add one but I'm thinking of not at the same time.

Any of you can think of a long adventure novel/show/game where there is no villain?

D

Deleted member

I have settled on a schedule: only on days I play any Smash Bros. game, which is not every day, will I be on this message board. Anyways...

A birthday prayer for Zinith Zinith before I turn in for the night:
Dear Lord, on this day that we celebrate Zinith's birth, I pray for blessings and joy over Zinith. You knew everything about Zinith before his birth and You have a plan of prosperity and hope for her life! Let him feel confident and ready for the year ahead knowing that You have an order to his steps and a purpose for his life. Help him to find joy in every circumstance in life, knowing that You work all things out for good. I thank You for Zinith, for loving him with unconditional love, and for the promises You have spoken over his life. In Jesus Name, Amen.

So****e, an early birthday prayer for Metal Shop X Metal Shop X :
My prayer for you today is that the almighty God never cease blessing you, and that you see more remarkable days like today. Happy birthday!

P.S.: You have gained a new follower in me. The digital art you share was the thing that did it.

Sayonara! :bowser:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Not to mention not every good story needs a conflict nor that conflict has to be external.

Dutch Raikuna

It's ironic there's a debate about whether villains and villain protagonists happens in the same week Death Note, the series starring possibly the best example of a villain protagonist, gets new manga
Is Death Note good? I've watched about 30-40 anime but its' always been one of the major anime that I don't know whether to watch or not.

D

Deleted member

Hearing people talk about villains.

Working on my story I decided to add one but I'm thinking of not at the same time.

Any of you can think of a long adventure novel/show/game where there is no villain?
Most comedies or sitcoms are like this; stuff that you would find on Disney channel.

No point in having a villain if the point of your show is to be funny, not be an epic or tell a story.

D

Deleted member

Is Death Note good? I've watched about 30-40 anime but its' always been one of the major anime that I don't know whether to watch or not.
I read the first manga chapter from our local library a long time ago, it's fine.

It's a neat concept, but not my thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Raikuna

Most comedies or sitcoms are like this; stuff that you would find on Disney channel.
No point in having a villain if the point of your show is to be funny, not be an epic or tell a story.
Its' being more of a story about the main character finding a person so he travels to various places along the way. So I was thinking of not really adding one.

D

Deleted member

Its' being more of a story about the main character finding a person so he travels to various places along the way. So I was thinking of not really adding one.
Yeah, that's the kinda story that doesn't necessarily need a villain, but you could if you wanted to.

See Jojo: Stardust Crusaders as an example.

Shroob

Sup?
It's ironic there's a debate about whether villains and villain protagonists happens in the same week Death Note, the series starring possibly the best example of a villain protagonist, gets new manga
I think the conversation is a bit more....odd than that to be blunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom